shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Anybody have a white 9.5-10.5mm strand?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Hoping someone can help! I have the opportunity to swap my Pearl Paradise 9-9.5mm strand for the larger 9.5-10.5mm version. I thought I liked the 9-9.5mm size but when I received mine I thought it looked small. Now PP has a larger one in my preferred overtone.

Does anybody have a Freshadama or other freshwater strand in this same size? I'm torn, but I have no perspective shots.

All advice gratefully received!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry...for a minute there I thought my white metallics were the right size to show...but a quick double check of my account shows that they are actually 8.5 - 9.5 mm. It's PDD (pearl dysmorphic disorder)! Where you think that the body of your pearls are bigger than they actually are!

My 2 cents: If you thought that the 9 - 9.5 were too small, go for it! Worst case, you think that these are too small too, and send them back.

Or, ask for PP to send you a neck shot. It sounds a little stalkerish and creepy, but they will understand.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Is the second strand graduated? The size ranges don't correspond ... but my math skilz are pathetic.

There isn't a whole lot of difference in size... Sometimes smaller pearls have better lustre.

There have been topics about pearl size and how ladies keep sizing up. Ah, PDD, that's it!

My white strand is 10mm, but when I compare two stud earrings (9mm and 10.5) there is a substantial visual difference. If you think 9mm is too small, go ahead and swap. Let us know how it works out!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Mine are 11mm all the way around and are not white. Sorry , no help here.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Given their wonderful return policy, I say go for it! I would err on the larger rather than smaller pearl.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Keep in mind that larger pearls are heavier, if that's an issue.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you need both and should wear them together........

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
This is a terrible photo but perhaps it might help you with perspective. Here I'm wearing my mom's 10-11mm FWP strand.

_26634.jpg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well your mom's gorgeous pearls don't look too big on you so I would go up a size to the 9.5-10.5 . The will look quite a bit bigger than the ones you bought...remember it's not a linear measurement .. that 1mm ... it's volume . The whole thing is one mm larger. Makes quite a difference. Would be beautiful !

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
that size looks fab on you, Tuc!
also, while small pearls may look good on a younger woman, larger pearls look better on an older woman.
whatever you buy now you want to be able to wear many years from now....go with the larger size if I cannot convince you that you need both!

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks katbran and movie zombie, I posted the photo so Jambalaya could have an idea on perspective, but I forgot to mention I am petite, 5 ft 4 in. I was in my early 30s in that photo and I definit don't think they looked too big on me, but I guess that's personal taste, too. In sum, I would definitely would go for the upgrade if I were you.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Ennui - The pearls aren't graduated. The size is listed as 9.5-10.5mm on the PP website, but it's not a graduated strand. Maybe there's a 1mm range (instead of 0.5mm like the 9-9.5mm one) because the Freshadamas are harder to find the larger they are, I don't know. Re. the heaviness...hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I do get a sore neck sometimes from an old car crash injury. I wonder how heavy the large Freshadamas will be. But I think I could cope, for the sake of vanity, haha!

Cmd - yes, I did think that the 9-9.5mm was too small. Chenai measured it and said that it was closer to 9mm, whereas my Freshadama studs are 9.5mm. The studs look much larger than the necklace. And yes, PP did send a neck shot. The 9.5 - 10.5mm is significantly larger. Gulp. Can I do this??

Nacrelover - thanks for your reply! Yes, I think that 11mm wouldn't be a help because in my experience, just a small mm difference can make a big visual difference.

Pirard - maybe you're right. I certainly found the 9-9.5mm too small.

Movie Zombie - get both? You are naughty! I appreciate your thoughts on pearl/age. To be honest, I am starting to see some turkey neck (hence the hasty purchase of some Clarins neck cream recently!) and perhaps the larger pearls with their luster would be a great distraction from that. I mean, it's only going to get worse, isn't it. Hmm.

Tucs - thank you so very much for posting a photo. Much appreciated, and yes, it helps. I agree, they don't look too big on you at all.

Katbran - yes, it's amazing how much bigger the PP 9.5-10.5mm looks, compared to the 9-9.5mm. They look about a third bigger.

The thing I'm asking myself is, do I want to have about $1,300 (post-coupon) tied up in a string of pearls? That's quite a lot of money to me. Although I really like pearls, I don't wear them exclusively like our real pearl enthusiasts! I have a lot of other jewelry that I wear, too - lots of silver.

