shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed for super reactive and sensitive skin...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Akvileja said:
missy said:
Also, while going through the huge number of full bottles of new products I have accumulated over the last few months I realized I had bought La Roche Posay Toleraine Cleanser and just looked it up in Paula's Choice:
http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/la-roche-posay/Toleriane/_/Toleriane-Dermo-Cleanser

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/product-reviews/my-dry-sensitive-skin-says-oui-to-la-roche-posay-toleriane-dermo-cleanser/

However as with every single product I have researched there are mixed reviews.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=3/pagesize=10/ItemID=29194/SortBy=helpful/AgeRange=0/SkinToneType=2/

Since Paula rates it highly and I have a new full bottle I might give that a try today. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this cleanser? Thanks.

I have sensitive and dry skin. A few years ago I also had perioral dermatitis that thankfully got under control using Finacea. My skin on my face only tolerates very gentle products and absolutely no fragrance. Even some fragrance free products have ingredients that have a strong smell and that irritates my skin and makes it red. But you seem to have a more sensitive skin than I do.

I use this La Roche Posay Toleraine Cleanser and it works for me. It does its job to clean my face, and it doesn't irritate my skin.

For moisturisers my magical ingredient is urea. I only use face creams, body lotions, hand creams and foot balms with urea. If you are really dry, the urea will burn at first. I usually find the creams at the pharmacy. I'm not in the US so I don't have products to recommend.

My skin cannot tolerate the skin care routines that often are recommended. I clean my face in the evening and moisturise. In the morning I only use water and then moisturise. Cleaning more frequently is too much for my face. More products with active ingredients such as serums and toners is also too much. I do exfoliate, but not very often.

I read a post on "the other forum", the one about purses, about allergens in cosmetics and how the poster reacted to ingredients in skin care products where the ingredients were made from plants she was allergic to. And it was not very obvious in the list of ingredients what they were produced from. If you have allergies, you might want to look more into that. I'm sure you can find the post if you want to read her experiences.

Hi Akvileja, thanks for posting and sharing what works for you. I think I might have some of those same issues. I am trying to cleanse with water mainly and use a commercial cleanser once a day. What is making matters a bit more complicated is my face is very flaky and I am not sure if it is from the POD or from my seborrheic dermatitis. And I just cannot get rid of the flakiness no matter what I use to moisturize or cleanse so far.

I actually ordered 3 creams with Urea in them (from the UK) a few months ago when all of my skin issues started. They are all Eucerin products though and when I tried them they caused a burning sensation on my face. That was when my POD was at its worse though and I wonder if I should try it again. I always think if something burns it cannot be good for my face but now based on what you and ame wrote it seems perhaps it might be OK. I will see what I do. I am being cautious because I do not want to go back to where I was when I had to apply topical steroids because it was so extreme.

I'll have to check out that other forum you mentioned. Thanks for you advice and input as it really helps when someone who is dealing with something similar shares her experience. I appreciate that.

OVincze said:
Hi Missy,

You know I was concerned about oils and butters, I would not use most, the shea butter caused problems for me on my face as well. Hemp, I have had the same problem with that you did, it simply does not moisturize my skin. I too have bad problems with mine including eczema, slight seb derm of course only now that I am nearing 40 and my mom has suspected a mild case of PD.

As I told you before my problems went away almost completely when I started using La Mer. I used to love Lauder but it was no longer working either, anything else aggravated my skin. Nothing will do a 100 % job but my problems are severe, my hands regularly look like I have second degree burns especially now in winter. My face tends to have red flaky spots, weird little breakouts all over, etc. I also have extremely dry skin that cannot tolerate most things and have severe allergies. When I used to go to the beauty salon, I no longer get facials, I would react so badly that my whole face was like chili pepper.

This fall things got really bad and I was desperate so I bought La Mer knowing it is famous for transforming skin, it certainly did mine. There will still be days when for hormonal reasons I may have some red areas and a couple little breakouts but they last a day or two max, this is something I always got. Otherwise, I would say my skin is 90 % better on it and was even a few days after starting on the regime.

