shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed for super reactive and sensitive skin...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys.

ame, that's great that neosporin helped your face and eye. Hope you are totally clear today and your neck too.

I got samples as Neiman Marcus. They gave me a sample of the soft cream and made a sample of the cleansing gel as they didn't have samples of that. Then later on I was shopping at Saks and just went to their La Mer counter because I had a question about one of the samples I got from Neiman Marcus and the woman there was so nice. She insisted on giving me samples of their regular cream and their soothing serum also to try. And she gave me a whole lesson on how to apply which the women at Neiman did not bother to do though I told them I was new to their products. So score one for Saks because that is where I will be returning if I like the products and purchase them.

I am not ready to try them yet because my skin is very reactive today (started yesterday afternoon) and I think it was because I applied (a little only!) makeup before I went shopping yesterday. I just wanted to look presentable because of how irritated my face looks (and feels) but I did myself no favors that is for sure. So I am waiting for it to become less reactive otherwise the La Mer sampling will not go well. Nothing is calming my face at the moment. Hopefully time and gentle minimal care will help.

Hi Pinto, thanks for that suggestion. I don't think we have hard water here in our NY co-op but I am doing my best not to let the water touch my face in the shower anyway and to that end I do my oil cleanse starting before the shower and leaving the oil on throughout the shower to protect my face from any water spray and then after the shower I remove the oil in the final step of the OCM.

At the beach house we have a whole house water filter but my dh is looking into a separate one for the shower head for me because I am always complaining my hair feels very limp at the beach house and that has to do with the water for sure. Even with the whole house water filter still too many minerals there.

I'm glad the shower head water filter helped solve your skin issues and thanks for sharing that with me.

Hi bbziggy, I'm so sorry you are dealing with severe rosacea. That sucks. I also take Oracea and have been on Oracea since 2006 and it had been doing a decent job of controlling my rosacea but had to stop it last February because I developed a severe esophagitis. The doctors thought it *could* be due to the Oracea however unfortunately I had to resume the Oracea a few months ago when my face exploded with these issues.

So you don't apply any moisturizer to your face at all? I have never worn much makeup but when my skin is flaring I feel more confident with some makeup though it seems now it is just an irritant to my POD so not sure what I am going to do as I am returning to work in 2 weeks. Sigh. I really don't want to go back looking like this. When I return it will have been 8 months since I was there and I would like to look "normal" at least.

Thanks for sharing what works for you and I'm sorry you have skin problems too. I know how challenging that is and my heart goes out to you. (((Hugs))) and I hope your rosacea stays in remission!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Missy,
Sorry you had esophageal problems from the Oracea. I make sure I drink it with a huge glass of water and never lay down after. I take it in the morning. I also had esophageal issues when I first started taking it. I used to take it in the PM. Big mistake. I can't wear any moisturizer since everything and I mean everything makes my face burn and itch. The skin is also very thin now. Is yours? I only us cetaphil moisturizing soap to gently wash my face. I have tried every makeup including researched mineral ones from online. No luck. I hope your face settles down soon. Hugs back to you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks bbziggy. I do take Oracea with a full glass of water in the AM and make sure not to recline and am even taking it with a banana now on the recommendation of my dermatologist because we still do not know how I got the esophagitis as I was always very careful. And I am not sure it was the Oracea that caused it but at the time they had no other ideas as to what it might have been. I am just glad that is past me and hope it stays that way. I don't know what I would do if I had to discontinue it again as it is the only option for my rosacea and POD.

Please be careful with the Cetaphil. It has some not great ingredients. I am not sure that is true of their soap however but just an FYI.
http://skinplicityofcary.com/2013/03/03/cetaphil-cerave-eucerin-and-chemicals-also-a-little-info-on-hydrogenatedtrans-fats/

Also want to share a makeup recommendation with you. It's called Lily Lolo and they are based in Canada but have a US presence now. I have not yet used this but it comes highly recommended so in case you wanted to check this out.
http://www.lilylolo.us

Wishing you calm skin days and sending more hugs!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Missy,
I just looked up the ingredients of the cetaphil bar soap that I use. Do you think there are any bad ingredients in the bar? It seem to be the only soap that doesn't dry out or irritate my face at all.
Ingredients of the gentle cleansing bar:

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG 20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

May also contain: Sodium Palm Kernelate.

