shape
carat
color
clarity

Hidden Netflix Gem Thread

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh thank you for this thread blackprophet and thank you to all the PSers who have shared these hidden gems!

Last night we started Dear Zachary based on your recommendation and OMG it is so moving. We have not yet finished it because we started it late and had to go to bed in the middle of viewing it but will continue tonight. I am very frustrated by how that situation was handled but won't say anything more for fear of giving too much away to those who might start watching it. Very sad. :(sad

Looking forward to watching other suggestions recommended here. Thank you!
I wish I had some of my own to recommend but all I can recommend again is Gilmore Girls and The Fall. If I can remember any other little known recs I will add them here.

Some movies we watched and enjoyed recently on Netflix while not little known perhaps something you did not yet see...

Surface (a series actually-very enjoyable IMO)
https://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70202891?trkid=200250784

Remembrance
Lars and the Real Girl
A Simple Plan
The Perfect Host
Top of the Lake
Tiny Furniture
Harold and Maude
Room with a View
Seven
The Squid and the Whale

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra|1422037439|3820936 said:
Absolutely loved Scott and Bailey, great female detective series! I watch Canadian, US and British Netflix (until they stop allowing my go around). Les Revenants (The Returned) was a great series. Can't wait for season 2. I'm currently watching The Paradise about a shop girl in the first British dept. store. Also loved Downton Abbey, The Killing, and surprisingly, Hannibal was amazing. I was afraid to watch Hannibal but it is so perfectly nuanced, it was in a way, delightful. There was a very good Australian series, Wentworth, nothing like Orange is the New Black, but a similar prison setting. Secrets and Lies, another Aussie mystery thriller was good too. The British series Broadchurch was amazing, another murder mystery with David Tennant. I don't watch tv, I watch Netflix. :cheeky:

I can't wait until the next season of Scott and Bailey. Thanks for the recommendations, Lyra! I'm putting those on my list of shows to check out. We wanted to watch Broadchurch after Grace Point ended but we would have had to buy it, and I didn't want to.

Last Tango in Halifax is a good series, also British. It's directed by (and/or was developed by) the same person who did Scott and Bailey, I think. Nicola Walker is in both, and she was also in MI:5.

Apparently I'm on a British TV show kick. :bigsmile:

I haven't watched it yet but I've heard good things about the series Mr. Selfridge with Jeremy Piven.

ETA: Oh, and this show isn't really a hidden gem because it's on during NBC's prime time line up, but Parenthood is so good. It's about a typical family, and I feel like I know the characters personally. The series is ending soon, but it's definitely worth watching.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe, I don't know how many seasons of Scott and Bailey you've seen, but all of Season 4 is available right on YouTube. :appl:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Happy Valley," "The Killing," and "The Bletchley Circle" are also very good.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra|1422037439|3820936 said:
Absolutely loved Scott and Bailey, great female detective series! I watch Canadian, US and British Netflix (until they stop allowing my go around). Les Revenants (The Returned) was a great series. Can't wait for season 2. I'm currently watching The Paradise about a shop girl in the first British dept. store. Also loved Downton Abbey, The Killing, and surprisingly, Hannibal was amazing. I was afraid to watch Hannibal but it is so perfectly nuanced, it was in a way, delightful. There was a very good Australian series, Wentworth, nothing like Orange is the New Black, but a similar prison setting. Secrets and Lies, another Aussie mystery thriller was good too. The British series Broadchurch was amazing, another murder mystery with David Tennant. I don't watch tv, I watch Netflix. :cheeky:

I really liked Wentworth! Forgot about that one. We don't have cable so I watch a lot of Netflix too. ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We finished watching "Dear Zachary" last night. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Stop reading if you have not yet seen this documentary please.

I could see that outcome from miles away though. It's easy to say you know what you would have done without ever having been under those circumstances of course but I feel I would have done things differently because I anticipated that tragic final outcome. OMG haunting and how could the government have done so many things wrong in this case. The If onlys are haunting. That poor family. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for that recommendation blackprophet. I would have never heard of it and some of the other recommendations here if it wasn't for you starting this thread.

