shape
carat
color
clarity

After you kick the bucket...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
will your daughter(s) or DIL(s) fight over your jewelry collection?

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I hope not. I have two very young daughters and a son. If I live to a ripe old age I plan on talking with them as a group as to who gets what so that there are no surprises. I also will probably start giving them some of my pieces that I don't wear as much as I get older.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping to have the chance to sell everything or give them away before I die, to friends, family and charities, as I am childless.

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Dil won't get anything lol.

I just see too many people get divorced. Now of course my son isn't born yet, so maybe I'll change my mind if he gets married and is married for 30 years before I die.

As for my daughter or granddaughters, I'll try and gauge if any of them care about jewelry, otherwise they'll go strait to my DD

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I only have one daughter, so there's no one to fight with. I don't have a DIL (yet), but I can't imagine having any sort of relationship with one that encourages adding her to my will :lol: I mean, I am very close to my MIL, but I don't have expectations of inheriting her things when she already has two daughters….

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will pass them down to my sons before I kick the bucket so that they can pick pieces that like and can reset and enjoy. As mentioned above, as much as I love my MIL, I don't expect a thing from her, so I don't think I will be passing anything down to my DIL(s). I don't see why only daughters get to inherit jewellry; isn't this unfair? :devil: :bigsmile: I'd rather donate my jewellery to a museum than pass it down to a non-jewellery loving relative who doesn't appreciate such things and would rather sell it or end up damaging it because they think gems are indestructible.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I'm taking it with me. :lol:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
It is easy for me since I have only 1 DD. My sister has 3 sons and has decided to give them to her granddaughters. Her DIL's mother will most likely give her gems to her daughters.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1421829834|3819720 said:
will your daughter(s) or DIL(s) fight over your jewelry collection?
No because I won't have any kids to worry about. I have an idea of who I will leave my items to, though.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no children but have nieces and nephews. I want my jewelry to go to someone who loves jewelry. If one of my nephews married someone I cared for, I would have no problem with leaving jewelry to his wife. I don't think my nieces would be really happy about it though. The girls make sure I know what their favorite pieces are.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope! We are DINK couple,but who knows what will happen down the line (we've been married less than a year). But if not, some of it may go to family or animal charities.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do what my grandmother did and buy/have pieces made with specific people in mind, then later engraved with their names. I will likely never own much heirloom worthy stuff though.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewelry will be passed down to the boys or future grandchildren as part of my estate.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1421861784|3819919 said:

Very funny!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No kids so I don't know what will happen with my jewelry collection.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1421886930|3820157 said:
No kids so I don't know what will happen with my jewelry collection.
Thanks, Cf!... :naughty:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I asked my kids tonight, and my son (12) and daughter (10) said unanimously that it should go to my daughter. When I asked them why, he said he'll buy his wife diamonds. My daughter just said they're hers because she is my daughter, if I give it to my son, he'll give it away to his wife.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I have two children, both girls. When they are adults I will discuss with them if they are interested in jewelry, and more specifically my jewelry. If they are, the girls and I will work on dividing the pieces up between them. If they are not interested, I will probably leave one or two pieces to each of them as something to remember me by, though I am not sure what I would do with my other pieces.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I have twin boys. I would love another set, but DH is "done" :rolleyes:

After I am gone, I definitely want my diamonds to stay in the family. I would prefer that the diamonds go to my granddaughters if they have any.

As far as DIL's are concerned, my goal is to have diamond bands made for their future wives - while I am alive. I have one band already and hopefully have the other made within the next few years. I will figure out how to help the boys out with the e-ring's for their wives once I rejoin the workforce.

Edited to add the word "concerned"

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter will get everything. If she wants to share with DIL's or future granddaughters, she can. I have quite a bit of yellow gold, which she doesn't wear, so it's a possibility. She is a little too anxious though, I have to say.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
CRYSTAL24K|1421935776|3820331 said:

After I am gone, I definitely want my diamonds to stay in the family. I would prefer that the diamonds go to my granddaughters if they have any.

Ditto to the twin boys.

Definitely no ditto to the wanting another set. I'm waaaay done! :wacko:

And ditto to the hoping my special pieces of jewelry stay in the family with granddaughters.

If there are no granddaughters then I have no idea. Hopefully there is a niece or somebody at that point who would appreciate them. With DiLs I think it would really depend on my relationship with them, length of marriage etc. The diamond band idea is a really good one!

