shape
carat
color
clarity

All inclusive resorts?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1422764420|3825334 said:
I absolutely hated the idea of cruising on large ships until I went on my first Celebrity cruise and have since done another. Luxury, boutique ships are for the very rich (think 10K per person & up). If you shop through CruCon or TravelZoo deals - you can find very nice, very clean & fun cruises on (mid-high mid) brands like Celebrity. Those ships aren't full of young partiers like Carnival or Royal C. ... or families like Disney ... If anything, they veer toward retirees and middle-aged folks. Cruise Critic has forums like here that can be a great resource for planning and advice from people who have taken the exact cruises you're considering. With inside knowledge of the excursions and what excursions to buy from the cruise line or schedule independently or book in person once you get to port. LOTS of scoop. BTW ... neither my husband nor I got stomach sick at all on two 12+ day cruises - but during one cruise I threw my back out, and the medical help on board was very responsive and helpful. There are hand sanitizer stations EVERYWHERE. If you stick to better brand boats I doubt you'll have a problem. (And it doesn't have to be "boutique!" :))

Had wonderful all-inclusive experiences at St. James Club in Antiqua & Le Sport in St. Lucia. St. Lucia being a bit more lush/tropical/rainforest/volcano kind of place ... Antiqua more flat & typical beachy.

DID NOT LIKE my two trips to Mexican Riviera and have sworn to never visit Mexico again. I thought the people were incredibly rude and shiestery. And BOTH times my credit card # was skimmed at some point. Also, if you rent a car, the local cops pull you over and try to shake you down for cash. AVOID!!!!!!!

I'm certainly not knocking Celebrity cruises, but they've had their fair-share of norovirus outbreaks over the past 5 years or so. This site allows you to look up gastrointestinal outbreaks by year and by cruise line: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm
Glad to hear that you've never gotten sick, but it still happens sometimes.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1422809532|3825520 said:
OH!! packrat, this may be worth looking into!! The new Breathless resort opens in MARCH 2016!! It looks like on side is bay and one is ocean side, so could be cool!!

http://www.breathlessresorts.com/riviera-cancun?__utma=1.795244686.1422808717.1422808717.1422808717.1&__utmb=1.0.10.1422808717&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1422808717.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=143185717

Yes, looks nice! Too bad it's adults only - I've been looking for someplace new to take the kids over spring break.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
JD is making up dates and checking prices so we have an idea.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We're reading about the different resorts and thinking to do it up right w/7 nights at Maroma Beach if we get spring break next March. We could leave after school Thursday and drive to Omaha, fly out of Omaha early the next morning. Then fly back late the following Friday and spend the night in Omaha again, having two days to try to come back to the real world of craptastic not quite spring in Iowa.

We've been picturing ourselves at some of the things, and laughing...JD's like how bad ass would it be to have a swim out room? I said oh jeez I can just see us giggling as we're swimming along ooo lookit us lookit-the pool's right outside our *room*! He said the blurb about it was you can walk for miles in either direction on the beach--and then we discussed how we'll be the ones chasing each other down the beach knocking each other to the sand and pushing into the ocean.

If the water is warm I'm totally never getting out.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's the AMResorts repeat guest plan? We were reading reviews on cheapcaribbean and they talk about being hustled to buy this. But those are reviews from like 4 years ago.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422826307|3825644 said:
We're reading about the different resorts and thinking to do it up right w/7 nights at Maroma Beach if we get spring break next March. We could leave after school Thursday and drive to Omaha, fly out of Omaha early the next morning. Then fly back late the following Friday and spend the night in Omaha again, having two days to try to come back to the real world of craptastic not quite spring in Iowa.

We've been picturing ourselves at some of the things, and laughing...JD's like how bad a$$ would it be to have a swim out room? I said oh jeez I can just see us giggling as we're swimming along ooo lookit us lookit-the pool's right outside our *room*! He said the blurb about it was you can walk for miles in either direction on the beach--and then we discussed how we'll be the ones chasing each other down the beach knocking each other to the sand and pushing into the ocean.

If the water is warm I'm totally never getting out.

YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!! I really hope you can do Maroma -- it's heaven!

