shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with this 2.3 Asscher Cut

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ASET corresponds well with the picture. There is a good bit of mush/leakage under the table.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tons of leakage (the white areas) in that ASET. :knockout:

It's sold.
If you bought it I'd return it and keep shopping.

Leakage is when light leaks out the bottom of the diamond instead of being reflected back up to your eyes.
It causes a dull lifeless stone instead of a brilliant one with fire.
Like Chrono pointed out, notice how the areas that are white in the center zone of the ASET are dark in the regular pic.
Why do they cut them with leakage? To save weight.
If it was better cut it would be less than 2.3 carat.
Everyone understands carat weight but few understand good cut ... so ... as they say ... follow the money.

Next the IF clarity.
I love high clarity for the mind-cleanness.
Perhaps you do too and simply must have an IF.

But do you know it does nothing for appearance?
Clarity inclusions for VS1 and above are not visible to the naked eye.
Nearly all VS2s are eye clean too, but the large long facets of asschers are notorious for not hiding inclusions as well as the small facets of many other cuts.
Inclusions usually become increasingly visible the further you go below VS2.
That means with an IF you are paying TONS of money for something you can't see.

Next clarity does nothing to improve the light performance ... again unless you get down to the extreemely polluted clarities at the opposite end of the scale.
VVS1, VVS2, VS1, and possibly VS2 will look identical to an IF asscher without magnification, but be much cheaper or allow you to get a larger diamond for the same budget.

If you already knew this and still want an IF, fine.
Get an IF ... just not this one with it's poor light performance.

screen_shot_2015-01-16_at_1.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Octavia is the same exact weight but the measurements 7.39 x 7.40 x 5.55mm. GIA assigns ideal cut for Asscher?... :confused:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1421430960|3817489 said:
My Octavia is the same exact weight but the measurements 7.39 x 7.40 x 5.55mm. GIA assigns ideal cut for Asscher?... :confused:

No.
GIA does not grade cut for asschers.
Enchanted Diamonds does, and clearly has crappy standards.
That's a huge red flag ... I'd cross this vendor off my list.

Contact Jonathan at Good Old Gold.
He may not have one with your specs listed on his site now, but he knows how to get very very well-cut asschers.
I know because I've bought 3 from him.

screen_shot_2015-01-16_at_0.png

screen_shot_2015-01-16_at_10.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="kenny|

Contact Jonathan at Good Old Gold.
He may not have one with your specs listed on his site now, but he knows how to get very very well-cut asschers.
I know because I've bought 3 from him.[/quote]

Yup, He is the man to contact for high performance Asschers!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Leakage" is an essential element of many well cut diamonds.
Light is not like water in it's properties- which is why the term leakage is so inappropriate.

What if light is entering the diamond in the areas shown as white on ASET and coming out the top?
This is not hypothetical, because that's what it does in the cases of well cut "spready" diamonds.

Large areas of leakage can be problematic. But leakage itself is not a negative element in any way.
Red is not "better" than white or green.
You need all three in the right proportions.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
**edited by moderator. Personal attacks will not be tolerated on the forum**

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1421434301|3817534 said:
Light is not like water in it's properties- which is why the term leakage is so inappropriate.

What if light is entering the diamond in the areas shown as white on ASET and coming out the top?
This is not hypothetical, because that's what it does in the cases of well cut "spready" diamonds.

Large areas of leakage can be problematic. But leakage itself is not a negative element in any way.
David

Here we go again!... :lol: besides, this is not a spready Asscher. my Asscher is the same weight but at 7.4mm, so I'm assuming that the OP's stone is hiding weight somewhere?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1421435280|3817548 said:

David

Here we go again!... :lol: besides, this is not a spready Asscher. my Asscher is the same weight but at 7.4mm, so I'm assuming that the OP's stone is hiding weight somewhere?

Hi DF,
I am not commenting on any specific stone, rather leakage, and white in aset in general.

SMLAWNYC- general advice:
1) if you're not familiar with how to read ASET, try to get pictures and video
2) make sure you research your seller
3) make sure you get a money back guarantee.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1421434676|3817539 said:
**edited by moderator. Personal attacks will not be tolerated on the forum**.

LOL, you are now entering the Twilight Zone...where light performance in diamonds is no longer a science. Oh brother!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ariel144|1421436858|3817570 said:
**edited by moderator. Personal attacks will not be tolerated on the forum**

LOL, you are now entering the Twilight Zone...where light performance in diamonds is no longer a science. Oh brother!

Don't listen to all that science and edjumaction mumbo jumbo.
You can't trust smart people.
Just follow your heart ... and buy whatever I sell. :Up_to_something: :lol:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If that were true then every cutter on earth would be shooting for a 1ct 6.7mm "spready" pancake MRB.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ariel144|1421436858|3817570 said:
**edited by moderator. Personal attacks will not be tolerated on the forum**.

No, you're entering a place where a few extremely dedicated posters refuse to discuss an alternative opinion, instead relying on bullying tactics to try and silence a way to look at and assess diamonds they don't understand- but then of course they have to plug plug plug a seller.
Who's selling here exactly?
I'm answering a consumers question.
Other people seem to be doing some selling

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Enough everyone. Polite discourse is welcome but personal attacks will not be tolerated. Keep it to the facts without the attacks please.

