shape
carat
color
clarity

HELP! DSS has set in less than 3 months of being engaged!!!

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Re: HELP! DSS has set in less than 3 months of being engaged

Wow! Gorgeous photographs. You are incredibly beautiful and you and your fiancé make a lovely couple.

akoya

Shiny_Rock

i do think u look soooo Happy and thrilled... with that hand raised up pic... not sure if u are admiring yr ring back then. The proposal makes a good day too :clap:

3 mths later, u realized u r not that happy with that diamond that may has play a part to make u so happy on that day ........... that adrenaline shooting up feeling~~~~

maybe you should search more before getting the new stone. looking at different cuts etc so you can decide which one u really like in case DSS sinks in again.

Treasure your wealth and happiness. Congratulations

--------------------------------------

KobiD, i liked your comment :bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

IAmMrsWhite|1421980532|3820706 said:
LLJsmom|1421976499|3820691 said:
walkersareit|1421970237|3820641 said:
I can't speak on diamonds. In fact, if you want some humor, read up my new ring. :lol:

However, I think I have a little experience in the marriage department. We will be celebrating 25 years of marriage on the 27th. When you speak of your fiancee, your terms of endearment are how I feel about my sweet hubby. He can walk into a room and my heart still goes pitter patter. Sure, we have had our moments just like any two married persons, but his overwhelming desire to please me has made me look internally at myself. It's probably what draws me even more to him even though we both are aging and not looking the same as we did 25 years ago.

Even though most men may not openly admit it, a man's feelings are very tender and need to be nurtured. They may say it doesn't bother them, but it really does down deep.

Unfortunately, early on in our marriage I received a gift that I didn't think was worthy of the moment. It didn't meet my expectations. I learned later he had spent a great deal of time picking out the gift. I saw it had crushed his spirit when he realized I wasn't content with the gift I had received. I was young and insensitive, but through the course of the years, his giving heart has turned this young, insensitive person to look at the intentions of the heart and not the physical gift.

This gift he gave you was from the heart and you will never be able to put a price on the emotions that went into buying it just for you. I think the gentlemen on this thread are admirable for giving their thoughts on this. I truly believe they hit the nail on the head.

Congratulations on your engagement and cherish the wonderful man who will one day be your husband. What a wonderful treasure!
Walkersareit, while I can understand and appreciate your sentiments, I would venture to say that each person's husband is unique and different. The OP's husband may not assign the same sentiments your husband did, or the same sentiments that any of the men that posted did. And maybe he did. I'm saying only the OP would know. So they should do what works for them. Although we each share our personal experiences, IMHO it would be a mistake to assume that her husband/their relationship would be adversely affected. They would be the best ones to determine that, and make their decision accordingly.

I appreciate everyone's comment. BUT Well said! :clap: LLJsmom
My FI and I communicate great. It took me 5 years to FINALLY realize that this man says what he means and that's it! No its, buts, or ands. I would always "assume" how he feels or would feel about something rather then just asking him. I was wrong every time. He is true to his word. Simple Man. And I love him to pieces. I met him when I was 19. I am about to turn 26 in a week. Our 6 yr anniversary is tomorrow, Jan 23rd. He is truly the most amazing man I know. Treats me like a Queen! I know my wants and needs are different from everyone else. I am truly blessed to have someone who loves me unconditionally and who loves seeing me happy. A ring is a ring. Everyone has different tastes.

I actually let my FI read some of the comments and he was surprised at how some of you could assume how he felt when you don't even know him. You couldn't be more wrong about my hubs to be.

I made this post to get some insight about how some of you deal with this diamond frenzy of DSS....not to get bashed about it.

Thank you to those who get what this topic was about. I appreciate it!