My favorite products: well, hand cream for sure was a life saver for me, nothing else worked, not shea butter, but Clinique Deep moisture, etc. etc. with the La Mer hand cream once I put that one the red areas faded out. For face, which is the most important to you: I actually use the cleanser (have not tried the gel yet as this was in the package), I love love love the toner on cotton balls. I then use the Regenerating Serum followed by either the Original Cream or the Soft Cream. Tried both. I have also tried the Lifting Serum. Love the Eye Concentrate. Best eye cream I ever tried. What is best for moisturizing your skin, I would go with the Soft Cream, I love the original too but for me it is perfect when weather is extreme but you cannot go wrong with the soft cream, that was what I tried first and love perhaps the most. I would also highly recommend the Regenerating Serum, in my opinion you get the best results when you use them together. If you have oilier days, you can just use the Serum. Lifting Serum is ok but not as good as the regenerating and that is what we need anyhow. If you were to buy just one product to try for moisture, then I would go with the Soft Cream. I was in awe when I first tried that alone. I had not believed the hype but it has proven to be true for me.

I can check the ingredient list for you but now I must go to bed soon as I am working for three days in a row. Hope you get some good recommendations.

Ovi, thanks for chiming in here. Yes I know you have been singing the praises of La Mer for quite a while now. I wish I knew what their "magic" ingredients were that transforms some people's skin. I mean the people that love La Mer really love it!

I am just apprehensive about it because they also have ingredients that might be very irritating for my face. Ingredients like fragrance, Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus is in the First Aid Beauty cream too) and other "bad" ingredients and I am so scared to make my face worse. Ingredients like Lanolin which I thought was a big NO. Here is a list I was able to find online of their ingredients.

Ingredients in Creme De La Mer:
Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral oil Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Medicago sativa (alfalfa) seed powder, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus amygdulus dulcis (sweet almond) seed meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl succinate, Niacin, Beta-carotene, Decyl oleate, Aluminium distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance

However, I am going to go to Nordstrom or another department store this weekend that carries La Mer and hopefully I can get a sample of their Soft Cream, their regular cream and their cleanser. The issue for me also is I am not sure my skin is like yours or ame's because I have very dry skin and ame uses the cleansing gel which is for oilier skin based on what I have been reading about La Mer products so not sure their gel will work for my skin type. But I cannot get samples of every La Mer product I am sure and not even sure I can get samples of the few I will be asking for as I never asked for samples before at the department store. I know it's crazy but I feel funny asking.

I agree that Paula is not 100% impartial but I also read other reviews like Makeup Alley and more importantly go by what you guys have used and recommend because I know your experiences are truthful.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=155053/The-Moisturizing-Soft-Cream/La-Mer/Moisturizers

Everyone is different and I know that and appreciate you sharing what works for you. I also know it is on me for finding what works for me appreciate any advice based on your specific experience. Having said that I am trying to do all my homework so I have the best info available and make the best choices available for me. I have so many allergies to more ingredients than I even know so that is why I have been so cautious and reluctant to try some products. Hopefully though if I just patch test when I get them I won't do major damage.

I hope you have a good week Ovi and that work is not too stressful or crazy. Will post more to you in the other thread. (((Hugs))).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have combo dry and the gel does not dry me out at all. But i also use a cleansing oil at the beginning of my routine to get my makeup off, so that might be part of why.

The biggest thing is going to be trial and error. You have to try (and likely return) everything til you find what works. It wont be fast, it won't be easy and maybe won't be inexpensive either.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ame. I am in it for the long haul as I have no other option and know there is no quick fix and it does come down to trial and error. I am just hoping not to make it worse while experimenting and your input is very valuable. You are a skin care guru as far as I am concerned and I really appreciate your help!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guru is probably pushing it but thanks! A lot of it is just trying everything and figuring it out. Some things work great for like 2 weeks and then HOLY COW my face will freak. Then I stop using EVERYTHING and start with one thing at a time to find the culprit. I try to not introduce more than one new item at a time.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So I also have very reactive skin - more like acne prone, dryness, easily scars, etc.