Thanks!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1422304119|3822320 said:
Hi guys.

ame, that's great that neosporin helped your face and eye. Hope you are totally clear today and your neck too.

I got samples as Neiman Marcus. They gave me a sample of the soft cream and made a sample of the cleansing gel as they didn't have samples of that. Then later on I was shopping at Saks and just went to their La Mer counter because I had a question about one of the samples I got from Neiman Marcus and the woman there was so nice. She insisted on giving me samples of their regular cream and their soothing serum also to try. And she gave me a whole lesson on how to apply which the women at Neiman did not bother to do though I told them I was new to their products. So score one for Saks because that is where I will be returning if I like the products and purchase them.

I am not ready to try them yet because my skin is very reactive today (started yesterday afternoon) and I think it was because I applied (a little only!) makeup before I went shopping yesterday. I just wanted to look presentable because of how irritated my face looks (and feels) but I did myself no favors that is for sure. So I am waiting for it to become less reactive otherwise the La Mer sampling will not go well. Nothing is calming my face at the moment. Hopefully time and gentle minimal care will help.
Oh good! There is a method to the madness. Regular La Mer cream is too much for my face, but the Soft Cream I can definitely handle. A little of either (VERY LITTLE) goes a long way.

Which serum did they give you? I use Regenerating. That's the one my face handles the best.

My neck is still absolutely maniacal. My husband said i look strangled, it's actually worse. He always hates the looks we get in public, people seriously think he abuses me. No, people, I just look like crap naturally. lol Even my 5 year old niece has told us she doesn't prefer my au natural look, it concerns her to see me without makeup. My face looks much better today though. I am going to make an appointment and see what I can do about getting it checked out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning everyone. Hope you are all safe from the storm where you are and warm and dry with power!

bbziggy, I looked at your list of ingredients and keeping in mind that I am certainly no chemist and just learning as I go due to necessity these are my thoughts.

1. If it is working well for your sensitive skin that's the biggest factor in your favor to continue using it IMO since you cannot easily find things that don't irritate you. Since I have similar issues I feel for you and since you have something that works for you stick with it IMO.

2. The only aggravating ingredients in that list as far as I can tell is the added masking fragrance (I hate when they do that especially if their products are geared towards people with sensitive skin) and the possible added Sodium Palm Kernelate. That ingredient may clog pores and exacerbate breakouts.

3. From what I can tell they test their products on animals so that would be a deterrent for me to use their products if this is true but I totally understand if that is not an issue for you especially given the dearth of products available to you.

ame,ugh I cannot believe the hives are hanging around so long on your neck. Hope it is better today and if not that you can get an appointment and get relief. And LOL about your niece... out of the mouths of babes...those young 'uns really do notice everything don't they lol.

I just looked on the mini tub the sales associate gave me as she had to make that sample up for me because they didn't have it...she wrote it concentrate on it...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow. I have that stuff too, it's the highest concentration of the "broth" available in their products. I mix it in to my serum sometimes and sometimes use it alone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1422366826|3822634 said:
Oh wow. I have that stuff too, it's the highest concentration of the "broth" available in their products. I mix it in to my serum sometimes and sometimes use it alone.

The sales associate told me that it has nothing in it that could cause any reaction in anyone LOLOL. How confident am I in her assessment haha. So it sounds pretty strong based on your experience. What do you think? Is it really soothing and healing?

How is your neck this morning? Any better (I hope!)?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously, consider contacting skinactives. They sell active ingredients without the binders, fragrances, colorings, etc. I suspect they'd be able to help you put together a formulation that works for you rather than against you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty said:
Seriously, consider contacting skinactives. They sell active ingredients without the binders, fragrances, colorings, etc. I suspect they'd be able to help you put together a formulation that works for you rather than against you.

Hi VRBeauty, thanks for that recommendation! I just emailed them and will see what advice and products they might have to help me find relief.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy said:
ame|1422366826|3822634 said:

The sales associate told me that it has nothing in it that could cause any reaction in anyone LOLOL. How confident am I in her assessment haha. So it sounds pretty strong based on your experience. What do you think? Is it really soothing and healing?

How is your neck this morning? Any better (I hope!)?
hah! Well I can react to being alive so we shall see.