I wouldn't advise a swim out room -- they are super overrated and not all that great. You'd be on ground level and the water is shaded all day and cold... All the suites are super nice, so if you wanted to upgrade a little, just get a good ocean view room (buildings 16, 17, 26, 27).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ohhh good tip! I don't dig cold water. Welp, ixnay the swim out oomray. Any other tips? We're still looking at the other resorts too, just in case, budget wise.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422828334|3825655 said:
What's the AMResorts repeat guest plan? We were reading reviews on cheapcaribbean and they talk about being hustled to buy this. But those are reviews from like 4 years ago.

Yeah, we never messed with that -- it's basically a trick to make you listen to a 2 hour speech about time shares -- DO NOT GET SUCKED IN -- we just politely said we were going to take a nap in our rooms. LOL :lol:

Just follow the instructions your travel agent gives you about airport etiquette (basically, go straight outside to your transfer after customs and IGNORE EVERYONE IN THE AIRPORT HALLWAYS), and you'll be fine. It's nothing, just annoying, and they'll try to hustle you to get you to listen to their speech about excursions and such. They claim to be with the hotels, but THEY ARE NOT. IGNORE. I wish I had a copy of our "Welcome Brochure" we printed for our guests -- I wrote about that type of thing at length, bc I knew our Southern families who'd never traveled to Mexico would want to be polite and end up spending vacation time listening to a bunch of bs... thankfully, they did read it and rushed right by them saying "no, thanks" and all was well! :bigsmile:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops! I forgot to add building 25 to the ocean view group (it's also a "Preferred Club" building, along with 16, 17, 26, 27). We were in building 25, and this was our view...
smb_7.jpg

Here's a map of the layout -- you can see building 25 is the furthest away of the "ocean view" buildings, but we thought it was great! :bigsmile:
riviera-maya-secrets-maroma-resort-map.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Note: if you look at the photo of our view, you can see the shaded "swim out" pool below us -- they were COLD!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop, I showed JD your pictures from Maroma and he's like yep yep that's it, that's more like it!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422832737|3825683 said:
msop, I showed JD your pictures from Maroma and he's like yep yep that's it, that's more like it!

Giiiiirrrllll, if you only knew!! It's freakin' fab -- the only "downside" is that it sets the bar so dang high, you'll be hard pressed to find one that's better! (first world problems, I know...) :bigsmile: :lol: :lol:

I'd be happy to share more photos with you and/or answer any other questions by email if you'd like... just let me know! :) (I know these people are getting sick of my pic-posting-ways! LOL

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh I loooove looking at pictures! If we end up *not* being able to swing Maroma, which would be the next one you would recommend? JD didn't seem too thrilled w/the idea of the natural beach, but we figured we probably could/would just stay busy in the pools or elsewhere. Do you have anything up on LT or DB? I do if you want to hook up there? JD probably will have some questions as we go...I'm just about over the moon giddy at the possibility of going someplace after this many years so once I settle down I probably will too!

Oh, I know, clothes-do we need to have dress clothes?

Better start working out so's I can be presentable!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422833913|3825690 said:
Ohhh I loooove looking at pictures! If we end up *not* being able to swing Maroma, which would be the next one you would recommend? JD didn't seem too thrilled w/the idea of the natural beach, but we figured we probably could/would just stay busy in the pools or elsewhere. Do you have anything up on LT or DB? I do if you want to hook up there? JD probably will have some questions as we go...I'm just about over the moon giddy at the possibility of going someplace after this many years so once I settle down I probably will too!

Oh, I know, clothes-do we need to have dress clothes?

Better start working out so's I can be presentable!

If you're pool people, then the natural beaches won't mean a thing to you -- when we go, we want awesome accommodations, amazing pools, and most importantly... GREAT FOOD AND DRINKS! :bigsmile:

I would recommend Silversands, as I've been there three times and it's always good. The beach is natural, but they have great pools, so... I'm about to leave work, so I'll see about LT when I get home -- if not, I'll do a "dummy listing" to we can exchange emails.

