shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: Red Spinel Heating Treatment Continues

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was checking online to my usual spinel gemmology group and noticed a lot of heat treatment going on with pink/red spinels, particularly Burmese spinels, even when the original colour was a beautiful pink. The reason for this is to meet the increased demand for pinkish red to red spinel. I'm still waiting to see more accurate before and after pictures but felt that this is important enough to warrant a heads up warning. Per Richard Hughes, many of these Burmese heated stones are also thrown into red oil afterwards to improve both the colour and clarity.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for the notice, Chrono. That's disappointing to hear, but so it goes, I guess. A red spinel is in my future at some point, so I'll definitely have to be thorough when that time comes.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What colors and tones are heated and what are the results? Are dark tones heated like sapphire to create lighter tones or are different colors heated to produce others like purple paraiba heated to neon blue?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MJO,
So far only the medium toned purplish pinks are heated in an effort to remove the purple modifier. Debate is ongoing as to the results. Pictures show a change from bright pink to medium dark red but many noticed that the white balance is off, therefore the change is likely to be less dramatic than initially thought.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info Chrono. Does this treatment leave any trace, or alterations in the structure that would enable labs to determine if a stone has, or has not been heated?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the info Chrono!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
These "trials" are not done by labs or in labs; they are done in the field by miners with the intent to sell so I don't think the results have been studied officially yet. Perhaps either Vincent or Richard will pick up a sample to send to a lab? I do not know where this is headed and I am sorry I don't have any further information to share other than a heads up that nobody can presume there are no unheated spinels in the market just because the treatment seemed unsuccessful in the past.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the information Chrono. Very discouraging news. :(

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono. I am very disappointed by this as I have been on the hunt for a decent red spinel.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, fwiw, I did not find the after heat treatment to be an improvement so they clearly have a ways to go...

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/509c23aee4b011ec832b1737/t/5106eb7ce4b0195ed62de82c/1359407996288/Spinel+Treatments.pdf

above is another good old read for the beginner; thank you Chrono for the update. I have been following along and find it too is low level in the hands of the miner/mine run buyer to "cash in" on the better color bringing a higher marketplace price. You see these things like the red oil, etc. when they are trying to make a quick color change as many rely on the buyer not having test instruments to see such things in the field :( But many have seen such a price increase in gems like the Mahenge spinels it makes those wheels of greed start turning in those heads... another sad thing...

Please stay diligent as this may be the only way we will know in time to head off a disaster as we all know many times the laboratories are 1 to 2 years behind the event and that can be costly to the consumer :boohoo:

Most Respectfully;

ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
Thanks for the SpinelLover link; yes, I was disheartened to read it there. It may not be an improvement now (who's to say when they will succeed?) but how is the average buyer to know that the spinel he/she is looking at is heated or oiled or whatever else when the general word out there is that spinel is untreated? Also, as Dana said, labs are always several years behind in uncovering treatment so it is almost a guarantee that some will be burnt by this before light is shed on this practice.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1421860892|3819904 said:
Personally, fwiw, I did not find the after heat treatment to be an improvement so they clearly have a ways to go...

I liked the before pictures better as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1421861597|3819915 said:
minousbijoux|1421860892|3819904 said:
I liked the before pictures better as well.
Me too; the colour was a beautiful bright pink.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1421861540|3819913 said:
Minou,
Thanks for the SpinelLover link; yes, I was disheartened to read it there. It may not be an improvement now (who's to say when they will succeed?) but how is the average buyer to know that the spinel he/she is looking at is heated or oiled or whatever else when the general word out there is that spinel is untreated? Also, as Dana said, labs are always several years behind in uncovering treatment so it is almost a guarantee that some will be burnt by this before light is shed on this practice.

You are absolutely right! And you are thoughtful enough to bring the information back here for others to know about as well. It is unnerving to think that something as rudimentary as a charcoal fire can make a difference to coloration. Unnerving because undoubtedly others with greater resources are on to much more sophisticated techniques and are, as is typical, ahead of the labs. :(sad

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why can't the labs be keeping abreast? I mean, wouldn't we all be willing to pay $15 or $20 more for a lab report if those resources could then be used for research and development purposes to keep up with treatments? That is, to have their own staff do their own due diligence and experimentation?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1421864163|3819939 said:
Okay, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why can't the labs be keeping abreast? I mean, wouldn't we all be willing to pay $15 or $20 more for a lab report if those resources could then be used for research and development purposes to keep up with treatments? That is, to have their own staff do their own due diligence and experimentation?

Most labs are "for profit only" so it may not be worth their time and money to have a R&D department to sniff out the latest treatments on all the gem types out there. From my personal observation, such treatments are only discovered when a trade member notices an influx of gorgeous gems at low prices, buys some and sends of one or two to the lab for verification.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooer, thanks for the heads up!

DK :))

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Egads. Thanks so much for the info Chrono!

mastercutgems said:
many have seen such a price increase in gems like the Mahenge spinels it makes those wheels of greed start turning in those heads... another sad thing...

So true, and such a shame.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ah, this brings back memories of gently warmed good times, eating traditionally heated holiday cookies and roasting spinels on an open fire.

spinfire4.jpg

spinbeforeandafter.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
mastercutgems said:
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/509c23aee4b011ec832b1737/t/5106eb7ce4b0195ed62de82c/1359407996288/Spinel+Treatments.pdf

Thanks for the article. I remember reading it a few months ago but it's good to refresh my memory and to be aware of the new heating done to red spinel.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm not truly surprised some people would try to heat Burmese spinels; some Tanzanian spinels are heated as well now, to drive out the silkiness.
While uncommon, I've seen a few very fine and large (over 5 ct) red spinels heated. As far as the Tanzanian stones go, the labs were able to tell if the stone was heated or not so far.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results