shape
carat
color
clarity

Did I buy a diamond with a unsatisfactory cut?

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi psers, I have recently moved into buying an e-ring for my girlfriend.

I bought a stone and would like some advice on whether or not it is good enough or I should resell it.The diamond is a 1980 graded EGL New York stone. I bought the stone in a setting mounted in a solitaire of 14k yellow gold. I paid 2500$ total secondary market for the ring and stone, so 2450 for the stone if I wanted to sell the ring (assuming 80% of scrap value on the gold weigh). My only concern is the cut. Cut scores 7+ on hca. I liked the stone, and I let my girlfriend see it and she liked the sparkle. I'm just wondering if the cut is really that much of a detriment Here are the specs.

Round brilliant cut 58 facets, 0.75 carat, internally flawless
Color: 1 (G)
Approx. Max 5.95 Min 5.90 x 3.58mm.
Table 62.0
Depth 60.4
Proportions: V. Good
Crown height 12% (11.5-12.49%)
Crown angle 32.3 (31.2-33.3)
Pavilion depth 45% (44.5-45.49)
Pavilion angle 42.0 (41.7-42.2)
Lower half 70%
Star % 55
Girdle min/max thin/thin
Girdle thickness 2.5%
Girdle thickness: thin, faceted
Finish grade: good
Polish: good
Symmetry: good
Painting/digging: negligible
Fluorescence: none
Culet: none

I ran it through facetware and it approximated a gia very good cut grade. I also looked at gia's chart grading and it looks like this cut would fall as a very good. I'm just worried with the table being huge and the crown/pavilion not that great that the diamond is losing a lot of light. Also crown/pavilion angles are not awesome, and depth relative to height not too hot either.

I met the third party at a jewlers. The jewler confirmed the stone. He said is was legit, as EGL used to have a better reputation before 2003 when EGL wasnt making enough money from their 3 first labs so they opened other labs, such as the Israel lab, which has now evaporated any reputation/sway they used to have. He told me report has 3 signatures, back when EGL used to have 3 appraisers look at the stone, and he told me that the rap for the stone was 6800/carat, so would be 5100 for this stone. He had previously offered the woman 2500, but subsuquently offered the lady 2800-3000, but the lady and I had previously agreed on 2500 so she accepted that price (she wanted to find someone to buy the ring to use rather than sell to a dealer).

Is this stone worth it with a hca like that? I like the stone and my girlfriend. It falls under a very good cut if it was gia graded....albeit a very good cut that doesnt have the best brilliance, fire, sparkle, scintillation, and/or all of terms related to sparkle. Please keep in mind I noted where rounding could occur with pavilion depth and crown depth, as that is the info I was provided, so thus the pavilion angle and crown angle, which I calculated, could be also within a range. I indicated all ranges in parenthesis.

_26298.jpg

Attachments

• booklet_cut_estimation_tables_lowres.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 28

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen a lot of diamonds? Have you compared this to other 3Ex GIA diamonds? For me, I know I'd never be happy with the poor cut performance of this diamond. I suppose the sale is final?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Did I buy a diamond with a unsatisfactory cut?"

Yes, yes you did.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
N64,
You seem to be knowledgeable about cut quality so you probably anticipated the kind of advice you will be getting here. While "on paper" this diamond seems to the uninitiated to be a "deal", in terms of performance you can do much much better. So you have to decide whether a major compromise on light performance is an acceptable strategy for your lifetime ring.

You are much better off dropping down a few clarity grades and paying a little more money for a precision cut diamond. In the longrun you won't have regrets.

Since you are also familiar with the second hand market, you can probably sell this one and recoup most or all of your money.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you get the angles? From a Sarin? Have pictures of stone?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
:boohoo: my heart bleeds for the poorly cut stone....you get what you pay for EGL is 4-6 grades lower .....IF I'd love to see it under 10x.....and you want a 3x stone very good is okay in horseshoes not diaond cut.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for everyone's opinions so far. I'll repost probably tomorrow with a picture when I get the stone back!

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
heididdl|1421957397|3820545 said:
:boohoo: my heart bleeds for the poorly cut stone....you get what you pay for EGL is 4-6 grades lower .....IF I'd love to see it under 10x.....and you want a 3x stone very good is okay in horseshoes not diaond cut.

