shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this a good diamond?

SpoonieLuv

Rough_Rock
Hi all-

I've been on pricescope for a few months and you all have helped me out with my quest for an engagement ring more than you know. I started out clueless but now I know what to look for during my searches. I definitely would like some help with something though. I found this diamond on James Allen's website and it's right on the cusp of my budget ($3500). The budget was higher but things came up so it had to be lowered. What are your thoughts with this one. I know that she wants a princess cut so I'm trying to get as close to a carot as possible without skimping on any of the 4 c's.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/0.90-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-384806

Thoughts?

SpoonieLuv

Rough_Rock
RockyRacoon|1422037586|3820937 said:
Check out this option -

Same size as the stone you had mentioned (look at dimensions), same color, equally eye-clean, but over $500 less expensive and this stone is certed AGS000 - Ideal optics:

.817ct, I, VS2
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3189826.htm

RockyRacoon-

Thanks for the alternative, but my only gripe is that this one is a .817 stone and the one that I was looking at is a .9. Are you saying that the size difference isn't that much between the two? I wanted to try to get it as close to 1 ct as possible...

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
SpoonieLuv|1422039673|3820958 said:
RockyRacoon|1422037586|3820937 said:
Check out this option -

Same size as the stone you had mentioned (look at dimensions), same color, equally eye-clean, but over $500 less expensive and this stone is certed AGS000 - Ideal optics:

.817ct, I, VS2
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-3189826.htm

RockyRacoon-

Thanks for the alternative, but my only gripe is that this one is a .817 stone and the one that I was looking at is a .9. Are you saying that the size difference isn't that much between the two? I wanted to try to get it as close to 1 ct as possible...

Carat is a measure of weight.

What you need to look at are the dimensions of the stone, since that is what you will actually see.

The Whiteflash stone has dimensions of 5.12mm x 5.03mm
The JamesAllen stone has dimensions of 5.11mm x 5.07mm

Essentially, the size difference will be negligible.

That's why this decision would be easy for me - I would save the $500 and go for the option that has confirmed AGS Ideal optics (Whiteflash).

SpoonieLuv

Rough_Rock
RockyRaccoon-

I see what you're saying now. NOW it makes sense! Since the weight difference isn't a jump of a 1/2 ct or more, the weight of the JA vs the WF is very minute once you see that the dimensions are the similar. I think that I was caught up on the weight vs dimensions. Gives me a whole new outlook on diamonds now...lol! I thought that I was getting better at this....seems that I still have a whole lot to learn.

Thanks

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2nd JA stone looks good.

SpoonieLuv

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1422043410|3820993 said:
2nd JA stone looks good.

Does the True Hearts selection really mean anything?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

SpoonieLuv

Rough_Rock
That's where my dilemma comes in....JA has better yellow gold settings but WF has a waaaaaaay better diamond upgrading policy. I could buy the diamond from WF and send to JA for the setting but then I'm paying a setting fee, shipping fee, shippers insurance, etc....sounds like too much. Do you think that it's worth it?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
SpoonieLuv|1422045130|3821012 said:
That's where my dilemma comes in....JA has better yellow gold settings but WF has a waaaaaaay better diamond upgrading policy. I could buy the diamond from WF and send to JA for the setting but then I'm paying a setting fee, shipping fee, shippers insurance, etc....sounds like too much. Do you think that it's worth it?

I would give Whiteflash a call and see what they can do for you. They may be able to put something together with the stone + setting, since you're buying both from them, at a price point that would make it worthwhile.

I agree that the shipping / setting / insurance does make it impractical to order from one vendor and send to another to-be-set, in your situation.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
SpoonieLuv|1422544968|3823835 said:

Have you seen a K-colored Princess stone in person?

If not, you should definitely do so before considering this option. K-colored princess stones show a pretty good amount of color, even face-up.

I would advise staying at I-color and up, unless you know the wearer of the ring will be okay with K-color (especially in princess cut, where color is more pronounced).

SpoonieLuv

Rough_Rock
Thanks

well she doesn't really know too much about diamonds besides the fact that i know that she would like it to sparkle and not look dull. I just didnt want the yellowish tint to come out in the light when shown against other rings. The JA rep said that if i wanted it to look white/bright then to get it placed in 18YG ring instead of a WG one. I was a little skeptical so I figured I'd see what you guys had to say.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
SpoonieLuv|1422552517|3823921 said:
Thanks

well she doesn't really know too much about diamonds besides the fact that i know that she would like it to sparkle and not look dull. I just didnt want the yellowish tint to come out in the light when shown against other rings. The JA rep said that if i wanted it to look white/bright then to get it placed in 18YG ring instead of a WG one. I was a little skeptical so I figured I'd see what you guys had to say.

If you don't know that she is comfortable with a K-colored princess, I wouldn't suggest getting one.

If you stick to I-color and above, you should be safe, and still be able to get a sizable stone.

You don't want her to receive the ring and be anything less than overjoyed.

If you don't like the Whiteflash stone I had suggested (still a great pick), consider this one from Brian Gavin (they are currently offering up to an 8% discount on stones and 10% discount on settings):

.888ct, I, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.888-i-vs2-princess-diamond-ags-104076314017

SpoonieLuv

Rough_Rock
I did see this one, but the aset looked like it had leakage right in the center of the diamond. Is that the case?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
SpoonieLuv|1422554793|3823947 said:
I did see this one, but the aset looked like it had leakage right in the center of the diamond. Is that the case?

The ASET is computer generated, so you may just want to give a call to BG and ask about the stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results