Dress code: maxi-dresses, sundresses, capris, etc
Men: most of the restaurants require a polo and long pants (no flip flops and closed toe shoes for men)

We pretty much wore our swimsuits all day and got dressed for dinner/club/activities each night... :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Secrets Playa Mujeres just opened in November, so I would most definitely look into that one! It looks really nice.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well perfect-his only concern was the natural beach, so we'll still keep it narrowed down to those two then! We probably would do the ocean just to say we did it, if it's rocky/seaweedy or whatever, and then mostly stay in the pools. So long as the water is warm I don't care. I've only been in the ocean twice, Texas and then in Nassau, but I did love it. Buuuut I am also obsessed w/sharks...and I really dislike having a theme song pop into my head when I'm in the water. How I'm going to be able to snorkel or learn to scuba dive I haven't quite figured out yet.

And yay for having to go shopping for clothes to take! :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1422836924|3825709 said:
Secrets Playa Mujeres just opened in November, so I would most definitely look into that one! It looks really nice.

It does look really nice! I said something to my lead teacher about hoping we get a spring break next year and she said the teachers would revolt if we didn't, so I would think we should be able to book in August for next March!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've now watched two Datelines that have missing people from a cruise-one I watched a couple days ago but I'm pretty sure it was the same cruise line and actually even the same ship. No cruises for me.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1422837386|3825712 said:
msop04|1422836924|3825709 said:

It does look really nice! I said something to my lead teacher about hoping we get a spring break next year and she said the teachers would revolt if we didn't, so I would think we should be able to book in August for next March!

HA! Yeah, they would totally revolt! :praise:

You know what would be the best of both worlds?? Book for Silversands or the new resort in PM, then just do a snorkeling excursion! That way, you've got the pools AND a day in the gorgeous ocean water!! Perfect! ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As soon as you find out your spring break dates, try to book ASAP -- the earlier you book, the better! (even if it's 9-10 months ahead of time)

Also, I'm sure this is a big *well, duh...* moment, but try to schedule your flights such that you arrive in Cancun as early as possible and leaving as late as possible, so you won't burn those arrival/departure days. :wacko: :bigsmile:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
found you!

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Are you dead set on an AI? I find that they, particularly if you are not drinkers, are very insular and for the most part, have mediocre Americanized food...are not a great value. When I go to a different country, I want to feel like I'm in a different country and experience local culture..but that's me :) If that's your thing, then go for it.

I agree that the Keys are a great 'easy' vacation. My dad was a ranger at Pennekamp for several years and it is beautiful. And that drive from Key Largo to Key West....so incredibly stunning Fishing is a big pastime down there...not sure you'd find ziplining, etc.

Have you looked at the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, or Vieques? Lower costs and direct flights from the States. And you can find some nice small hotels and have a variety of things to do. Vieques is less touristy, but the beaches and sealife (if you like kayaking or snorkeling) are very good.

Belize, particularly southern Belize (e.g. Placencia), might be a good option. There is loads of inexpensive lodging, jungles, ruins, great snorkeling, great food...and you are supporting all local businesses (no AIs). My kinda place :)

If Mexico is a serious option, I might recommend staying close to Tulum. The ruins and cenotes (freshwater caverns) are fabulous, Sa'an Kian biosphere has great wildlife and kayaking/boat tours, and Playa Del Carmen is an easy day trip or night out.

Finally, I love the Cayman Islands. Easy flight to Grand Cayman, but lodging is expensive (though there are a LOT of condos available thru VSBO). But you can eat cheaply and locally there if you know where to go...

April20

Ideal_Rock
TechieTechie|1422930619|3826342 said:
Are you dead set on an AI? I find that they, particularly if you are not drinkers, are very insular and for the most part, have mediocre Americanized food...are not a great value. When I go to a different country, I want to feel like I'm in a different country and experience local culture..but that's me :) If that's your thing, then go for it.

I agree that the Keys are a great 'easy' vacation. My dad was a ranger at Pennekamp for several years and it is beautiful. And that drive from Key Largo to Key West....so incredibly stunning Fishing is a big pastime down there...not sure you'd find ziplining, etc.