With all due respect, I don't agree with your opinions. 1)arbitrary dismissal of an egl cert 2) denoting a larger difference than is visible from a VG/VG/VG to EX/Ex/Ex.

3 people originally saw the stone to grade it. I had the jeweler who is also an appraiser look at it before my third party purchase. He could not find any inclusions and called it G color and IF and said was legit. Two other appraisers and jewelers independently called it a G and could not find any inclusions. I'll stay with thinking it is a G and IF. 4-6 grades off would be akin to an EGL international certification, or EGL Israel. Some EGL certs are good deals....you just have to find the legit ones! I'll take 3 professional graders' opinions (one of which my local jeweler said he actually personally knew when he saw the signature) and 3 independent appraisers opinions all saying it was G IF over someones random bashing of EGL on pricescope. I also find in kind of ironic someone saying 3ex is essentially required and 3 very goods is not very good (especially on a secondary market stone....HINT HINT you can't pick and choose every feature on a secondary market stone). The difference between very good and excellent for both polish and symmetry are very, very subtle. And I'm buying a stone secondhand relative to the actual price it is worth. I can't just make a very good cut secondhand stone become an excellent cut. Many excellent cut stones have light performance more like a very good cut, and same with ideal versus excellent. I'll see tomorrow when I look at the stone again. If the light performance is a big deal, I'll sell it to the jeweler for 2800-3000 (what he was offering before). But yeah, it looks like I have a stone that might barely qualify as a very good cut, but more like good light performance :( . I'm going to see visibly how my girlfriend and I feel about the light performance when we look at the stone tomorrow together, then make a decision.

Anyways. Can anyone comment on an EGL cert from 1980 from EGL New York? From what I have been told from 2 jewelers, at that time they were as well respected as GIA and their reports were spot on. My cert was from 1980. Has anyone experienced this in practice where the first couple of EGL labs (Antwerp, New York) back when they were newer labs (such as 1980s) were respected as well as gia and as accurate with grading?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a jeweler offered you $2800 sell it to him, b/c this is a poorly cut stone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="n64bomb| I can't just make a very good cut secondhand stone become an excellent cut. Many excellent cut stones have light performance more like a very good cut, and same with ideal versus excellent. I'll see tomorrow when I look at the stone again. If the light performance is a big deal, I'll sell it to the jeweler for 2800-3000 (what he was offering before). But yeah, it looks like I have a stone that might barely qualify as a very good cut, but more like good light performance :( . I'm going to see visibly how my girlfriend and I feel about the light performance when we look at the stone tomorrow together, then make a decision.

[/quote]

Sure you can. you can have it recut into ideal proportions, but will it be worth re-cutting?

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
n64bomb|1421970056|3820639 said:
If the light performance is a big deal, I'll sell it to the jeweler for 2800-3000 (what he was offering before). But yeah, it looks like I have a stone that might barely qualify as a very good cut, but more like good light performance :( . I'm going to see visibly how my girlfriend and I feel about the light performance when we look at the stone tomorrow together, then make a decision.

Take the $3000! Take even $2800. Put that money into a stone with a better cut.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Define an unsatisfactory cut?

You've purchased a stone on the secondary market. Nothing wrong with that. You've had three professionals give their assessment on that stone and they have corroborated what you've purchased. Even better. Isn't that what you wanted? Validation of what you've purchased in terms of color and clarity?

Sorry, I am confused. What information are you looking for?

cheers--Sharon

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So they'll give you more than you paid for it?

sweet_jane

Rough_Rock
Hi n64bomb.

As to whether or not the diamond is "good enough" it really is up to you and the person it is intended. You stated previously that you liked the stone and your girlfriend liked it, too. If you are both in agreement, why worry about the specs? Everyone has a preference as to what they like and there really isn't a "one size fits all" mathematical equation for the perfect stone. Preferences here run the gamut and not everyone has the same opinion of what is appealing. If you are looking for advice from others as to their opinion based on the report and specs alone, PSer's that have responded have done that - given you their opinion.

You have brought up the issue of certificates and the difference between EGL and GIA or AGS and this is a completely different issue. The vast majority of people (especially here on Pricescope) want the certainty of the report they receive on a diamond to come from a reliable and trusted source. This past year a lot has occurred in the diamond industry regarding the grading of EGL diamonds and their "soft" grading of diamonds. It is not to say that there aren't stones in existence that are well graded EGL certified stones, but EGL's grading practices and tarnished reputation make it difficult for consumers and educated buyers to willingly take the risk.

