shape
carat
color
clarity

5.20 Carat Unheated Burmese Ruby Value Opinion Need?

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Dear all,
I really need someone honest opinion on Burmese Ruby value?
I have an offer to buy an Burmese Unheated Red Ruby Gia Certified 5.2 carats for $13,000 ($2,500 per carat)
I know the this ruby is not perfect, I am attaching images to check, but also know that Burmese rubies are very valuable specially these over 4 carat and on the top of that this one is untreated whic could ass more value to it, so could you please check the pictures and please let me know your opinion if $13,000 is a good deal or I shoul pass it out, I would live to buy it as investment if the price is a good deal< here are the spec of the stone and also the images and the GIA certificates are included. Thank you all!
Carat Weight: 5.20 Carats;

Measurements: 9.58 x 8.22 x 7.68 mm;
Shape: Cushion;
Cutting: Faceted;
Colour: Red
Clarity: Milky-Transparent (SI2), Near Eye-Clean;
Grading: "A" (on a scale of "A" to "E");
Origin: Mogok (Burma);
Treatments: None (Guaranteed Natural & Untreated)

_26065.jpg

_26067.jpg

_26068.jpg

_26069.jpg

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
I forget to attach the GIA cerificate, here are

_26070.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemvalue|1421411823|3817305 said:
Dear all,
I really need someone honest opinion on Burmese Ruby value?
I have an offer to buy an Burmese Unheated Red Ruby Gia Certified 5.2 carats for $13,000 ($2,500 per carat)
I know the this ruby is not perfect, I am attaching images to check, but also know that Burmese rubies are very valuable specially these over 4 carat and on the top of that this one is untreated whic could a$$ more value to it, so could you please check the pictures and please let me know your opinion if $13,000 is a good deal or I shoul pass it out, I would live to buy it as investment if the price is a good deal< here are the spec of the stone and also the images and the GIA certificates are included. Thank you all!
Carat Weight: 5.20 Carats;

Measurements: 9.58 x 8.22 x 7.68 mm;
Shape: Cushion;
Cutting: Faceted;
Colour: Red
Clarity: Milky-Transparent (SI2), Near Eye-Clean;
Grading: "A" (on a scale of "A" to "E");
Origin: Mogok (Burma);
Treatments: None (Guaranteed Natural & Untreated)

This is what is going to bring down its value significantly. Remember that when it comes to coloured stones, treatment isn't the be all and end all. You also have to take the clarity into consideration and for me, milkiness due to inclusions is a deal breaker.

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Thank Chrono, I really appreciate your opinion, but what you really thing that value of this stone would be?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How accurate is the colour in the photographs and what is the light source used? Does it colour shift under indoor lighting (halogen, fluorescent, incandescent)? Does it fluorescence?

If you are interested in purchasing a ruby that will hold its value down the road, I'd pick something smaller that has better colouration and clarity (no surface reaching inclusions).

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono,
I do not have other pictures, these are pictures from the seller. Anyway, it seems this ruby is not a good investment. Chrono, may I ask if you have a source for good valuable rubies vendors?
Thank you

S

SparkliesLuver

Thought I'd stop by and throw in my two cents, but I know Chrono will have great suggestions for you.

I know your budget is a lot more than this, but I find it exquisite:
1.20cts
6.5mm, depth 3.5mm
Heat
$4,750
Velvety red ruby round, GIA describes this color in their report as "Pigeon Blood" red. No glaring inclusions, GIA lab report included.
http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html
(first row, third column)

They also have this one, which may be more up your alley:
2.08cts
8.2x6.5mm, depth 4.6mm
Heat
$12,480
Ooooh!!! BIG rasberry-red ruby cushion. Excellent clarity, Deep cool red with flashes of Pantone Coated Color Card "Ruby Red". Certified heat only, AGL lab report included.
http://www.gemfix.com/ruby.html
(fourth row, second column)

ruby_578_a.jpg

ruby_561_a.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemvalue|1421417291|3817347 said:
Hi Chrono,
I do not have other pictures, these are pictures from the seller. Anyway, it seems this ruby is not a good investment. Chrono, may I ask if you have a source for good valuable rubies vendors?
Thank you

I personally don't know any vendors here that sell investment grade rubies. If you're looking for a great deal on a fine untreated Burmese ruby, forget about it. They're extremely rare, and usually sold for enormous sums of money.

