shape
carat
color
clarity

My collection (SSP, GSSP, Tahitian, Akoyas, Ripples, SoC)

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
Over the last year, I became seriously addicted to pearls. I spent a lot, wasted a fair share, and got myself an intense education in pearl collecting. After salivating over so many of your pearls, I thought it was time to share some of mine.

By no means is it one of the best collections in this forum, but it does represent my taste and what can be had in Southeast Asia. Many of these, I bought by the strand and designed myself. I hope you like them.

Let's start with the classic SSPs and akoya pearls.

white_large_akoya.jpg

img_6792.jpg

img_6793.jpg

img_6795.jpg

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
Re: My collection (SSP, GSSP, Tahitian, Akoyas, Ripples, SoC

One of the best things about living in the Philippines is that golden SSPs are more accessible. Yes, Jewelmer costs a fortune, but if you can shop for pearls in person, you can find some good buys in Greenhills or Palawan. Be sure to ask if the color was induced or dyed.

_20605.jpg
This bee was made by IndoSea Pearl, one of the last pieces she made before closing shop and moving to France

dsc_3693.jpg

img_6796.jpg

img_6797.jpg

dsc_3996.jpg

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

I'm partial to green, so that explains my penchant for Tahitian pearls.

dsc_3759.jpg
My bargain Tahitians, from Ross+Simon.

img_6799.jpg

img_6803.jpg

img_6805.jpg

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

I love freshwater pearls. Partly because they're cheap (in SE Asia) and come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. I play with them a lot.

photo_on_9-16-14_at_3.jpg
A two-fer: golden baby ripples and a baroque pendant from PoJ

img_6808.jpg

dsc_3829.jpg

dsc_3828.jpg

img_6813.jpg

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

Finally, a few noteworthy pieces (at least, in my mind):

dsc_4098.jpg
My SoC mabe drop pendant

Thanks for patiently waiting for the photos to load!

Cynthia

face_hand_gssp.jpg

img_6814.jpg

img_6818.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

cyndayco|1422710275|3824919 said:
I love freshwater pearls. Partly because they're cheap (in SE Asia) and come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. I play with them a lot.

Thank you for sharing your lovely collection! So much eye candy! :love:

Can you tell us more about these? They are lovely!

Edit: oops the pics didn't load. It's your fwp harvest strand and the blue fireballs and soufflé.

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

icy_jade|1422711727|3824928 said:
Thank you for sharing your lovely collection! So much eye candy! :love:

Can you tell us more about these? They are lovely!

Edit: oops the pics didn't load. It's your fwp harvest strand and the blue fireballs and soufflé.

Thanks, icy_jade!

dsc_3829.jpg

These started out as a 18in metallic FWP necklace from PP. At 8-9mm, I thought they were too dainty for my thick neck, but by the time I decided to lengthen them, they had all sold out in PP and PoJ. By luck, my local pearl market had a relatively inexpensive strand in similar body colors, although not the same length or width.

At that time, harvest strands of Tahitian pearls were all the rage, so I thought, why not harvest FWP strands? I threw my pearls in a mixing bowl, added 6.5mm baroque akoyas and 4mm golden (dyed) FWPs for contrast, et voila!

When I posted them in that other forum, Jeremy complimented me and hinted that our minds were on the same wavelength. Sure enough, PP had its own version on sale a few days later.

dsc_3828.jpg

As for these, I bought the fireballs first at the local pearl market, followed by the souffle pearl a few months later. I had spare silver spacer beads and an old wire-wrapped aquamarine necklace that I cannibalized for the clasp and the pendant post.

To accentuate the blue and pink overtones of the fireballs, I inserted a few more aquamarine and opal rondelles as the necklace graduated to the center.

I could not have designed these pieces without basic jewelers' tools, wire, glue, and a beading board. They come in really handy for playing with and assembling pearl jewelry. Now, it has given me the confidence to customize gold chains and findings, too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

cyndayco|1422705954|3824904 said:
Over the last year, I became seriously addicted to pearls. I spent a lot, wasted a fair share, and got myself an intense education in pearl collecting. After salivating over so many of your pearls, I thought it was time to share some of mine.

By no means is it one of the best collections in this forum, but it does represent my taste and what can be had in Southeast Asia. Many of these, I bought by the strand and designed myself. I hope you like them.