If you do decide to keep the diamond and you believe that it is of the quality described on the EGL report and verified by the appraisers, you may want to consider sending it to GIA for certification. For $100-$200, you will have a certificate that will be bonafide and unquestionable, and got a diamond you both like for a fair price. If you decide you don't wish to keep it, you made a few hundred bucks. Sounds like you win either way. :appl:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sweet_jane|1421973062|3820663 said:
Hi n64bomb.

As to whether or not the diamond is "good enough" it really is up to you and the person it is intended. You stated previously that you liked the stone and your girlfriend liked it, too. If you are both in agreement, why worry about the specs? Everyone has a preference as to what they like and there really isn't a "one size fits all" mathematical equation for the perfect stone. Preferences here run the gamut and not everyone has the same opinion of what is appealing. If you are looking for advice from others as to their opinion based on the report and specs alone, PSer's that have responded have done that - given you their opinion.

The reason to worry about the specs is to know if he got fair market value. Or, well, fair second hand market value if its second hand

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

With all due respect, I don't agree with your opinions. 1)arbitrary dismissal of an egl cert 2) denoting a larger difference than is visible from a VG/VG/VG to EX/Ex/Ex.

3 people originally saw the stone to grade it. I had the jeweler who is also an appraiser look at it before my third party purchase. He could not find any inclusions and called it G color and IF and said was legit. Two other appraisers and jewelers independently called it a G and could not find any inclusions. I'll stay with thinking it is a G and IF. 4-6 grades off would be akin to an EGL international certification, or EGL Israel. Some EGL certs are good deals....you just have to find the legit ones! I'll take 3 professional graders' opinions (one of which my local jeweler said he actually personally knew when he saw the signature) and 3 independent appraisers opinions all saying it was G IF over someones random bashing of EGL on pricescope. I also find in kind of ironic someone saying 3ex is essentially required and 3 very goods is not very good (especially on a secondary market stone....HINT HINT you can't pick and choose every feature on a secondary market stone). The difference between very good and excellent for both polish and symmetry are very, very subtle. And I'm buying a stone secondhand relative to the actual price it is worth. I can't just make a very good cut secondhand stone become an excellent cut. Many excellent cut stones have light performance more like a very good cut, and same with ideal versus excellent. I'll see tomorrow when I look at the stone again. If the light performance is a big deal, I'll sell it to the jeweler for 2800-3000 (what he was offering before). But yeah, it looks like I have a stone that might barely qualify as a very good cut, but more like good light performance :( . I'm going to see visibly how my girlfriend and I feel about the light performance when we look at the stone tomorrow together, then make a decision.

Anyways. Can anyone comment on an EGL cert from 1980 from EGL New York? From what I have been told from 2 jewelers, at that time they were as well respected as GIA and their reports were spot on. My cert was from 1980. Has anyone experienced this in practice where the first couple of EGL labs (Antwerp, New York) back when they were newer labs (such as 1980s) were respected as well as gia and as accurate with grading?
You make some good points and it is obvious that you are doing some due dilligence. But it aslo seems like you are trying to convince yourself. You started off by saying you were "concerned about the cut" and asking "it is good enough" or should you sell it and find a better one, and if the cut quality was "really much of a detriment". If you wanted candid advice intended to be helpful then you came to the right place. If what you really want is someone to tell you what you want to hear, well that's not really what this forum is about.

In answer to you question about EGL in 1980 I can say a couple of things. That was about the time the diamond market and D IF diamonds in particular were soaring irrationally. Other IF stones were probably experiencing a strong coattail effect. So the good news is your purchase price is probably much less than it would have been in 1980 for an IF stone.

But the thing to bear in mind is there was some reason this stone was not sent to GIA (or the merchant elected to sell it with EGL paper). Yes EGL is a loose network of labs, some of which have always done good work. But they have ALWAYS been a second tier lab.

I would also say that you will have a hard time convincing many people around here that a stone with those specs is almost as good as a top cut. That doesn't mean that this diamond won't sparkle under certain lights, I'm sure it will. But it will also show its weakness under lighting conditions that you will encounter daily in the real world. If you can, while you are viewing it, compare it to an ideal cut of similar size and color with at least VS clarity and try to look at them side by side in a variety of lights. If you still think the EGL stone performs satisfactorily, then you will have your answer.

