shape
carat
color
clarity

.90 faint pink diamond. Need a pro to look at it :)

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
image_2987.jpg
image_2989.jpg image_2990.jpg

Will this diamond be milky or cloudy? any professional help would be wonderful! Thanks!

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
The report image is too small to read anything. Sorry that I can't help other than that.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's not possible to be sure from the report, but there's a chance: the report mentions that clouds and surface graining are not shown, and I wouldn't think that the clarity characteristics noted in the diagram would be enough to merit an SI2 grade, especially as they're hard to spot in the macro photo. I'd suggest asking the seller to check it for you under multiple lighting sources, or to call it in and see for yourself if they have a reasonable return policy ....

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
How does the macro image look regarding my diamond? Does it look like it would be a very good cut?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you buying it because it's faint pink? If so, the pink will probably be barely noticeable. If you are getting it for the pink, make sure the person who does the setting is very familiar with setting colored diamonds and how to enhance their color. Diamonds by Lauren is one although I'm not sure if they do settings anymore for stones not from them. Typically with a colored diamond the body color is more important than the cut, this is why there are not many round brilliant colored diamonds, RBs tend to return white light rather than show much body color when face up. This is why you'll see more radiant and cushion colored diamonds.

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
Yes I'm buying because it's faint pink and for a .90 diamond I think the price is right. But, am not a professional. We paid just over $3,000. Does that sound right to you? I almost thought that they miss priced it...still kinda do because after purchasing they called to tell me that it's milky even though there is no florescence and it's not described as such on Gia cert. or on the site. I sure hope that it's beautiful. Do you think setting the diamond in rose gold and surrounding the diamond with white diamonds(my grandmothers :))in a halo style will bring out the faint pink a bit?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wynter_rayne|1423086163|3827398 said:
Yes I'm buying because it's faint pink and for a .90 diamond I think the price is right. But, am not a professional. We paid just over $3,000. Does that sound right to you? I almost thought that they miss priced it...still kinda do because after purchasing they called to tell me that it's milky even though there is no florescence and it's not described as such on Gia cert. or on the site. I sure hope that it's beautiful. Do you think setting the diamond in rose gold and surrounding the diamond with white diamonds(my grandmothers :))in a halo style will bring out the faint pink a bit?

Make sure you can return it if you don't like it. I thought it did look weird in the photo and since they actually called to tell you it's milky....no one here would recommend a milky diamond. I really don't think you'll see pink in person but only time will tell. Do you know who you want to have make the ring (since you are re-using diamonds)?

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
How does it look strange in the image? We don't have any idea who will make it as of yet. Btw, thanks a ton for all of your answers. If you have recommendations for making my ring at a decent price, I'll take it. We have diamonds from his grandmother and mine as well. Was going to use one of the three morganite that I purchased recently for my center stone until I found that I'll probably scratch it quite a bit. I'm a busy mom of three and have a severely disabled brother who lives with me full time so I use my hand all the time :) Then I came across the pink diamond above and fell in love with the idea of owning a pink diamond. It looked perfect, until they called. Now I'm worried. I sure wish that all these diamond sellers website would disclose this sort of information before a purchase.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look hazy to me. What I suggest, as long as you can return the diamond, when you get it study it in all different types of lighting. Inside, outside, natural fluorescent, etc. See if you notice anything. Then take it with you to see other diamonds in real life so you can compare it. Then you can decide if it's worth keeping. If it's the pink that drew you to it and it doesn't look at all pink, what's the point?

Keeping it real here, re-using diamonds (esp. if they're small) is not always easy, especially if you want to use them in something like a halo. This is tricky bc the stones need to be the right size, make sure you have enough. etc. If I were you, I would take my complete budget and go to a vendor who uses pink diamond melee and can make you a ring using a colorless diamond with a pink melee halo. Then I would use your grandmother's to make a band. Here are some examples from two companies:

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...g-vs1-cushion-cut-gia-pink-diamond-halo-r5695

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...-round-brilliant-pink-diamond-halo-ring-r5612

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...-round-brilliant-pink-diamond-halo-ring-r5630

http://www.leibish.com/rings-jewelry/white-and-fancy-pink-diamond-3-stone-halo-ring-25608

http://www.leibish.com/rings-jewelry/round-white-and-pink-diamond-double-halo-ring-25552

I have bought from both vendors before and they both have excellent service and honest return policies.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the vendor offers a generous review/return/refund period (no restocking fee), why not take a look at it to see how hazy it is. Faint pink is also very faint so you'll probably need a rose gold cup to make the pink more obvious. The downside of cups for diamond owners who like to clean fastidiously is that it is difficult to keep the diamond super clean, even if using an ultrasonic.

