shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Opinion on Radiant Cut Diamond

jaespera

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for quite some time, getting as much information as I can before I take the plunge and purchase a diamond for my girlfriend. I have my eye on this 1.53 radiant cut diamond with the following specs (GIA Certification):

Cut: Radiant
Carat: 1.53
Measurements: 6.81 x 5.59 x 4.65
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI1
Fluorescence: None
Table: 62%
Depth: 83.2%

Asking price is $7,000. Is this a good deal? My only apprehension is that it has an 83.2% depth. From the pictures sent to me (magnified pics through loupe), it looks brilliant and sparkly, but we really can't tell until we see it in person. What are your guys' opinion?

Thank you in advance! :angel:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems hardly worth it to ask you to post pics at 80+ depth... but post pics, please.

jaespera

Rough_Rock
This is what the jeweler sent me:

img_3458.jpg img_3457_0.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In addition to the concern over the depth, I would be interested in more info on the clarity grade. The photos indicate a possible issue with transparency. But the slight haziness could simply be a result of the lighting. In any case, it would be important to understand that aspect.

RADIANTMAN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's possible for radiants with high depth percentages to be quite lively - it all depends on certain angles and how the depth is distributed in the diamond. I can't tell from the picture if that's the case here.

Diamonds with high depth percentages are usually small for their carat weight meaning you might be paying for carat weight you can't actually see in the ring and which doesn't contribute to the beauty of the diamond. Of course if the price is low enough so you're actually paying for the size diamond it looks like rather than for what it weighs that might not be important to you as long as it's lively.

It would be a good idea to compare the measurements of this diamond to the measurements of other 1.5 carat radiants to see how it's visible size compares. A handy way to do that is to just multiply the length and the width. That will give you a good estimate of how big the diamond looks compared to others.

In this case that would be 6.81 x 5.59 = 38.06. This diamond will be comparable in size to other radiants with a spread of roughly 38 no matter what they weigh.

jaespera

Rough_Rock
Thanks you guys! I really appreciate your all of your insight on this :D I am going to request more pictures and post them here.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with Gypsy, its a pretty looking stone. Lovely faceting. =) But really, pretty deep at 83%. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results