On the other hand, this would be a lifetime piece, and although I'm not young, I hope to get another 2-3 decades in at least. Plenty of time to wear them!

I also don't think they'd have to saved for special occasions, as long as I didn't wear much other jewelry with them during the day. The idea of a freshwater strand was to be able to wear it a lot if I wanted to, unlike my 7-7.5mm akoya strand which is more delicate.

Although I wanted this freshwater strand as something to wear during the day, the sizing just seems to have grown and grown! I had the white metallic 8.5-9mm strand, the largest that PP carries, and it was too small so I sent it back. Then the PP 9-9.5mm pearls were too small. Now I have this option, and they look muuuuuch bigger in the photos.

Can I do this? :D

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
"The thing I'm asking myself is, do I want to have about $1,300 (post-coupon) tied up in a string of pearls?"

I know exactly what you mean ... it's a considered purchase, not an impulse. Ask yourself how much wear you would get out of them. It's all about cost per wear. Would it be $1300 sitting in a drawer, or $1300 around your neck that you love and makes you feel pretty?

It's also a lifestyle consideration. I find that white pearls are more traditional and dressy. I like white pearls, but I don't wear them as often as the casual exotics.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you about the price investment. It's what has stopped me every time I have thought about going the freshadama route. I recently priced out a triple freshadama 7.5 - 8mm strand, and realized that it was not in my budget for the moment. Yes, they are beautiful, but do I really want to spend what I consider serious jewelry money on a freshwater strand, or would I really rather save a bit longer and get an akoya or a Tahitian strand, or another type of jewelry altogether, or maybe a vacation....

I guess the question becomes whether you really want something of this size, and if you really want that size in a white pearl? Would you wear it a lot and feel like a queen in it? If yes, then $1300 is fairly inexpensive for that type of look, as your options would really be a freshwater strand or a similarly sized akoya (which would probably run you $4400 to $5K for a 9.0 - 9.5mm strand) or a round WSS strand (which start at $4K for an off-round strand).

An alternative might be to consider moving down to an AAA freshwater rather than the freshadama. You'd lose on luster, but could probably get the same size and close to the same level of roundness for quite a reduced price. It depends on how much of a luster and shape perfectionist you are whether or not you'd be happy if you went that route. Personally, what I have learned about myself is that I'd rather save up and splurge for what I really want, because if I buy "good enough for now" I'm just going to end up spending more money later on what I really wanted, and feel guilty that I wasted money on the lesser piece.

All that said, make sure that you can afford the splurge. I know for me if I haven't first done all the 'responsible' things (retirement contributions, debt repayment, savings plan, etc.), I will feel too guilty to truly enjoy something that I've bought. But if it's truly fun money....well....happy days!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1423179787|3828014 said:
"The thing I'm asking myself is, do I want to have about $1,300 (post-coupon) tied up in a string of pearls?"

I know exactly what you mean ... it's a considered purchase, not an impulse. Ask yourself how much wear you would get out of them. It's all about cost per wear. Would it be $1300 sitting in a drawer, or $1300 around your neck that you love and makes you feel pretty?

The money would spend the next X years sitting in a savings account. I don't need it for living expenses. But still, I consider myself frugal (except for jewelry purchases, which are carefully considered and usually bought in sales/with coupons etc. and they have to have a certain quality/diamond weight to be worth it).

So even though I could afford it, I still think it's a lot of money.

I saw your other post about pearl prices going up. Another reason to get it.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I found this -- "Prices are rising in response to the vast improvement in freshwater quality." So, freshwaters are now comparable to Akoyas, I guess?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cmd2014|1423180062|3828018 said:
I hear you about the price investment. It's what has stopped me every time I have thought about going the freshadama route. I recently priced out a triple freshadama 7.5 - 8mm strand, and realized that it was not in my budget for the moment. Yes, they are beautiful, but do I really want to spend what I consider serious jewelry money on a freshwater strand, or would I really rather save a bit longer and get an akoya or a Tahitian strand, or another type of jewelry altogether, or maybe a vacation....

I guess the question becomes whether you really want something of this size, and if you really want that size in a white pearl? Would you wear it a lot and feel like a queen in it? If yes, then $1300 is fairly inexpensive for that type of look, as your options would really be a freshwater strand or a similarly sized akoya (which would probably run you $4400 to $5K for a 9.0 - 9.5mm strand) or a round WSS strand (which start at $4K for an off-round strand).

