shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting online purchased diamond set in local store setting.

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock
So I sm buying a loose diamond on blue Nile I found.

The setting I am getting is from a local store. I need to obviously get the stone installed for an engagement ring.

I spoke with local jeweler and they said they can't guarantee the install from chipping diamond etc. Is that normal practice to not guarantee setting if diamond is not purchased from them.

The only place I found that setting was from this place. Unworried about having stone installed where they are saying if it's chipped they are not responsible.

What options do I have?

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Getting online purchased diamond set in local store sett

I am almost positive that jeweler's mutual insurance will insure your loose diamond during the setting process, as long as you get them the info on the diamond and the setting. They won't insure a loose stone you have lying around, but if you are having it set you can get it covered.

And yes, it is common for the local jeweler not to take responsibility for an outside diamond.

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

So that would be a 3rd party insurance company I would have to get to cover it during mounting?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ryangreene555|1421475562|3817884 said:

The setting I am getting is from a local store. I need to obviously get the stone installed for an engagement ring.

I spoke with local jeweler and they said they can't guarantee the install from chipping diamond etc. Is that normal practice to not guarantee setting if diamond is not purchased from them.

The only place I found that setting was from this place. Unworried about having stone installed where they are saying if it's chipped they are not responsible.

What options do I have?

I'd buy the stone and setting from the same business ... especially if it is a princess cut which have corners that are vulnerable to snapping off, or any shape of very low clarity like SI2 or I1 or I2 with feathers near the girdle.

I'd just get a setting that Bluenile has.
IMO, to do otherwise is not worth the risk.

It sucks that business want you to buy BOTH the stone and the setting, but this is their game.

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

Blue Nile does not have the setting that my gf loved so unfortunately that is not an option.

Diamond is a round brilliant vs2 1.33ct.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ryangreene555|1421477229|3817893 said:
Blue Nile does not have the setting that my gf loved so unfortunately that is not an option.

Diamond is a round brilliant vs2 1.33ct.

Then I'd get the diamond from the vendor with the setting she simply must have.

Then again if it's a round GRADED BY GIA OR AGS, and there are no feathers near the girdle and the girdle is medium or thicker I'd just not worry and take the low risk since damage to the stone while setting is very unlikely unless the bench-person is incompetent ... but then you have no recourse.

Is the seller of the setting reputable?

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

It's a local b&m store. They don't have any good deals on loose diamonds. Can get nice ones by 5k+ more expensive than blue Nile.

The stone I'm looking at is Gia cert with medium to slightly thick girdle.

He said it's very rare to chip a diamond but said it has happened there before. Most likely was saying it just to make me worried about buying a diamond elsewhere.

LoubieLove

Rough_Rock

I bought my diamond online from JA and had it set at my local jeweler. JA doesn't sell Tacori and I had my heart set on that, so I understand your dilemma. I have a policy through Jewelers Mutual and they cover the mounting process. Their prices are very reasonable. It may be worth it to buy a policy and then cancel after the first year if you feel like you don't need it.

Good Luck!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock

I've done this a few times.

And yes, it's normal practice. Most jewelers don't want to be liable for a stone not purchased through them.

In the past, I had Jewelers Mutual insure it while it was still loose.

Give them a call, it's your best option.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Its not the end of the world to have your stone set somewhere else. Lots of people on here do it.

Yes, you'd want to insure it. Jewelers mutual will insure a loose stone during the setting process- just in case something does happen. I would recommend this. Better safe than sorry.

They prefer to insure jewelry, not loose stones, but they will insure it until it is set.

http://www.perfectcircleinsurance.com

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Just a thought here. If you have homeowner's insurance, jewelry is often covered up to a maximum amount (our policy is $10,000). You could check your policy to see if you're covered in this instance. I've bought loose diamonds and had them set with local jewellers, and I've had settings changed to new ones and never had any issues. This is pretty common. Good luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kmarla|1421503046|3817975 said:
Just a thought here. If you have homeowner's insurance, jewelry is often covered up to a maximum amount (our policy is $10,000). You could check your policy to see if you're covered in this instance. I've bought loose diamonds and had them set with local jewellers, and I've had settings changed to new ones and never had any issues. This is pretty common. Good luck!

True a lot of homeowners insurance does have special limits for jewelry, but read the jacket and make sure. Is it just for theft or mysterious disappearance? Because that wouldn't cover damage under setting.

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone. I'll call up that insurance company Monday and see what it would cost to add ring to a policy. It would give me some peace of mind!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ryangreene555|1421475562|3817884 said:

What options do I have?

Off topic, I know, but are you by any chance a "car guy"? I laughed so many times reading your post and about "installing" the diamond. My husband is a car guy which is why I noticed.

On topic, get the diamond insured for setting.

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

haha yes I am a car guy!! Own an online car performance shop haha. Good call!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ryangreene555|1421512260|3818028 said:

LOL I can spot your breed from far away! I'm not sure what your specialty is but my DH is a former DSM guy and now has a Focus ST.

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

Asscherhalo_lover|1421512896|3818034 said:

LOL I can spot your breed from far away! I'm not sure what your specialty is but my DH is a former DSM guy and now has a Focus ST.

hahah!

I actually used to own a DSM before as well. Currently have an S2000 and legacy GT and MDX now. I really like those Focus ST's!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ryangreene555|1421513046|3818036 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1421512896|3818034 said:

hahah!

I actually used to own a DSM before as well. Currently have an S2000 and legacy GT and MDX now. I really like those Focus ST's!

Nice collection! Make sure you post the ring here when it's set!

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

Thanks. Yeah I definitely will! Will be a couple of weeks until the setting and diamond are both in I think. Hoping the diamond looks nice in person! Hate buying things like that online but so overpriced locally.

Ryangreene555

Rough_Rock

Well the diamond I was buying I was told by bn that there was a delay with that one so looks like it may be out.

I found this stone which looks to have great dimensions etc and definitely eye clean being a vs1.

It is I color though so slightly nervous of that. Being a round brilliant and ideal cut gia I would think it wouldn't really be noticeable once mounted.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05375262?track=Detlink3

Any input on that stone? It got a 0.9 on hca report so it should be a great performing diamond I woukd think.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results