shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice - Diamond Dealer won't honor return policy

DJHoliday

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1421191808|3815987 said:
Doesn't JVC's mediation service require his cooperation and participation; any reason to think Mr. Sleaze Bucket won't just thumb his nose at JVC's invite?

I'd be thinking "a [good-sized] bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" & take him up on his last offer, assuming the refund was (a) being paid in a means acceptable to me, and (b) an unconditional one (didn't require me to sign an Agreement forfeiting, e.g., my right to sue him for the so-called "restocking fee" so I'd have that as an option if I decided I wanted to head into Small Claims Court). But I gather that doesn't hold appeal for you.

My personal integrity prevents me from tricking him into thinking he has made a deal and then bringing a suit for the rest. I don't want to make a deal in bad faith regardless of whether he did.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Molly- but I'd even just take the $1000 loss, and agree not to sue subsequent.
it's an expensive lesson- but the stress of trying to eek out the last grand ( which you surely deserve) may not be worth what it costs......

ETA- once you have the funds back in hand, you might want to reveal the name......what's the likelihood the slimebag can prevent you from outing him on the web?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DJHoliday|1421192312|3815989 said:
Doesn't JVC's mediation service require his cooperation and participation; any reason to think Mr. Sleaze Bucket won't just thumb his nose at JVC's invite?

I'd be thinking "a [good-sized] bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" & take him up on his last offer, assuming the refund was (a) being paid in a means acceptable to me, and (b) an unconditional one (didn't require me to sign an Agreement forfeiting, e.g., my right to sue him for the so-called "restocking fee" so I'd have that as an option if I decided I wanted to head into Small Claims Court). But I gather that doesn't hold appeal for you.

My personal integrity prevents me from tricking him into thinking he has made a deal and then bringing a suit for the rest. I don't want to make a deal in bad faith regardless of whether he did.
That's a commendable position to take. And I think you will benefit personally if you finalize a deal and free yourself from any further involvement with this guy.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DJHoliday|1421192312|3815989 said:

This still leaves me wondering as to what advantage(s) you see in repudiating his offer in favor of going forward with JVC.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rather than agree to his secret and quite arbitrary and unpublished $1000 restocking fee, consider using your good "paperwork" skills one more time. Line out all the practical avenues of recourse you have discovered. Then let him know that it would be in the interest of both of you to finalize this before it "gets out of hand". Offer to meet him half way- $500 to save you both alot of time and aggravation.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I hope you resolve this by the return deadline because once it has passed he probably will be less likely to cooperate (give you your money less the $1,000). What ever happened with negotiating that $1,000 down to $500? Did he accept?

I would be nervous about loosing all that money less $1,000 in the hopes JVC will get it all back for me minus $150 :confused: . I'm glad you have shared your story so we can all learn from it. :read:

I would have taken the money and ran, but not before negotiating a bit like you did. :bigsmile:

Looking forward to seeing what JVC will do if you didn't run. I have never heard of them before this.

DJHoliday

Rough_Rock
So I went to the JVC, simply based on the fact that the owner claimed the JVC wouldn't help me and wouldn't budge on his restocking fee of 1000$ even after I tried to negotiate with him and offered him the 150$ I'd have to pay the JVC as a restock fee. Well, the JVC did take my case and spoke with the owners, and some how, some way, they must have convinced the mediator to agree that an appraisal from the IGI in New York is somehow needed and if IGI appraises my stone for less than I paid, I will receive my money back. I responded by telling the mediator that I already spent 250$ for an appraisal done with the highest standards and the highest code of ethics, and my research (based on the great information provided in this thread) has led me to believe that the IGI will massively inflate the appraisal, and I will lose if I agree to this. I understand that the JVC is in no way binding to me and I am awaiting a response.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, while I appreciate that you're trying to go through the "proper" channels, a crook is a crook and now you're in the position that even if you leave negative feedback online, you may not have any leverage there since he can point out that the JVC required an IGI appraisal. Tough luck, man. I still hope it's able to somehow be resolved in your favor.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mediation only works if both sides agree. You do not agree to the IGI. Then propose back something else.

I wouldn't agree to IGI either.

DJHoliday

Rough_Rock
I decided not to go the IGI and expressed my discontent that the JVC would want me to go there. Their response was that nobody inflates when the JVC is looking. They really proved to be helpless to me so I called the dealer one more time and settled for a 700$ haircut and was able to return the diamond. I just wanted to be done. I guess the moral of the story I suppose is to buy a diamond prepared, don't rely on a store return policy once you've exchanged money unless you are going to Tiffany's... and get an appraisal BEFORE you buy the diamond.

That being said, I'd really appreciate if I could get some recommendations about where to shop in Manhattan now that I have to do this all over again??????

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DJHoliday|1421697138|3818989 said:
I decided not to go the IGI and expressed my discontent that the JVC would want me to go there. Their response was that nobody inflates when the JVC is looking. They really proved to be helpless to me so I called the dealer one more time and settled for a 700$ haircut and was able to return the diamond. I just wanted to be done. I guess the moral of the story I suppose is to buy a diamond prepared, don't rely on a store return policy once you've exchanged money unless you are going to Tiffany's... and get an appraisal BEFORE you buy the diamond.

That being said, I'd really appreciate if I could get some recommendations about where to shop in Manhattan now that I have to do this all over again??????
DJ, as bitter a pill as this is to swallow, I think you did the right thing for your own sanity. And my bet is that when it is all said and done and you have your ultimate diamond, it will be at least $700 better value than you would have had without going through these fires.