Here are some proposal pics :love:

I didn't read any posts where anyone assumed how your fiancé was feeling and I also didn't see where you got bashed :confused: Some posts discussed how your fiancé MAY OR MAY NOT be feeling, so it's really all just speculation on anyone's part. When you start a thread, you need to be open to viewpoints, thoughts, opinions, and even assumptions that you may or may not agree with. Most of the posts here seem very supportive. The overwhelming majority seems to think that if you're not happy with your ring, you have the money for an upgrade, and your fiancé is fine with it - then keep an open mind about looking for an upgrade. There are few things in life that are not somehow related to other issues - just as the topic of your ring is related to how your fiancé may (or may not) feel about your ring. It seemed like a reasonable part of the dialogue to me considering that he bought it :D Certainly no one has questioned your relationship in any way - your pictures are adorable. Wishing you the best in your relationship and enjoy your engagement! If you chose to upgrade, good luck on your choices:)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you are a gorgeous couple and congrats on your engagement. I agree with the other posters that you might consider round brilliants next time around because they face up larger and will give you more bang for your buck so to speak..... If you are both on board with buying a new ring and can afford it, buy a new ring. Life is short - enjoy it.

IAmMrsWhite

Rough_Rock

Like I said in previous posts,I appreciate everyone's insight. Maybe "bashed" wasn't the correct word to use and I'm sorry if I offended anyone by using it. I actually have read some bashing on PS and it is nowhere near what you all have said, so I apologize. Thank you all for being supportive. :clap: I am actually taking all of your suggestions. I already said in an earlier post that I am open. I received a lot of good advice and I will definitely keep them in mind. I actually went home last night and took my e ring off and left it off all night long. I woke up for work this morning at 6AM and gave it a good clean and let me tell you....she was GORGEOUS :love: ....then I caught a glimpse of it in the mirror and I stared in awe. :love: :love: :love: :pray: :pray: :pray: Diamonds have a way of making a girl feel amazing and crazy all at the same time! :twirl: :twirl:

Again, I appreciate each and every one of you for taking the time to post something so I can see a different perspective. :) I'm glad I wrote this post to get it out. I have made no big changes or decisions. I spoke to my FI last night and brought up about maybe designing my own wedding bands instead??? And he was down for that as well. I kind of like that idea. :think:
Since money/time is a non factor I want to give this some more time. I truly do love my ring.

What do you ladies/men think would look good with my e ring? (Keep in mind that I would like to have 2 bands) I've seen so many different bands and sometimes the bands take away from the e ring and I don't want that.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Congratulations on your engagement! You guys are beautiful together - love the pics!

You know the saying, "It's the thought that counts"? Ever since I got a crappy Secret Santa gift in the fourth grade (looking at you, Josh Schneider!), I've always thought that ought to mean it's worth thinking about, or even rethinking it, if need be. Gratitude for the sake of gratitude does no favors for the giver or the receiver. Your FI sounds like a winner with a good head on his shoulders, and if you've been together for 6 years, raising a child together, I'm going to bet you've already got a shared economy. If you can afford to upgrade and you're both happy about it, there's no reason you shouldn't ... it's a bigger waste to have money tied up in something that doesn't make you bounce with delight every time you see it!

If there were financial constraints, I'd be suggesting setting changes (for example, a number of people have expressed the belief that three-stone rings can give more finger coverage than halos), but since there aren't ... go, check out some other rings. Definitely try the imitation route to be sure before you buy (I have saved so much money over the years by "test-driving" various styles and cuts over the years ... it's a fabulous way to be sure). Since it sounds like you guys can afford the jump, my advice is to, a) go by measurements and not by carat weight, and, b) definitely check out other cuts. Radiant cuts don't have ideal parameters, so you really have to just double and triple check ASETS and verify with your eyes: there are gorgeous radiants in the three-carat range that can face up small and two-carat stones that can face up huge! I didn't spot it earlier in the thread ... did you say what your current stone's stats are? Could you repost? I'm curious how it faces up - it really does look huge on your hand! But if it doesn't satisfy, check out marquise & ovals and see if something catches your fancy. Good luck, and either way, post pics! :naughty:

