shape
carat
color
clarity

What's the most $$$ you would wear on your finger?

most $$ for a ring

• Under 10K

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • 10-20K

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • 20-30K

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • 30-40K

Votes: 14 11.5%
  • 40-50K

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • 50-60K

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • 60-70K

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 70-80K

• 80-90K

• Over 100K

Votes: 29 23.8%

• Total voters

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So DF's very entertaining recent thread got me thinking about fund allocation. There were some comments about who should/could/would wear certain kind of a ring. Some comments focused on not spending money on other things to save for jewelry. Other comments discussed inherited or gifted jewelry, which could be worn or sold to fund other things.

So my question is what is the most money can you see yourself wearing on your finger? Not hypothetical money but one that you either earned or inherited. In your current lifestyle considering all other aspects of your life that need to be funded. This is obviously not directly related to how blingy the ring actually looks as it's possible to buy an ideal cut 2ct J/SI2 for the same amount as 1ct D/VVS1 and spend varying amount on the setting. I'm interested in the absolute sum.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Interesting thread, baby_monster. :lol:

I won't answer cause you know, I may offend someone. :devil:
Will be fun to read though.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not really concerned about what people do for a living or how they choose to allocate funds. No judgment.

This thought has been floating around in my head for some time. In addition to DF'S thread, one of my co workers recently made a comment about how much bling I was wearing on my finger.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
one finger?
some of us wear rings on many fingers.........

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie said:
one finger?
I understand and wholly support :clap: but this is not a question about your total jewelry portfolio. Maybe another poll on how much of your net worth is in jewelry?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear over 100K on one finger. Why not? I wore a 50K one without batting an eye. I plan on eventually buying/upgrading to have at least a 5-ct one day, so 6 figures is definitely something I wouldn't ban.

It might be a while though. I prefer to spend smaller amounts on more items than one huge lump sum on one. :))
Also, grad school. I'm on a bit of a ban for the rest of 2015 anyway. :naughty: Just a bit.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One consideration for me is where I'm living. If I'm in a high crime area I wouldn't want to attract the attention a ginormous diamond would bring.

Other than safety, I say bling it up! Enjoy! Some people would plow it into an ego booster car!

Diamonds don't need much servicing, LOL.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much would I wear? No limit. How much can I afford? A whole different answer.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The sky's the limit. There wasn't a place to vote for over a million, but if I had millions I would spend millions. Are you reading this, Graff & Leviev?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd wear a million+.
But it would be a tiny natural red, blue or green diamond that nobody would even notice.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1421343858|3816881 said:
The sky's the limit. There wasn't a place to vote for over a million, but if I had millions I would spend millions. Are you reading this, Graff & Leviev?
kenny said:
I'd wear a million+.
But it would be a tiny natural red, blue or green diamond that nobody would even notice.
PS only gives 10 options for a poll :think: but please post responses outside options listed.

Honestly, I can't imagine wearing 1M on my finger no matter my net worth. :$$):

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1421343666|3816878 said:
How much would I wear? No limit. How much can I afford? A whole different answer.

+ 1

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I would feel comfortable in the 10-20k range, but I don't think my dh would go for it. I really love what I have now and appreciate that my dh doesn't complain about me spending thousands of dollars on bling.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thinking about our current and potentially future household income...probably at most 50K and I'll probably be in my 50s by then.

People think expensive jewelry is less acceptable than buying a higher end vehicle. The car is going to have to be replaced eventually and it will continually depreciate in most cases but the same can't be said of jewelry....I'm willing to spend 50-60K on a vehicle, why do I hesitate spending that for jewelry that I'll have for a lifetime and pass on to my kids? I need to ponder this and my priorities.... :lol:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1421353621|3816975 said:
Thinking about our current and potentially future household income...probably at most 50K and I'll probably be in my 50s by then.