Although I love reusing old diamonds, it can be a challenge due to the different sizes, cut patterns, colours, etc.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's cool to know that your diamond has a pink color component. But as others have said the color will be difficult to appreciate under normal viewing conditions. The faint pink color call By GIA indicates a depth of color just past the near colorless range. It will look similarly white to a round brilliant in the KLM color range. The fact that it is a round brilliant and a decent cut will actually tend to wash out color by returning alot of white light back to your eye. Setting in a rose gold head or cup will create a color impact for the piece, but it is debatable whether it will actually make the stone look pinker. And a custom setting will add to your overall cost.

With an Si2 you always have to be concerned about transparency issues, but the nature of the inclusions listed on the GIA report don't raise any major red flags for transparency and I thought there might be a good chance that the stone is crisp. So I am slightly surprised to see the vendor indicates some haziness.

Overall, you will have to decide how much simply knowing the stone is pink means to you. The price seems attractive, but weighing all the factors you might be better off paying more for an ideal cut near-colorless diamond of higher clarity. You're going to have essentially a white stone anyway, so it might as well be as brilliant as possible - that's the main beauty factor that observers will see. The money you save not having to build a custom setting might very well compensate for the price difference in the center stone.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are different things that cause a diamond to be described as milky in this case probably the clouds in the diamond which do not allow both the light through or to reflect back probably and also the graining could be adding to it as well.....

I don't know why anyone would intentionally pick a diamond with less fire and sparkle over another if you know about it. Without meaning to sound insensitive it's not going to face up like a fancy pink diamond, it's probably just going to look dull.

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
Let me clarify... when I initially bought this diamond last week I bought it not because I thought I would clearly be able to see the pink( trust me I did my research), but because of the idea that I would have something even more rare than a white diamond :) I would know that's it's pink. I also thought from researching diamonds that it would be a very beautiful diamond because of the table being mostly eye clean and all the other stats. I though I knew what I was doing<sigh> So, we bought it and also like stated above recieved the phone call from London. Like I posted above, I really wish there was a statement that Gia, igl, and the others would disclose if a diamond looks milky/ cloudy. How was I suppose to know? In my head I want to see it in person before I throw it away. Wanted a professional to look at what I was looking at, and have all of your advice. I went looking before buying this diamond and almost bought a 3500 .80 cushion from a jeweler but I walked out because I though I could do better than that. I'm a bargain shopper of course. So the idea that I paid 3,300 for a diamond this size and the fact that I would know it's pink is appeasing to me. I just hope it still shines bright a little. They do have a great return policy and I've been speaking with them. So again, the majority of you see the above macro image as cloudy and the m this diamond will be milky?? I will start looking for the replacement if so. Thanks again, you're all so kind and helpful.

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
[urlhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?list=UUbpGeMV4Cn6rs6lU0ME4uBA&feature=share&v=B18MTSgBKos&index=21][/url]
I thought I would get something like this

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wynter_rayne|1423152751|3827778 said:

Link edited to make it work.

It's good that you've seen the video so you know what to expect. If I did not read the description of the video, I would have guessed that it is a white/colourless diamond. As it is, the diamond is almost completely cupped in rose gold, except for one teeny tiny azure. Buy it only if you love it, not for the mind issue of it being rarer than a white diamond.

It sounds like you haven't see the diamond in person?

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
I have not seen it in person. Bought it from 77 diamonds online and they're located in London. The diamond in the picture is an I1 faint pink. So this is kind of what I expected to recieve as far as diamond goes. I thought mine looked eye clean as far as macro image goes. Turns out I might have, or am wrong. I didn't know until after I bought it that it might be milky or hazy, so that was a surprise. Just hope it's not too bad, but obviously I can return it.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wynter_rayne|1423154650|3827793 said:
I have not seen it in person. Bought it from 77 diamonds online and they're located in London. The diamond in the picture is an I1 faint pink. So this is kind of what I expected to recieve as far as diamond goes. I thought mine looked eye clean as far as macro image goes. Turns out I might have, or am wrong. I didn't know until after I bought it that it might be milky or hazy, so that was a surprise. Just hope it's not too bad, but obviously I can return it.
It's good that your vendor is being honest that there is some haziness to the stone. It's not so good that you were not aware of that upfront. But, you will be able to judge for yourself and decide your course of action accordingly.