In the end, almost everyone makes compromises on one or more of the 5 Cs' (cost being #5). People knowledgeable about diamonds and light performance will advise you go easy with compromises on cut quality. There are usually better tradeoffs to be made.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have no issues with EGL-USA and found that it isn't too far off. Plus, you validated color and clarity independently so it is a non-issue. You paid probably around 60% ish of what the stone is worth from retail brand new. The cut is not top notch but it seems satisfactory to your gf as you mentioned she liked the sparkle. Is it satisfactory to me - maybe not - but I am not the one wearing it. If your question is whether or not your diamond is what we would consider well cut .. you got your answer ... "no".

If I was purchasing, I would go for larger size and lower clarity. I would also probably go for an old cut as well. But that's me :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1421976146|3820685 said:

You make some good points and it is obvious that you are doing some due dilligence. But it aslo seems like you are trying to convince yourself. You started off by saying you were "concerned about the cut" and asking "it is good enough" or should you sell it and find a better one, and if the cut quality was "really much of a detriment". If you wanted candid advice intended to be helpful then you came to the right place. If what you really want is someone to tell you what you want to hear, well that's not really what this forum is about.

In answer to you question about EGL in 1980 I can say a couple of things. That was about the time the diamond market and D IF diamonds in particular were soaring irrationally. Other IF stones were probably experiencing a strong coattail effect. So the good news is your purchase price is probably much less than it would have been in 1980 for an IF stone.

But the thing to bear in mind is there was some reason this stone was not sent to GIA (or the merchant elected to sell it with EGL paper). Yes EGL is a loose network of labs, some of which have always done good work. But they have ALWAYS been a second tier lab.

I would also say that you will have a hard time convincing many people around here that a stone with those specs is almost as good as a top cut. That doesn't mean that this diamond won't sparkle under certain lights, I'm sure it will. But it will also show its weakness under lighting conditions that you will encounter daily in the real world. If you can, while you are viewing it, compare it to an ideal cut of similar size and color with at least VS clarity and try to look at them side by side in a variety of lights. If you still think the EGL stone performs satisfactorily, then you will have your answer.

In the end, almost everyone makes compromises on one or more of the 5 Cs' (cost being #5). People knowledgeable about diamonds and light performance will advise you go easy with compromises on cut quality. There are usually better tradeoffs to be made.

100% agree!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I estimated what I thought the cutlet % would be and I think your diamond scores a 7.4 on the HCA which is a rejection tool we used based upon cut. The stone is not an ordinary cut it's an abysmal cut. Table you could drive a bus through. I'm also wondering who you got to appraise the stone because if it was someone who works for the people who sold it to you of course they are going to tell you its the same grade as the certificate. A lot of other appraisers will not rock the boat either and will happily just agree with the certificate so unless it was someone who came from the drop down list above I am skeptical that it isn't one or two grades lower than everyone is claiming.

Lots of people own diamonds that are not perfect or would prefer bargains. There are no such things as bargains when you are buying a diamond, but only you know what you can and can't live with. I also make the observation that in this case buying an IF stone or a near to IF stone is pointless. Cut is what gives a stone the fire and sparkle not clarity. What this means in laymen's terms is I could go out and purchase a GIA graded stone with a much lower clarity that was eye clean and a slightly lower colour and it's going to have more fire and sparkle over a range of different lighting situations than this stone.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From someone who bought an EGL prior to finding and studying this website Once you know what an ideal diamond looks like compared to a poorly cut diamond it will make you crazy not to have the best your money can buy. She's hopefully going to wear it a long time and maybe even pass it down.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I moved on to a different stone. I'm just going to sell the other one back to a jeweler. Thanks for all the info everyone. I decided to go another way.

This is the stone i'm looking at now. It is secondhand in a white gold solitaire setting. PS I intentionally didn't include the AGS certificate number. It is a 1.216 RBC with AGS cert VS2 I color and Ideal cut. Hca around 1.2. I have no problem with an I color graded AGS stone if the cut is ideal. It will face up white. It will be set in a white gold 14k solitaire 6 prong tiffany style setting. I offered the seller 52% of rap plus 50$ for the gold in his 14k white gold solitaire setting. I also factored in the 50$ shipping/insurance I would have to pay as well as 40$ish to have the ring resized once I receive it. The transaction is done via escrow through a reputable company through a certified gemologist.

