shape
carat
color
clarity

I have a lot of unanswered questions....do you?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What is the good of being almost -- years old, if I still have so much to learn?

Thus far, I have a lot of unanswered questions mostly about grammar and usage. Yes, that's correct. Or is it right? :rodent:

However, that might not be the case for "you". Do you have any nagging or short term unanswered questions that you'd like to share? Grammatical or otherwise?

This could be fun or serious but since "we" don't want to test the moderators patience anymore than "necessary" is it possible to refrain from target practice? That said, feel "free" :lol: to post questions or answers. I know I will.

Here goes nothing.

-I find the word sex confused for gender. Does gender mean anything else? In context, why would one use the former? Same with difficult and hard.

-Those really unattractive shoes that are supposed to help one in icy circumstances and don't. Hell, why does one buy/wear them?

-Seriously, do folks toss/relocate unwanted appliances onto the lawn? Yet, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

cheers--Sharon

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1421373392|3817162 said:
HI:

What is the good of being almost -- years old, if I still have so much to learn?

Thus far, I have a lot of unanswered questions mostly about grammar and usage. Yes, that's correct. Or is it right? :rodent:

However, that might not be the case for "you". Do you have any nagging or short term unanswered questions that you'd like to share? Grammatical or otherwise?

This could be fun or serious but since "we" don't want to test the moderators patience anymore than "necessary" is it possible to refrain from target practice? That said, feel "free" :lol: to post questions or answers. I know I will.

Here goes nothing.

-I find the word sex confused for gender. Does gender mean anything else? In context, why would one use the former? Same with difficult and hard.

-Those really unattractive shoes that are supposed to help one in icy circumstances and don't. Hell, why does one buy/wear them?

-Seriously, do folks toss/relocate unwanted appliances onto the lawn? Yet, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted.

cheers--Sharon

I'll actually just answer one of yours :) Gender refers more to social or cultural identification as masculine or feminine. Sex is particularly referring to your anatomical makeup as male or female. http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just going to put this out there. I'll be 53 this year, although all LAST year I told people I was 53 because I miscalculated. I'm good at math. I'm getting bad at short-term memory though.

I have repeatedly gone over the gender issue with my eldest daughter, as it is something she has studied for her career. I honestly get very confused. So no, sex is not gender. Gender is many, many things today. I try to be inclusive, but it seems my knowledge is outdated. I'm constantly correcting myself. There are concepts I can't quite retain, although I'm aware they are real, and I certainly have no biases in this area. Does this even make sense? :confused:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
canuk-gal|1421373392|3817162 said:

cheers--Sharon

I have so done this! It's actually faster than the trash service or taking it to a transfer station, at least where I live. I put a sign that says "Free to a good home" and it doesn't matter what I put out there, it's gone in no time. Broken chair? Gone. Dented file cabinet? Poof! Random box o' crap? Abracadabra! No more box!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I do not understand how the population of China could grow when every two people could have only one child.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1421378576|3817189 said:
I do not understand how the population of China could grow when every two people could have only one child.

The rules have changed. Many couples are allowed two children now. Plus babies are born faster than people die.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm 26 years old, married, a career pub manager and customer service manager and have played bass guitar and screamed in Death Metal bands for 10 years.

Of anything I could possibly ask or want to know, I want to know where all the Marlin off the coast of Sydney go when the weather gets cold!! They're not up north or down south, they don't travel to the Northern Hemisphere - they just, well...gone!! :confused:

I also would like to know the trick of solving a Rubiks cube :lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a college graduate and consider myself fairly intelligent. Why oh why can't I seem to grasp the concepts of DNA? Is it because I'm old?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1421379539|3817203 said:
VapidLapid|1421378576|3817189 said:

The rules have changed. Many couples are allowed two children now. Plus babies are born faster than people die.
I thought that you could have more than one child, you just had to pay exorbitant taxes on it (him/her)? Googling in a moment..

So yes, if you are an only child, you and your partner can have 2 kids.

From wiki on more kids:
In accordance with China's affirmative action policies towards ethnic minorities, all non-Han ethnic groups are subjected to different laws and are usually allowed to have two children in urban areas, and three or four in rural areas. Han Chinese living in rural towns are also permitted to have two children.[32] Because of couples such as these, as well as urban couples who simply pay a fine (or "social maintenance fee") to have more children,[33] the overall fertility rate of mainland China is close to 1.4 children per woman.[34]

The Family Planning Policy is enforced through a financial penalty in the form of the "social child-raising fee", sometimes called a "family planning fine" in the West, which is collected as a fraction of either the annual disposable income of city dwellers or of the annual cash income of peasants, in the year of the child's birth.[35] E.g. in Guangdong, the fee is between 3 and 6 annual incomes for incomes below the per capita income of the district, plus 1 to 2 times the annual income exceeding the average. Both members of the couple need to pay the fine.[36]

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Why does it bother me when everyone says "a hundred" instead of "one hundred?"
Is either correct? OK...now back to work :read:

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
With Google, I can usually answer my questions. But yesterday I was thinking about the letter grading system they use in schools, and wondered what happened to the letter E. You can get an A, B, C, D, or F at most schools. Where is the E?

I looked up the answer but I am not completely satisfied. :lol:

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
Modified Brilliant|1421515425|3818058 said:

Gosh, I hope so. I think that "a hundred" is okay in casual conversation when talking about approximate value. Other than that situation, "one hundred" seems better.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wednesday|1421592584|3818409 said:
With Google, I can usually answer my questions. But yesterday I was thinking about the letter grading system they use in schools, and wondered what happened to the letter E. You can get an A, B, C, D, or F at most schools. Where is the E?

I looked up the answer but I am not completely satisfied. :lol:

The high school I went to had A through F including E. Both E and F were failing, but with an E during a quarter you could still pass for the year if your numerical average was high enough. Teachers were supposed to reserve a quarter F grade for someone they deemed unfit to pass for the year, no matter what the student did for the rest of the year. I don't remember this happening to anyone but I remember teachers threatening that an F quarter grade would be the punishment for cheating.

Also, before the advent of computer printed report cards, both E and F grades were written in red ink. This was to prevent a student from altering an E or F into a B (which would have been in black ink).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modified Brilliant|1421515425|3818058 said:
I think either is correct.

I think in many languages, one/a are the same word.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a tv show I watch called "The 100". For some reason it is called "the hundred" instead of "the one hundred". It may be correct either way, but it drives me nuts. I'm old school on so many things.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Dwarfs vs. Dwarves.

It's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. But I always want to say "dwarves", just like "knives". No one else seems to have this problem.

I've read about the dwarfs/dwarves thing before. Apparently dwarves was made popular by Tolkien in order to distinguish his dwarVES from oridinary dwarFS or something like that....I'll go read about it again after this post.

Anyway, point being, I can't seem to correct my language and still use dwarves instead of dwarfs.

And what about shimps? I hear people pluralize "shrimp" often, in person and on cooking shows etc...I thought shrimp was like 'fish' and didn't need an 's'?

Also, does anyone remember the name of the business website that provides user reviews of online stores? I can never remember it! Not yelp...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results