We started watching "Black Mirror" after we finished "Dear Zachary" and saw the 3 episodes of the first season. Why were there only 3 episodes? We will watch season 2 perhaps this week. Anyway, I thought it was thought provoking to some degree and enjoyable though I did avert my eyes during some of the scenes. A little simplistic in some ways and over thought in others but enjoyable nonetheless. Thank you for that recommendation Vapid.

Zoe, we loved "Last Tango in Halifax". I think we got that recommendation on PS last year but I cannot remember who recommended it to us. Maybe you? Thanks if you did because it is a very enjoyable show.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
We are watching Sons of Anarchy at the moment. Loving it!

Also loved
Call the Midwife
The Borgias
The Tudors
The Paradise
The Forsyte Saga
Broadchurch
The Fall (although the second series was too drawn out)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got Netflix again after having been unsubscribed for ages. I only got it because I wanted to rewatch Leverage and it isn't on Amazon Prime instant video and it was faster to sign up for Netflix than to pirate it (uh, wow, that reveals just how lazy I am). But most of the stuff it has on there is the exact same as Amazon Prime, so I'm not sure it's going to be worth it once I'm done with that and a couple of other shows I was kind of interested in that weren't on Amazon. I expected it to have more movies? idk idk I was pretty underwhelmed, especially since I still like Amazon's streaming platform better.

--

Timer - a movie about soulmates

Much Ado About Nothing - the joss whedon & co one, gut-bustingly hilarious

I haven't watched this, but a lot of people I know love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

I've also heard Marco Polo is really good.

part gypsy|1421880655|3820106 said:
I also loved Dirk Gently Holistic Detective agency, if you want something equally odd, but more light hearted.

There's a show of that? I loved the books.

For those who have watched Hannibal, will it be scary? Like, Buffy and Angel were scary enough for me to have to watch during the daytime and The X-Files is too scary for me to watch AT ALL and I don't do horror films???????

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We watched all episodes in the first season of The Fall this weekend, and it's really good. I don't watch the violent parts, and I'm glad that some episodes focus less on that and more on the scenes with Gillian Anderson.

Any recommendations for nice, lighthearted shows?

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe|1422267279|3822146 said:
We watched all episodes in the first season of The Fall this weekend, and it's really good. I don't watch the violent parts, and I'm glad that some episodes focus less on that and more on the scenes with Gillian Anderson.

Switched at Birth
The Fosters

are my recommendations in that regard.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1422186784|3821750 said:
Thanks for that recommendation blackprophet. I would have never heard of it and some of the other recommendations here if it wasn't for you starting this thread.

This is the point of the thread, Glad people are finding things out of them. I haven't gotten a chance to look at all the recommendations, but I will be. I know there are lots of great things on Netflix, but the system is not geared towards finding them.
They really need to overhaul the way you browse.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blackprophet|1422305341|3822328 said:

This is the point of the thread, Glad people are finding things out of them. I haven't gotten a chance to look at all the recommendations, but I will be. I know there are lots of great things on Netflix, but the system is not geared towards finding them.
They really need to overhaul the way you browse.

Totally agree. I can never find things on Netflix. I didn't even realize the new season of Last Tango in Halifax had arrived or The Fall and I was eagerly anticipating them both. Now I just hope we have power long enough to watch them lol.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1422259061|3822138 said:
I just got Netflix again after having been unsubscribed for ages. I only got it because I wanted to rewatch Leverage and it isn't on Amazon Prime instant video and it was faster to sign up for Netflix than to pirate it (uh, wow, that reveals just how lazy I am). But most of the stuff it has on there is the exact same as Amazon Prime, so I'm not sure it's going to be worth it once I'm done with that and a couple of other shows I was kind of interested in that weren't on Amazon. I expected it to have more movies? idk idk I was pretty underwhelmed, especially since I still like Amazon's streaming platform better.

