shape
carat
color
clarity

question re golden SS pearls

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently purchased a pendant from Pearl Society and I love it.
it is not the deep golden but not champagne in color either.
the color looks particularly good on me....better I think than deeper golden.
it is not "ivory"............
is there such a thing as a color chart for goldens?

wp_20150126_006.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a gorgeous pearl :love: :love: ! It really does look amazing on you, Mozo. What size is it and is it round? I don't need exact dimensions, just approx. In any case, it's perfect on you.

All I've heard of for colors is champagne, med gold, deep gold. No doubt someone who knows more will pipe in.

Edited to add, love it with the longer pendant. Wonderful theme!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wonderful necklace(s)! I think that silver is hanging from your red gold chain, correct?

Wish I could help with the pearl nomenclature :read: --but, rather, I can only admire!

cheer--Sharon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, silver sand dollar hanging from 18k red gold chain......I obviously have no problem mixing metals!
the angle makes the silver pendant look particularly large: it is about an inch and 1/8 to 1/4 in diameter.
this is my "signature" piece that I wear 24/7.

the pearl pendant is wonderfully constructed so there is a flat piece of the "cat" on the back so the pearl does not sit on my skin.
I already had the silver "torque".

just now looked at the original eBay listing: Seller Notes:
“Here we have this fabulous pendant features a handsome panther in a relaxing pose with a gorgeous natural champagne golden in color, 12.6mm genuine Australian south sea cultured pearl & red crystal eyes. The "fine detailed crafted" panther is made of solid .925 sterling silver (STAMPED) plated 18K yellow gold......Thick (2.5 microns) 18 gold plated to withstand the test of time. Buyer will receive the actual pendant on the photos...Please note that photos are highly magnified to show detail and, therefore, may appear larger than actual size.....also note that the leather necklace is for DISPLAY PURPOSE only ~ It is not included with this offer.”

Style: Pendant Pearl Size: 12.6mm in diameter.
Metal: Sterling Silver plated with 18K yellow gold. Shape: Slightly button.
Metal Purity: .925 Luster: High.
Main Stone Color: Champagne Golden. Nacre: Thick.
Pearl Type: South Seas Surface: Generally smooth.
Country of Manufacture: Hong Kong PACKING: Gift Box.
Pearl Origin: Australia REMARKS: Photos have been ENLARGE to show detail.

well, it doesn't appear "slightly button"! it must be hidden under the metal piece on the back.
it appears more golden than "champagne" to me but certainly not a deep golden at all.
yes, it is 18k gold plated. I have no problem with that....I paid $99 for this pendant and I am very very happy with it.

however, i'd love some earrings to go with it. i'm not matchy-matchy so I can go some different ways. I have worn it with some white pearls already. I obviously also have no problem mixing my pearls as well! I just don't want to spend lots of $$$$ on the earrings. and i'm in no hurry so perhaps i'll find another bargain!

another picture I took in the car [with a piece of my large silver w/22k gold trim pearl ring to the right and which I should get pictures of an post as well]:

wp_20150126_008.jpg

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to look at Jewelmer to see if they have some photos. There are many shades it seems. I recently saw a shell photo filled with Golden's somewhere. If you're looking for a match to the pendant I'd send it to PP for their next buying trip.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I found this chart; I had never heard of lemon.

I think this is the GSS shell photo (I had saved it).

gss_color_chart.png

golden_ss.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, thanks for the chart: appears to be a medium gold when I put the pendent up to my monitor......

don't need an exact match but something close would be nice........
I did look at PP website and think the idea of asking for a "shopper" is a good idea.....

it really is a good color on me but I think I could go a bit lighter and darker as well........probably lighter would be my preference.

thanks for the help, pearl lovers!

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
If PS called it champagne, that's what I would go with. The deep goldens are actually fairly dark. And very expensive.

