shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the most $$$ you would wear on your finger?

most $$ for a ring

• Under 10K

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • 10-20K

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • 20-30K

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • 30-40K

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • 40-50K

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • 50-60K

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • 60-70K

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 70-80K

• 80-90K

• Over 100K

Votes: 29 23.8%

• Total voters

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1421343666|3816878 said:
How much would I wear? No limit. How much can I afford? A whole different answer.

Same here!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had the money?

Ummmm... Millions, if it made me happy.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10-20k would be my max; I would be uncomfortable wearing anything more expensive since I'm clumsy with my hands.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear the biggest, most expensive ring possible. Diamonds, no matter how large or small, really are a girls best friend!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I put $10-20K. I just would feel odd wearing more than that on my hand. I might be able to stretch the amount that I feel comfortable wearing to $30K as I get older though.

I think that I would feel weird and self conscious wearing more than that on my hand.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm hoping more people will vote but so far the space between 60K and 100K is getting very few votes. It's either up to 50K or over 100K. Curious if that's how the vendors see the their sales distributed.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the time, I feel like I am wearing too much on my finger. It seems crazy. I love it. But it's a crazy amount of money. I guess if I had millions of dollars and could afford to lose it, it wouldn't bother me so much. I am not getting rid of it for any practical reasons though. I will just have to live with it....

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought about this and for me if we are talking one FINGER then I'd be in the $10k range (in a world where I actually had this type of $$$ lying around). If you said FINGERS / Wrists, then it'd be higher. I am finding that I am going for HIGH quality basics, for example on one finger right now I wear about 3k, but that's w/minimal diamonds. In my world that is an astounding amount for what I wear (diamond eternity, simple rg band, and my :love: Cartier Trinity :love: ), but I realize in PS world that's a drop in the bucket. If you said fingers/wrist then I'd be in the higher range as I am still hoping/planning for a gold bangle (again a Cartier, but that's a far fetched dream) and a diamond tennis. Again, it's not high in PS world, but in mine :o :shock: :D

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I initially thought $10K but that seems a bit on the low side. I know 1 carat is huge in real life for my area but I put together a 1.02 carat H, SI1 and a platinum halo with plain band at WF and that went just above $10K so that's a bit low. I put together my ideal ring with money being no object (1.88 carat I, SI1 with pear sides) and went just over $21K. So I could easily see myself spending in excess of $30K for a higher colour and clarity and still feeling comfortable wearing it (though perhaps not to work or while riding a bike!) if I could afford it.

I found it much more shocking to attempt to vote thinking under $10K before putting together my ideal ring and coming in at $21,826 before shipping, taxes and duty. Ideally it'd be an OEC with pear sapphire sides, but this was a quick shopping trip to see how much I could comfortably rack up in my virtual shopping cart...and it's a lot! I don't have $20+K going spare at the moment :$$):

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I chose $30-40k. It would take a major financial windfall for this to happen. I know that I would like to have a 2.50ct to 3ct G-H EC solitaire. My current ring is so far from that, I think & plot about upgrading just about daily. Realistically I can see myself affording a 2ct I-J in a couple of years and if I stop buying other jewelry. I'm always looking at gemstones so I keep spending the money allocated for an upgrade. :rolleyes:

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I voted for over $100K... I would easily (and happily) rock a 5-7 carat EC :naughty:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted $10-20K.

That figure is based on spending money I've earned (no lottery winnings or money falling from the sky), my current life style (retired and no longer getting dressed up for work) and comfort level with spending money on myself (trying to work on this last one :rolleyes: ).

The nice thing about this poll is that I realize I would probably be OK with spending the money necessary to purchase my ideal ring; not right now, but at some point.

However, I love seeing all the beautiful diamonds and settings on PS that are well beyond that price range! :love:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1421369535|3817129 said:
The practical side of me won't let me go over the price of a small car. If it approaches the price of a car or real estate, then it should be a car or real estate IMO. I love bling. I love seeing it, but I just can't justify putting that big a proportion of my net worth into it.
I agree with this. For say 50-100k, I'd rather have a beach cottage/rental properies or something like that.

I think it also depends on how much you make, so what % of your income you are putting towards bling. With my income right now (which definitely isnt terrible!) I wouldn't be able to justify that much, even if I could pay for it in cash.

I will just look in envy at everyone elses' 100k+ jewels!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's possible to wear something that is over $100K, but doesn't look like it. For example, a half carat fancy blue diamond. I think it also depends on "the look" you want to achieve, and how many bodyguards you can hire. :naughty:

Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem wearing a million dollar piece, but I would be worried about being "held up" for it, or not having it insured, or properly set (what if the stone falls out??).