People think expensive jewelry is less acceptable than buying a higher end vehicle. The car is going to have to be replaced eventually and it will continually depreciate in most cases but the same can't be said of jewelry....I'm willing to spend 50-60K on a vehicle, why do I hesitate spending that for jewelry that I'll have for a lifetime and pass on to my kids? I need to ponder this and my priorities.... :lol:

Yes yes yes!!! I will be willing to drive a used midrange car forever!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1421347928|3816917 said:

+ 1

Agree. I would have no problem wearing 100K or more on my ring finger as long as I had no problem affording it.

madelise said:

Exactly. I would much prefer wearing a more expensive ring that doesn't have the short life a car does. Happy to drive my old car for as long as it can be driven and then replace it with an inexpensive but functional and safe practical car.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise said:

Exactly. I would much prefer wearing a more expensive ring that doesn't have the short life a car does. Happy to drive my old car for as long as it can be driven and then replace it with an inexpensive but functional and safe practical car.[/quote]

I always agree with you, Missy :wavey: I love reading your posts cus I'm always nodding behind the screen! Hah!

I currently drive a 2009 Toyota Yaris I purchased used for $6k cash by shopping smart. My next? When this finally dies? I've got my eyes on something hybrid to save on gas :)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think could wear 40-50k on my finger without getting any side-eyes haha (given my career, where I live etc) :cheeky:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I could afford to buy it, or even pay the deductible if lost- there would be no limit. In my area I wouldn't be too worried about theft, or even people thinking it was real lol

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1421357774|3817006 said:
madelise said:

Exactly. I would much prefer wearing a more expensive ring that doesn't have the short life a car does. Happy to drive my old car for as long as it can be driven and then replace it with an inexpensive but functional and safe practical car.

I always agree with you, Missy :wavey: I love reading your posts cus I'm always nodding behind the screen! Hah!

I currently drive a 2009 Toyota Yaris I purchased used for $6k cash by shopping smart. My next? When this finally dies? I've got my eyes on something hybrid to save on gas :)[/quote]
It's interesting that the first comparison is typically with cars. My friends make fun of me of driving my diamonds in an inexpensive car. To them, the car should be more expensive than the ring. Fund allocation is a funny thing.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
I think could wear 40-50k on my finger without getting any side-eyes haha (given my career, where I live etc) :cheeky:

Depends- are you a cashier? :lol: (ya just had to say something huh..lol ;-) )

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
elle_chris|1421358311|3817018 said:
jaysonsmom said:

Depends- are you a cashier? :lol: (ya just had to say something huh..lol ;-) )

;-) :lol: Want to join in the fun!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1421357774|3817006 said:
madelise said:

I currently drive a 2009 Toyota Yaris I purchased used for $6k cash by shopping smart. My next? When this finally dies? I've got my eyes on something hybrid to save on gas :)

Thanks Madelise. Same here! And I love it when you are here posting. Great minds and all... :bigsmile:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is the same answer I was gonna say lol

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1421340634|3816830 said:
movie zombie said:
one finger?
I understand and wholly support :clap: but this is not a question about your total jewelry portfolio. Maybe another poll on how much of your net worth is in jewelry?

my point is that I wear 6 rings on the two hands each and every time I leave the house.......and those 6 rings are no where near my ring "portfolio"........in fact, I feel naked wearing only one ring even if it is my spess............

so, again, are you asking those that only wear one ring about their comfortable zone or are those of us that buck the norm invited to play?

trust me: i'm too cheap to have much of my net worth tied up in jewelry! :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The practical side of me won't let me go over the price of a small car. If it approaches the price of a car or real estate, then it should be a car or real estate IMO. I love bling. I love seeing it, but I just can't justify putting that big a proportion of my net worth into it.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Currently I roll in the 10-20k range and that's extremely high in my circle (we're all teachers). They all know I'm a (currently) childless jewelry nut so no one says anything negative, if anything I get compliments. I could see myself eventually spending and rocking more than that but I'll always have my practical limits :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris|1421339490|3816820 said:
Interesting thread, baby_monster. :lol:

I won't answer cause you know, I may offend someone. :devil:
Will be fun to read though.
Please offend me... :naughty:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1421353961|3816979 said:
marymm|1421347928|3816917 said:

+ 1

Agree. I would have no problem wearing 100K or more on my ring finger as long as I had no problem affording it.

madelise said:

+1000. You could not of said this better Missy!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be comfortable up to about 60k, plus or minus 10k. Maybe because that's about how much it would cost to get the kind of stone I really want. When it gets to 70k-plus, the numbers get a bit silly, for me personally. I couldn't have much more value than that in a stone without thinking what a ridiculous amount of money for something so small. But I'm good up to 70k at the outside, which I don't think is a bad sum. 8-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results