shape
carat
color
clarity

18-24" of Snow for NYC!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Rhode Island has basically closed down. Traveling ban in effect until further notice. Power failures are expected. They are telling us to be patient and be prepared to "hunker down"for several days.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cuomo has announced a road travel ban after 11pm, emergency vehicles only.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1422307053|3822344 said:
ame|1422299846|3822273 said:
YICK! I hope everyone stocked up on some food before now. I've seen some posted photos around the net of RIDICULOUS lines at grocery stores.

The grocery store parking lot at the store where I usually go was crowed yesterday, but not the store. Today I went to the hardware store (I called ahead rather than waste a trip) to get two to three way adapters. To my amazement they had absolutely everything in stock! Shopping there before the snow was like going Christmas shopping. The only downside was that it was like shopping on Christmas Eve. Even worse. The entire town was in this tiny village store and the checkout line snaked through the aisles. But I actually enjoyed the experience. It took about 45 minutes to get to the head of the line, but it was very collegial. No one pushed or shoved or was rude or "New York-y". Then instead of leaving with just adapters I left with two de-icing sprays; a new, lightweight snow shovel; a new flashlight (which we badly needed); batteries in two sizes. It was delightful!

It's been snowing here for a few hours now, but nothing special. Yet.

Deb/AGBF

LOL Deb, we NYers are very nice! I know we have a reputation and all but believe me when push comes to shove you can count on (most) NYers. In fact I think NYers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Just saying... :halo:

Big hugs to you Deb and you know I adore you!!!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I went to the whole foods on houston and bowery at 1 pm today. it was a zoo. the lines came out of the register areas (which thenselves are like 2000 sq ft) and went down nearly all the aisles. I asked an employee who was managing the lines if the were still doing delivery albeit with no guaranteed window. she said there is no delivery. So I got far less than I meant to, but still far more than I wanted to carry even with my messenger bag on my back. When I got the the cashier I learned it was not true, they were doing deliveries as I suspected with no window. Still I got what I need for two days for only $142.!! And carried it home in a windy and hard falling snow but only of 2" accumulation. Then I went to my local butcher and got a huge hunk of osso buco, which became the base of the gallon of lentil soup I made. The real snow isn't coming to Manhattan but Coastal Westchester, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts are in for something special. Since everyone knows it is coming I hope plans have been made, work put aside and that everyone makes the best of it, enjoys what they have and stays safe.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, It looks as though Connecticut is going to be hit particularly hard by the storm. Please stay safe and warm. Hopefully you will have lots of time for Pricescope tomorrow!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They have cancelled mail delivery tomorrow, so it looks like it is still coming our way.

MisterMadelise

Shiny_Rock
Stay warm, and mostly, safe. And post pictures of snow please!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Killing time with awesome movies, first up: Office Space in honor of not going to work tomorrow :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay safe and warm PSers!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
In Manhattan, it now looks as thought we may have only an angry inch or two. Still, along the coast east of here all the way through Nova Scotia (from where my people hail) there is going to be a significant and dangerous storm. Be safe everyone.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1422323609|3822469 said:
In Manhattan, it now looks as thought we may have only an angry inch or two. Still, along the coast east of here all the way through Nova Scotia (from where my people hail) there is going to be a significant and dangerous storm. Be safe everyone.

The real snow isn't until midnight...hold on tight!