I thought it might be nice to have equal diamonds or CS (like a pair of studs that could be split up) to give one to each of my boys to do with as they please someday, either as a piece of jewelry for themselves or to give to a partner.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My life didn't include kids for one reason and another, and I'm past that age now, so my two nieces will fall upon my collection with the delight of two labradors devouring a bunch of juicy steaks! :D

I also have a nephew and will leave him some things for his wife/daughters/grand-daughters.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1421861784|3819919 said:

Hahahahahaaaa! Didn't ancient Egyptian princesses get buried with their jewelry, or something? If they dig you up in two thousand years, they'll think you were foreign royalty!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRYSTAL24K|1421935776|3820331 said:

Edited to add the word "concerned"

But imagine if the next set were boys, too. Or if you had triplet boys. Plus your husband....I mean, there'd be boys EVERYWHERE! You'd be forever falling into the loo! :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a plan: to sell most my stuff in the next 15 years. Keep a few branded items and my yellow sapphire earrings. :lol: Give my Rolex to my son. The if and when my son gets married thingie boggles my mind so all I can say is let her get her own loot!

cheers--Sharon

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My son and daughter will share/split my jewels. I want them kept in the family--to go to grand and great grand children. I don't think inherited family treasures are gender specific. Even though it's likely that a female would wear them, it doesn't mean my son wouldn't want something of his mother's to pass down to his heirs.

I would be thrilled to have a piece of jewelry from my great great grandmothers' or great great grandfathers' side of the family and not so I could wear it or sell it---but so I could have a piece of family history. I think my son would appreciate the historical value as much as my daughter would.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son's daughter (if he has one) and my daughter. I would not give it to my DIL. No offense. I would rather my daughter have itl

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, a digression. My mother was of the opinion that everything goes to me since I'm the only daughter. I will get my mother's 2 ct diamond; I could have it now but I'm just not ready to claim it yet. It was a gift from my paternal grandmother - her mother-in-law - who was following Chinese tradition, even though my mother was Caucasian. Since she had married into the family she was considered a part of the my father's family, and as such was the eldest daughter. So the diamond from my grandmother's engagement ring went to my mother rather than to one of my father's three sisters. My father also has four heirloom colored gemstone rings that belonged to his father and grandfather that my mother wore at various times, mostly before she received the diamond about 25 years into her marriage. The rings are fairly unisex in style. My father wants to give them to me (the eldest daughter no matter how you look at it) but I'm working on him to give one to each of my three brothers and to get one sized so he can wear it - that one would pass down to me. I know which one I'm hoping he'll keep for himself :wink2: but so far he has yet to buy into this plan.

As for my jewelry - it depends. Right now the few really good pieces I have will go to my sisters-in-law. My brothers have all been married more than 25 years so they (my SILs) have earned them and in any event I rather suspect the pieces will stay with the family and be passed down to either my niece or my nephews' (future) wives, or to the next generation. But really I'm only concerned about the heirloom pieces staying in the family somehow. I'd be perfectly happy if the jewelry that I've purchased for myself goes on to someone else who will enjoy it or reconfigure it, whether or not it's passed down the family bloodline.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I kick it, I'm hoping to leave an itemized list behind ticking off values and preferred recipients. If they want to trade amongst themselves, great ... and if one of them is Just Not a Jewelry Person, hopefully there'll be enough in the way of cash for a family member who loves bling (please let there be one, or it's just too ironic!) can buy him or her out.

I see what a lot of you guys are saying about not leaving things to DIL's, considering divorce, and I'm not 100% clear on the legality ... but isn't inheritance considered shared marital property barring a very specific pre-nup? I mean, I'm assuming you're not cutting boys out of your wills entirely, and will leave them an equal alternative inheritance (daughter gets the bling so son gets the rare books, or whatever), so isn't the DIL likely to get half in a worst case scenario anyway? Not disagreeing with your logic, just curious if I'm missing something!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine this will be a sore subject at some point in the future as I hope to accumulate a nice collection. I'll give pieces to the family member who will appreciate them.

I'm still sore that I didn't get my grandmother's earrings. They were spectacular. 19th century. Large rubies in the center surrounded by old cut diamonds. Even as a little girl I loved them. My father's sister got them and basically pissed them away. Lost one and then sold one for scrap. My father was so upset. He would've bought them for me if he knew she was going to do that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results