--

Timer - a movie about soulmates

Much Ado About Nothing - the joss whedon & co one, gut-bustingly hilarious

I haven't watched this, but a lot of people I know love Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

I've also heard Marco Polo is really good.

part gypsy|1421880655|3820106 said:
I also loved Dirk Gently Holistic Detective agency, if you want something equally odd, but more light hearted.

There's a show of that? I loved the books.

For those who have watched Hannibal, will it be scary? Like, Buffy and Angel were scary enough for me to have to watch during the daytime and The X-Files is too scary for me to watch AT ALL and I don't do horror films???????

Definitely more scary than Buffy and Angel. Very suspenseful and very gory. Now, I'm one of those people that can suspend disbelief, but at the same time be fully aware that anything I'm watching is not actually real. So gore doesn't bother me too much. What I appreciate is the utter dark humour and level of manipulation that Hannibal is capable of. Love Hugh Dancy as Will Graham. In all, very intelligent writing, very character driven.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1422289674|3822218 said:
Zoe|1422267279|3822146 said:

Switched at Birth
The Fosters

are my recommendations in that regard.

Thanks, blackprophet! The Fosters is on my list, and I'll check out Switched at Birth. We've also watched a few episodes of The Office. We never watched it when it originally aired.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
We finished watching "Dear Zachary" last night. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Stop reading if you have not yet seen this documentary please.

I could see that outcome from miles away though. It's easy to say you know what you would have done without ever having been under those circumstances of course but I feel I would have done things differently because I anticipated that tragic final outcome. OMG haunting and how could the government have done so many things wrong in this case. The If onlys are haunting. That poor family. :cry: :cry: :cry: .

I just finished watching this and all I have to is...wow. :shock: What a sad sad story. :cry:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just finished the first 2 seasons of Last Tango in Halifax. What a great recommendation! I'm now onto season 3. :appl:

April20

Ideal_Rock
I love The Paradise. They just added season 2 (though I believe it's been cancelled. Booooo!)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is on Hulu but Zoe, "Stella" is very cute. You may like it.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
"Frequencies" was a movie that my wife and I enjoyed watching together. Interesting concept.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I've been binge watching Enlightened this morning. I like it.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I love Netflix and I love a ton of stuff on it...ok maybe 2 tons of stuff :mrgreen: ...

Dr. Who
Warehouse 13 (I wish they would add more episodes)
Leverage (I loved the romance between Parker and Hardison and wanted them to get married)
Medium
Ghost Whisperer
Agatha Christie's Poirot (love the 'stache)
Miss Fishers Murder Mysteries
Rosemary & Thyme
CSI: NY
Sherlock (can't wait for more episodes)
The Hunt for Red October
Property Brothers (these guys are so nice!!!)
Color Splash
Rehab Addict
Numb3rs
Odd Thomas (wow)
Salvage Hunters
Income Property
Addams Family (both movies are great)
Buying and Selling
Emma
Sense and Sensibility
Ted Talks
Psych
Midsommer Murders
White Collar
Ken Burns

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Color Splash is on Netflix???? EEEEK! I loved that show. I never thought to look for HGTV/DIY shows on there.

MisterMadelise

Shiny_Rock
The Final Member. My editor cut the film. It's a movie about a Swedish curator of a phallic museum. Some things are pretty incredible...

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
packrat|1422841160|3825735 said:
Color Splash is on Netflix???? EEEEK! I loved that show. I never thought to look for HGTV/DIY shows on there.

IKR! Its only the Miami ones. I wish all of them were on because David is so talented, but there's always hope, right?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went and stuck it in my queue! Are there more hgtv shows on there? It said it's under the reality genre but I couldn't find it, I had to do a search.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
By the way, several people recommended Scott and Bailey, but it doesn't show up when I do a search for it. Does anyone know if it is still available?

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Packrat, I found it under "Recently Added".

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm I better keep an eye under that category then, thanks!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I also did a search for "HGTV" and came up with these other shows, "Buying and Selling New York", "Holmes Inspection Collection", "Property Brothers", "Cousins on Call", "Love it or List It", "House Hunters Collection", "Flea Market Flip", "Income Property", "Buying and Selling with the Property Brothers", and "The Brian Bointano Project".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results