Diamoneecee

Rough_Rock

IAmMrsWhite|1422028148|3820872 said:
Like I said in previous posts,I appreciate everyone's insight. Maybe "bashed" wasn't the correct word to use and I'm sorry if I offended anyone by using it. I actually have read some bashing on PS and it is nowhere near what you all have said, so I apologize. Thank you all for being supportive. :clap: I am actually taking all of your suggestions. I already said in an earlier post that I am open. I received a lot of good advice and I will definitely keep them in mind. I actually went home last night and took my e ring off and left it off all night long. I woke up for work this morning at 6AM and gave it a good clean and let me tell you....she was GORGEOUS :love: ....then I caught a glimpse of it in the mirror and I stared in awe. :love: :love: :love: :pray: :pray: :pray: Diamonds have a way of making a girl feel amazing and crazy all at the same time! :twirl: :twirl:

Again, I appreciate each and every one of you for taking the time to post something so I can see a different perspective. :) I'm glad I wrote this post to get it out. I have made no big changes or decisions. I spoke to my FI last night and brought up about maybe designing my own wedding bands instead??? And he was down for that as well. I kind of like that idea. :think:
Since money/time is a non factor I want to give this some more time. I truly do love my ring.

What do you ladies/men think would look good with my e ring? (Keep in mind that I would like to have 2 bands) I've seen so many different bands and sometimes the bands take away from the e ring and I don't want that.

I look forward to your suggestions!

You and your fiancé are look so cute together and seem to have great heads on your shoulders. Some young couples don't seems to have it together as much as you two these days. The process for looking for your wedding bands is great idea(any opportunity to look for more bling can never be wrong) and designing your own is exciting.

What are some of the things that appeal to you both?
What things about some bands do you like and what don't you like.?
Start there and narrow down what works for your lifestyle and then they are so many here that will give you ideas on great bands!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't know if bashed is the right word, but there were some VERY harsh words lobbed your way. You're allowed to change your mind about something once you've lived with it for a while. And if your fiance is willing and you're collectively able to change it, do it. If you choose not to, that's fine too. But don't let anyone's words here make you feel lesser about any plans you make to change or not change it or influence your opinions or feelings about it!

You seem to have a great relationship, and a very supportive fiance. You have lots of time to make the decisions. Try things on and see what you think.

As for what would look good--I like a matching band and a plain band the same width. But I am matchy.

IAmMrsWhite

Rough_Rock

ame|1422040975|3820966 said:
I don't know if bashed is the right word, but there were some VERY harsh words lobbed your way. You're allowed to change your mind about something once you've lived with it for a while. And if your fiance is willing and you're collectively able to change it, do it. If you choose not to, that's fine too. But don't let anyone's words here make you feel lesser about any plans you make to change or not change it or influence your opinions or feelings about it!

You seem to have a great relationship, and a very supportive fiance. You have lots of time to make the decisions. Try things on and see what you think.

As for what would look good--I like a matching band and a plain band the same width. But I am matchy.

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it. :) :) :) I am kind of matchy too. I've seen e rings like mine paired with LARGE eternity bands and I am just not sure how I feel about it. Some people like it but I feel like it would take away from the e ring.

Still contemplating my decision. Thanks for your support!!

IAmMrsWhite

Rough_Rock

Zizzy|1422011146|3820810 said:
Wow! Gorgeous photographs. You are incredibly beautiful and you and your fiancé make a lovely couple.

Thank you!!! :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations on your engagement! You guys are a beautiful couple!

I am of the school of thought if you can afford to get the ring of your dreams now (assuming you are sure it is something you will be over the moon for and enjoy) get it now. Life is uncertain and fragile and if you can upgrade to the ring you want now and enjoy it now and your FI is onboard why the heck not?

My dh is the same way in that he wants me to be happy and doesn't have an ego tied to an inanimate object. When he proposed I was not in love with the ring at all. I waited a couple of days to tell him haha as that was all the self restraint I could muster. We don't keep our feelings or anything secret from each other and it works for us. He was a little taken aback at first but he quickly got over that and wanted me to have a ring I loved. I mean we already have the men we adore and are in love with so why not get a ring that symbolizes that crazy in love feeling we get for our men?