My best regime is simply The Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash, used on hair, face and body (so many shampoos and hair products mess with my skin), then I use a daytime moisturizer and night time exfoliating gel from Sephora from the Ole Henricksen line, which I really love. BUT, that being said, I was sick with a respiratory virus and went totally caveman for a week, didn't use any cleanser or products on my face at all (I don't really ever wear makeup either), just water, and I swear it's the best my skin ever looked. Scared it was a fluke, I returned to my normal regimen, but might be worth a try!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried skin shielding lotions like skin MD naturals? It is one lotion that my psoriasis afflicted hubby and my eczema laden self both slather on head to toe post showering.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1421859048|3819885 said:
Guru is probably pushing it but thanks! A lot of it is just trying everything and figuring it out. Some things work great for like 2 weeks and then HOLY COW my face will freak. Then I stop using EVERYTHING and start with one thing at a time to find the culprit. I try to not introduce more than one new item at a time.

Thanks ame. I agree one new thing at a time if possible (two tops) or else I won't know what is helping or hurting. I am paralyzed right now because I am scared to take action and change anything in case I make it worse. Right now it's not great but it's not as awful as it had been.

ericad|1421875694|3820064 said:
So I also have very reactive skin - more like acne prone, dryness, easily scars, etc.

My best regime is simply The Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash, used on hair, face and body (so many shampoos and hair products mess with my skin), then I use a daytime moisturizer and night time exfoliating gel from Sephora from the Ole Henricksen line, which I really love. BUT, that being said, I was sick with a respiratory virus and went totally caveman for a week, didn't use any cleanser or products on my face at all (I don't really ever wear makeup either), just water, and I swear it's the best my skin ever looked. Scared it was a fluke, I returned to my normal regimen, but might be worth a try!

Erica, thanks for your recommendation. I have heard of that company and in fact they started recently selling products at Costco. Love Costco. I haven't heard of Ole Henrickson and will check both of your recommendations, thanks!

Sorry you were sick and that's amazing that when you didn't use any products your skin looked so good. I wonder if part of that could have been due to being sick. Sometimes I feel when our bodies are fighting one thing another thing clears. I know that sounds crazy but when I was at home non weight bearing with my leg for 14 weeks unable to go anywhere my skin never looked so good. And I wasn't taking my doxy for my skin either. Weird. But then just as I was getting back to normal BAM my skin exploded. So just thinking out loud here and hypothesizing about why.

I did try Zero Therapy for 4-5 days in Dec but it just made everything worse. My skin is so dry and maybe that's the difference b/w your skin and mine. I need moisturizer badly even during an outbreak. My problem is finding products that do no harm. Wearing makeup ha, almost forgot what that's like. I hope I can wear some when I return to work because I don't want to scare people haha. But I never wore much anyway. Now though I need it though so hoping I can wear at least a little.

PintoBean said:
Have you tried skin shielding lotions like skin MD naturals? It is one lotion that my psoriasis afflicted hubby and my eczema laden self both slather on head to toe post showering.

PintoBean, no I never heard of that product line. I am not knowledgeable about skincare or makeup obviously but trying to get there. Thanks for your recommendation. I am going to look into it. Sorry you and your dh have skin problems too but glad you can keep it under control.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
See if your Costco has the honest body wash in the big pumps since that's a fabulous buy. I use it on my body (alternate with aveeno and dove) and like it a lot. I have never put it on my face tho bec I am a little anxious about that with what's in it. I can get away with that below the neck, not above kt

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I am so sorry you are having these troubles with your skin and hope for you to get well. Are baby oil and Vaseline too harsh for you? I know they moisturize...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ame. I will see if my Costco has that. I am actually using body soap from Chagrin Valley that I love but I think it is a good idea to alternate anyway.

