shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling cushion and halo experts! Help upgrading an ering

OECtime

Rough_Rock
Hi there, good people of Pricescope.

I'm actually here to help a friend who's having a dilemma about her engagement ring.

I'll start by saying: it's gorgeous. And it's objectively very big (2.34 carat antique cushion; almost 1 carat of graduated baguette sides and cognac colored pave) BUT it just doesn't feel right to her. The cushion doesn't face up as big as a RB and doesn't throw off the same kind of fire -- she knew that going in, but wearing the ring in reality is bringing it home.

SO. What to do?

My thoughts:

1) halo the current diamond -- but would her current setting work with a halo? probably not.

2) trade in for a MRB that's bigger.

3) trade in for a MRB that's bigger AND halo.

Thoughts? Setting ideas?

As I mentioned the current stone is a 2.34 GIA H antique cushion, 8.08x7.33x5.02. Going to a cushion that's big enough to make a noticeable size difference isn't in the budget, so I'm trying to help my friend think creatively and suggested we turn to the experts here for help!

Thank you thank you.

ring_from_top.jpg

ring_from_1.jpg

_26450.jpg

_26451.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Calling cushion and halo experts! Help upgrading an eri

I'm unable to offer any suggestions, I think it's gorgeous as is! :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

OMG. That is so gorgeous I'm about to ask you for better pictures from her so I can Pin It. That's how much I love and adore it.

Does she love the shape/faceting as is?
What's her budget for a change?

From there we can advise.

Personally, I'd leave it be. But it has to be right for her. Not for me. :wink2:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Who made her setting/where did she get it, if you don't mind my asking? I really can't express how much I love and adore it.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1422579616|3824149 said:
Who made her setting/where did she get it, if you don't mind my asking? I really can't express how much I love and adore it.

Ditto. Gorgeous ring. More pics please.

OECtime

Rough_Rock

Hi and thanks for the replies thus far!

I love it, too! But, Gypsy, as you say: she's gotta love it.

The jeweler's name is David Alan: http://www.davidalanjewelry.com.. He's in NYC and my friend has been delighted with every single thing about him. I've seen the ring in person; the craftsmanship is impeccable.

The upgrade budget is really only around $5k, but the idea is that my friend can use the ring (made only in September) toward the new ring (or halo the existing stone; or add side stones, etc.)

As I understand it, DSS has maybe settled in a bit, but really she's also just taken with sparkle and fire and her cushion maybe doesn't give that to her. I can ask more questions, of course, and get exact specs if that would be helpful, but I know she doesn't have ASET images or anything for the stone. Let me know if there are specific questions I should ask that will help people advise.

I'll also ask for better pics :love:

OECtime

Rough_Rock

OK, update. My friend says (granted, by text):

Here are my main three gripes: 1) I'm not a huge fan of channel setting 2) I thought the side stones would be bigger and/or flush with the center stone, not just part of the band 3) the surface area just isn't as big as I'd like

She then said she generally didn't tbink she wanted a halo, but likes three-stone rings with an outline halo, sort of like this example (shown with MRB) from James Allen, but she isn't sure what shape of side stone would look best with her cushion:

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/engagement-rings/halo/platinum-framed-three-stone-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49977

Finally, she wondered about going from her H VS2 to maybe an I or J eye-clean SI1 to get a bit more stone.

Hopefully this provides helpful guidelines if anyone has some thoughts!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous ring but if she was after full finger coverage at the top then around 8mms isn't going to give it. O.K so we know the main issue is the lack of finger coverage. Ask her does she like the fire and the sparkle of the Antique cushion, does she love this stone? Or did she really want an RB? An Antique Cushion has a very different scintillation pattern to a modern round brilliant....

If it was me, I'd keep the setting and put a coloured stone into it eventually and either put the cushion into a halo, or a three stone or she might be better off saving up some more purchasing a RB and putting that into a halo or a three stone if the actual stone is the issue and still keeping the setting for a coloured stone. She is going to get a fraction of the setting cost back if she sells it or trades it, I'm not sure about the main stone, hopefully it might still have some sort of warranty or she bought it from somewhere with a decent buy back/upgrade program.

Show her this link and see if she likes it;

https://leonmege.com/index.php/portfolio/rings/three-stone/three-stone-true-antique-cushion-ring-detail

OECtime

Rough_Rock

I wonder what side stones (I assume two .5 carat cushions?) would cost for a stone of her size - any ideas?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not cheap. And matching them up with her center is going to take funds.

She may need to do this to two steps. Get the sidestones first. And if her stone is antique cut, it may be worthwhile for her to go see some great modern cuts.

Does she want to sell the WHOLE ring, or just the setting?

I think that if she listed the setting on here the colored stone people would kill themselves to buy it. I know I would be first in line if I had funds, which I don't.

Here's my idea/suggestion. Is she in NY? Can she go see Brilliantly Engaged? They will have both the customer service, and the custom setting expertise to help her narrow down what she wants, and also have modern cushions and antique ones in various sizes plus sidestones for her to play with.

She should make an appointment. Mention to them it will be a long one and that she will need to see a variety of cushions and setting and sidestone options.

OECtime

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy.

I think she's pretty set on sticking with her jeweler, as they have a great relationship, and he is willing to work with her to get the ring to a place where she's happy.

I think she's leaning most heavily now toward an outline halo three-stone ring.

Then, I think she'd have to get rid of the baguettes on the side, but keep the pave (otherwise, there's just too much there!)

So the question is really, what shape/size sidestones are best with the cushion (it's an eight-main that looks antique, but was newly cut) and can the current setting be transformed into a three-stone, or does the jeweler have to start from scratch (even if he uses some of the same pave stones from the current setting).

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did you ask your jeweller if he can make that setting for her budget? Is he willing to take the original setting back and refund the cost of most of it? If not she will be better off selling the setting privately than getting scrap value for it at the jewellers, or keeping it and putting a coloured stone into it one day.....

Maybe something like this but with smaller Antique cushion side stones and a halo around all 3 stones instead of 5 stones;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/five-stone-acc-with-pink-halo.179924/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/five-stone-acc-with-pink-halo.179924/[/URL]

Or this;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-3-stone-cushion-halo-for-a-rb.157242/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-3-stone-cushion-halo-for-a-rb.157242/[/URL]

Or this where the cushion is in the halo and there are side stones that are not in the halo;

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gabriel-co-3-stone-cushion-halo-from-idj.201482/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gabriel-co-3-stone-cushion-halo-from-idj.201482/[/URL]

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1422579616|3824149 said:

I also agree. What an amazing, beautiful and unique setting. The whole ring, stone, setting is perfect. Thanks for letting us know the jeweler who did the setting. :)

I suggest if your friend wants a bigger stone to start again and consider an OEC or MRB. Antique cushions are inherently smaller because they are deeper. If DSS has set in, perhaps she can start with a bigger diameter stone without touching this amazing ring. I like the triple stone halo idea for more coverage, but think that style looks better with an MRB.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock

Whichever way she decides to proceed, this is a glorious diamond! And from what I gather, antique cushions are getting harder and harder to find especially in this colour range.

OECtime

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone!

My friend went ahead and upgraded her ring -- she added a trapezoid on each side of the antique cushion center, and had the whole thing halo'ed. The shank has champagne diamond pave getting increasingly deep in color, and the jeweler added a bit of patina to give the whole thing a slightly blackened/antique look.

I think this definitely gets at the goal of more finger coverage and a bigger look!

ring_181.jpg

ring_189.jpg

ring_190.jpg

ring_191.jpg

OECtime

Rough_Rock

One more picture:

ring_192.jpg

OECtime

Rough_Rock