I'm calling for an appointment.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1422371744.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your appointment ame. I hear you about reacting to being alive. As I wrote before we are skin sisters...wish we were only bling sisters lol.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1422370197|3822655 said:

unfortunately, products only have to list "active" ingredients.
I ran into a problem with Burt's Bees years ago.
no EDTA was listed on the package but I kept getting a "reaction".
called the company and was told that in fact EDTA was in it but because it is considered and "inactive" ingredient it did not have to be listed.
no ore Burt's Bee for me...........

one can make products w/o binders and/or preservatives.
there is a lot on the internet.

I go organic with Dr Adorable oils..............

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1422375162|3822701 said:
VRBeauty|1422370197|3822655 said:

unfortunately, products only have to list "active" ingredients.
I ran into a problem with Burt's Bees years ago.
no EDTA was listed on the package but I kept getting a "reaction".
called the company and was told that in fact EDTA was in it but because it is considered and "inactive" ingredient it did not have to be listed.
no ore Burt's Bee for me...........

one can make products w/o binders and/or preservatives.
there is a lot on the internet.

I go organic with Dr Adorable oils..............

I got a response(s) from Skinactives. They said they cannot help me because all their products contain those harmful ingredients i.e. parabens, etc in my no go list. I am pretty disappointed but not surprised. Oh well. Thanks for the recommendation anyway VR because it was worth the chance.

MovieZombie, I find that those ingredients are always listed in the inactive ingredient list but if not all you usually have to do is contact them for the full list. Sorry you have super sensitive skin too. :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1422380844|3822766 said:
I got a response(s) from Skinactives. They said they cannot help me because all their products contain those harmful ingredients i.e. parabens, etc in my no go list. I am pretty disappointed but not surprised. Oh well. Thanks for the recommendation anyway VR because it was worth the chance.

Darn! I'm so sorry to hear that. :(sad

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1422417473|3823053 said:
missy|1422380844|3822766 said:

Darn! I'm so sorry to hear that. :(sad

VRbeauty, thank you for your help and advice and do not worry about skinactives. I appreciate any brainstorming on the part of PSers in any way possible because you never know when I will find exactly what I need. So thank you very much for participating in my search!
And as always I will keep you all posted if I find anything that provides relief.

ame, were you able to schedule an appointment with the doctor? How is your neck today? Thinking of you and hoping your reaction is much calmer and preferably all gone by now!

I am disappointed because one of my orders seems to be lost in the mail. The one from Dr Alkaitis and I contacted them yesterday and they said to wait till Thursday and let them know if it shows up. If not they will resend. Oh well what's another week or so especially because I am too apprehensive to use any of the new products I have anyway LOL. Definition of insanity anyone... :wall:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mornin! I often giggle about this "insanity". But I do patch test on my arm first before my face. Doesn't always mean I won't have a freak out. But it slows my roll!

No it is not better, and I got a call back last night after hours that I missed because I was watching my nephew. Basically the message was that she doesn't know what the condition is, and not only "it's not that, it's contact dermatitis," and "we can set up an appointment for skin testing so I can prove it since you seem to take advice from anyone but me." Then I get the "you have to quit your allergy shots and all your meds for at least six weeks and we'll do the skin tests for the ingredients." 1) She refuses to acknowledge any possibility besides contact dermatitis despite the fact that I've quit using everything I own and used only bottled water and it still didn't go away. 2) there's no way in hell I will be quitting my shots bec I am not starting all over again. I need those medications to breathe. 3) my insurance does not cover this skin test she wants to do, nor can I get the amount of time off I need to take 2 hours off over 3 days in a week to go in to the office. I am not paying that much out of pocket to "prove you right" when I don't think you are.

I am looking for a new doctor. Everything I've read about this condition indicates it's commonly misdiagnosed.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I called a new doctor recommended by a few friends and my PCP and got in next week.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ame|1422455872|3823187 said:
I am looking for a new doctor. Everything I've read about this condition indicates it's commonly misdiagnosed.