Hi Patty, I know that makes sense right? But supposedly vaseline and baby oil are 2 of the worst things I can put on my face for perioral dermatitis. Too clogging and oily. I was actually applying aquaphor to the red irritated areas around my nose before I knew it was POD but it made it worse. Thank you for trying to help me figure out what I can use though. I appreciate your good wishes.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
In the winter I use Dove and Aveeno more often, just bec they are richer (Dove Winter Care body wash and Aveeno unscented something bodywash) and in Summer I use the Honest Co more often and randomly use the Aveeno and Dove)

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Ug! My mom is allergic to practically everything. And each year she develops an allergy to something new. This year it was dryer sheets. She had such blistered and irritated skin and couldn't use anything on her skin, no soaps, no lotions... Reading about how your sensitive you skin has become brought back all those feelings of frustrations as we tried to make her comfortable. Boy I wish I had a magic wand for you!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It gets really old. I am sick of the reactions salespeople have at various stores when I make returns and state a reaction is why I am returning it. Despite the fact you can usually plainly SEE the reaction on my face. I don't want to drive over there and return the damn thing, it's not my idea of a good time to try to mitigate a reaction either.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Patty. I am sorry your mom is dealing with similar issues and hope she has been able to find relief! It is weird the way some of our sensitivities and allergies just develop seemingly overnight though I realize it is due to years of aggravation of specific chemicals and intolerances.

Ame, I am in complete agreement. Frustrating and not my idea of a good time either. Ugh, it just adds insult to injury to have to go and return stuff to people who question why. We are supposed to get some inclement weather/snowstorm tomorrow so not sure I am going to be able to make it to the department stores. If not I will try next weekend.

So far not sure how it is going. I received the "Magic Mitt" from Jane Iredale and used it twice. I was very careful and gently cleansed my face. The first day with just Avene thermal water and yesterday with my hemp oil doing my modified OCM. I apply the oil before my shower to protect my face from my shampoo and the tap water in the shower and then remove it from my face when I get out of the shower and then moisturize. Will keep you guys posted with my impressions of the Magic Mitt which is from my eval at this point a glorified microfiber cloth but perhaps more gentle. We'll see.

I did try the Ultra Skin repair cream by First Aid Beauty twice so far but only on my nose. No breakouts or reaction from it yet. Maybe I will be brave enough and apply to the rest of my face soon. It's amazing how skin that is so reactive can make one terrified to chance anything new. Baby steps for me right now.

Marymm last night I received the Marajuca oil and it feels very nice. I applied it to my hands so far and will work up the nerve to apply to a test area on my face. Thank you for the recommendation.

I have a few more orders I am waiting for to arrive and will update as I receive them with my impressions. I want to thank everyone again who took the time to post here in order to help me. Thanks!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Missy, she is so much better. It was a haul though, rewashing everything and omitting the dryer sheet in the dryer, her wearing big muumuus, showering but not able to use soap, washing her hair in the sink, and no hugs :cry: . She was such a trooper. I think my sisters and I suffered more that she did, lol!

I hope you find something soon that helps you =) .

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

Sorry to hear of your challenges. I don't think trying a whole bunch of new products is a good idea in your situation. If it were me I'd stop using all products, cut out all acidic foods especially sugar, citrus and tomatoes and take saltwater baths. Changing bedlinen and towels more frequently may help, especially if you wash your clothes with baking soda only and rinse with vinegar.

For moisturizing I'd stick to pure coconut oil, jojoba or shea. If using steroid creams I would start with over-the-counter first before moving to stronger topical steroids.

Good luck

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Patty I hear you about it being tough on you guys too. I know these past 7 months have not been easy on my dh either. Your mom is lucky she had/has your support. And hopefully she can have your hugs again too now!

Hi quaddio, thank you for your advice. I agree with changing the bed linens and towels etc more frequently and we wash everything in ultra gentle detergent without sulfates etc. and have been doing that for over a decade due to my eczema and other allergies anyway.

