shape
carat
color
clarity

Do natural blue akoya pearls fade?

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I'm drooling over the natural blue akoya baroque pearls on the Pearl Paradise website. I've been reading up about blue akoyas and their color is due to impurities rather than the color of the nacre itself. I also read in several places that the blue color fades or turns yellow. (I know white pearls can turn yellow over a long time.)

If you have bought natural (not dyed) blue akoya pearls, and you've had them for a while, have you noticed any fading or change in color?

Thanks.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have two strands of Japanese baby blue baroque akoyas 7-7.5 and 8-8.5 I bought these pearls in 2009. I also have two strands Vietnamese blue akoyas which I purchased in 2012. All the pearls look the same as the day I purchased them. When they are not being worn I keep them in the box they came in. I hope this helps.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I have blue baroque Akoya earrings purchased in the late 1970s. The color is still true, although most of the nacre has worn off near the cups and posts (I wore these A LOT).

I have a bbA pendant purchased in the 1980s, no color change (also worn a lot).

I have a bbA bracelet that is easily from the 1970s, no color change.

Blue baroque Akoyas are my favorite pearls, and when I found them at PP, I thought I might hyperventilate.

Did I just give away my age? :-o

ETA I have seen the color-enhanced bbA in jewelry stores, and they aren't the same. The natural color has more play, if that makes sense. More pinks and silvers. Imho, the color-enhanced are too dark.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Thank you both. I think I see some natural blue baroque Akoyas in my future.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results