An alternative might be to consider moving down to an AAA freshwater rather than the freshadama. You'd lose on luster, but could probably get the same size and close to the same level of roundness for quite a reduced price. It depends on how much of a luster and shape perfectionist you are whether or not you'd be happy if you went that route. Personally, what I have learned about myself is that I'd rather save up and splurge for what I really want, because if I buy "good enough for now" I'm just going to end up spending more money later on what I really wanted, and feel guilty that I wasted money on the lesser piece.

All that said, make sure that you can afford the splurge. I know for me if I haven't first done all the 'responsible' things (retirement contributions, debt repayment, savings plan, etc.), I will feel too guilty to truly enjoy something that I've bought. But if it's truly fun money....well....happy days!

Thanks, cmd! Yeah, I can afford it, the question is, do I want to afford it? I say this because I'm not exclusively a lover of pearls. I wear all types of jewelry.

I'm a serious luster person. I adore the glassy sheen of high-end akoyas, but no way am I spending what that would require in this size!! Also, I didn't think I was a roundness freak until I saw my white metallics and thought they looked somewhat squashed. So for me, I don't think the AAA would be right for this purchase, although it's a great idea and I've bought quite a few AAA pearls since October - lavender double strand, matching studs, 26-inch strand, and more (Will do a show-and-tell when I finalize my Freshadamas.) I love the AAAs, but for this I wanted the high-sheen look of akoyas without the 4-5k (or more) price tag.

For me, I think this purchase is about size and price. The 9-9.5mm were small, but the 9.5-10.5mm looks WAY bigger! I guess I'm just concerned if these will go to another extreme - but I guess I can always return them.

Just thinking about that money. Although, I've already got $825 invested in the Freshadamas that were too small. With the 20% coupon, the necklace would be an extra $447.

Just managed to upload the comparison pics from PP. The smaller one is 9-9.5mm and the larger one is 9.5-10.5mm.

comp_neck_shot.jpg

_26696.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ennui|1423180831|3828031 said:
I found this -- "Prices are rising in response to the vast improvement in freshwater quality." So, freshwaters are now comparable to Akoyas, I guess?

If the luster and roundess can be equivalent to akoya then maybe freshwaters can be seen as better, because they're solid nacre. So perhaps, in the fullness of time, top-grade freshwaters will end up more valuable than akoyas!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Well, they look great together, so maybe you do need both. :naughty:

Since you're talking about 2-3 decades going forward, I think you'll be happier over time with the larger pearls.

Btw ... when you started this topic, did you want us to talk you into the swap, or out of it? Trust your instincts ... if you think you shouldn't trade up, go with that. :angel:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, dang, for an extra $447 I'd jump at the bigger ones! I'd justify it by saying that most of it was already paid for!

They look beautiful! Now I'm jealous! :bigsmile:

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Jambalaya, over the years you will be very happy to have spent the extra $447... what is that, $22 per year over two decades...?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ennui|1423181441|3828041 said:
Well, they look great together, so maybe you do need both. :naughty:

Since you're talking about 2-3 decades going forward, I think you'll be happier over time with the larger pearls.

Btw ... when you started this topic, did you want us to talk you into the swap, or out of it? Trust your instincts ... if you think you shouldn't trade up, go with that. :angel:

I agree!

you need both! over the course of 20-30 years you'll get your $'s worth.....

i'm like you in that I also wear a lot of silver, mix metals, mix stones w/pearls, etc......AND like you I just can't bring myself to buy more expensive pearl strands even though I can/could. I am really happy with freshwaters but have picked up other types of pearls periodically "just cause".....

I would also add that I've found the really white and really round pearls to be nice but my heart is starting to belong to ovals......it seems I can go dressy or not more easily with ovals......and off white seems to be a really good color for me.

having said enough about me I would add that if you only want one strand and cannot bring yourself to have the two despite my best attempts to tempt you, well, the larger ones I think look the best on you and over the 20-30 years will give you more enjoyment.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ennui - I don't know if I want to be talked into or out of it! "wrings hands." Yes, I will go with my instincts. Good plan! I'll try.

cmd - yes, the $447 is a good justification! But these were meant to be daytime pearls; however they're just getting bigger! I thought the 9-9.5mm was too small for my daytime requirements, haahaha! But the next size up looks SO much bigger. Hm.

Tucs - I like your sums. $22 per year. Sounds good! Is that what's called "creative accounting"?? Hahaa!