I avoid all citrus and tomatoes because of my rosacea and rarely eat processed or sugary foods. That's why this is a conundrum in a way because I eat healthfully and exercise and take care of myself as best I can. As far as stopping all products I am only using a minimum of products right now. I tried Zero Therapy and it was horrible and even my derm insisted I get back to cleansing and moisturizing because my skin was getting much much worse and peeling horribly and I was in more than a little pain. This is coming from someone who knows what pain is believe me.

As far as coconut oil, jojoba and shea goes there is no way I can use those oils. I have seborrheic dermatitis and they would only aggravate it as they would provide food for the malassezia (seb derm is an allergy to the malassezia yeast we have naturally occurring on our skin nice right?) and I have to stick to oils that the yeast cannot feed on. Now, I plan on experimenting as necessary with some moisturizers that may contain smaller amounts of shea for example and see how it goes. But I am not there yet.

And as far as steroid creams go that is a big fat NO. Please everybody do NOT use topical steroids for POD or Seb derm or Rosacea. It will make things so much worse in the long run. OTC or Rx doesn't matter. Topical steroids are contraindicated for all these conditions!

So far I am keeping it simple and not branching out too much. One day at a time and gauging my reactions as best I can as I go along. I always spot test before I apply a new product to my whole face and only plan on introducing one (or 2) new things at a time.

I appreciate you chiming in and welcome your input. Thank you!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Missy I am going through the exact same thing right now. I also am completely intollerant of sunscreen chemicals, all supermarket cleansers and moisturisers, even normal shampoo and conditioner gives my an itchy scalp. i love moogoo (great all natural Australian skin care http://moogoo.com.au/ great reputation here, very clear ingredient labels) shampoo and conditioner but its not prefect either as i think it is leaving a buildup.

I've found I'm am now reacting to chemical free all natural products i had success with in the past. when i 'react' to things i get a full face chemical burn. super fun! it happened on monday to my favourite skin friendly products that i have used in the past that i started on again last weekend. on monday i felt like my face was badly sunburnt and red and sore, by wednesday it felt dry, thick skin and now it flaky and peeling off. the only upside is when i have these reaction i do also get the benefits of a chemical peel - soft lovely skin afterwards, finger crossed.

i threw my hands up in the air and i went to my local organic supermarket for advice and am now using Tamanu oil as a moisturiser (so far so good although i am TTC and some say not to use during pregnancy?) and I'm playing it safe right now and only using avene water and being super gentle with a microfibre cloth to cleanse. as, like you any exfoliation is too irritating. the only other thing i put on my face is bareminerals powder foundation. I overhauled my diet after the reaction on monday. I'm eating organic produce as much as possible and have cut out processed foods. Today I'm researching mealplans and Dr hauschka (sp?) i might buy the samples first as i also have a cupboard full of random unused products.

if i find an answer i will let you know. until then i will be following this thread with interest :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no hippi, I am so sorry you are dealing with skin issues too. :blackeye:
I just did some quick research for you and it seems that Tamanu oil is safe during pregnancy but please double check with your obstetrician of course. Here's the link.
http://www.thespoiledmamablog.com/2013/09/organic-beauty-tamanu-oil/

I wonder if we are rebelling against natural treatments for some reason and why did our skin go haywire around the same time. I am not even wearing makeup right now to cover it but need to be able to soon so hoping my dermablend will be safe to wear as I don't want to start experimenting with makeup too. It's crazy how many products I bought in the last few months that I cannot use. Trying not to think about the jewelry that could have bought lol.