Good for you!!! I didn't find my answer until I switched doctors after seeing the same one for 15 years. The new doctor pretty much figured out my what my diagnosis would be within 15 minutes of talking to me. A great lesson was learned to try a different doctor if the one you are going to is not getting to the bottom of the problem. Good luck with the new doctor:)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
2Neezers|1422461836|3823239 said:
ame|1422455872|3823187 said:

Good for you!!! I didn't find my answer until I switched doctors after seeing the same one for 15 years. The new doctor pretty much figured out my what my diagnosis would be within 15 minutes of talking to me. A great lesson was learned to try a different doctor if the one you are going to is not getting to the bottom of the problem. Good luck with the new doctor:)
Thank you!

I mentioned the condition "perioral dermatitis" when I made the appointment and the receptionist knew exactly what I was talking about right from the start. I felt like this was a good sign. Even if it turns out NOT to be, I figure that set up a good discussion. But based on everything else, it's looking HIGHLY likely. When my hair hits it I want to scratch it too, so I keep pulling my hair back, otherwise I have no itchiness.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck ame! I'm glad you were able to get an appointment with this new doctor and so quickly too. Hope whatever it is there's a quick or least efficient fix. This perioral dermatitis is challenging and unrelenting so I hope it's not that.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1422475745|3823360 said:
Good luck ame! I'm glad you were able to get an appointment with this new doctor and so quickly too. Hope whatever it is there's a quick or least efficient fix. This perioral dermatitis is challenging and unrelenting so I hope it's not that.
So much of it makes such sense. As do the locations, though my neck is puzzling. I am anxious but hopeful! :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1422476689|3823378 said:
missy|1422475745|3823360 said:
So much of it makes such sense. As do the locations, though my neck is puzzling. I am anxious but hopeful! :wavey:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you ame!

ETA: Have you tried an antihistamine to see if it helps at all? I cannot remember if you have tried that.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Ame do you have a cat? Seeing the picture of your neck reminded me of a ''rash'' that looked very similar to yours that my daughter had when she was just a toddler ( about 28 years ago) the doctors couldn't figure it out for the longest time, turned out to be a fungal skin infection. Can't recall of a specific name but do remember her saying it was a fungal skin infection and first question she asked was if we had a cat, which at the time we did. The cat was fine no ring worm or anything, just my daughter's skin reaction to the cat. Good luck to you and hope this gets figured out soon.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No I am VIOLENTLY ALLERGIC to cats like go to ER and hope I can get help before dying allergic. I don't want them or anything they touch near me. I tend to not want to be friends with cat people either lol

One of the many things I've rubbed on it was an anti fungal (basically jock itch ball cream) and no change.

I have taken plenty of Benadryl as well, no such luck there but many hours of sleep ;-)

Thanks!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, sorry to hear you have been having such a tough time with your skin. It does sound like hellish honestly! :blackeye: Just wondered if you have thought about trying a different dermatologist? I mean honestly, a second opinion wouldn't hurt...

Perhaps you could try this range? Order online: http://www.moogoo.com.au/ I have heard wonderful things about it, especially for people with crazy sensitive skin or allergies.

Some other ranges that spring to mind are:
- http://www.simpleskincare.com.au/
- http://www.cetaphil.com.au/
- http://www.sukinorganics.com.au I use this range myself - really nice and gentle.
- http://www.billiegoatsoap.com.au/
- http://www.grampianspure.com/product/goats-milk-soap/ Only 2 ingredients in this one!

Thinking about the exfoliation issue - how about just using a gentle warm wet face washer rubbed over your skin with no product on at all - just warm water? I think the accumulation of hemp oil must be contributing to the little bumps.

Also thinking about other pure natural oils such as Tea Tree, Rose Hip, Jojoba, Rose Water, Calendula, Evening Primrose etc... :read:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1422502675|3823632 said:
Hi Missy, sorry to hear you have been having such a tough time with your skin. It does sound like hellish honestly! :blackeye: Just wondered if you have thought about trying a different dermatologist? I mean honestly, a second opinion wouldn't hurt...

Perhaps you could try this range? Order online: http://www.moogoo.com.au/ I have heard wonderful things about it, especially for people with crazy sensitive skin or allergies.

Some other ranges that spring to mind are:
- http://www.simpleskincare.com.au/
- http://www.cetaphil.com.au/
- http://www.sukinorganics.com.au I use this range myself - really nice and gentle.
- http://www.billiegoatsoap.com.au/
- http://www.grampianspure.com/product/goats-milk-soap/ Only 2 ingredients in this one!