Movie Zombie - I definitely can't have both!! But I do like the way you think. Yes, we are similar in that we're not dedicated just to pearls, so it's harder to spend a four-figure sum on them.

Hmm. Hmmm.

What about the size difference between the 9-9.5mm and the 9.5-10.5mm? Isn't it crazy?

I guess I could just go for the larger size and if I think they're too large, I can always return them.

Lying in bed last night, I had a radical thought: If the small ones are too small, and the large ones are too large.....maybe I end up with neither!

:o

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect as soon as you've worn them a few times they won't feel too big (remember you won't wear them with the 9.0-9.5mm strand next to it). Then again, you can only know if you try them -- if you're in the US, if I were you I would order them and try them on for a few days.

I understand the daytime thing, but I think that if you didn't find the 9.0-9.5mm too dressy, you won't find these too dressy, either. In my modest opinion, round white pearls always look a bit more on the formal side, regardless of the size (I usually wear jeans, so perhaps that's just me).

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm ... Jambalaya, are you still within the return window on the first strand?

Since you speculate that you end up with neither ....

Speaking only for myself ... the best decisions are the ones you don't need to think about. The answers are in your heart, not in your head.

Maybe the money would be better spent on an unknown third choice?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya said:
Lying in bed last night, I had a radical thought: If the small ones are too small, and the large ones are too large.....maybe I end up with neither!

:o

Somehow I doubt that you'll end up being the goldilocks of pearls! But if you do, I'm sure PP will help you out.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you need to get past the idea that they might not be everyday pearls ... you can change the look by just adding a few little things .. a fine gold chain with tiny charms etc It's a lifetime investment. Take a look in your closet and find 5 things you never wear and add up the cost. You will never look back on the pearls and wish you had never bought them.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think whether jewelry looks like a "daytime look" probably depends on what you are wearing with it. I find my large white strand doesn't look super formal, mainly because I tend to wear it to work on more casual days (ie with colour rather than the normal black or charcoal suit). I also wear my white pearls more in the summer with bright colours as they feel less formal than my dark sets.

For dress up though it fancies up nicely with a black dress, especially when I pair it with my smaller strand into a triple.

So I think the clothes and makeup set the tone rather than the pearl size.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tucs - yes, I usually wear jeans, too. I think pearls can look nice with jeans, and I also like to wear pearls with a leather jacket. And yes, the 9-9.5mm were too small, but the next size up looks a lot bigger, as you can see in the photos!

Ennui - I did think about ending up with neither, and yes, I'm within the return window. However, the two strands currently put aside for me (the one I returned and the larger one) are super-lustrous, and if I ordered one in the future, it might not be as nice. My 9.5mm Freshadama studs are really dull. Prices may also go up. So there are reasons to grab one now, if I feel I might get one at some point in the future - which I do.

Katbran - Yeah, I wanted freshwater pearls for everyday instead of delicate akoyas, but between the price and the size of these, they're starting to seem more dressy than that. But the 8.5mm white metallics were too small, then the 9-9.5 Freshadama were too small....But the next size up looks a lot bigger. I guess I could try out the bigger ones though. If I don't like them, I can always return them. I might regret spending $1300 on pearls if I end up not wearing them that often. I do find that I can easily forget about all my pearls, but then when I do get them out, I enjoy wearing them.

cmd - I agree that it depends how you dress re. how formal pearls look. I hadn't thought about it, but you're right - it's great how pearls can look less formal with lighter colors and dress up really well with black.

I've had four nights of very interrupted sleep (I'm a carer) so I think that's why I'm finding a decision hard. Feel more than a little brain-addled. Hope to make a decision in the next couple of days. Chenai said that when the two strands are together they look the same luster-wise (see photo above) but not so much on the neck. I have to find out whether she means the smaller strand looks more lustrous on the neck in real life or if she just meant in this photo. However, I have read before on here that the smaller the pearl, the more lustrous it looks.

Thanks, everyone! :wavey:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya said:
Chenai said that when the two strands are together they look the same luster-wise (see photo above) but not so much on the neck. I have to find out whether she means the smaller strand looks more lustrous on the neck in real life or if she just meant in this photo. However, I have read before on here that the smaller the pearl, the more lustrous it looks.
The smaller strand does look more lustrous in the neck shot but not in the bust shot.

As far as size goes, I'm all about larger pearls. My white 11-13mm ripples get lots of wear and go with everything so the larger strand is not more formal/dressy in my mind. I actually think smaller pearls look more conservative and formal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results