shape
carat
color
clarity

setting for an aquamarine! (project for 2015)

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
so I bought this aquamarine from JD in Novemeber, and it's a pretty large one (12mm by 9mm by 6.93mm).

d008c3a31d57f27c22f559389573cff1.jpg

I would like to make it into a ring (possibly unplated wg again, as that seems my favorite metal and incidentally always a good match for the stones I like) - with almost no accent stones, and a nice basket that isn't too swirly or floral, but is elegant and classic (I wouldn't mind placing a couple diamonds at the edges, as I have a couple 3mm diamonds that could go very nicely). I would like this ring to both show off metal work and the large stone, which varies between green and blue :love:

please help with inspiration!! I will post some handshots soon!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about these ones:

green_cush_tourm_dia_3st-1.jpg

cushion-cut-diamond-engagement-rings-81.jpg

Looking forward to see the finished ring.

DK :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like how this looks

tourmaline4.jpg

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
I think your centre stone is a bit bigger but I've always liked this one...

rtmd0891.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

dk168 said:

Ohhh, DK, the first one is gorgeous. That gets my vote! :)

Can't wait to see what you do, sonyachancs. :appl:

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
you guys are so awesome!!!!

ok, first up: some handshots. dug out the ol' macro lens, and I think the colour is captured correctly, (as is JD's photo), but it is horrendously difficult to photograph. I've noticed this unphotogenic quality in all my stones, which are pale with chunky facets.

dsc09903.jpg
dsc09904.jpg
dsc09905.jpg
dsc09906.jpg
dsc09907.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer your pictures over his; it looks realistic and has some blue whereas his looks predominantly green.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
thank you, chrono! it's a tough one to shoot because it flashes green and blue in the light :d love it so very much though. have always liked JD's stones (almost all of mine are from him actually).

design:
definitely e-w oorientation. mmissed out on this for my ering! everything else is open though.

file-5.jpg
il_66.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like this. It could be done with one side stone, two or three as shown.

uploadfromtaptalk1421340112794.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1421270947|3816407 said:
How about these ones:

green_cush_tourm_dia_3st-1.jpg

cushion-cut-diamond-engagement-rings-81.jpg

Looking forward to see the finished ring.

dk168 - thanks for posting these - I particularly love the 1st setting - can you provide a link and/or vendor name? Thx

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the first setting that DK posted!!! It would be a great match with your lovely aqua

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone! I love that you are going to go east-west. Can't wait to hear/see what setting you decide on!

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
thanks for the support you all! :appl: now if only my ring aspirations would stop scaring my FI (who is taking it in his stride, and well, TBH, since I'm already in my second ring not even a year after the proposal)..

ok. EAST-WEST! (can you tell I am excited).

ONE
all my rings have had open baskets, and I think this time that I want a slightly decorative one, but all baskets seem to be swirly (which isn't my style). have you seen one that is modern and a bit cool but classic? (if not I will stick to an open)

TWO
has anyone seen a pair of spessartites or garnets in the 2-3 mm range? looking at placing two on the top and bottom of the basket area for interest.. I think red and orange would make a nice contrast to the aqua's colour.

perhaps a bit more orange than this one: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/NATURAL-...331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e32abfcb

v-rspt165-2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on the colors and the design, but I can easily see a deep red-orange and pale blue-green looking....not great together. So I'd recommend being really careful with that idea.

ETA: The deep red-orange could draw the eye away from the pale blue-green instead of complimenting it. The differing tones can really throw a look off easily.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild said:
It depends on the colors and the design, but I can easily see a deep red-orange and pale blue-green looking....not great together. So I'd recommend being really careful with that idea.

ETA: The deep red-orange could draw the eye away from the pale blue-green instead of complimenting it. The differing tones can really throw a look off easily.

Thanks, FrekeChild. I was hoping to bezel the small stones in a tricksy way and hide them in the basket so they aren't visible on the top view but makes the profile of the ring look interesting.

What about rhodolite? Sameish but more complementary with purpl-red hues?

rhodolite-garnet-gem-121515a_1.jpg
il_340x270_0.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Who is JD?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1421386462|3817239 said:
Who is JD?
Jeff Davies.

I think a purple-ish tone would probably be better. If it's on the sides, no big deal on the color, but so long as it's visible from the top view, I'd be very very careful about it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those colours might provide too strong a contrast and draw the eye away from your aquamarine instead of enhancing it as the centre stone. Also, remember that the more "stuff" you have covering the CS design-wise, the harder it is to clean it properly.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it is down to personal preferences. If I were to choose another colour for a pair of side stones, I would probably choose pink or purple and not orange or red.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results