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, I'm having trouble answering this. Right now, as things stand, I wouldn't go any higher than what I have, which is under 10k (WAY under). If I had more funds/less debt/different career (social work)? Well, that may change, and I may be willing to swing a little more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took the original question as what would we feel comfortable with considering our current situation and finances. I guess in a dream world I could say I'd wear a million dollar ring, but that will never be my reality. I am at my max now in the 2 ct range, $30-40K. That is also the price of my last car. I don't spend money on luxury cars since they depreciate, so I'd rather have more money for jewelry. But in my world, I would not feel comfortable at all wearing a larger diamond, and in fact, I sometimes think I should have stayed a little smaller than this one. I am thinking of getting a second diamond ring in the 2 ct range since I have two daughters rather than having one huge diamond.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the original question asked about current situation. But I like how optimistic PSers are about their future finances!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey:
I checked off the 50K range. That's my inherited ring appraisal, but only because it's Tiffany. In the real world it would be about half that. I don't feel comfortable wearing it very often-not because it's worth a lot - but because it looks too big to me and gets in the way.
Believe me - NO ONE around here would ever guess I"m wearing 50K on my hand, even if they thought it was real!
One of my favorite diamonds is my 0.60 D, so obviously I'm not about high end and size...but my dream is to get a nice square emerald cut around 10-14k.
My super dream is to have a good size green diamond...that isn't going to happen any time soon. Too frugal.
I should have checked off the 100K plus.
What does a million dollar ring look like? THAT would be fun to wear to the grocery store.

um...that was my short answer.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a million bucks, I'd rather wear a jewel-encrusted crown than a single ring. :naughty:

I voted 10-20k. That's according to my current lifestyle and surroundings. If we were in a different geographic location, I might go higher, but probably never more than 50k. Rather invest it or put it into daughter's education.

I'm at an odd (for a PS'r) place right now with regard to my rings. We've had money set aside for quite some time with which to upgrade/change setting/new band for me. And recently, I received an inheritance. I have grown attached to my rings, though, and now nothing I look at really appeals to me enough to want to change anything. It is kind of a strange feeling to feel satisfied, but I'll take it. I imagine someday the mood for change will strike again.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Will vote on the poll later as it doesn't show up on Tapatalk but 10-20k is my current range and I think I am comfortable right there. I do drive a used car but it cost almost as much as my ring since it's a midrange SUV but would have been probably only half my ring if I had stuck with a sedan or smaller SUV. Although I'd be happy to wear more despite the area I live in and theoretically could pull it off given my and my husband's jobs, we are trying to save for a house and plan on having kids in a few years so that wouldn't be practical now.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1421849348|3819809 said:
Yes, the original question asked about current situation. But I like how optimistic PSers are about their future finances!

That's no fun! I think I got carried away with it. Honestly, if I had the money I could easily wear something 2+ctw because around here no one would think it was real! Based on current finances though I think it's best to flog the lot and buy a flat. Property is terribly expensive.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can handle a 100k ring w/o any problem... :praise:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1422069331|3821208 said:

Haha me too. Maybe it's just with age we feel more confident in what we enjoy and not care as much as what others will think about our personal choices.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
Under 10k. I am male and do not have any desire to wear bling other than a plain band. My wife on the other hand, could very well be happy with 100k+ on her hand. :cheeky:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These days with four small kids, fancy rings have sort of lost their appeal to me. So I would answer much differently than I would have 4-5 years ago. Now I would say $2k or less.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1422105054|3821331 said:
Dancing Fire|1422069331|3821208 said:

Haha me too. Maybe it's just with age we feel more confident in what we enjoy and not care as much as what others will think about our personal choices.

Me three ... lol

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Any amount. Fancy colored diamonds here I come!

TechieTechie

Shiny_Rock
Wearing? Oh, I'd easily go over $50k, maybe even $100k. My great aunt has a 5 carat diamond ring (a 4 carat stunner surrounded by 200 small diamonds) that I'm hoping to inherit one day (I know it's bequeathed to my Mom). However, I will likely never see it as I anticipate my mom selling it for retirement and/or eventually that the family will demand that it be sold and the proceeds split.

Now, would I pay that much for a ring? Likely not. Probably over $10-$20k, I think my environment loving, Peace Corps save-the-world, improve the house fund, worried about my retirement lifestyle rational thought process would kick in. Though I have gotten used to my diamond watch rather quickly, and I have fallen in love with some very sizeable Leon Mege custom rings....so who knows :doh:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TechieTechie|1423020996|3826994 said:
Wearing? Oh, I'd easily go over $50k, maybe even $100k. My great aunt has a 5 carat diamond ring (a 4 carat stunner surrounded by 200 small diamonds) that I'm hoping to inherit one day (I know it's bequeathed to my Mom). However, I will likely never see it as I anticipate my mom selling it for retirement and/or eventually that the family will demand that it be sold and the proceeds split.

Now, would I pay that much for a ring? Likely not. Probably over $10-$20k, I think my environment loving, Peace Corps save-the-world, improve the house fund, worried about my retirement lifestyle rational thought process would kick in. Though I have gotten used to my diamond watch rather quickly, and I have fallen in love with some very sizeable Leon Mege custom rings....so who knows :doh:
If you really love that ring, save up to buy it from your mom. To me, a true antique especially with family history, is levels above LM ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results