shape
carat
color
clarity

Mangagement rings

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Spin-off from Nala's thread about men and wedding bands. Let's talk mangagement rings. Did your FI wear one? Would your husband have worn one?

My FI wears his wedding band as a mangagement ring. I suggested it, and he readily embraced the idea. After all, why should I be the only one wearing a sign of the fact that I'm off the market? :naughty: He loves his Tacori band, and appreciates the fact it came with a stainless steel band he can wear when he's working around the house, working out, etc. He likes having a ring on his finger as much as I do.

So, mangagement rings. Your thoughts?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does a mangagement ring look? Is it like a regular wedding band? I never heard of such a thing.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the guy. Mine wears a regular wedding band, and he will continue to wear it after we marry as his wedding band. Maybe some men would want two different rings.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1421511649|3818022 said:
How does a mangagement ring look? Is it like a regular wedding band? I never heard of such a thing.

Does she mean engagement ring? I'm thinking it's an autocorrect issue.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
lioness|1421515320|3818057 said:
ponder|1421514952|3818052 said:
baby monster|1421511649|3818022 said:

Does she mean engagement ring? I'm thinking it's an autocorrect issue.

No. Mangagement ring. That's what I've seen it called. Engagement ring worn by a man.

http://jezebel.com/eight-reasons-why-the-mangagement-ring-should-totally-1524567911

Ok, I get. Silly trendy name for a not so new idea. I think wearing the wedding band at the start of the engagement is not unusual in some areas of the world. Will it take off in the US, probably not.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
I know a handful of men (all Wall St attorneys, interestingly enough) who either wore their wedding bands after they proposed or a mangagement ring that was replaced with a band once they got married. Could be the start of a cultural shift.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a silly name for a not so new idea! The name really puts me off. It sounds controlling.

My husband wore an engagement ring throughout our engagement over 10 years ago. He hasn't worn it in years though, and normally wears his wedding ring if we're going out. No way could he fit both on the same finger - much too wide!!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whatever you call it, it's made its way to the comics. From today's funny pages:

screen_shot_2015-01-18_at_10.png

And it looks great on him!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1421651043|3818759 said:

:bigsmile: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We put entirely too much emphasis on the outward appearance of being engaged now. Why add to that?

This is a silly thing that jewelry manufacturers are hoping silly people will buy into. Literally.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Mangagement ring :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever floats your boat I guess.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be new to this culture but it's not necessarily a new thing. Both of my parents started wearing their band when they got engaged, and the bands are engraved with their engagement date (over sixty years ago, in Europe).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Men should wear or not wear a ring if they like.

Now can I rant? The "manwhatever" nomenclature drives me crazy: mangagement ring, manpurse, man-skirt, manscaping or mantyhose (the horror, the horror!). Does merely adding man as a prefix make it manly?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I want to know is -WHEN DID LIONESS GET ENGAGED!!!!!!! What? How did I miss this?!!!! :dance: :dance:
Congratulations!!!!!!! I hope your are supremely, over the top, crazy good happy!

My DH doesn't wear his ring at work, but puts it on almost as soon as he gets home every day. It would present a hazard to him at work.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle|1421782664|3819409 said:
What I want to know is -WHEN DID LIONESS GET ENGAGED!!!!!!! What? How did I miss this?!!!! :dance: :dance:
Congratulations!!!!!!! I hope your are supremely, over the top, crazy good happy!

Surprise!!!!!! Thank you so much, Luv. I posted a thread about the ring a while back. A ruby. :D

And, if you think that the news has only made my ex more irrational, delusional, violent, demented and insane, you are absolutely right.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1421647807|3818752 said:
Whatever you call it, it's made its way to the comics. From today's funny pages:

screen_shot_2015-01-18_at_10.png

And it looks great on him!

Love it!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lioness, I will go back and look for your thread! I don't know how I missed it!!!

MisterMadelise

Shiny_Rock
I'd wear one. If she's proposing.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
It took me until the end of the first page to realize it was "mangagement" and not "management." I was so confused.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love the concept, hate the neologism - we can just call it *his* engagement ring, no need to perform some weird linguistic masculinization!

(On a grammar geek side note: it is very interesting to me that our defaults are so thoroughly preset that though we can feminize most things with suffixes - poetess, actress, stewardess - it's impossible to do in reverse, giving us the awkward portmanteau words like mangagement ring. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled programming!)

My husband wore an engagement band, and so did I: he's a Swede and their tradition is that couples wear matching plain bands until the ceremony, at which point the lady usually gets an additional sparkly band. He bought me my engagement ring/solitaire first, and then I made us a matching set of braided bands. We both set them aside after the ceremony, as keepsakes, once our wedding bands proper were on our fingers.

I'd love to see a tradition like that catch in more broadly! As you say, why should only one part of the couple be performing being "taken" ... nice if both members of the couple have some tangible sign of their commitment!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
amc80 said:
It took me until the end of the first page to realize it was "mangagement" and not "management." I was so confused.

Me too! I guess it's the auto correct in our brains.

Lady_Disdain said:
Men should wear or not wear a ring if they like.

Now can I rant? The "manwhatever" nomenclature drives me crazy: mangagement ring, manpurse, man-skirt, manscaping or mantyhose (the horror, the horror!). Does merely adding man as a prefix make it manly?

I agree, no need to invent new words... Have you heard of "man spreading"? Another neologism. http://gawker.com/from-the-comments-on-the-new-york-times-story-about-ma-1673615641

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock
Mmm, I don't know if I would have worn one as I was not presented with such an item. However, I will say people would just make the assumption that I am married had I worn one as it is not common to have man wear an engagement ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results