shape
carat
color
clarity

CADs are in - opinions?

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

After my post yesterday (about BDG taking a while to get me CADs for my Truth x 3 ring), I am excited to share that the CADs are now ready! Would love your opinions. Below, I will share (A) my CADS, (B) photos of a ring that served as my inspiration, (C) my thoughts on the CADs.

Here are my CADs. Ring is a size 4.75, stones are .41/1.26/.40ct.

_9443.jpg

_9442.jpg

_9444.jpg

_9445.jpg

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Here are the photos of a ring that served as my inspiration. Stones are .55/.93/.55ct (I prefer my ratio of .40/1.26/.40). But I love the lines and metal proportions on this ring.

screen_shot_2015-01-21_at_3.png

screen_shot_2015-01-21_at_1.png

screen_shot_2015-01-21_at_2.png

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous, I love it.

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
My thoughts (I have not yet provided my feedback to BGD):

(A) Was expecting more finger coverage. Will there really be this much metal from the top view?

(B) Make sure prongs are small and pointy. Confirm the CAD is making the prongs look rounder than they will in real life?

(C) Make sure shank is fluid-looking and not too thick. See inspiration photo. Confirm the CAD is making the shank look bigger than they will in real life?

(D) Make sure the taper is fluid-looking and not too straight/flat-looking. See inspiration photo.

(E) Are the stones in proportion to one another, and are they in proportion to the width of the band? I would think .40ct would look smaller than the center stone, and that the three stones toether would provide more finger coverage.

Thanks for any input and opinions you can provide on the CAD!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like yours better! I like the larger middle with the smaller sides. Overall I think it looks great!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the proportions of the stones on the CAD don't jive with me. I have a .33/1.28/.34 ring and the proportions are much different than what is shown in the CAD-- my center is much, much larger than the sides. I think this also might address your finger coverage question. I am a size 5/5.25 and my ring covers almost the entirety of my finger with maybe 1mm left over.

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
kb1gra|1421883799|3820132 said:
I agree that the proportions of the stones on the CAD don't jive with me. I have a .33/1.28/.34 ring and the proportions are much different than what is shown in the CAD-- my center is much, much larger than the sides. I think this also might address your finger coverage question. I am a size 5/5.25 and my ring covers almost the entirety of my finger with maybe 1mm left over.

Thanks! Would love to see a pic of your ring if you have one you can share. Especially since the specs are so similar!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whilst the CADs are very pretty that ring is not going to look like your inspiration ring IRL. The stones/ring size of the inspiration ring as not the same proportion so you will see more metal and have less finger coverage. Also because of the better coverage of the diamonds in the inspiration photo the shank is almost straight as it sweeps up to meet the edge of the outside diamond, but in the CADS its much more cathedralled.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
This is my ring:

img_6712.jpg

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
chel180|1421886734|3820152 said:
Whilst the CADs are very pretty that ring is not going to look like your inspiration ring IRL. The stones/ring size of the inspiration ring as not the same proportion so you will see more metal and have less finger coverage. Also because of the better coverage of the diamonds in the inspiration photo the shank is almost straight as it sweeps up to meet the edge of the outside diamond, but in the CADS its much more cathedralled.

Thanks! Your points actually mirror why I was confused upon seeing the CADs. I had visited a local jeweler to try on 3-stones in my stone sizes (to get a rough idea of the diamond/metal proportions and finger coverage) and in store, it pretty much covered the top of my finger (photo attached). I know the setting makes a big difference, but the finger coverage in person vs the CAD seemed really off to me. However, BGD confirmed for me tonight that "the diamond mm width combined is approx 14mm. The band width will be approx 2.3-2.5mm wide. Being that your ring size is only a 4.75, you will have great finger coverage! The band will curve down and will give you mostly all diamonds from finger to finger when your hand is closed."

So it sounds like the diamond sizes in the CAD are not representative of my actual stones. Which seems weird to me, but I don't really know how CADs work!:)

_10718.jpg

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Here is my old ering in a trellis. It's almost identical to what you want- .83ctw sides and 1.2ct center in a 3.75 ring size. I don't know if the setting makes a difference in how much coverage you get.

_10720.jpg

_10721.jpg

_26291.jpg

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1421890303|3820184 said:
Here is my old ering in a trellis. It's almost identical to what you want- .83ctw sides and 1.2ct center in a 3.75 ring size. I don't know if the setting makes a difference in how much coverage you get.

Oh my goodness, this is exactly how I would want my ring to look on me!! Granted my finger is a whole size bigger than yours. So glad to see these stone proportions though. Thank you for posting. LOVE the wedding band pairing, by the way. If I wasn't so sentimentally attached to my wedding band (and if I didn't already have a 5-stone RHR), I would totally get this as my band!

sweet_jane

Rough_Rock
I love the profile view of your ring design! Have you considered the angle of the side stone settings in relation to the center stone may be what is causing the ration to look a little off? It could be just me...

screen_shot_2015-01-22_at_10_2.png
screen_shot_2015-01-22_at_10_1.png

chicam

Shiny_Rock
LoganSapphire, do you sharing where you got that wedding band from? I love it. Thanks.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
chicam|1421945863|3820428 said:
LoganSapphire, do you sharing where you got that wedding band from? I love it. Thanks.

Thanks! I no longer have it (wasn't my original wedding band), unfortunately.

Quest Jewelers in Fairfax, VA made it for me. It's 2.5mm platinum with five cluster of 7 diamonds, if memory serves me correctly.

ppuff211

Rough_Rock
I spoke with Lesley today who has been super helpful, patient, and also reassured me that the CAD photo is not truly representative of how the finished ring will look in real life. She sent me a raw CAD of my ring which looks different from the CAD photo, and it's gorgeous... And more in line with what I was expecting (in terms of proportions between the stones themselves, and also proportion of the stones to the ring/shank).

My ring size is smaller than the inspiration photo, and my center stone is larger... So I will definitely have good finger coverage, even though the CAD photo does not show that. I am trusting that the ring in real life will have different proportions than the CAD photo.. A little tough for a control freak like myself, but BGD sounds very confident in this, and I know they must have an excellent reputation for a good reason!

Look forward to sharing the final product with you all. Thanks to everyone for sharing your input and expertise! (And thanks to those who shared photos of their own three-stone rings... Love looking at the eye candy:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results