shape
carat
color
clarity

What looks best with Blue Akoya

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I bought a few very inexpensive strands of baroque blue akoyas off of ebay (some of them look like they are just garbage, others look beautiful. I trust the seller, and they were very honest with their listings).

I wanted to use them to string a little shortish rope (34-40 inches) and I wanted to add gemstone beads between the pearls. I was thinking either mystic topaz, london topaz, or aquamarine

thoughts?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'd go with aquamarine, or sky blue topaz. Maybe opal.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a blue akoya strand that I'm planning to do the same thing with. It needs to be longer and I'm considering adding gemstones and perhaps gold rondelles to give it more length and kick it up a notch.

So, I've been looking around and considering different options. The most striking one I've seen has larger smooth black rondelles (either spinel or onyx would work) between the pearls along with a few yellow gold spacers.

For a longer rope, I would consider adding a couple of colors of gemstone spacers. I love labradorite for the blue sheen, but you might want a contrasting color as well.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1423327382|3828823 said:
I have a blue akoya strand that I'm planning to do the same thing with. It needs to be longer and I'm considering adding gemstones and perhaps gold rondelles to give it more length and kick it up a notch.

So, I've been looking around and considering different options. The most striking one I've seen has larger smooth black rondelles (either spinel or onyx would work) between the pearls along with a few yellow gold spacers.

For a longer rope, I would consider adding a couple of colors of gemstone spacers. I love labradorite for the blue sheen, but you might want a contrasting color as well.

I have a 1/2 strand of large black spinel rondelles, and 4 strands of small black spinels.

so I may play around with that!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No mystic topaz, please! It usually looks fake and will cheapen the look.

The black would look good, I think: colour contrast and sparkle for a more modern touch. The aqua would be very elegant and a more classic look. A baby pink tourmaline might look nice as well.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Here is what both strands look like. One was $34 the other $29 so I definitely didn't pay anything for them.

The first strand

blue012.jpg
blue013.jpg
blue011.jpg

second strand

blue021.jpg

I will probably have to trash at least 1/3 of them.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
The nacre is looks kind of thin on some of them so I am going to have to play with them once I get them.

again this is just for a fun strand.

I'm liking the idea of pink tourmaline, aquamarine or black spinel!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Sounds great! I was going to throw in a suggestion for dark blue beads. I am looking forward to your photos.
The pearls looks really great for the price!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you want them to look more blue perhaps blue sapphires..maybe even dark blue..or tanzanite? blue zircons?
If you want to bring out the grey then plump for the black spinels

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
If you want a dark contrast, there's always lapis lazuli.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1423350432|3829059 said:
If you want a dark contrast, there's always lapis lazuli.

That would be nice too!! I have been looking at emerald too. some colombian emerald rondelles look nice.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I think I am going to wait until I get them to see how they look IRL

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
No blue stones. Sterling silver or white gold chains would look smashing. If you try to use blue you'll never match the color and the color will look off, you'd be better off using something completely different.

krissy7

Shiny_Rock
How about small faceted labradorite stones?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover|1423493502|3829751 said:
No blue stones. Sterling silver or white gold chains would look smashing. If you try to use blue you'll never match the color and the color will look off, you'd be better off using something completely different.

I was also thinking columbian emerald rondelles, or black spinels

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Some very pale citrines might complement some of the tones in the pearls. Lighter citirines sometimes go well with labradorite and gold fittings.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps some large Bali silver beads to go with the citirines and labradorite...

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Light citrines sound nice

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I love my light blue baroque akoyas paired with dark blue tops. I bet dark blue sapphires or other stones would look great with the light blue akoyas. Black spinel would probably look good too.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Here are some pics of different ideas. they shipped today, so I am going to wait until I get them to figure out what I am going to use.

Thoughts?

citrine_0.jpg
Citrine

aqua_1.jpg
Aquamarine

pyrite.jpg
Pyrite

emerald_3.jpg
Columbian Emerald

laboradite.jpg
Laboradite

morganite.jpg
Morganite

Also on the table are rough champagne diamond beads, Lapis Lazuli, Black Spinel, Pink Tourmaline

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like the emerald idea, a bit of contrast. Or how about a Gellner type strand, there was one where they used small sections of different color beads, perhaps the paler beads like the labs, morganite, citrine and aquas? Maybe leave out one or two if it's too colourful.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for citrine!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1423493502|3829751 said:

Hmmm. I'm a monochromatic person, I guess. I would at least keep it in pastels.

I love those aquamarine rondels. :angel:

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
crickett - Great project! I'm not much of a jewelry designer but maybe the morganite? Might bring out some of the pink in the pearls? I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

mapo

Shiny_Rock
What are the overtones that you like in the blue akoya? I would pick a stone in the same color as your prefered overtone so it'll really bring out your favorite overtone in the strand. I love this idea btw! You're so creative in your choices.

Editing this to say that of the stones above, I love the color of the emeralds. Such a pretty fresh saturated green. Reminds me that spring is almost here!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I'm thinking back to the Tahitian / spinel "party" strands ... I think faceted black spinel would be pretty.

Yes, I know I said pastels, but it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind. :naughty:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instead of gemstones, how about faceted crystal roundels or beads in pale pink to bring out the blue in the pearls?

DK :))

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I got them today, they are very pretty, and I love their freeformish shapes!

I had some black spinels and moonstone on hand to get an idea

fullsizerender-5_5.jpg
(taken under yellow light, much prettier without the ugly bulbs color.

I kinda really like the moonstone

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I don't suppose you'd care to share the vendor name? Those pearls look pretty good to me!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1423704255|3831124 said:
I don't suppose you'd care to share the vendor name? Those pearls look pretty good to me!

Out of 30" I got about 26 inches of pearls, they are really beautiful.
http://stores.ebay.com/ehretdesigngallery/
is where I got them. I have ordered a number of different strands and beads from them, they are really great

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results