Anyway that is my vote. Get the ring of your dreams now and enjoy and live in the moment. Enjoy your engagement and all the happy planning and activities leading up to the wedding and wishing you and your family all the best. :appl:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

Just curious as to why you want it bigger? I can understand if it's like half a carat and the person wants to see the facets clearly, but yours is 2cts and looks HUGE on you.

I bet if you stayed away from PS for about a month or so, you wouldn't care anymore. That's what happens to most of us..lol..

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_chris|1422045257|3821014 said:
Just curious as to why you want it bigger? I can understand if it's like half a carat and the person wants to see the facets clearly, but yours is 2cts and looks HUGE on you.

I bet if you stayed away from PS for about a month or so, you wouldn't care anymore. That's what happens to most of us..lol..

This is your opinion -- one person's 0.5 ct is another's 2.5 ct... 8) It's a nice size, but it's not just HUGE looking. Besides, she's already said she wants something larger, and it is her ring, so...

...why does anyone want bigger?? LOL ...does this really need justification?? ;)) :lol: :lol:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

msop04 said:

This is your opinion -- one person's 0.5 ct is another's 2.5 ct... 8) It's a nice size, but it's not just HUGE looking. Besides, she's already said she wants something larger, and it is her ring, so...

...why does anyone want bigger?? LOL ...does this really need justification?? ;)) :lol: :lol:

I never said anything was wrong with a half carat. In fact, I have half carats..lol.. I just meant that it's easier to see the facets in a larger stone. There was nothing insulting in my original comment. Don't look too into it.

and yeah, why does anyone want bigger? nothing wrong with the question.. I mean I know I don't want bigger. In fact, I'd go smaller for a higher color :)

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hallo IAmMrsWhite.

You know, it occurs to me - if you'd come on here and said you'd always wanted a .4ct diamond - and that when you got it, you realized you actually wanted (and could afford) a .6ct diamond, everybody would have said 'go for it!'

But a 2ct to a 3ct is exactly the same if you take out the money factor. And if you are in the lucky position that the money is not a factor for you - then I say go for it! A lot of people don't get it right the first time. And not everyone can visualize without trying it out for a bit (and I mean longer than just in the store). A bunch of women here have 3ct stones, and for a lot of them it's their 2nd, 3rd, or sometimes even more attempt. You worked it out sooner - so I say good for you! 3ct is a bit of a holy grail for a lot of people, and it's your decision as to whether you feel it suits you or not. I would love to be in your position re money not being an issue; frankly I'd try for a 3 ct stone in a heartbeat!

Good luck, and enjoy the place where you finally land. :)

ETA I have a 2.15 ct stone (as per my avatar) on a size 6 finger, and I feel it's proportionally smaller on my finger than I would like.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

MrsWhite, have you seen the diamond size simulator on http://www.diamdb.com/? On the upper right corner, you can input dimensions and the shape of the diamond, and then change the size.

For example, that marquise that was suggested (they're not for everyone, but golly they face up huge): http://www.diamdb.com/diamond/2.75ct-marquise-13.3x7.37/

Just something to play around with. Cutting out teeny tiny pieces of paper to balance on your finger is a lot more trouble. :)

p.s. mrsblop, a terrific point.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_chris|1422046528|3821027 said:
msop04 said:

I never said anything was wrong with a half carat. In fact, I have half carats..lol.. I just meant that it's easier to see the facets in a larger stone. There was nothing insulting in my original comment. Don't look too into it.

and yeah, why does anyone want bigger? nothing wrong with the question.. I mean I know I don't want bigger. In fact, I'd go smaller for a higher color :)

No one has said anything is wrong with a 0.5 ct -- and I didn't have to "look too into it" to see that some are judging and/or trying to talk her out of an upgrade for whatever reason. I mean, what if you wanted something bc you'd been influenced by PS (which you happen to like reading, BTW), and the advice given to you was along the lines of "just don't read PS" -- Mmmkay. :roll: Seriously? :lol:

All I'm saying is if OP wants a larger stone, then more power to her. ...and no one made any mention of color, so that's sort of irrelevant. :sick: If she wanted to go larger, she could get a higher color too if she wanted -- it doesn't have to be one or the other, KWIM? Anywhooooo... color is irrelevant to this thread.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-blop|1422047258|3821033 said:
Hallo IAmMrsWhite.