SMLAWNYC

Rough_Rock
Rock Diamond - what are your thoughts on this specific stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SMLAWNYC|1421440099|3817620 said:
Rock Diamond - what are your thoughts on this specific stone?
Vendors are not allowed to comment on another vendor's diamond, as stated in the PS forum rules.

SMLAWNYC

Rough_Rock
Jeez you guys are all so damn snarky. Insane amount of attitude...brutal people, brutal.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a lot of backstory to this, spanning several years. I'm sorry to see it blown up in your thread.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi SMLAWNYC
Forum rules prohibit me from commenting on the stone of another vendor.
Suffice it to say as a general comment- I would not be so quick to knock any stone based on leakage in ASET.
If I was shopping, Id want to see better imagery.

There's many different "flavors" of Asscher cuts within the umbrella of "Well cut"- this is true for all the diamond cuts.
An issue I find on this forum is that when consumers ask for advice here they are pointed to whichever seller the person answering likes.
As you can see from the post count, there's some dedicated consumers posting here. Many of the prolific posters offer really nice advice.
Then you have a few others.....

If the seller the poster prefers holds a given opinion about cut, such as opinions about "leakage", dedicated poster takes it as gospel.

SO- my general advice is, get better imagery, both for yourself, as well as to post and get opinions from other consumers.
Thankfully, the general spirit of the forum is very helpful, and you will find many very nice people willing to help- unfortunately, it's mixed in with what you've seen here- but I'm sure you've got the tools to separate information and well thought out opinions, from all the other...stuff.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SMLAWNYC|1421440859|3817634 said:
Jeez you guys are all so damn snarky. Insane amount of attitude...brutal people, brutal.

SMLAWNYC:

I am sorry the thread came across as it did to you--PS is REALLY a great forum & a great place to read & enjoy the knowledge & love of all things bling. But if I may be so bold, as to suggest that this board is not brutal nor is not snarky or heartless. That is my & others experience ten fold.

Some here have a particular age-old disagreement with a certain viewpoint--& when this viewpoint (which is somewhat subjective rather than scientific) & opinion is expressed under cover of 'vendor' to a newb, its almost a miscarriage of the purpose of PS's reason for existence. That is, to learn the objective basis for selection, as opposed to the subjective basis. To help those who don't really know what to look for except for a subjective selection.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Normally I would not comment because the dealer is identified but because some very bad information has been posted I am posting to correct it.
Some leakage in the right places and in small amounts can be normal however this is a classic example of bad p3 angles and steep p2 angles which makes for a less than desirable diamond with lousy spread and very poor light return:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

michael_jackson.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sarahb|1421457177|3817782 said:

SMLAWNYC:

I am sorry the thread came across as it did to you--PS is REALLY a great forum & a great place to read & enjoy the knowledge & love of all things bling. But if I may be so bold, as to suggest that this board is not brutal nor is not snarky or heartless. That is my & others experience ten fold.

Some here have a particular age-old disagreement with a certain viewpoint--& when this viewpoint (which is somewhat subjective rather than scientific) & opinion is expressed under cover of 'vendor' to a newb, its almost a miscarriage of the purpose of PS's reason for existence. That is, to learn the objective basis for selection, as opposed to the subjective basis. To help those who don't really know what to look for except for a subjective selection.

Hi ,sarahb- your post is dripping in irony.
You tell the op what a nice environment PS is than dive right into snarky nasty accusations and insults.
The entire excersise of selecting a diamond is based on subjective aspects. If you or Karl or anyone else would like to discuss this in a civil manner it would look nothing like what we see here.
Instead of discussing leakage you simply insult the person who has any idea different from what you believe.
The real shame is that is is an interesting idea to many people- and that the attacks detract from the forum in general and drive people away.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1421499201|3817962 said:
sarahb|1421457177|3817782 said:

SMLAWNYC:

Hi ,sarahb- your post is dripping in irony.
You tell the op what a nice environment PS is than dive right into snarky nasty accusations and insults.
The entire excersise of selecting a diamond is based on subjective aspects. If you or Karl or anyone else would like to discuss this in a civil manner it would look nothing like what we see here.
Instead of discussing leakage you simply insult the person who has any idea different from what you believe.
The real shame is that is is an interesting idea to many people- and that the attacks detract from the forum in general and drive people away.

My post was not intended to insult a particular person, but to speak of PS in general. As for the rest, I have no comment.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How could anyone think I'm a trade member? (Here on PS I'm the polar-opposite of an @ss kisser.)

And who would register to post that? Clearly an existing member with no balls to stand behind their words.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1421522356|3818105 said:
How could anyone think I'm a trade member? (Here on PS I'm the polar-opposite of an @ss kisser.)

And who would register to post that? Clearly an existing member with no balls to stand behind their words.

Kenny FYI, 87% of the members here have "no balls"... :wink2: You and I are the few rarities on PS ... :praise:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Touché, DF.: sun:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have shown this forum to other trade members who were 1000% sure that the most dedicated cheerleader/ attackers were working with the trade.
I've spent enough time here to know for sure that Andrey runs a clean forum. Between Andrey and Ella such behavior won't be tolerated. So my response to trade member friends is that no, the consumers who are doing the cheerleading/ attacking are not trade members.
That does not mean I have an answer for the weird hostility- but it is easy to see how observers could question some posters motives.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results