shape
carat
color
clarity

Lions and Tigers and Tahitians oh my!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Long time Pricescoper, but mostly lurk these days. I am going to treat myself to a strand of Tahitian pearls. I don't want to spend over $1200. I am having a hard time narrowing down what overtones I like. I seem to like them all. So I have thought of a multicolor strand. Do those of you who have one like it? Or perhaps I should just make up my weak mind.I have looked at lots of threads which have been helpful. I like FlyGirl's strand that she posted in July of this year I think? Does that one have peacock overtones? Actually FlyGirl if you see this I just covet your jewelry period.

Right now I have a strand of freshwaters from Pearls of Joy that are metallic lavender/peach which I really like. But I have always wanted either a Tahitian pendant or strand. Any thoughts? I'm not even sure how to go about this. Thank you pearl aficionados.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
LOL. Thank you for your kind words, Cind11. I wear my pearls most days, and I truly enjoy the look and the variety of colors that they provide.

Nacrelover also has a gorgeous round multicolor Tahitian strand that she says she wears most days. I think such a strand is a worthy goal, but I love wearing my baroque peacock Tahitians from the Pearl Paradise August sale as well. They have greener, rather than grayer, body color and I love the pops of pink and red that show up in various lighting.

Pearls are rather like flowers...all beautiful and so hard to select just one.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I've had my multi color everyday strand since 2005. It goes with everything and I never get tired of reaching for it. The size is sometimes too large so I will grab a smaller MM strand or pendant. This strand has been the most expensive strand I own but if you factor in wear time, the best purchase I've made.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I also purchased three 8-11mm multi color strands and made a rope using HHPmom's technique of mixing the pearls in a bowl and pouring them onto a bead board. Most Tahitian solid color strands have a range of clothing in your closet that really makes them POP. Multi color strands have much more flexibility and will look great with more items in your closet. Matching Tahitian earrings in your collection will be no problem as all will work with the strand. Look for the most colorful strand you can find with pretty overtones.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I adore my tahitian rope and wear it often. I find the drop shape of the pearls to be very wearable and am comfortable in either business or casual dress with them. I've added photos which attempt to show the multi color nature of my strand...they are chameleons in that they change with what you wear, so if you are uncertain, I would encourage a multi color strand. For your budget, you should be able to get a wonderful necklace!
img_1105_2.jpg img_1100_0.jpg img_1122_0.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
+1 for multicolor strand too. You can also consider getting a detachable bracelet so that you can wear your strand long or short. Plus it's so nice to be able to stare at pretty pearls when they are on your wrist.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I wear my PP multicolour Tahitian drop strand regularly. Mine is actually a long rope that I converted to 18" and 19" strands with Orbit clasps that I can wear together or separately. Your budget probably won't cover 2 stands, but will easily cover 1 strand and maybe a matching detachable bracelet like Icy Jade suggested. I don't mind at all that the Orbit clasps are visible when I combine my 2 strands as a long rope or lariat, because the clasps look like pretty gold link design details.

The Orbit clasps:

This photo is bad lighting for the pearls, but gives you an idea how it would look to join a necklace and bracelet into a longer necklace with the clasp visible.

_26081.jpg

lariat_double_without_2.jpg

_26082.jpg

double5-2.png

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
FYI, my rope (35") was about $1300 during the PP tahitian sale.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1421410623|3817303 said:
LOL. Thank you for your kind words, Cind11. I wear my pearls most days, and I truly enjoy the look and the variety of colors that they provide.

Nacrelover also has a gorgeous round multicolor Tahitian strand that she says she wears most days. I think such a strand is a worthy goal, but I love wearing my baroque peacock Tahitians from the Pearl Paradise August sale as well. They have greener, rather than grayer, body color and I love the pops of pink and red that show up in various lighting.

Pearls are rather like flowers...all beautiful and so hard to select just one.

So Pearl Paradise has a sale in August? Any other times of the year? Mother's Day? I like that particular strand of yours. :) I like beautiful things so it would be hard to only pick one.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1421418410|3817359 said:
I also purchased three 8-11mm multi color strands and made a rope using HHPmom's technique of mixing the pearls in a bowl and pouring them onto a bead board. Most Tahitian solid color strands have a range of clothing in your closet that really makes them POP. Multi color strands have much more flexibility and will look great with more items in your closet. Matching Tahitian earrings in your collection will be no problem as all will work with the strand. Look for the most colorful strand you can find with pretty overtones.

Glad to hear you wear your multicolor strand frequently. Is your rope the one I think that is 51" long? It's beautiful. I really want to be able to wear the one I get with multiple outfits.

*strands I meant

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Pirard|1421421132|3817394 said:
I adore my tahitian rope and wear it often. I find the drop shape of the pearls to be very wearable and am comfortable in either business or casual dress with them. I've added photos which attempt to show the multi color nature of my strand...they are chameleons in that they change with what you wear, so if you are uncertain, I would encourage a multi color strand. For your budget, you should be able to get a wonderful necklace!
img_1105_2.jpg img_1100_0.jpg img_1122_0.jpg

Your rope is just lovely. Where did you purchase it?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1421426706|3817428 said:
+1 for multicolor strand too. You can also consider getting a detachable bracelet so that you can wear your strand long or short. Plus it's so nice to be able to stare at pretty pearls when they are on your wrist.