You know, it occurs to me - if you'd come on here and said you'd always wanted a .4ct diamond - and that when you got it, you realized you actually wanted (and could afford) a .6ct diamond, everybody would have said 'go for it!'

But a 2ct to a 3ct is exactly the same if you take out the money factor. And if you are in the lucky position that the money is not a factor for you - then I say go for it! A lot of people don't get it right the first time. And not everyone can visualize without trying it out for a bit (and I mean longer than just in the store). A bunch of women here have 3ct stones, and for a lot of them it's their 2nd, 3rd, or sometimes even more attempt. You worked it out sooner - so I say good for you! 3ct is a bit of a holy grail for a lot of people, and it's your decision as to whether you feel it suits you or not. I would love to be in your position re money not being an issue; frankly I'd try for a 3 ct stone in a heartbeat!

Good luck, and enjoy the place where you finally land. :)

ETA I have a 2.15 ct stone (as per my avatar) on a size 6 finger, and I feel it's proportionally smaller on my finger than I would like.

This!! AMEN, mrs-blop!! :appl: ...I would LOVE for my DH to say, "Yes, darling, you may pick out whatever you wish! ...some new diamond studs too?? SURE!!" :naughty: :love: ;))

KobiD

Shiny_Rock

I've been enjoying watching how some ladies minds work.. So different to most men (at least my mates anyway)!

While it appears some people are trying to talk you out of it, others are trying to talk you into it, others are merely offering suggestions. In the end the decision is between you and your partner and nothing anyone says should change that.

A bit more from the other side of the pond though.. things I can't comprehend (mostly due to my personality rather than sex), are the reasoning. What void has the current stone left? What is the appeal of a larger diamond? What does it achieve?

I'd be inclined to love the ring you have, your engagement ring. Its not small or ugly, and from what I have read you truly do love it.. you just lust for more! If finances are a non issue, I'd build another ring for another finger (why not? because you can!), or as your last post has aimed towards, build a nice stack. End of the day, I guess I see it as a first world problem.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Valid points, Kobi. Will you be satisfied with the upgrade this one time...will you be wanting another later? You have to ask yourself that. It's not a matter of will your fiance/husband be onboard, it's will YOU be satisfied with it when you upgrade this time. There's nothing wrong with a later upgrade, but don't start a chain of dissatisfaction that you can't maintain in life.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

msop04 said:
elle_chris|1422046528|3821027 said:
msop04 said:

No one has said anything is wrong with a 0.5 ct -- and I didn't have to "look too into it" to see that some are judging and/or trying to talk her out of an upgrade for whatever reason. I mean, what if you wanted something bc you'd been influenced by PS (which you happen to like reading, BTW), and the advice given to you was along the lines of "just don't read PS" -- Mmmkay. :roll: Seriously? :lol:

All I'm saying is if OP wants a larger stone, then more power to her. ...and no one made any mention of color, so that's sort of irrelevant. :sick: If she wanted to go larger, she could get a higher color too if she wanted -- it doesn't have to be one or the other, KWIM? Anywhooooo... color is irrelevant to this thread.

Are you kidding? :lol: .. wow.. out of all the posts that have discouraged her from upgrading, you pick mine? I asked a legitimate question with absolutely no hidden agenda.

Obviously I'm reading PS (you want a cookie for that keen observation?) I've also been a member her for over 10 years and have seen many ladies upgrade because of PS. Women who wouldn't think twice about it do it because this place becomes an obsession. So yeah, the comment about stay away for a month, well, it's true.
Now, I'm not saying this is the OP, that's why I asked why she wanted to upgrade.

I say EXACTLY what I think, there's no need for me to be coy about it. So once again, don't look too into my post, there aren't any lines to read between.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

KobiD said:
I've been enjoying watching how some ladies minds work.. So different to most men (at least my mates anyway)!

While it appears some people are trying to talk you out of it, others are trying to talk you into it, others are merely offering suggestions. In the end the decision is between you and your partner and nothing anyone says should change that.