I offered him 4236$ for the stone alone or 4286$ for the stone and setting. (I also will have to pay around 90 for shipping/insurance on shipping/ring resizing down). Is that an appropriate offer, or should I be looking to offer more like 4700$ for this type of stone secondhand? PS the most recent rappaport I had for a VS2 I at 1 carat was 6900/carat, but that was from april 2014. Not sure how much the price has changed since then, so I used 6700/carat just to be safe. (6700/carat x 1.216 carats x.52) + (50$ for gold value in ring)

AGS#: xxxxxxxxxxx
Report Type: Diamond Quality™ Document
Shape and Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.87 - 6.90 x 4.22 mm
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 2.5 (I)
Clarity Grade: AGS 4 (VS2)
Carat Weight 1.216
Fluorescence: Negligible
Comments:
"xxxxxxxxx" is present on the table facet of this diamond.
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Table: 55.5%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Crown Height: 15.1%
Girdle: Faceted, 0.9% to 3.4%
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion Depth: 43.1%
Star Length: 60%
Lower Girdle Length: 77%
Total Depth: 61.2%
Culet: Pointed

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
Mayk|1422012980|3820815 said:
From someone who bought an EGL prior to finding and studying this website Once you know what an ideal diamond looks like compared to a poorly cut diamond it will make you crazy not to have the best your money can buy. She's hopefully going to wear it a long time and maybe even pass it down.

I knew about this site and knew about how to calculate pavilion and crown angles from those depths (and their ranges) well before buying this stone. I also knew about EGL's reputation and the limitations of an EGL report.I knew the hca, just liked the stone and proceeded. Be careful assuming when you don't know the knowledge level of the person you are assuming about

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
n64bomb|1422028107|3820871 said:
I moved on to a different stone. I'm just going to sell the other one back to a jeweler. Thanks for all the info everyone. I decided to go another way.

This is the stone i'm looking at now. It is secondhand in a white gold solitaire setting. PS I intentionally didn't include the AGS certificate number. It is a 1.216 RBC with AGS cert VS2 I color and Ideal cut. Hca around 1.2. I have no problem with an I color graded AGS stone if the cut is ideal. It will face up white. It will be set in a white gold 14k solitaire 6 prong tiffany style setting. I offered the seller 52% of rap plus 50$ for the gold in his 14k white gold solitaire setting. I also factored in the 50$ shipping/insurance I would have to pay as well as 40$ish to have the ring resized once I receive it. The transaction is done via escrow through a reputable company through a certified gemologist.

I offered him 4236$ for the stone alone or 4286$ for the stone and setting. (I also will have to pay around 90 for shipping/insurance on shipping/ring resizing down). Is that an appropriate offer, or should I be looking to offer more like 4700$ for this type of stone secondhand? PS the most recent rappaport I had for a VS2 I at 1 carat was 6900/carat, but that was from april 2014. Not sure how much the price has changed since then, so I used 6700/carat just to be safe. (6700/carat x 1.216 carats x.52) + (50$ for gold value in ring)

Carat Weight 1.216
Comments:

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but what information about this stone do you want?

cheers--Sahron

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
n64bomb|1422028107|3820871 said:

Carat Weight 1.216
Comments:
Good move. You will be a whole lot happier with this stone in the long run. And it does not appear that you need much help negotiating in the second hand market. Best of luck!

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm wondering what a jeweler would offer secondhand for this stone. Or what would be normal to offer secondhand for this type of stone. 50% of rap. 55% of rap. 60% of rap?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
n64bomb|1422029113|3820884 said:
I'm wondering what a jeweler would offer secondhand for this stone. Or what would be normal to offer secondhand for this type of stone. 50% of rap. 55% of rap. 60% of rap?
Highly variable. But I think its fair to say you are in the range.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why would the jeweller take a reduction in price?

cheers--Sharon

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1422029496|3820890 said:

Why would the jeweller take a reduction in price?

cheers--Sharon
I think he is trying to understand what the jeweler likely paid from the street, so that he can determine if his offer is appropriate.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm not buying from a jeweler. I am buying secondhand. So I am trying to see how much a jeweler would have to pay wholesale to buy that stone and/or how much and jeweler would pay to buy that stone secondhand to see where I should land at in negotiation.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on if the stone is damaged or not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results