I wish you all the best in your TTC hippi and also with your skin. This should be an exciting and happy time for you and I am hoping it will be. Please keep me posted and I will do the same. Good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My face and neck are in the middle of a gnarly outbreak. I've gotten to the point where I don't think it's products, I think it's ME. :boohoo:

But I KNOW my face does not like "natural". I am allergic to most trees and weeds and plants anyway, I mean, I get shots for them every week and take inhalers and sprays and pills so I can breathe around them through at least one of my nostrils. So why would I think for a minute using them on my skin would not make my body reject everything?!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame, I am so sorry you are dealing with an outbreak. Ugh that sucks. :blackeye:

I'm with you in that I am allergic to everything. Ragweed/trees/dust/pollen/cats/dogs/etc etc etc Everything they tested me for showed up allergic. I was supposed to go for food testing before I broke my leg and I never rescheduled. Part of me doesn't want to know yanno? I mean I am already limited in what I can eat (cannot eat dairy, chocolate, alcohol, tomatoes, citrus, spicy foods, etc) so don't really want any more limitations.

I also get hives for no reason that pop up all over my body but oh it's so lovely when they pop up on my face. Big red itchy welts. Fun.

Yeah probably natural won't work for me either because of those reasons but neither are the commercial products so where does that leave me lol.

I hope your reaction calms down and that your face and neck clear soon.
(((Hugs))).

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,
I'm sorry to hear you (and the other ladies) are having such reactive skin issues.
After reading through your posts Missy, I am wondering if there might be something else going on in your body that is causing you to be so reactive. I think I recall you mentioning earlier in this thread that you have some type of auto-immune issue. From what I understand, one auto-immune disease can sometimes lead to another, and left untreated they can cause a persons body to go haywire. I have one(Celiac Disease)that went undiagnosed for 20+ years and eventually led to my body going haywire and a decrease in my overall health, which included some of the things you have mentioned like super reactive skin, severe allergies and multiple food sensitivities. I know you mentioned that you avoid gluten, but I am wondering, have you ever had a gastro doctor run a blood test or biopsy your small intestine to test for Celiac? Even trace amounts of gluten for a person with Celiac can cause the body to go haywire in many different ways including a painfully nasty rash called Dermatitis Herpetiformis. I'm by no means a doctor and could be way off base with this suggestion, but I wouldn't feel right not mentioning this too you with all you are going through.
Hopefully you will be able to get to the bottom of this soon!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's what it looked like right out of the shower this morning. The left eyelid (on right in photo) is also bad but I was taking this so my mom could see how big the neck welts were today so that isn't as in focus.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1422148011.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
2Neezers|1422142339|3821578 said:
Hi Missy,
I'm sorry to hear you (and the other ladies) are having such reactive skin issues.
After reading through your posts Missy, I am wondering if there might be something else going on in your body that is causing you to be so reactive. I think I recall you mentioning earlier in this thread that you have some type of auto-immune issue. From what I understand, one auto-immune disease can sometimes lead to another, and left untreated they can cause a persons body to go haywire. I have one(Celiac Disease)that went undiagnosed for 20+ years and eventually led to my body going haywire and a decrease in my overall health, which included some of the things you have mentioned like super reactive skin, severe allergies and multiple food sensitivities. I know you mentioned that you avoid gluten, but I am wondering, have you ever had a gastro doctor run a blood test or biopsy your small intestine to test for Celiac? Even trace amounts of gluten for a person with Celiac can cause the body to go haywire in many different ways including a painfully nasty rash called Dermatitis Herpetiformis. I'm by no means a doctor and could be way off base with this suggestion, but I wouldn't feel right not mentioning this too you with all you are going through.
Hopefully you will be able to get to the bottom of this soon!
I googled that now, and actually checked out some images. They look more blistery than what I normally get though I assume that's different for everyone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning!

2Neezers, thank you for adding your thoughts here. I appreciate that very much and will ask my doctor about testing me for celiac. I have never been tested and just started avoiding gluten as an experiment but truthfully I don't think I am totally excluding it from my diet as I really don't know everything food/drink/product might be lurking in so I will check that out. I am pretty sure I do not have Dermatitis Herpetiformis since my dermatologist would have picked that up most likely and what I have is a classic case of POD but it is definitely worth looking into Celiac nevertheless.