Let's start with the classic SSPs and akoya pearls.
Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pearly collection with us, cyndayco. I'm still drinking my morning coffee, and thinking what a lovely way to start the day. So many wonderful designs. I love your taste.

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

Oh, I forgot to post this. The pearls are faux, albeit good ones.

Truth to tell, it doesn't get much wear. But it has a permanent spot on my dressing table, because it inspires me.

Someday, I hope to find right sized undrilled or half-drilled FWPs to replace the faux.

dsc_4054.jpg

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Love especially the GSS earring and ring with the wiggly claws. That's the metalsmith part of me coming through as well as the lush pearls.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those are all really pretty Cyndaco! I'd love to see neck shots of your strands - especially the mixed SSP and Tahitian one and the harvest strand. I love the toggle clasp on your mixed SSP strand.

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

cmd2014|1422717479|3824960 said:
Those are all really pretty Cyndaco! I'd love to see neck shots of your strands - especially the mixed SSP and Tahitian one and the harvest strand. I love the toggle clasp on your mixed SSP strand.

Thanks, cmd2014, for your kind words.

Here is the opera-length Tahitian on me.

The mixed SSP on loan to my sister-in-law...

and I don't have shot of the harvest strand on a real neck, because when I wear it as a rope, it doesn't register well on camera. But I do have this.

dsc_3655.jpg

dsc_3845.jpg

photo_on_8-15-14_at_1.jpg

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

So many beautiful pearls, I don't know where to start!

On the first Akoyas, is that a tanzanite in the clasp?

I remember that you posted about your 'bargain' Tahitians from Ross-Simons a few months ago, because I ran to R-S and got one of the last strands. I never would have thought to check R-S.

The fireballs with aquamarines made me drool. I would love to own something like that.

Honestly, I don't know how you decide what to wear. :angel:

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

ennui|1422719087|3824972 said:
So many beautiful pearls, I don't know where to start!

On the first Akoyas, is that a tanzanite in the clasp?

It's Swarovski crystal. Sacrilege, I know. But since it only costs me $2 to have my necklaces re-strung (so cheap, I've stopped doing it myself), I figure I can always have it replaced once it wears out or bores me. That said, I'm always buying clasps, new or vintage pieces.

I remember that you posted about your 'bargain' Tahitians from Ross-Simons a few months ago, because I ran to R-S and got one of the last strands. I never would have thought to check R-S.

I know, right? Glad to be of help.

The fireballs with aquamarines made me drool. I would love to own something like that.

Honestly, I don't know how you decide what to wear. :angel:

Neither do I. Sometimes, my officemates tease me: They know I'm having a tough week when I wear the same pearls for days.

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

Pearlescence|1422716440|3824954 said:
Love especially the GSS earring and ring with the wiggly claws. That's the metalsmith part of me coming through as well as the lush pearls.

Thanks, they're my favorite, too.

I was just thinking of taking up a course on metal-smithing. Is that hard to learn?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nice collection, thanks for sharing.

DK :))

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

cyndayco|1422720875|3824986 said:
Pearlescence|1422716440|3824954 said:

Thanks, they're my favorite, too.

I was just thinking of taking up a course on metal-smithing. Is that hard to learn?

Yes and no, like most skills and crafts. You can get a bit okay fairly quickly but to be good...probably a lifetime. I can slap metal around a bit but I wouldn't call myself hugely skilled. But I enjoy working on designs and seeing what happens. But it is certainly a whole new game from wire wrapping etc when you can solder metals
You should be able to make a plain silver soldered ring in your first class and probably nothing will ever match the satisfaction that brings (and adding a cup and spike to set a pearl would be class two!)

I've certainly got more patient and painstaking as I've got older and that has helped.

_26517.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

You have great taste cyndayco! I love everything on you but my favourites from the top of my head is your Tahitian pearl rope with the black jumper, the POJ gold ripples and the GSS pieces.

Thank you very much for sharing your pearls with us! :appl:

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock

Great collection! And that ripple w/aqua strand is wonderful. Wear them all in good health.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for sharing your collection with us. It is really terrific and looks like you have some very nice ones too. Enjoy your beauties.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock

Cyndayco, thanks so much for sharing ... you have a lovely collection with a very personal and unique perspective :) My favorites are that new large size akoya necklace ... the glow on those pearls is luscious! ... and your long freshwater based harvest strand ... I really want to try making one of those. Very nice, and thanks : :appl:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Thanks for posting all of your lovely photos ! So many I don't know which ones I like the most !! They are all great!

