shape
carat
color
clarity

Price for round brilliant

auburnmom

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm wanting to upgrade my diamond and was offered $3000 by a local gold/diamond purchaser for this diamond. What do you think? Is this a fair price? TIA!

img_6775.jpg

auburnmom

Rough_Rock
I posted on craigslist but haven't had any luck, so far.

I'm not positive but I'm thinking it's because of the strong blue fluorescence?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
While I have no problem with the physical aspects of fluorescence, I have to confirm that you are now experiencing the other side of the coin, when going for a fluorescent stone.

In overall terms, worldwide and on a wholesale level, the mere grade of fluorescence is today even less liked than a few years ago, and such stone truly is a pain to sell wholesale. This leads to serious discounts on the wholesale-level.

For a manufacturer, having such fluo stones in a parcel of rough, they cannot avoid buying them and producing them, as they need to obtain the rest of the parcel of rough too.

Faced with a single diamond with fluorescence, there is absolutely no impetus to purchase that stone. There is not even the potential promise of repeat-business with an attractive source. This eventually leads to extremely low offerings on the 'second-hand-market'.

That in combination with an old-type GIA-cert, with unknown cut-quality and not the currently 'needed' EX-EX in polish and symmetry are the problems you are facing right now.

Live long,

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
He is offering you 32% of rappaport. You need to know the cut grade to really have a better idea what the diamond is worth. I would resend it to gia to get a new report. Otherwise, if you know a local appraiser that you trust you can have them look at it, or maybe pay someone to get a sarin report on it for you. You need the cut grade and angles, and just having an appraiser looking at it wouldn't hold up very strongly to a buyer.

I still think you are getting ripped off majorly at 3,000$.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dear n64bomb,

I take issue with you calling this offer out as a rip-off. True, it seems low, but there are clear reasons for the low offer.

If you think a lot of money can be made by offering the OP a bit more, I would suggest you do. Until then, I take issue with you calling the offer of an unknown, probably a professional, a rip-off.

I, for one, am in the business and would be capable to re-sell this diamond rather quickly. Still, on the available info, I am not at all inclined to give the OP a better offer.

The issue at hand is that the preferences of the world-market have evolved in the past 10 years, and that this diamond was sold without keeping future-value in mind.

1. At the time, GIA did not have a cut-grade, and we have no idea if this diamond will still qualify for the currently most popular GIA-EX. For sure, it does not have 3EX. If it would have been purchased from a top-PS-vendor at the time, the likelihood of it being at least GIA-3EX would have been higher. At the time, such diamonds seemed to carry a premium. Now, in re-selling, one can probably understand that premium.

2. In the last years, Strong fluorescence has even become less popular on a global scale than before. It has become a very tough sell, and wholesalers have to discount it heavily in order to move it. This is also reflected in the current offer.

Live long,

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try selling on louptroop or Diamond Bistro. Can't hurt.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
auburnmom|1422539853|3823787 said:
I posted on craigslist but haven't had any luck, so far.

I'm not positive but I'm thinking it's because of the strong blue fluorescence?
No doubt the main problem is the strong blue. Like Paul says there is a strong bias against this characteristic upstream in the diamond market. Some retailers are successful in finding customers who appreciate this effect as an added value, but that is an aberration in the overall chain. The secondary market is quite punishing for this trait. This is important for consumers to understand on the front end in order not to be disappointed down the line.

Having said that, I think you should get multiple bids from jewelers. You may find one who will pay more. Be careful with public listings such as craigs list. You may attract the wrong sort of person.

Possibly the best way to go is to post it for sale on pricescope in the pre-loved forum. Someone here can tell you how that works. There are many forum members who do like fluorescence and are willing to pay a fair price for it.

I should add that I would not recommend getting further invested in the stone by purchasing a new cert.

Good luck!

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
Usually stones like that get sold from dealer to dealer at -55% off rapport list which is $4000 total(NYC). i would pay $3600(-60%) and flip it.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AlexPark|1422643046|3824522 said:
Usually stones like that get sold from dealer to dealer at -55% off rapport list which is $4000 total(NYC). i would pay $3600(-60%) and flip it.
Auburnmom,
Looks like you just improved your current position by 20% by posting here! (Assuming that is a sincere offer).

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1422643331|3824525 said:
Auburnmom,
Looks like you just improved your current position by 20% by posting here! (Assuming that is a sincere offer).
It is a sincere offer as long as its not milky, brown or green.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll pay $3k and then send it to Paul for a recut into ideal proportions. I'm guessing it'll end up about .90ct - .92ct.. :bigsmile:

3000 + 350 recut + 200 for AGS + 100 shipping = $3650 - $3700 total

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
auburnmom|1422534659|3823727 said:
Hi, I'm wanting to upgrade my diamond and was offered $3000 by a local gold/diamond purchaser for this diamond. What do you think? Is this a fair price? TIA!

Hi auburnmom :wavey:
If you live within driving distance of Diamonds Direct in Mountain Brook (B'ham), AL... it may be worth a trip to have them make you an offer. (I'm merely speculating due to your screen name -- I'm an AU fan -- "WAR EAGLE!") If I'm way off, please disregard my suggestion of DD. :bigsmile:

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AlexPark|1422643798|3824530 said:
Auburnmom,

Pretty 'conditional' offer, Alex.

Remember, you are talking to a consumer, who probably cannot give you this guarantee.

Thus, on the basis of info available, are you paying $3,600.- or not?

Second question: if you are in the trade, are you aware of forum-rules about disclosing this?

Live long,

auburnmom

Rough_Rock
msop04|1422649323|3824572 said:
auburnmom|1422534659|3823727 said:

Hi auburnmom :wavey:
If you live within driving distance of Diamonds Direct in Mountain Brook (B'ham), AL... it may be worth a trip to have them make you an offer. (I'm merely speculating due to your screen name -- I'm an AU fan -- "WAR EAGLE!") If I'm way off, please disregard my suggestion of DD. :bigsmile:

Hi msop04!

I'm about two hours away from Diamonds Direct, so I'll have to check it out next time I'm there if I haven't sold it by then. And yeah, my daughter's at Auburn. Neat!

I LOVE your rings. They're gorgeous.

auburnmom

Rough_Rock
Auburnmom,

It's not milky, brown or green, so now what should I do? I do feel like the $3000 was too low, hence the reason I asked you pros. (This site is pretty great.)

So is it pricescope preloved? loupe troop? Ect.?

I've only sold a treadmill online, so I'm a little overwhelmed. Consignment would be my favorite way to go, but I'd like it sold as soon as possible.

Any advice from you pricescopers would be great!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
AlexPark|1422643798|3824530 said:
Auburnmom,

We don't allow trade members to offer to buy items on PS. If this is not in jest, please remember that in the future.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results