METEOROPOULOS UPDATE: Monday, 1/26/15 8:36PM
*** THE EURO BLIZZARD OF 2015 IS SET TO EXPLODE!!! ***
*** HEAVY SNOW, STRONG WINDS TONIGHT FOR NYC METRO ***
*** STICKING TO ORIGINAL CALL OF 18-24" FOR NYC METRO ***
EURO BLIZZARD:
Yes. I made up the name "EURO BLIZZARD". And rightfully so! Since the EURO computer model NAILED this storm from the start! ONCE AGAIN proving why he is our King! When EVERY other model was saying no snow, the King spoke each time on his model run and was ever so persistent on this storm hitting the NYC METRO area with big snows. MEGA props to the best model in the world! The pre-cursor to the EURO blizzard started out with lighter snows, then quickly went to moderate and heavy snows this morning. This was not directly related to the blizzard, but became part of it as the main storm combined it's energy in the past few hours to create this upcoming blizzard. They merged energies and essentially became one entity.
Earlier today, the snow was heavier than I first thought, but I did say we would have light snow all day today, just was a bit heavier. We have already had anywhere from 3-5 inches having fallen in our area. Well, get ready tonight as these forces have just combined! The jet stream has gone negative tilt, with high pressure blocking to the north, cold air in place and a VERY slow track up the coast - even a STALL at some point, will produce TREMENDOUS snows over night with wind gusts up to 50MPH for NYC and 70 MPH for eastern Long Island! 4 MPH short of a Category 1 hurricane! She is back-building out in the Atlantic Ocean right now while getting POWERFUL by the minute, just having completed the merge of storms and is headed RIGHT FOR US ALL as I write this!!! HEAVY SNOWS will commence within the next couple of hours for all and will get down right HEAVY overnight and well into Tuesday!!!
ACCUMULATIONS:
Now that the stage is set, and this BEAST is RAPIDLY INTENSIFYING while coming our way, it is time for me to FINALLY post my FINAL accumulation totals...
NYC...................................................18-24"+
Central Long Island............................20-26"
Eastern Long Island...........................24-30"
South Western Connecticut...............18-24"
South Eastern Connecticut................24-30"
Northern Connecticut.........................24-30"
Lower Hudson Valley.........................18-24"+
North Eastern New Jersey.................14-20"+
North Western New Jersey.................12-18"+
Central New Jersey.............................10-14"
Poconos, Pennsylvania.......................8-12"+
(+ indicates areas where more snow may fall due to uncertainty)

juno.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All bridges and tunnels are closed, the freaking subway has stopped running, buses, LIRR, all of it! I hope everyone is home by now or crashing somewhere comfortable! Let's see what the morning brings!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Asscherhalolover- I love your map! ;-) :appl:

Honestly, I'm really surprised everyone doesn't live in the green part already. :)

What's the point of living in the white part? :confused:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love weather events & enjoy our local weather blogs, but that map Asscherhalolover, was the bomb!! Never have I seen anything like that, it does look like a hurricane set up doesn't it!

Stay safe everyone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good snowy morning PSers! I hope everyone is cozy and warm where they are...NYC subways are going to start running again at 9AM and the travel ban has been lifted for NYC and New Jersey I believe. How is everyone doing today? I hope those in Connecticut are safe and warm and have power and that everyone is comfie and enjoying being home today...

(((Hugs))) to all on this snowy winter morning. :wavey:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1422366529|3822630 said:
Good snowy morning PSers! I hope everyone is cozy and warm where they are...NYC subways are going to start running again at 9AM and the travel ban has been lifted for NYC and New Jersey I believe. How is everyone doing today? I hope those in Connecticut are safe and warm and have power and that everyone is comfie and enjoying being home today...

(((Hugs))) to all on this snowy winter morning. :wavey:

Everything is fine here. As our local paper said, we were prepared for the worst, but got the best.
I do believe it is better to be prepared than not. But listen to how ready we were!!! And then: nothing!!!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

"The epic blizzard of 2015 turned out to be nothing more than an annoying snow storm and town officials are breathing a sigh of relief.

After dire predictions of up to three feet of snow, Greenwich was spared the brunt of Winter Storm Juno. Town Emergency Management Operations Coordinator Dan Warzoha told Greenwich Time on Tuesday morning that the town received only six inches of snow and that there were no major incidents on Monday night. Connecticut Light & Power reported no power outages in Greenwich on Tuesday morning and none were reported overnight.

Nor was there any coastal flooding as had initially been feared. Coastal surge had been projected to be between three to four feet in Greenwich due to the storm and there were fears that it could go as high as seven feet when high tide came in.. Fortunately high tide took place at 4:39 a.m and Warzohoa said there were no issues.

