shape
carat
color
clarity

Thining hair ladies - any tips??

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, so sorry to hear you're under the weather ::) Nothing too serious i hope? And i totally understand about hair being the last worry on your list. I felt i needed a reality check when mine was falling out, as its only hair, right?! In the grand scheme, it does seem like it needs to be put into perspective. Similarly it's horribly distressing ;( How is your leg coming on? And how did your hubby get on with those biopsies?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, so sorry to hear you're under the weather ::) Nothing too serious i hope? And i totally understand about hair being the last worry on your list. I felt i needed a reality check when mine was falling out, as its only hair, right?! In the grand scheme, it does seem like it needs to be put into perspective. Similarly it's horribly distressing ;( How is your leg coming on? And how did your hubby get on with those biopsies?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check folic acid levels with the thinning hair.

Missy honey... hugs. Huge hugs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex, my dh is doing very well and I am coming along with the leg. Walking as often as I can. I have come a long way since June. Thank you for asking.

Gypsy, thank you. I love your hugs and I am sending huge (((hugs))) to you too.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy - good on you for getting better & keeping positive =)

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to add my story for anyone who may find this thread later, or have any wisdom to share.

I'm 36 and also experiencing increased shedding / hair loss. I noticed it starting ~Aug last year, but didn't really start to worry until ~Nov when I noticed my ponytail was thinner and that my scalp was showing more when I parted my hair in various places.

I decided to wait a bit to see what happened. The shedding continued. In December I started doing research online to get some ideas of what it could be (I am a research/data junkie). I found all sorts of information on possible diagnoses and causes.

Finally I went to a dermatologist a few weeks ago. He took my history, looked at the front of my scalp, did a quick pull test, then diagnosed Telogen Effluvium (TE), the acute variety (for now). We think the trigger was a head injury I suffered ~June, a few months before I noticed the shedding. He said the shedding could last up to 6 months (we're at ~5 months now), but that once it's done, all my hair should re-grow back like before.

He suggested no treatments other than Biotin and Zinc for the moment. He said I *could* consider Rogaine (minoxidil), but he didn't suggest that yet, he thinks it will clear up on its own. (BTW - the makers of Rogaine don't suggest their product for TE, but I did notice some doctors feel it can help slow/prevent further loss.)

I don't feel 100% confident in the diagnosis... I don't see much re-growth yet, and I also noticed that some portion of the hairs that are still falling out appear to be young hairs - short (eg: 2 inches) and quite fine. That's a bit concerning.

I'm torn - I know TE can signal the start of androgenic alopecia (female pattern baldness) OR become chronic if the trigger factor(s) are not addressed. I'm not sure how long I should let the hair loss continue before I try some kind of proactive treatment. I'm starting to feel bothered by the continuing loss and the noticeable decrease in hair fullness. My hair was always fine and thin to begin with, so I don't have much to work with. Boo.

I have a follow-up with the derm scheduled for February, we'll see what he says then.

If you have any experience with this, feel free to share.

Anne

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Anne, I am sorry you are dealing with this. I know nothing about TE but certainly do not think getting another opinion is a bad idea. You are still within the time frame your dermatologist discussed with you re hair shedding but I can understand why you might be anxious (what woman wouldn't be) and I think a second opinion is a good idea.

I would not start any of those hair loss drugs unless you really have to because (and I could be wrong on this) once you start them you have to continue taking them or the effects are lost. Again not sure why I have that in my head but for some reason I remember that fact.

Biotin and zinc are good supplements to take but make sure you take the zinc with food because it can make you nauseous on an empty stomach. I was taking hair vitamins (Viviscal) that were helping my hair thinning/loss but stopped them when I developed weird symptoms last winter. The supplements probably had nothing to do with my symptoms but I stopped all supplements at that time and now am scared to go back on those.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say I hope all turns out well for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results