If you want a pretty stone for a ring, or piece of jewelry, then there are many vendors that can help, but the finest rubies are sold through auction houses, and some of the most prestigious jewelers in the world, if they can even get any.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
This color reminds me of Caplan Ruby color which is lighter than ideal, but boy, this is my favorite Ruby color, and some people prefer this because it looks brighter and fiery.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/speaking-of-holy-grails.195236/#post-3556388#p3556388']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/speaking-of-holy-grails.195236/#post-3556388#p3556388[/URL]

The most important is whether the seller pictures are accurate, the descriptions themselves are misleading, "milky but near eye clean", and you can see inclusions and chips from the pictures.

Here are some vendors that have plenty of Rubies, for full list, check our vendor list in sticky part

http://www.ajsgem.com/burma-ruby-gemstone-ruby-2046340429.html
http://www.africagems.com/ruby05to99carats.html

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Ideally, an investment grade ruby would likely be (there are probably exceptions) untreated, Burmese, of vivid red or purplish/pinkish red saturation, medium to medium dark tone, eye clean to slightly included clarity (silk inclusions), and have decent a ct weight. And preferably have a decent cut. That's gonna come out much more than 2,500 per ct and will prove difficult to source, but not impossible. The nicest ruby of that description I've seen for sale online was just over 2 carats and 50k -- after the vendor put it on sale because he was retiring (not that I've spent a lot of time looking) but I'm not sure if it was truly investment grade. I agree that buying a smaller, finer gem is a good idea. 13k is a lot of money. You can spend it more wisely imo.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Are you investing to gain value over time, or is your primary motive to make a beautiful piece of jewelry.

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
My primary motive is to make a beautiful piece of jewelry with rare ruby and gain value over time selling it in the future time

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, the ruby in question is unlikely to gain much value over time, with too many inclusions and surface imperfections, and not a nice cut.

DK :))

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
I know the ruby is not perfect, if that was a perfect ruby that would cost over $120k-$150k in my opinion this type of cut and color for a 5.20 ct untreated Burmese ruby certified by GIA should be a good deal for $13k especially set to a jewelry the value of it should be doule, I think! I hope I am ringht because I am going to spend $13,000 for it, finger crossed :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please reconsider your purchase but if you truly love it, then by all means, go for it. Just be aware that the value will hardly increase over time due to the colour and clarity. To me, it isn't a good deal and if I had to make a sacrifice in order to make it fit my $13K budget, I would get a smaller sized stone but with much better colouration and clarity.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy it if you love it - but that is not an investment stone.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I would not love that stone, and I would not buy that stone.

eta:
"Clarity: Milky-Transparent (SI2), Near Eye-Clean;"
What on earth does this mean,and how on earth could one take seriously a vendor who would offer a stone as such?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I recognized the style of this listing and saw the stone on the vendor's site. There is another lab report with a photo pf the stone that is likely to be much bore representative of how the stone will look. Also a video that is bombarded with light like Lawrence Livermore trying to make fusion.

I will hold off posting the youtube link because that would reveal the vendor, and I would hate for a lurker to snatch that stone out from under you, as incredibly unlikely as I think that would be.

_553.png

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I have no problem with a milky ruby but the cutting quality and esp. the "naturals" on the pavillion are terrible!

The stone look used - never an investment grade and def. extremely difficult to sell.

Chrono is right - try to get a 1-2 ct ruby with a beautiful quality and not that piece.

I have seen a 2,44 ct cushion - eyeclean ( think heated) full of life and with a beautiful color - 11000 Euro. Sold quickly!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Concur with the others, in that if I were to spend that much money on a ruby, or any gemstone, I would go for a smaller stone with better colour, cut and clarity (except for the likes of cats eyes and star sapphires/rubies etc...), and not this stone.

Quick search on AJS Gems returned 6 rubies between 10k to 13k USD, and I would snap up the heart if I have that many pennies to spare!

http://www.ajsgem.com/burma-ruby-ge...ight&sort_order=DESC&items_per_page=45&=Apply

DK :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clicked on this thread because I am also interested in buying a ruby in the next few months. But I will have to add my very strong advice not to buy this stone. I think you'd have a lot of trouble getting your money back out of it. I honestly wouldn't pay $5k for it. Actually, I wouldn't buy it at any price. I have never bought any stone for an investment, but I do know to buy the best quality within my budget. And I think you'd be looking around 2 cts max to get a good ruby for jewelry from the ones I have seen so far with your $13k.

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
Well after I purchased that 5.2 Ct unheated Burma ruby, it's time to show you the ring I made with, please advise what do you think, afer all I think I get great deal, at least I hope so ...

burma_ruby_0.jpg

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
From this angle it looks nice. Can we see from top above angle?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results