I just had another thought; Akoyas occur in a natural golden color, and are a fairly good match to the GSS.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, will go with PS description of color.......
as we in the CS forum know monitors are not to be trusted!

i'll keep my eyes out for any and all that might be a good pairing.....I prefer lever back, though.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1422387936|3822835 said:
If PS called it champagne, that's what I would go with. The deep goldens are actually fairly dark. And very expensive.

I just had another thought; Akoyas occur in a natural golden color, and are a fairly good match to the GSS.
Congrats, MZ, on a gorgeous pendant.

I was thinking the same thing about earrings. I often pair my golden akoya studs from PP with my lighter golden SS pendants.

GSS pearl prices go up as the color gets deeper golden. :naughty:

GSS pearls are also often dyed, but, of course, not those from PP. :praise:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
will keep my eyes out for akoya goldens.

I think I got lucky with this pendant......the others at the PS website are $50 more......

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
The owner of http://www.purepearls.com/ Ashley writes for JewelryAsia you can find a link to a wonderful article a sellers guide to golden south sea pearls. It is against the rules to post links to blogs or I would. So go to Pure pearls scroll down to the bottom of her page and go to her blog and after your on the blog there is a tab on the top of the page that says industry click that and find her article in the list there. It is a very comprehensive article on how to choose goldens. Even though it is a treasure hunt it will be worth the read. She has done other articles that are also very informative. Enjoy :mrgreen:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, 4RanchGirl! I haven't spent a lot of time at PPs ... that Dark Man Rises necklace made me gasp. Wow.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
They grow them.

jewelmercolors.png

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dyed SS pearls often have a brown cast to them. I've also seen some big bead nucleated freshwater pearls which look exceedingly like top quality GSS (price is big, though not as big as equivalent real GSS)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looks like you got a very good deal. I quite like the Champagne colours ... I'm sure there is an official breakdown of each category of colour though perhaps that's up to the individual seller. I like the mid champagne colours .. very soft but still a definite colour. That's what yours looks like to me. Pretty colour ! :appl:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pearlescence|1422524945|3823711 said:
Dyed SS pearls often have a brown cast to them. I've also seen some big bead nucleated freshwater pearls which look exceedingly like top quality GSS (price is big, though not as big as equivalent real GSS)

Do you have pics of the fwp that look like GSS? If yes appreciate if you can share some pics! Tia!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They're 13.3mm bead nucleated. Dyed obviously. but metallic and flawless. One is very very slightly lighter than the other.

p_pair_of_butterscotch__yellow_ming_rounds_4109.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Pearlescence|1422692737|3824865 said:
They're 13.3mm bead nucleated. Dyed obviously. but metallic and flawless. One is very very slightly lighter than the other.

Thank you for sharing. The luster looks fabulous!

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
That's a gorgeous choker! Congratulations on your find.

cyndayco

Rough_Rock
That's a gorgeous choker! Congratulations on your find.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1422376935|3822729 said:
I recently purchased a pendant from Pearl Society and I love it.
it is not the deep golden but not champagne in color either.
the color looks particularly good on me....better I think than deeper golden.
it is not "ivory"............
is there such a thing as a color chart for goldens?

Does it have a lovely orient in real life? It looks really fab from the vendor pic and such a great buy. Congrats and wear in good health!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovely orient? not sure what that refers to when speaking of pearls......
it appears completely round and has plenty of luster.

I had purchased some golden dyed freshwaters from Catherine a few years back and the difference between this pearl and that strand is night and day.

I've been wearing this pendant every time I leave the house this week and it certainly has drawn some attention..........

yes, I think I got my $'s worth and more with this one!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, I've seen some really yuck 'gold' dyed freshwaters. They come out like lumps of earwax. EBay fodder. Those two don't have a trace of orange or brown.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Pearlescence|1422725107|3825015 said:
Yes, I've seen some really yuck 'gold' dyed freshwaters. They come out like lumps of earwax.

I just flashed on Harry Potter Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results