Thinking about the exfoliation issue - how about just using a gentle warm wet face washer rubbed over your skin with no product on at all - just warm water? I think the accumulation of hemp oil must be contributing to the little bumps.

Also thinking about other pure natural oils such as Tea Tree, Rose Hip, Jojoba, Rose Water, Calendula, Evening Primrose etc... :read:

Hi HotPozzum, thanks. I am planning on getting another dermatologist's input though I do very much trust and respect the expertise of my current dermatologist. It's just that it is very difficult getting frequent appointments with him. I have standing appointments with him as he is booked over 6 months in advance and it is a pain calling up the office trying to get an "emergency" appointment with him as he is overbooked really. I hate asking for favors too and have asked a number of times to be fit into his schedule despite my standing appointments because I needed to see him before that specific appointment(s).

And it doesn't hurt to get another perspective that is for sure. My main problem with this is finding a good dermatologist. For some reason no one has any recommendations. So, if anyone reading this has a recommendation for a dermatologist they trust in the NYC area please chime in...I have been looking to no avail. It doesn't matter to me if they do not accept insurance as my current dermatologist doesn't either and at this point I just want to find someone who can figure it out if that is possible.

Your suggestion about the little bumps being caused by clogging of the oil is a good one, thank you! I have been gently cleansing with the "magic mitt" every other day since my skin is very fragile and when I do this too often it gets very angry at me even though I am doing it very gently. I use the magic mitt (microfiber cloth) and Avene thermal water and gently wipe my face in small circular motions removing oil/dirt/dead skin flakes etc. I am currently waiting on a couple of orders that contain samples of cleansers that are supposed to be gentle and I will try that way of cleansing too. I am worried to introduce new things to my face because it always reacts badly to anything new. My problem area is mainly my nose right now. I have around 5 pustules (albeit tiny but still) on my nose. Lovely.

Thanks for those other recommendations too. I will check out that moogoo site and those others. Cetaphil however is a no go. They contain "bad" ingredients on my NO list and probably not good for most people in the long run either IMO.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and advice. Much appreciated!

ame, any change today? Do the hives on your neck itch or hurt? Are they changing in size at all?

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Missy,
I just wanted to thank you for commenting on the cetaphil ingredients for me :). This morning I woke up with cheeks full of tiny white pimples :( I think it happens every time I eat eggs. We had omelets for dinner. So many different foods seem to be the culprit for my rosacea. Have you been able to identify any foods that set you off?? Bananas and beans are another one for me and soy :(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bbziggy|1422536352|3823750 said:
Hi Missy,
I just wanted to thank you for commenting on the cetaphil ingredients for me :). This morning I woke up with cheeks full of tiny white pimples :( I think it happens every time I eat eggs. We had omelets for dinner. So many different foods seem to be the culprit for my rosacea. Have you been able to identify any foods that set you off?? Bananas and beans are another one for me and soy :(

Oh, I am so sorry bbziggy! Yes certain foods that I know cause a reaction for me are dairy and chocolate and peanut butter unfortunately. And spicy foods and anything with too much sodium and hot temperature foods. Simple carbs like cereals and other yummy carbs. :cry: Others I am not so sure of but also afraid to find out if you kwim. I did stop beans a few months ago just in case but no improvement so I was thinking of adding them back in to my diet because I miss them. I love black beans and chic peas.

Did you add butter or anything to the eggs that might be the culprit? I hope this reaction goes away quickly for you. Sometimes food reactions go away quickly and I hope that is the case for you!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1422535837|3823737 said:
ame, any change today? Do the hives on your neck itch or hurt? Are they changing in size at all?
Nope... My eyelids are both still ridiculous, but thankfully my undereyes are currently not angry. My face is calm ish at the moment.

They only itch if my hair or shirt brushes on them and tickle the area and then I go at it with my hands. That's the only way I even really know it's there.

You might want to stop using that chamois. I use the clarisonic with the cashmere head--its the softest they have--and only use it like 2x a week max. Anything more (and anything above the middle setting) gives me a facial freakout. I've read that some of these conditions actually get angrier with exfoliation.

I think it's a great idea to see another dr. I am not in the area but it's worth a shot.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results