The metalsmithing is good fun ...like Wendy says..you can learn the basics pretty quickly ... but it didn't take me long to figure out that the cost of all the materials is ridiculous. Seriously ridiculous ! lol But it's fun. God knows how many thousands of dollars I've spent in the past year on lessons and basic equipment ... my husband says I have the worlds most expensive silver bangles. It is interesting and I greatly enjoy it but it all depends on what you want out of it. ( I don't seem to be able to talk John into the used $12,000 laser welder that would make everything so much faster and easier...go figure..)

If you have a sculpting talent (which I don't have) then there is another way to go...you can take a class and learn to make a wax carving of what you want . That carving is sent to a company and for a fee + material costs they produce a rubber mould and using that they make the rough silver/gold/whatever piece which can be then duplicated.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

This discussion of metal working has me thinking, and I have a question for the artists ...

I have a fireball pendant that is really heavy. It's on a fine chain, and the weight of the pearl makes it uncomfortable to wear. I cannot remove the whole pendant from the chain without breaking the chain. I'd like to remove the bottom drop and put it on an omega or something, and keep the double Akoya drop as is, as a necklace. I might add a third Akoya to make it look finished.

Before I break something, it is easy to untwist the wire below the middle Akoya and remove the fireball?

Photo:

08-12-13b__1_.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

lovely collection and lovely on you, too!

re "A one of a kind wire-wrapped showstopper, designed and made by my best friend": oh, that is so my style! please tell your friend I love Love LOVE it!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Without seeing it closely, I would think so - just a matter of snip with some wire cutters (any electrician will have some which will do the job) But that will leave you with one fireball with no loop for a chain (yes?) and a two pearl pendant with a mangled bit of wire at the bottom/the middle pearl falls off
Untwisting the wire might be possible but tricky - a) because if it is done neatly then the end will be hard to pick out to manipulate and b) because the wire might break anyway due to metal fatigue.
You say you cannot take the whole off the chain - is it because the loop on the pendant won't pass through the ring at the end. If the ring is a circle the pendant loop might pass over it if you gently squeeze it into an oval ..?
If the metal is silver then I'd b e tempted to say scrap the metal and start again because it won't go back right but not so easy to say if it is gold
All the answers are might might might..hard to tell properly without seeing.

cyndayco

Rough_Rock

Ennui, is the wire looped from the top pearl and through the center link in the chain? Or simply too small to slide over the chain's findings?

Either way, because you want to remove the fireball, and attach a smaller pearl in its place, it may be hard to match new wire to the patina of the original. You're probably better off cutting the entire pendant from the wires and starting over.

I'm sorry that the fireball is too heavy for you. That pendant is gorgeous!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Ennui As Wendy says it's hard to say without a closer look at the connection. A good jeweller with a proper laser welder can snip it and remove the pendant and one little zap will close the ring up again. You'll have a loop on the bottom but as you mentioned you could add on another pearl and have three hanging down. It's certainly worth taking it into someone and getting a quote .. I wouldn't think they would charge much. If it came from PP you could ask them what they would charge and mail it back..that way they could match the pearl as well and add it on.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

if you do get that laser welder can I fly over once a month to do my welding/soldering, Katbran?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

Katbran, my local goldsmith doesn't have a laser welder. They are old-school bench jewelers.

Thank you all for the input on my fireball-that-weighs-a-ton. The chain has a bar with the hallmark, so squeezing a loop isn't an option. The top Akoya has a twisted loop top and bottom ... the middle Akoya has a twisted loop top and bottom ... the fireball has a small eye pin.

Maybe I will send it to PP to be reworked. I just know that it is so heavy, that fine chain starts to cut into my neck within an hour. Just for reference, that bottom fireball weighs 17 grams. It would be OK on a different chain or cord. I do love that pearl. I call it the Rorschach pearl, because everyone sees something different.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

ennui|1422936782|3826392 said:
I just know that it is so heavy, that fine chain starts to cut into my neck within an hour. Just for reference, that bottom fireball weighs 17 grams. It would be OK on a different chain or cord. I do love that pearl. I call it the Rorschach pearl, because everyone sees something different.

That pendant is lovely. If the fine chain is the problem, I would remove the chain (remove the bar at the end, and have it repaired later), and add a larger bale (a simple ring through the top twist on the akoya would work) to the top. Then you can wear it with a larger and more comfortable chain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results