I would expect the diamond to be pretty bright, especially in good light. Haziness can be a pretty subtle effect. Someone who has not looked at alot of diamonds really needs to compare it side by side with a high clarity stone to be able to fully appreciate the transparency aspect.

The problem with even a little haziness is that it will diminish light performance in multiple ways. In particular, the stone will not do well in low light situations or with the inevitable buildup of film on the pavilion from daily wear. (This problem would be exacerbated if you build a closed in setting in order to try to enhance the color impact of the stone). With such a stone it is especially important to be able to clean it well and to do so often.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Wynter,
Pink Diamonds are a mystery.
I say that because the color itself is far more....elusive in nature as opposed to yellow.
Pink is a softer color. Less obvious than Yellow
For this, and many other reasons, pink diamonds behave far less predictably than yellow diamonds.
For example, the influence of the setting.
Sometimes a light pink picks up a lot of color in the setting, sometimes you really have to convince yourself you're seeing pink.
Same for imperfection.
Sometimes haziness is bad, but I've seen cases where an imperfection causing a bit of haziness helped a light pink color become more apparent.
You might have that type of stone.
You'll know when you see it, not before.

Good luck!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The next problem is, unless you have seen a lot of diamonds or you have something that is a decent cut to put next to it to view at the same time, you are probably not going to realise just how much the sparkle and fire is impacted. The stone will look like it's straining to sparkle or like a really really dirty diamond does, bright in some lighting but not as much fire and sparkle in other lighting particularly indoors and where it is dim.

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
I should have my diamond by the end of next week :) I'll post picture and video for you all to see as soon as it arrives. I plan on taking it to a jeweler when it gets here to compare it umongst other diamonds. Thank you all for your input!

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
image_3215.jpg image_3216.jpg image_3217.jpg
Here are a few images of my faint pink diamond. It really is pretty and looks gorgeous when set with a white diamond halo. It is being set in a custom ring surrounded by both of our grandmothers diamonds in e ring and wedding bands. Will post more pictures when I recieve it :) thanks again for all your help.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have a light pink diamond eternity band and when sitting alone, it doesn't look all that pink. I find that the pink color is most prominent when I stack it in between yellow diamonds & white diamonds. Not even when I stack pink just with white diamonds, does it look that pink, but for some reason, the pink, white, yellow combination really makes the pink pop.

I think that if you halo that stone with white diamonds and cup it in rose gold, you might achieve that very faint pink that you're hoping for. As others have mentioned though, it not easy to recycle small diamonds - especially for a halo setting, where everything needs to be the same.

img_7432.jpg

Chihuahua6

Shiny_Rock
momhappy|1426941215|3850551 said:
I have a light pink diamond eternity band and when sitting alone, it doesn't look all that pink. I find that the pink color is most prominent when I stack it in between yellow diamonds & white diamonds. Not even when I stack pink just with white diamonds, does it look that pink, but for some reason, the pink, white, yellow combination really makes the pink pop.

I think that if you halo that stone with white diamonds and cup it in rose gold, you might achieve that very faint pink that you're hoping for. As others have mentioned though, it not easy to recycle small diamonds - especially for a halo setting, where everything needs to be the same.

WOW! I have never seen a combination like yours, the three bands of different color diamonds. That is the most stunning thing I have seen in a long time. I might just show my future fiancé ; )

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Thanks =)
I know that it's not exactly what OP was inquiring about in this thread, but I was just trying to demonstrate that light pink can look more pink in various circumstances. I'm curious to see how OP likes her stone - please keep us updated!!!

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
Omg, this is almost exactly what I have being made. Check these pictures out!! Btw I was able to find someone to use all of our grandmothers meeee diamonds to put into our rings. The engagement ring are all of my grandmothers diamonds and the wedding bands are both made from his grandmothers diamonds. The diamonds going up the side next to the pink gold filagree are pink diamonds and my diamond is also a pink diamond. Here are the cad images!! It will be finished in 3 weeks :) image_3231.jpg image_3232.jpg image_3233.jpg image_3234.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's great that your rings are coming along beautifully. Having contrasting bands make the coloured diamonds pop more.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone & gorgeous set of rings. :))

Wynter_rayne

Rough_Rock
Mom happy. I was on another thread and saw another post of yours with your e ring and different bands than the ones you have posted here. How many do you have and can I see the different variations?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results