Also you will have the satisfaction of knowing that in documenting your experience here, you will no doubt be saving others from a similar fate.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DJ- to me, the moral of the story is:
1) Research the dealer
2) make sure to get an UNCONDITIONAL money back guarantee
3) stick with stones graded by GIA or AGSL

The guy who took you would not have let you take the stone out for an appraisal before you paid probably- and any dealer interested in their reputation, and offering a money back guarantee will honor it regardless of appraisal.....

Sorry about the $700 haircut, but you'll do a lot better this time....

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DJHoliday|1421697138|3818989 said:

I'm sorry you had to go through this but you learned a very important lesson, you came out of this most better than many who have come before you. usually for the diamond district we recommend ID jewelry. They have a strong following here, make an appointment if you can and mention you're a PS member. You can post anything they come up with here first for reviews before you buy. Good luck!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to hear that you were able to ditch the diamond & got all but $700 back; you'll doubtlessly recoup that in terms of price and/or value as you move forward, with our very best wishes!

In addition to ID Jewelry for 1-stop (diamond and well-crafted mountings), in-person shopping in the Diamond District, I also suggest Brilliantly Engaged and Eternity by Yoni; as with IDJ, tell them that you are a PSer:
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/

All 3 have a general, 30-day full refund policy. But in the case of custom orders,
* ID Jewelry advises you they issue no refunds on special orders:
http://www.idjewelry.com/30-day-returns/

* Brilliantly Engaged will issue a full refund on the center stone, but there is no refund for a custom mounting (or the preceding design fee):
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/site-page/returnpolicy.html

* Eternity by Yoni will issue a full refund on the center stone AND 70% of the custom mounting's cost (purchase price less 30% restocking fee) -- see his FAQ #15;
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/faq.php

Greenwich Jewelers downtown on Trinity Place has a wide variety (vintage style, traditional, contemporary) of mountings-completed rings if you -- and your intended? (don't know if she will be part of the process, but I'll strongly encourage that) -- would like to generally explore what is most appealing; I've not been there very recently, but I always liked the staff there:
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are you looking for?
Some vendors are better than others depending on what you want to buy. And what is your budget?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1421701968|3819014 said:
What are you looking for?
Some vendors are better than others depending on what you want to buy. And what is your budget?
Following up on Gypsy's query... think it would be best for you to start a new thread with an initiating post that outlines your budget parameters, etc. since the subject header on this thread doesn't let people know you're now on a new & different quest.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1421697635|3818994 said:
DJ, as bitter a pill as this is to swallow, I think you did the right thing for your own sanity. And my bet is that when it is all said and done and you have your ultimate diamond, it will be at least $700 better value than you would have had without going through these fires.

Also you will have the satisfaction of knowing that in documenting your experience here, you will no doubt be saving others from a similar fate.

+1

While losing the $700 (not to mention the time and headaches involved) is very frustrating, the knowledge and support you have gained through PriceScope will, no doubt, make the diamond you ultimately end up with very satisfying. Use the experts and advice here as much as possible!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed. Small price to pay to be rid of this dishonest jerk, and this poor performer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooo glad you got most of your money back! I'd disclose the name of the store unless you agreed not to do so.

You've been told of several jewelers known on PS, but I wanted to add one nearby. I have bought more than one diamond from Good Old Gold on Long Island. They specialize in well cut diamonds and have an unconditional return policy. They also have a 100% value upgrade policy and are HONEST!!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been following your story even though I didn't have anything to contribute to the thread. I'm glad you emerged from this relatively unscathed - and I'm so impressed by Molly Malone and the others who helped you through this with expert advice. :appl:

Good luck with this next round. I'm glad you're going into it better armed than before!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been following this saga as well & very happy this ended in a positive step forward for you. Please start a thread for a new stone, start ** FRESH **. :clap:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
MollyMalone|1421700305|3819005 said:
Happy to hear that you were able to ditch the diamond & got all but $700 back; you'll doubtlessly recoup that in terms of price and/or value as you move forward, with our very best wishes!

In addition to ID Jewelry for 1-stop (diamond and well-crafted mountings), in-person shopping in the Diamond District, I also suggest Brilliantly Engaged and Eternity by Yoni; as with IDJ, tell them that you are a PSer:
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/

All 3 have a general, 30-day full refund policy. But in the case of custom orders,
* ID Jewelry advises you they issue no refunds on special orders:
http://www.idjewelry.com/30-day-returns/

* Brilliantly Engaged will issue a full refund on the center stone, but there is no refund for a custom mounting (or the preceding design fee):
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/site-page/returnpolicy.html

* Eternity by Yoni will issue a full refund on the center stone AND 70% of the custom mounting's cost (purchase price less 30% restocking fee) -- see his FAQ #15;
http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/faq.php

Greenwich Jewelers downtown on Trinity Place has a wide variety (vintage style, traditional, contemporary) of mountings-completed rings if you -- and your intended? (don't know if she will be part of the process, but I'll strongly encourage that) -- would like to generally explore what is most appealing; I've not been there very recently, but I always liked the staff there:
http://www.greenwichjewelers.com/

I'm in Battery Park city and have used Greenwich Jewelers many times in the past, for settings and smaller items. They really are great. Just wondering if they can compete with online vendors on diamond prices.

Another one to add to the list is http://www.jamesallen.com/
They have an office on 47th st. But you need to call and make an appointment. I've purchased many smaller diamonds from (half carats) them and a few eternity bands. They've never disappointed me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results