A bit more from the other side of the pond though.. things I can't comprehend (mostly due to my personality rather than sex), are the reasoning. What void has the current stone left? What is the appeal of a larger diamond? What does it achieve?

I'd be inclined to love the ring you have, your engagement ring. Its not small or ugly, and from what I have read you truly do love it.. you just lust for more! If finances are a non issue, I'd build another ring for another finger (why not? because you can!), or as your last post has aimed towards, build a nice stack. End of the day, I guess I see it as a first world problem.

like :D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Capital letters + numerous emoties + exclamation marks + posts are written for, well, = entertainment.

Where are the like and dislike buttons? It's Friday night After all.

cheers--Sharon

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KobiD|1422049248|3821048 said:

Oooohhhh, KobiD... bless your heart. :lol: :lol: People upgrade all the time -- this is Pricescope, after all. Please don't take offense when I say that responses such as yours reminds me of that other forum where all the women "buzz" around talking about how you must be ungrateful and materialistic if you want something different... :D This is a diamond forum... we love diamonds! First world problems are the name of the game -- diamonds are a luxury item, after all. You don't need diamonds... and you don't have to be "filling a void" to want them. :bigsmile: Besides, she's already said finances are a non-issue, her FI is on board, so actually... the decision is now hers, and hers alone.

Why should OP be "inclined to love the ring"?? She's already made it clear her FI is totally good with it. Why should she have another ring made when the change she's wanting is for her ering?? I can only speak for myself, but if I wanted a different/larger/smaller/etc ering, a RHR wouldn't do a thing to change that... at all. :| What would a new diamond achieve? Well, if she wanted one, it may scratch the DSS itch she's having. ;))

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

canuk-gal|1422050092|3821059 said:
HI:

Capital letters + numerous emoties + exclamation marks + posts are written for, well, = entertainment.

cheers--Sharon

hey, she started it!! :devil:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

cheers--Sharon

LIKE!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_chris|1422050361|3821061 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

hey, she started it!! :devil:

Posted at the same time! No worries. ;))

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1422050733|3821062 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

LIKE!!

:lol:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1422050296|3821060 said:
This is a diamond forum... we love diamonds! First world problems are the name of the game -- :bigsmile:

so true! :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_chris|1422049933|3821056 said:
Are you kidding? :lol: .. wow.. out of all the posts that have discouraged her from upgrading, you pick mine? I asked a legitimate question with absolutely no hidden agenda.

Obviously I'm reading PS (you want a cookie for that keen observation?) I've also been a member her for over 10 years and have seen many ladies upgrade because of PS. Women who wouldn't think twice about it do it because this place becomes an obsession. So yeah, the comment about stay away for a month, well, it's true.
Now, I'm not saying this is the OP, that's why I asked why she wanted to upgrade.

I say EXACTLY what I think, there's no need for me to be coy about it. So once again, don't look too into my post, there aren't any lines to read between.

Being here a year or 10 years makes no difference to me... and I have no idea what you're referring to with a "hidden agenda". As far as the comment about reading PS and being influenced by it, I was being general, if not referring to the OP, not you... so no need to make that assumption and take it to heart. Seriously, are you always so quick to get heated?? :| Also, I happen to agree that taking a break from PS would help... but if the OP's anything like many of us, she may enjoy reading and learning about diamonds, so... that may not be an option she wants to pursue. Maybe it is... who knows -- that's up to her. :confused:

Anyway, this woman has told us numerous times the reason for her desire to upgrade her ring -- in case you missed it, it's because she wants a larger stone. Simple enough, I think. FWIW, I didn't just "pick" your post -- so please get off your high horse. Thanks.

Also, I'd say many PS members have an "obsession of sorts" with diamonds. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it's not negatively affecting anyone. Like someone said earlier, if she'd been given a 0.4 and wanted a 0.6 ct, then all would be okay, but since it's a 2 to a 3 ct, some are being weird about it... There's nothing wrong with wanting something, esp since she and her FI are on the same page and cool with it. That is all. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results