I am so sorry you went through all that before you got your diagnosis and I hope you are doing well now. I hope that your health is much improved since you know what you are dealing with and are taking the steps necessary. A good friend of mine has celiac and she is doing great now that she avoids what she needs to avoid. Thank you again for your input.

ame, how are you this morning? I am hoping your hives are gone or at least diminished considerably. I get those too and they are very welty, raised and itchy. But they go within the day usually especially if I take an antihistamine. I hope you don't mind me saying I think (besides the welts) that your skin looks beautiful. Flawless in fact. All the effort you put into your skincare is certainly paying off!

Lucky for you guys I am not posting a pic of when my face was pretty scary looking. I am doing better now that I have been on doxy for 6 plus weeks but before the doxy took effect I looked like a burn victim.

Today we might go to the shopping malls and see if I can get some La Mer samples. I am going to see if the cleansing gel and soft cream are available in samples. Is there anything else you can think of that I should look into getting at the department stores today?

My update so far: I am using the "Magic Mitt" once a day to cleanse my face with just the Avene thermal water or the oil cleanse depending and moisturizing with a spray of Avene on my face and then adding some hemp oil. The flakiness has decreased and I think that is because I am gently exfoliating vs not doing anything and letting the dead skin just accumulate.

Last night I added the La Roche Posay cicaplast moisturizer about an hour after I applied the hemp oil and avene water spray to my face as I needed some extra moisture because my skin was feeling very dry and this morning all seems OK. I have still what seems to be permanent redness in my nasolabial region (from nasal area to mouth in the crease area) and today only a few papules so that's good. I have been spot applying pure zinc oxide powder with my hemp oil to the paps to see if that does anything. Not sure yet. My skin changes from moment to moment sometimes. Do you experience that too? I mean one minute it is not bad and the next lots of little paps/bumps.

I did add maracuja oil once to the hemp during my oil cleanse and I think it caused me to break out a bit more but not sure and only tried that once and then I did combine it with hemp to moisturize once as well and I think that went ok. It is hard to extrapolate from only a couple of applications so not drawing any conclusions yet.

I also used your recommendation of First Aid Beauty ultra repair cream twice but only on my nose haha. As I wrote before I will get braver as time goes on but right now I am cautious about rocking the proverbial boat since knock wood my skin is a bit calmer. I hope that redness in my nasolabial folds quiets down though or else I am going to have to apply makeup to it and I really don't want to as one that might exacerbate it (pretty sure that will have that reaction) and two I would rather not wear makeup if possible. But I guess I will do what I can and will be grateful if I can tolerate makeup to cover those areas.

I am not trying any of the products the aesthetician gave me to sample this past Monday because after checking them they all had something I didn't want to use. Fragrance or mineral oil or petroleum or a preservative I wasn't crazy about so that was a waste unfortunately.

I am still waiting on orders I placed last week based on recommendations here. Taking a long time to get here but again since I am only trying to change one thing at a time that's OK. Thanks again everyone for your advice and recommendations.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jimmianne|1422188022|3821752 said:
Late to this thread, but I just got this a few of days ago after reading about it in the NYT:
http://www.tatcha.com/shop/p-ritual-discovery-kit?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ritual-discovery-kit
and ordered it for sensitive skin [I have reactive flakey/dry/acne skin].
I like it very much and can see a difference already.
My Two Cents!
Happy Sunday!

Thanks very much Jimmianne. I am so glad it is working well for you so far. Are you using the kit for sensitive skin or dry skin?

Could you please let me know your thoughts after using it for a bit longer? We seem to both share reactive flakey dry skin (unfortunately) so I am definitely interested and the ingredients look good. Thanks and happy Sunday to you too. :))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1422184296|3821739 said:
ame, how are you this morning? I am hoping your hives are gone or at least diminished considerably. I get those too and they are very welty, raised and itchy. But they go within the day usually especially if I take an antihistamine. I hope you don't mind me saying I think (besides the welts) that your skin looks beautiful. Flawless in fact. All the effort you put into your skincare is certainly paying off!

