shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat has ringworm...

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is funny, when people noticed the pulling I went on antidepressants too which made the pulling so much worse. I have read about that too. Now that I am off it is much better. Learning to control the urge is much harder than it sounds and it is great you accomplished that!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, honestly I am not sure if the vaccine they had in the US was the same as the one in Europe, the one we have here I think saved my life honestly as RW was impossible to deal with and it kept coming back no matter what I did, vaccinated and boom nothing, never came back, that was over ten years ago and I would have known it as I had kittens too at that time and for years after that, they never had to be vaccinated and they were not and did not get it so my cats must have cleared it and so did I. My mom's cat contracted it and they did the same thing. Just so upsetting why it is not available there. I can ask for advice for you, my best friend who is in the US still breeds Abys and rescues stray kitties on a small scale and she brought it in and got rid of it, that will be the best. At the time I used bleach as my understanding was that nothing else really works but I had to do carpets with 1:10 and they got wrecked so never had carpets after that.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the part that's frustrating me, that bleach is really the only thing that works. The room where he spent most of his time and will probably spend most of his time upon his release from kitty jail is my office, which has hardwood floors plus lots of upholstered furniture and books, none of which are bleachable. I have vacuumed the heck out of it and sprayed around an ammonia-based cleaner, which I guess is all I can really do. I'm going to ask my vet again tomorrow when I speak to her for a checkup. He will probably be coming out of isolation tomorrow and staying in my office for the remainder of his treatment since I think once the hair grows back he isn't dropping so many fungal spores (if any).

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay we seem to be more or less through it. The cat is done with his oral meds and will go back to the vet in about a week to be checked - I've spotted a weird spot on his heel and then there's something going on on his nose so I'm putting the topical on it, and I'd like to avoid putting him back on the oral meds if at all possible because I could tell they made him feel bad.

I ended up with getting no ringworm - I had things I thought were ringworm but were really just me being paranoid - but my husband got two spots of textbook "that is definitely ringworm" ringworm.

Anyway, here are some internet resources on ringworm and decontaminating the environment:

http://www.sheltermedicine.com/node/56
http://members.petfinder.com/~MA199/resourcePages/volunteers/shelterCleaning.pdf
https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Animal_Services/Foster_Care_Manual/Ringworm_FostersFNL.pdf
http://www.maddiesfund.org/documents/Resource%20Library/Ringworm%20Audience%20QA.pdf

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you are all through this! Its so much work, you are a trooper and so is kitty. I know what you mean about being able to tell they feel bad, we had to give one of our Westie's cyclosporine and she drooled and was nauseous and threw up and had diarrhea and gurgling/flatulence, poor thing. I lasted 3 days giving her that medication, why give them something that just wrecks them. We found other ways to calm her allergies down.

Glad you're all well, although sorry to hear your DH had two spots.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is awful if I am understanding it right that it came back. You can definitely bleach hardwood floors with a 1:10 and when I was desperate I bleached carpets, upholstery and everything, diluted enough it does not wreck them but it definitely can. It still came back though. I only succeeded with the shots. I will definitely check with my friend that got rid of it without having the shots available. Please let me know if I misunderstood and you are successfully out of the woods.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results