This is a great idea. I will make some calls on Monday and mention this. Thanks for the tip.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Kay|1421434223|3817533 said:
I wear my PP multicolour Tahitian drop strand regularly. Mine is actually a long rope that I converted to 18" and 19" strands with Orbit clasps that I can wear together or separately. Your budget probably won't cover 2 stands, but will easily cover 1 strand and maybe a matching detachable bracelet like Icy Jade suggested. I don't mind at all that the Orbit clasps are visible when I combine my 2 strands as a long rope or lariat, because the clasps look like pretty gold link design details.

The Orbit clasps:

This photo is bad lighting for the pearls, but gives you an idea how it would look to join a necklace and bracelet into a longer necklace with the clasp visible.

Thanks Kay. Great to see some different looks. It helps to have flexibility. I do like the bracelet idea if my budget allows. Your strands are smashing.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Pirard|1421435241|3817547 said:
FYI, my rope (35") was about $1300 during the PP tahitian sale.

Perhaps I shoukd wait for a sale except I want instant gratification. What time of year was the sale?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The ruckus is in July. Valentines day Feb. and Mother's day May.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Seems like waiting for the sale would be a sensible idea as it's just around the corner. If it were just a pair of earring or such..then it's not a big deal..but you might be looking at saving hundreds...then you could get the earrings too lol

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I am not too keen on multi-colour strands as I find them difficult to co-ordinate with my clothes as they are mostly very colourful in their own right.

Good luck with your search.

DK :))

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have also purchased other colorful pearls along the way to add into my multi color strand. This changes the look and makes it a new look. When I want a longer strand I can either remove pearls from the rope to add in, or add a bracelet to the back of the strand.

_26124.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased my pearls during the Tahitian summer sale at PP. I am sure if you reach out to their customer service they will be able to give you a good idea when future sales might be in store.

As for the multi-color and matching to clothing, I find that if I am wearing a color, say purple red or pink, the cherry tones dominate the strand and the remainder look green. If I am wearing blue green or grey, then the greens are met with flashes of pinks and purples from the strand. If I wear multi colors or neutrals (black, tan, earth tones) then the strand shows its colors in full glory. But it is a personal choice and often one that is made with a particular strand in mind. Shape also plays a role, as some of my pearls have two or even three different colors which pop at different angles.

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1421505216|3817990 said:
I have also purchased other colorful pearls along the way to add into my multi color strand. This changes the look and makes it a new look. When I want a longer strand I can either remove pearls from the rope to add in, or add a bracelet to the back of the strand.

NacreLover, that strand is simply wonderful! Thank you for sharing that photo...now I need to wipe my face off.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
:dance: I love that multicolour strand. Cind11 I am looking forward to seeing your future new strand.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1421471783|3817872 said:
The ruckus is in July. Valentines day Feb. and Mother's day May.

Thank you!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
katbran|1421493829|3817944 said:
Seems like waiting for the sale would be a sensible idea as it's just around the corner. If it were just a pair of earring or such..then it's not a big deal..but you might be looking at saving hundreds...then you could get the earrings too lol

Does everything on the site go on sale?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1421494382|3817948 said:
Personally I am not too keen on multi-colour strands as I find them difficult to co-ordinate with my clothes as they are mostly very colourful in their own right.

Good luck with your search.

DK :))

Thanks for your opinion. I like to get differing opinions. Good point. I do have lots of patterned clothing.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock

This is a gorgeous strand. Nice to have options on length.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Pirard|1421514922|3818051 said:
I purchased my pearls during the Tahitian summer sale at PP. I am sure if you reach out to their customer service they will be able to give you a good idea when future sales might be in store.

As for the multi-color and matching to clothing, I find that if I am wearing a color, say purple red or pink, the cherry tones dominate the strand and the remainder look green. If I am wearing blue green or grey, then the greens are met with flashes of pinks and purples from the strand. If I wear multi colors or neutrals (black, tan, earth tones) then the strand shows its colors in full glory. But it is a personal choice and often one that is made with a particular strand in mind. Shape also plays a role, as some of my pearls have two or even three different colors which pop at different angles.

Hmm this is good to know. The pearls sound like chameleons. I will call PP.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Lovinggems|1421526576|3818138 said:
:dance: I love that multicolour strand. Cind11 I am looking forward to seeing your future new strand.

I am looking forward to it too. Wish I was more decisive.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock

NacreLover, where did you get this strand? It really is divine.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
The Pearl source.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing Tahitian strands, everyone! Mmmm I was on the lookout for a nice baroque strand in only one colour but this makes me think maybe I should go for a multicolour. It's hard to tell without seeing them on one's skin tone, I guess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results