Lucky for you guys I am not posting a pic of when my face was pretty scary looking. I am doing better now that I have been on doxy for 6 plus weeks but before the doxy took effect I looked like a burn victim.

Today we might go to the shopping malls and see if I can get some La Mer samples. I am going to see if the cleansing gel and soft cream are available in samples. Is there anything else you can think of that I should look into getting at the department stores today?

My update so far: I am using the "Magic Mitt" once a day to cleanse my face with just the Avene thermal water or the oil cleanse depending and moisturizing with a spray of Avene on my face and then adding some hemp oil. The flakiness has decreased and I think that is because I am gently exfoliating vs not doing anything and letting the dead skin just accumulate.

Last night I added the La Roche Posay cicaplast moisturizer about an hour after I applied the hemp oil and avene water spray to my face as I needed some extra moisture because my skin was feeling very dry and this morning all seems OK. I have still what seems to be permanent redness in my nasolabial region (from nasal area to mouth in the crease area) and today only a few papules so that's good. I have been spot applying pure zinc oxide powder with my hemp oil to the paps to see if that does anything. Not sure yet. My skin changes from moment to moment sometimes. Do you experience that too? I mean one minute it is not bad and the next lots of little paps/bumps.

I did add maracuja oil once to the hemp during my oil cleanse and I think it caused me to break out a bit more but not sure and only tried that once and then I did combine it with hemp to moisturize once as well and I think that went ok. It is hard to extrapolate from only a couple of applications so not drawing any conclusions yet.

I also used your recommendation of First Aid Beauty ultra repair cream twice but only on my nose haha. As I wrote before I will get braver as time goes on but right now I am cautious about rocking the proverbial boat since knock wood my skin is a bit calmer. I hope that redness in my nasolabial folds quiets down though or else I am going to have to apply makeup to it and I really don't want to as one that might exacerbate it (pretty sure that will have that reaction) and two I would rather not wear makeup if possible. But I guess I will do what I can and will be grateful if I can tolerate makeup to cover those areas.

I am not trying any of the products the aesthetician gave me to sample this past Monday because after checking them they all had something I didn't want to use. Fragrance or mineral oil or petroleum or a preservative I wasn't crazy about so that was a waste unfortunately.

I am still waiting on orders I placed last week based on recommendations here. Taking a long time to get here but again since I am only trying to change one thing at a time that's OK. Thanks again everyone for your advice and recommendations.
Thank you! It's a battle and one I am willing to fight ;-) I hope they'll give you samples! They SHOULD have both the gel and the soft cream in samples. Ive received both from my regular SA more than once for travel.

My face and eye looks good this morning. Last night I smeared a heap of Neosporin on my face, reading a bunch about Perioral and periorbital dermatitis online and some of those photos looked AWFULLY similar, the patchy stuff. Since some of the commentary mentioned antibiotic creams I decided to try it, and a lot said not to use cortisones because that just makes it worse...sure enough my face and eye look WAY different today...My neck not much but those are ridiculous. I am going to keep trying it after my routine and see how it goes.

I actually have some of the Tatcha--the face mist, and the travel sizes of the hydrating and brightening serums, and I like their items a lot. I will occasionally alternate them into my LaMer routine.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, not sure if anyone addressed this, but it dawned on me while I was in the shower to ask you if you have hard water. Our water is quite hard, ... First place I've ever lived where I get red stains in the tub and toilet from the water! Since we are in an apartment building, we got a shower head with filter in January, and my skin is not as dry and itchy. It has helped heaps, and the bonus is that our tub and tile are staying spotless longer lol.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi Missy,
Also late to this thread. Sorry for all your skin troubles. I also have roacea pretty bad and can not put anything on my skin. No makeup or creams. I have no better suggestions for you other than I take the oral med Oracea which is the same as your doxy 40mg except that it is time released which works much better for me since using it instead. I take it once a day. It has put the roacea into remission several times. I then can go sometimes for months before I must start again when the terrible redness and little white pimples return. I hope you find relief soon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results