“It’s a storm where we prepared for the worst and received the best,” Warzoha said Tuesday morning.

...​

'It’s clear that this storm didn’t live up to the forecast,' Tesei said. 'We dodged a bullet. There were a lot of forecasts talking about 20 or 30 inches of snow and it looks like we only got six inches. We’re very fortunate and it looks like this is going to end up being a bonus day of rest for most people.'

...​

The town’s two emergency shelters, at Eastern Middle School and the Bendheim Western Greenwich Civic Center, did not open though they had been set to in case of a major, long-term power outage or significant flooding in town.

The town’s Emergency Operations Center remains open but Monday was a relatively issue free night. Warzoha said that there were some automatic fire alarms that were set off but no actual fires and the only other incident was when a snow plow struck a fire hydrant. As of Tuesday morning, the Greenwich Police Department had not reported any incidents either.

'There wasn’t much of anything,' Warzoha said."

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's ruby?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very happy to hear the storm did not meet expectations! Hope everyone has power and is enjoying a day of rest at home!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse the picture through the window screen...but for your viewing pleasure.

snowybrooklynjan2015.jpg

prettysnowjan2015.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live 20 miles east of Manhattan and it's still snowing here! We have at least 12" so far (no counting the huge drifts) and it's still coming down. Pics soon!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite a bit more here!

They keep on showing up upside down, I give up trying to fix them if this doesn't work!

_26402.jpg

shoveled.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Asscher, my pics don't show it for some reason but it is still coming down in Brooklyn quite a bit. And it is very windy too! Still pretty though unlike it will be as soon as more people are out and about and there are more vehicles on the roads causing the snow to get dirty. Right now however it is a pretty snow still. Looking forward to your pics!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything looks so beautiful.....until the snow gets dirty.

I'm glad everyone is safe! The pictures are beautiful Missy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake said:
Everything looks so beautiful.....until the snow gets dirty.

I'm glad everyone is safe! The pictures are beautiful Missy!

Thanks Callie! Here are some more sent by my sister. Oh to be a kid again. I can (barely!) remember those days. :bigsmile:

bethanyandalexasnowdayjanuary2015.jpg

bethanysnow2015.jpg

alexasnow2015.jpg

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your nieces are so cute! I can still remember how much we loved snow days.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1422374326|3822690 said:
I live 20 miles east of Manhattan and it's still snowing here! We have at least 12" so far (no counting the huge drifts) and it's still coming down. Pics soon!

Well, I am glad you were prepared!!! My brother, who also lives in Connecticut ("also" meaning "also" like me, not like you ;)) ) has 18". While Governor Malloy lifted the travel ban on this part of Connecticut early this morning, it is still in effect where my brother lives. The mall where my niece's new husband works is closed. I have read that Nantucket and Worcester in Massachusetts were hit very hard. I have a message in to my great-nephew in Cambridge to see how hard they were hit. I talked to him on the phone for about 45 minutes last night and he wasn't very worried. He used to have to dig out his car* from the street when he lived in far out Boston suburbs, but now he is in a highrise building and commuting to work at a pharmaceuticals company via the metro!

AGBF

*Even worse was when he was working his way through undergraduate school as a mover and driving a refrigerated truck from Boston to Brooklyn for a rabbi! Sometimes he had to dig trucks out of the snow!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your pictures, missy! Does your sister live close to you? Do you get to see your nieces often?

Deb

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We just finished digging out just the entrance the the driveway and about half of the long part, not even touched the parking pad in the back. We're breaking for lunch and advil :)

We ended up with about 14-16". It's hard to tell exactly BC the wind blew it all around so much. In some spots it's 6" and in others over 20"!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
We knew there would be staggering differences in accumulations within small distances. Here in Soho we got about 4 inches, while in Jamaica Queens they got 10. They are both in NYC, about ten mile apart to a crow. Last I heard Nantucket had no power. Sicuate Mass looks to have been hit hard with three foot floods from tides, and two feet of snow. I hope everyone is safe, warm well fed and enjoying it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results