Have you looked at the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, or Vieques? Lower costs and direct flights from the States. And you can find some nice small hotels and have a variety of things to do. Vieques is less touristy, but the beaches and sealife (if you like kayaking or snorkeling) are very good.

Belize, particularly southern Belize (e.g. Placencia), might be a good option. There is loads of inexpensive lodging, jungles, ruins, great snorkeling, great food...and you are supporting all local businesses (no AIs). My kinda place :)

If Mexico is a serious option, I might recommend staying close to Tulum. The ruins and cenotes (freshwater caverns) are fabulous, Sa'an Kian biosphere has great wildlife and kayaking/boat tours, and Playa Del Carmen is an easy day trip or night out.

Finally, I love the Cayman Islands. Easy flight to Grand Cayman, but lodging is expensive (though there are a LOT of condos available thru VSBO). But you can eat cheaply and locally there if you know where to go...

I'm going to disagree with you on the bolded. We've taken several AI vacations and they've been an excellent value each time. We carefully time when we go and it's definitely less expensive than doing things separately, at least for us.

As to a resort vs "experiencing the local culture", I think that depends on what type of vacation you want. Personally, doing all the local stuff is not a vacation for me. It's a trip. And we take them and enjoy them. But when we want a vacation- not worrying about anything other than which side of the pool we're going to hang out on- we book an AI.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, we're pretty set on AI. We have no experience setting anything like this up...JD's set up his hunting trips w/his buddies, but w/that b/c it's his hobby, he knows what they're looking for. With this...we are a bit lost. My dad made the arrangements when we went to Vegas, b/c we went w/them and stayed at their time share. All we had to do was write a check to them. Especially for our first couple forays into a real vacation, I think we're better off going AI so we don't mess something up. Depending on finances at some point it would be nice to do a trip to experience different cultures..but right now my main goal is to have my first real day off in over 11 years and not have to *think* about anything other than which pool I want to float around in.

Honestly, I don't even know how I'll handle it. I tried to get a massage once and had a panic attack. When I had my hair done for my 40th, the fancy salon I went to gives head massages when they wash your hair...I was so tense I was clenching the arm rests. I had to focus on releasing myself, like I was back in Lamaze class. Hopefully I've not turned myself into so much of a neurotic mess that I'll be frantic on vacation...JD will wake up from a nap and find me washing dishes at one of the restaurants...or lugging the maid service cart around to clean rooms.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did inspections of the cruise ships in Juneau. I wouldn't take one. That said, all of my elderly relatives liked their Alaskan cruises. We used to look at the tourists getting off the boats in Juneau and remark: The newly wed and the nearly dead.

The best way to experience Alaska is not with Princess, Holland America, etc. The Crystal boats were gorgeous, gotta give it up to them, though.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I think when we're able to hit Alaska it will be like a whale watching tour, and then more interior land excursions. It's so beautiful there, we want to really experience it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1423005928|3826871 said:
TechieTechie|1422930619|3826342 said:

I'm going to disagree with you on the bolded. We've taken several AI vacations and they've been an excellent value each time. We carefully time when we go and it's definitely less expensive than doing things separately, at least for us.

As to a resort vs "experiencing the local culture", I think that depends on what type of vacation you want. Personally, doing all the local stuff is not a vacation for me. It's a trip. And we take them and enjoy them. But when we want a vacation- not worrying about anything other than which side of the pool we're going to hang out on- we book an AI.

This is a really good point. I'm totally confused whether I want a "trip" to experience another country, culture, something never did before, or a "vacation." I guess I want both. AND I want a romantic vacation with my husband AND an awesome vacation for my kids, which is unrealistic. I think what I may do, is break down things into multiple smaller trips (a weekend away with husband, a trip to beach for kids, and later rent a house on the coast for family retreat for extended family?). I don't know, confused! Sounds like you are making more headway with your trip Packrat!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey packrat! Just sent you some more pics of SMB!! (can you tell I want this to happen??!!) ;)) :bigsmile:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, I'm sorry for the threadjack. I just have to tell MSOP how beautiful her wedding pictures are.

MSOP, Your wedding pictures are gorgeous. You were such a beautiful bride!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results