shape
carat
color
clarity

What's this diamond worth?

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
The jeweler (a friend) is asking for 3850. Is it worth it? I was told I should go for a better cut.

img-20150128-wa0021.jpg

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
The cut is horrendous. It is not worth it.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
bad cut move on look for 3x excellent cut, polish annnd symmetry

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
Yikes! I already bought, though price is up for negotiation. What should I counter 3850 with?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, you already bought it? Did you agree to that price? A recut may be possible but you could lose half the weight. (A recut may cost around $350 plus postage sending the diamonds somewhere.) I wouldn't pay more than $2000 because after the recut it is going to be much smaller.

I would tell the person you have had a change of heart. If no money has changed hands, you haven't bought it.

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
It's going in the ring so I gotta go with it. What's it worth as is?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nyno2010|1422499768|3823606 said:
Yikes! I already bought, though price is up for negotiation. What should I counter 3850 with?
Can you exchange for another GIA stone?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nyno2010|1422504925|3823644 said:
It's going in the ring so I gotta go with it. What's it worth as is?

Why? Can't you say you have changed your mind? If you committed to a ring, tell them to put a cz in it until you find a good diamond.

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
Stone seems subpar, but what's it worth? I am seriously considering not buying it, but I need to give him a dollar value to make my argument more convincing and logical.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like others have said, no matter what it may be worth it certainly isn't the best diamond you could have got with your budget. But if you like it then that's all that really matters. If you go searching for info now, after the fact, you are going to find out you could have done better and I suspect that may really bother you. If that is the case, and you bought from a friend, try to exchange it for something that is cut better.

As far as what it is "worth", i'm not in expert in that area. But after doing a little searching I am going to guess that $3800 seems to be in the ballpark, maybe a little over priced. Having said that, you certainly could have got a better cut diamond in your budget. Here is one that is cut a lot nicer...

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6498375...m_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

The fluorescence may be an issue driving the price down on that one, but that is the cut you should be looking for.

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
i also want to clarify that the jeweler is doing the whole ring (2 circles of diamonds around this main diamond, and half around band) for around 4500. I think this is important.

I hate to get screwed over, but at the same time, am weary of buying a stone on the inet.

edit:spelling

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nyno2010|1422512266|3823670 said:
i also want to clarify that the jeweler is doing the whole ring (2 circles of diamonds around this main diamond, and half around band) for around 4500. I think this is important.

I hate to get screwed over, but at the same time, am weary of buying a stone on the inet.

No worry, b/c many of the members here have had purchased from PS vendors in the past.

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
pfunk|1422511456|3823667 said:
Like others have said, no matter what it may be worth it certainly isn't the best diamond you could have got with your budget. But if you like it then that's all that really matters. If you go searching for info now, after the fact, you are going to find out you could have done better and I suspect that may really bother you. If that is the case, and you bought from a friend, try to exchange it for something that is cut better.

As far as what it is "worth", i'm not in expert in that area. But after doing a little searching I am going to guess that $3800 seems to be in the ballpark, maybe a little over priced. Having said that, you certainly could have got a better cut diamond in your budget. Here is one that is cut a lot nicer...

The fluorescence may be an issue driving the price down on that one, but that is the cut you should be looking for.

I second this fella! and have bolded what I feel is important.

From what I have experienced, the information you find here pushes you to source diamonds in the top 5% as far as performance (light performance) is concerned.

When you are an enthusiast you seek higher knowledge, gain experience, and as such your expectations also reflect this. Beauty itself is in the eye of the beholder, so while a diamond isn't in the top performance category, that doesn't neccessarily make it any less beautiful. Changing your knowledge and expectations can however impact on how you perceive your stone.

Many people buy sub par performers and live with it happily for years. Many don't clean their rings which can make as much impact as a lesser cut. I see a decline in performance in just days. I have photos showing how quickly things build up and decrease performance.

In the grand scheme of things, its about being comfortable with what you are paying, and what you are receiving for that money.

Personally, I am a quality over quantity in just about everything in life.

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
so he's charging you $650 for the setting?

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
I believe so. He's friends with my Dad but nevertheless, I want to ensure that I'm not getting ripped off.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nyno2010|1422512266|3823670 said:

Don't buy this diamond. If you do you are getting "screwed over" IMO. No price makes this diamond a good deal. It's a poorly cut diamond no matter how "cheap" the price. I mean, you do want a well cut sparkly beautiful diamond right? This isn't it. I'm sorry because I can imagine it will be unpleasant to tell your dad's friend you have changed your mind but if he is really a friend he will understand. Though I don't understand why a friend would sell you this diamond in the first place.

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
Whoa. Thanks for all this help. What diamond do you think should fall in the 3850 range? I mean it pays to repeat that he is doing other work too on the ring itself. Maybe I should ask him for another diamond with a better cut. But which diamond?

UPDATE: just spoke to jeweler and told him whats up. he said he'll look for better stuff. I told him I don't think im being unreasonable since if this stuff is accessible to me, it's definitely accessible to him (hes on 47th street). He thanked me for being explicit and said he's looking. I think, because of the Northeastern snowstorm, certain diamonds that he wanted to show me, did not come in. He showed me what he had, and me, a complete know nothing in diamonds, decided to go with it. What diamond should I be looking for, what parameters?

edited for clarity (pardon the pun)

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Perfect, you got that discussion out of the way. Now, just make sure you are clear on what you want and don't get talked into something that is less than what you are looking for. It's ok to be particular when you are making such a big purchase. A good jeweler will get that and will be happy to help you find the needle in the haystack. In return, be patient with them while they search for you, and be sure to show your appreciation if they help you find what you are looking for.

Be sure to check back here if you are considering any new diamonds. Also, if you can get the GIA report numbers we can help you assess the diamond.

Are you set on any certain size, clarity, or color?

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
looking for g, si1, .90 or better, and obviously very good cut lol. What else should i be looking for?

And yes, I will post the GIA #s as I get them from him.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can use the HCA under tools. Anything that scores under 2 is worth a further look.

Tables should be around 54 to on 58%.
Depth should be 60-62.3 %.

Stick with GIA and AGS reports.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, very good cut is not good enough. Tell him you will only consider GIA Excellent cut. That in itself is a broad category and a lot of those we would reject. But any GIA EX stone is going to be vastly better than the one he was trying to sell you. Honestly, you are far more likely to get ripped off from a "friend" jeweler than an online vendor with guidance on choosing the right cut. But as long as this jeweler will find you a GIA Excellent cut diamond before it is too late, then you will be far better off than you were.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nyno2010|1422542661|3823806 said:
looking for g, si1, .90 or better, and obviously very good cut lol. What else should i be looking for?

And yes, I will post the GIA #s as I get them from him.

Any reason in particular that you want G color? Have you seen a G and H side by side? In that carat weight I think yo'd have a tough time seeing much of a difference. Just an idea because opening it up to H with that budget should allow you to choose from a larger number of excellent cut diamonds.

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
No. How's this: the most I want to spend on diamond is 4k. Recommendations?

nyno2010

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1422543023|3823811 said:
You can use the HCA under tools. Anything that scores under 2 is worth a further look.

Tables should be around 54 to on 58%.
Depth should be 60-62.3 %.

Stick with GIA and AGS reports.

What do you mean HCA?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
nyno2010|1422547197|3823859 said:
GIA #5161722961
Asking $3900. He's looking for excellent cut also.
thats stone is triple" very good". For that money you should buy one with triple "excellent"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results