shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I buy a diamond with a unsatisfactory cut?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
n64bomb|1422030102|3820895 said:
I'm not buying from a jeweler. I am buying secondhand. So I am trying to see how much a jeweler would have to pay wholesale to buy that stone and/or how much and jeweler would pay to buy that stone secondhand to see where I should land at in negotiation.
I'm not an expert on the second hand market but I have been around long enough to know that most jewelers buying from the public pay as little as they can get away with. It is a shame that such is the prevailing ethic. A fairly priced second hand market for diamonds would do wonders for the the jewelry business. Efforts are being made by influential people in the industry to bring that about. And there are many ethical jewelers who do pay strong prices.

My guess is that the median price paid today by jewelers buying from the public for a stone like that is in the range you suggested: 50% -60% of rap.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your offer on the second hand market is fair. They can always come back with a counter or just say no if they aren't happy with the offer. Or, say yes if they think it's fair.
Are you willing to go up any?

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Jusy an fyi for anyone following this feed.

I went and kept my original stone. My girlfriend and I both loved it. It doesn't have the sparkle of an ideal stone, but my girlfriend told me it was the best thing anyone had ever gotten for her. I still maintain it is a ring for my pinky finger :liar:

I went to the jewelers to pick it up (he took the stone I had that was set in yellow gold and swapped the setting to a white gold solitaire setting and resized it cost me 100$), and he was telling me "why would you sell that stone. That stone is fine. The difference between an ideal cut and that stone with respect to light would only be recognizable to the aided eye (10x magnification))." So we kept the stone in a new setting of white gold. I guess if my girlfriend or I were a professional jeweler or I was planning to bust out a 10x loupe randomly to look at the stone under it to compare the light, that would have been a big deal. I asked him about the low score of hca. He said "what is that? Are you talking about tic." I guess Tolskowy cut index is very similar to hca. He laughed pretty hard. He said to be careful accepting advice from someone over the internet off pricescope who isn't an appraiser or jeweler (although some are). You have no knowledge of the other persons credentials. He told me he had nothing to gain from me buying that diamond from a third party at his store and his opinion was completely neutral. I guess I feel better than the diamond not being an ideal/super excellent cut isn't the end of the world.

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I do find my overall experience kind of strange, but for 2600$, I have an engagement ring that I think would appraise for 9,000$ (plus or minus 500$)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, that is sad you didn't get the ideal cut stone even at 70% of current value! Now that would have been a great deal!

Glad you are happy with what you got, though. But I have to tell you that you could have an appraisal that said $20k, but that doesn't mean the diamond is worth anything close to it just as it isn't worth $9k.

The closest comp I could find is a GIA excellent cut .84 G IF, so cut and size are better than the one you have. Credit card price is $5500. So yours would be definitely worth under $5k.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6452971-0.84-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-IF-Clarity.aspx?sku=6452971&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1422311187|3822381 said:
Oh gosh, that is sad you didn't get the ideal cut stone even at 70% of current value! Now that would have been a great deal!

Glad you are happy with what you got, though. But I have to tell you that you could have an appraisal that said $20k, but that doesn't mean the diamond is worth anything close to it just as it isn't worth $9k.

The closest comp I could find is a GIA excellent cut .84 G IF, so cut and size are better than the one you have. Credit card price is $5500. So yours would be definitely worth under $5k.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6452971-0.84-carat-Round-diamond-G-color-IF-Clarity.aspx?sku=6452971&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

Yes I know appraisal prices are inflated. I put my stone at 3750$ to buy from an online retailer and 150$ for the setting. Then I adjusted for them being together and an appraisal factor. I know that the stone isn't worth 9k, nor would I insure it for that. That is just an appraisal. :) But thanks anyways I guess. Same as my house is appraised at 111,000$ and is worth 137,000 equity wise. But this stone is quite heavily in the opposite direction. :)

I said my ring would appraise at 9K plus or minus 500$. The woman who I bought it from had it appraised in the ring and it came in at 8k, and that was 10 years ago. But yeah, I said it would appraise near 8500-9000$, not that it was worth 9k.

Good luck everyone :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1422311187|3822381 said:
Some people are strange... :wacko: came here for advise but don't listen... :wall: :rolleyes:

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I took the advice that was useful and used it to make a decision. Almost all of the advice posted on here wasn't very good or was something that I obviously already knew (I mean if I'm talking about the facetware and optical symmetry imaging of the diamond....I'm not a diamond beginner). People also made incorrect assumptions and weren't for the most part more knowledgeable than I already am on the topic already.Thanks again :)

But some people did contribute some actual useful information. I just don't agree with most pricescopers' viewpoints, whereby every person must buy a super ideal cut for every diamond....I highly question the actual knowledge of many of the posters. I think some people are just on this forum to perpetuate sales for a business. Anyways, the lack of knowledge, specifically when compared to my local jeweler/appraiser and 2 other appraisers was astounding to the point where I no longer trust anything I see on pricescope without first evaluating the poster's credentials.

Everyone enjoy :tongue:

Thanks for the advice.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
n64bomb|1422491108|3823524 said:
But some people did contribute some actual useful information. I just don't agree with most pricescopers' viewpoints, whereby every person must buy a super ideal cut for every diamond....I highly question the actual knowledge of many of the posters. I think some people are just on this forum to perpetuate sales for a business. Anyways, the lack of knowledge, specifically when compared to my local jeweler/appraiser and 2 other appraisers was astounding to the point where I no longer trust anything I see on pricescope without first evaluating the poster's credentials.

Thanks for the advice.
Some of the members here are more knowledgeable about diamonds than your jeweler/appraiser combine.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
n64bomb|1422491108|3823524 said:
I took the advice that was useful and used it to make a decision. Almost all of the advice posted on here wasn't very good or was something that I obviously already knew (I mean if I'm talking about the facetware and optical symmetry imaging of the diamond....I'm not a diamond beginner). People also made incorrect assumptions and weren't for the most part more knowledgeable than I already am on the topic already.Thanks again :)

Thanks for the advice.

Couldn't flip your diamond? Buyers remorse and sour grapes is a difficult combination at best. :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results