carat
color
clarity

INPUT NEEDED...NEW TO PS

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Hi all.

New to PS.

Decided it was time to get serious and start looking for engagement rings for my lady. Pray for me!

In any event, I have her tastes and preferences under control, and I still subscribe that the ring should be a surprise--not a fan of the idea of taking her to pick her own ring out--to me its tantamount to kids being able to pick their own christmas gifts out--where's the magic--nonetheless, just MHO--don't want to spark a debate.

Here is the inquiry,

I'd like to get the Tacori Classic Crescent setting with a 2.5C center stone.

Attached are pictures of the stone and GIA cert. Interested in comments and suggestions.

I want to get the best 2.5 stone that money can buy--BUT don't want to break the bank either.

I have the attached stone quoted for $27K

Thoughts/Suggestions? Everything will be appreciated.

Bob

_26145.jpg

171586-officelight_gray-01.jpg

_26146.jpg

Attachments

• 250hsi1exex.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 53

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't see the GIA report...?

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
ITS A HYPER LINK-I'll attach again here

Attachments

• _90.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 104

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I had missed that in your initial post. It is a decent looking stone, though you can likely find some that are cut a little nicer. If the pavilion angle was just a little lower it would be better. Is your max budget 27k? Is H the color you want to stay at, or are you willing to drop to I?

I did a search for H color with a max budget of 27k and the options will be pretty limited. If you can compromise in certain areas, or if your budget is higher, we may be able to find something with a little better cut.

Did you see that stone in person. If so, what were your thoughts?

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Thanks for comments.

H is as low as I will go.

As to cut...not sure what you mean.

All I know is it is GIA, SI1 (closer to VS2), H, and triple x.

27K is about where I'm going to go with the stone.

Possibly 30K...

Somebody finds me a better deal...there could be a finders fee!

Seriously, all comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for your comments

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut quality is of utmost importance - it is what makes the diamond sparkle. An ideal cut stone will face up larger and whiter than a less well cut one, all else being equal. If you have facets that line up at the right angles, you will get a spectacular light show, which is what you are after. In this case, it scores a 2.7 on the HCA https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

Light Return Very Good
Fire Very Good
Scintillation Very Good
Spread or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 2.7 - Very Good - Worth buying if the price is right

Ideally you want a number under 2, then get an idealscope image. GIA's cut category is very broad, and some slip through that aren't as well cut as others, which may be the case here. The angles could play a little nicer together, which is what pfunk was referring to.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A GIA report will simple list the cut grade as good, very good, excellent, etc. Most everyone here will tell that GIA excellent is simply a starting point. Anything that isnt gia excellent is most likely not a good contender. Even if you had all GIA excellent stones, there are some cut right to the middle of excellent that will be great, and there are others that are cut to barely make the GIA excellent grade. That is why you need to be more picky than just settling for any GIA excellent. This is where the HCA tool comes in that was linked above. Use that to reject stones, but not to select them.

If you don't want to go below an H in color and don't want to stretch the budget too much, is making the 2.5 carat mark a necessity? Often times you can get more bang for your buck right below the common cutoffs. Meaning a 2.3 or 2.4 c may cost quite a bit less than a 2.5c. Although at that high of weight there may be less available than someone looking for a 1.5 carat, for example.

Have you seen many in person? Even a 2.3 carat is a good sized diamond.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MCDAGO|1421600035|3818442 said:
As to cut...not sure what you mean.

All I know is it is GIA, SI1 (closer to VS2), H, and triple x.

MCDAGO,

As others have pointed out in the thread, the cut quality of the diamond is important to how it returns light to the viewer.

While GIA (and other labs) give cut grades of excellent, very good, etc... within each of those ratings there are differing levels of cut quality. Set two 'excellent' cut diamonds next to each other and you may find very different looks.

The HCA referenced above is a good starting point - it gives you, based on the numbers, a good idea of how the diamond may return light. But the HCA is just that - a starting point. Due to the variances in rounding of numbers even diamonds that have the same angles on a grading report can have different light return in real-life.

So how do you tell which diamond is going to perform they way you would like? You use light performance images. Ask anyone from whom you are considering a diamond purchase to supply ASET and/or Ideal-Scope images of the diamond which will give you a gauge of the intensity of the light return.

More information can be found here:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/ideal-scope

https://www.pricescope.com/journal/aset-–-diamond-evaluation-tool

If you do not want to or do not have the time to become good at reading and/or interpreting the images, post them here on PriceScope and you will get a lot of great advice.

Happy Hunting!

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys.

Here's the requested--ASSET and Ideal scope attached.

Thoughts?

B

Attachments

• doc2.pdf
    170.9 KB · Views: 91

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond is beautiful and the idealscope, macro, and ASET images show that it's great.

I compared a diamond with literally the exact same GIA proportions to 2 brian gavin superieals from many distances and lighting types. I could not tell one iota of a difference.

Feel free to look around a bit more, but if I were in your shoes, I would feel comfortable pulling the trigger at this point.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
McDago,
Another issue to inquire about is transparency. Some clarity characteristics due to their nature, location, size or number can negatively impact brilliancy (even if cutting is great). This is particularly true in the Si and below range. The tweezer shot and to perhaps a lesser degree the hand shot may be hinting at this effect. It is something good to discuss with your vendor.

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Good stuff. You guys are really helping me.

Teo--please clarify did you compare this diamond or a similar diamond to Gavin Also What are Gavin Supereals?

Asking price is $27K--any thoughts on price point?

I'll follow-up with the transparency inquiry Hawk--thanks!

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Also, can anyone confirm for me what the depth and table of this diamond are?

Thanks,

B

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
From me reading the GIA report you posted I think the
depth:62.2
table: 57

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Given above...is 27K for this piece competitive?

B

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Vendor is Solomon Brothers...any thoughts.

looking for GIA 2.5C 3x G-H SI1, NO F TO FAINT

Current diamond is as described above and the price offered is 27K??

Thoughts?

MCDAGO

Rough_Rock
Re: INPUT NEEDED...NEW TO PS ****HELP NEEDED****

HI--

I need some help--thinking of buying the above stone from Solomon Brothers for 27.5.

Any comments?

Given the criteria--do you think I could fare better elsewhere?

I'm totally new to this and would appreciate anyone's comments relative to price.

Thanks,

Bob :boohoo:

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
2.5ct H is a very nice size & color. It will look substantial on her hand.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results