shape
carat
color
clarity

Waiting Game

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I hope I'm posting in the right spot! I wanted to get your opinion on typical waiting time for a few scenarios. The first: I have inquired (filled out an online form) about a potential custom job from a jeweler. It's been 4 days since I have submitted the form, should I contact them again or wait it out? Call?

I've approached a few vintage/estate dealers either through their own websites, Etsy stores or Ebay stores regarding the purchase of an item or personally selling an item of mine. One never replied and 2 have left me hanging- I'm currently waiting for their responses. One Ebay seller (Estate/Vintage dealer) simply never replied to my question ( Emailed the same question 3x) and I was ready to purchase the item. This was disheartening to me because it was an item I really loved.

Are my expectations too high? Am I simply impatient? I feel like my approach is always pleasant, respectful and courteous. I have found on Ebay especially, the jewelers or estate dealers I've dealt with have been curt and borderline rude.
Has anyone else had such experiences?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After 4 days, I would probably call the vendor to make sure the email didn't get thrown into their spam box. They should at least acknowledge your email. Your expectations are not too high; it appears as though their customer service is lacking and I would look elsewhere. I would be concerned that if I purchased the item and found defects or need to return it, the same would happen and I would be stuck with an item I do not want/love.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono, I contacted one of the vendors again and got a response about my custom project :)
As far as selling and waiting to hear from estate/ebay dealers- I've learned that if they are really interested (doesn't happen often) they will reply immediately but rarely purchase from individual sellers. Why is this? I think I just don't know enough about the business at all... It's been quite a learning experience for me, trying to sell on Ebay. Some of these estate dealers have been so kind and make a point to say things like "your piece of jewelry is so lovely but we wouldn't be the right seller for you". Others are just very blunt and to the point "We'll list it for a starting bid of .99 and whatever it sells for, it sells for.
Can someone explain this to me? This is obviously very common for high volume sellers?

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
They probably do not purchase from individuals as what you perceive as a fair price may be higher than what they could purchase it via trade only avenues. I assume this as there are prices for items in my industry that the company I work for could buy it at that are far lower than what the public could purchase it for.

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
I see, thanks for the info!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results