shape
carat
color
clarity

The Gem Trader drop - what'd you get?

S

SparkliesLuver

Alright, spill it! ;-) Who got what?

I'm especially interested in who got the Burmese red spinel. :lickout: Plus, did everyone see the mahenge spinel?! I'm sure the price didn't go unnoticed, either. :wall:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did not get the stone I was after. Oh well, there's always a next time. :wink2:

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry to hear that, Chrono. Care to share what you were after? If not, I completely understand. And yes, you're right, there is always a next time!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went for the unheated purple sapphire.

S

SparkliesLuver

I didn't get anything, LK. Although I wish I could have scooped up the red Burmese spinel. Gorgeous. I'm not a big purple fan, but that unheated sapphire is stunning. I sent the link to a friend of mine who I thought might want it though; however, I doubt it was her who reserved it.

Ah, Chrono, I wondered if it was that one you were after. :naughty: I can see why.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
The small burmese spinel is very nice. :love:

I have bought two similar sized stones from my Sri Lanka vendor - I sent him an email and will post when and where he is in Tucson.

He is a bit cheaper :naughty:

I like the australian sapphire very much....

S

SparkliesLuver

Marlow said:

I have bought two similar sized stones from my Sri Lanka vendor - I sent him an email and will post when and where he is in Tucson.

Cool, thank you, Marlow. I'll keep my eye out for that post.

You know, I actually like that one too.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I reserved the burmese red spinel. I love the color but am concerned I'll be disappointed in the size. Even though I have read the dimensions there is still nothing like seeing it IRL. Does everyone think the price is appropriate?

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, yay, I'm so glad it was a PSer! Exciting, woofmama. :D I knew I would have been slightly disappointed with the size but that's also coming from someone with quite large fingers/hands. I would have had to halo it (or double halo!) to make it visible on my hand. But the color...oh my. I think you made the right decision to see it IRL. I can't wait to see your pictures! I thought the price was appropriate, but I'm not an expert by any means.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price seems reasonable and so far, would depend on its indoor colour shift. Draw out an oval shape that is 5.5 x 4.5 and cut it out to get a feel as to its actual size.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Thanks SparkliesL. I wear a size 7.25 ring so not small fingers here either. I don't know how I would set it but most likely a ring or maybe a single station dbty style bracelet. It would make a beautiful pendant I'm sure, but then I couldn't see it ;))

Thanks for the suggestion Chrono. I will give that a try. I hope the color is true to the picture. I'll post a follow-up after I receive the stone.

S

SparkliesLuver

woofmama said:
Thanks SparkliesL. I wear a size 7.25 ring so not small fingers here either. I don't know how I would set it but most likely a ring or maybe a single station dbty style bracelet. It would make a beautiful pendant I'm sure, but then I couldn't see it ;))

Thanks for the suggestion Chrono. I will give that a try. I hope the color is true to the picture. I'll post a follow-up after I receive the stone.

I completely understand. My ring finger is 7.5 and my middle is, I think, 9.5. The bracelet idea sounds wonderful! I like pendants too, but I don't wear mine often because of that exact reason - I can't ever see it! I hope the color is true to the picture as well. If you do the paper cut-out (to see the size), feel free to post it here. :)

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I love seeing his drop every month - so much interesting stuff!

I have to save up for a car (or maybe two, figures right?) or I would have to be held back from getting the pretty light blue tourmaline:

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jan15ATourmPage.htm

I don't even normally like emerald cut type shapes, but that's really beautiful to me.

That and the fire agate. I'm getting a little obsessed by it and the one he's offering is really neat :)

Actually, I want the variscite too.

Please someone, put me out of my misery soon! LOL

S

SparkliesLuver

I do too, deskjockey! You know, I'm quite surprised that the tourmaline is still available. I would have sworn someone would snap that up. I wish I could help with your misery situation! ;-)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I haven't heard from Brad yet, but I now know that I did not get the one I asked for. I was really unsure if i wanted it anyway. I Was at the computer when the email came and was on the site in a second, but I waited three hours before sending a inquiry, guaranteeing
that I wouldn't get it. Congrats to those who did get their choices.!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
These are my both burmese spinel - 0,43 ct and 0,67 ct.

Woofmama - you will love your stone - gorgous color in both light condition and better than a ruby in daylight.

S

SparkliesLuver

Sounds like it worked out how it was supposed to, VL. I too was on my phone when the email came through, so I was on his site immediately. If my piggy bank wasn't set aside for setting my tourmaline, I would have reserved the red spinel. But, like you, I totally hesitated since I need the funds elsewhere. I'm sure it'll work out next time for you when you are certain. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That purple sapphire is gorgeous. I hope a PS'er got it so we get more pics!! :appl:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Def not windowed :D

Both pic are indirect daylight no flashlight.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow|1421329988|3816736 said:

I think this one is fascinating too!

The purple sapphire is gorgeous. I also liked the blue opal -- that seems really unusual. I wonder what kind of flashes you get from a blue opal??

S

SparkliesLuver

enbcfsobe said:
The purple sapphire is gorgeous. I also liked the blue opal -- that seems really unusual. I wonder what kind of flashes you get from a blue opal??

Oh, yes, that's the other one I was intrigued with - the blue opal! I'd never seen one like it before but I kept looking at it. I like steely blue gems though. Anyone have any insight?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1421330077|3816737 said:
Marlow said:

Cool, thank you, Marlow. I'll keep my eye out for that post.

You know, I actually like that one too.

The vendor is Athula Jayathunge - you find him from 28 January in booth # 15 DAYS INN GEM PAVILLION and also at GJX SRI LANKA PAVILLION.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
How long does it take Brad to reply? I emailed him last night about a stone but have not heard back.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I thought about the purple sapphire, but didn't go for it. I hope PS ers will post hand shots of all the stones, especially the red spinel!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really tempted by the Cat's Eye Minty Tourmaline - but I've got a lot of CS/diamond balls up in the air right now and one of them will drop for sure if I divert $$$ to that GemTrader beauty. If it's still around when things settle, I may well scoop it up - but if a PSer gets it meanwhile, I am so curious to see more pics of it, so please oblige!

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
There were quite a few I would have loved to have, but especially the spinels and that unheated purple sapphire. Hope to see pics from any of you lucky ones when you get them! =)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed about the blue tourmaline but haven't heard back. I guess someone else must have nabbed it. Hope it went to a PSer so we can see photos!

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Well so much for that. I see it's reserved now. I do hope someone here bought it!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Marlow|1421334737|3816774 said:
These are my both burmese spinel - 0,43 ct and 0,67 ct.

Woofmama - you will love your stone - gorgous color in both light condition and better than a ruby in daylight.

Marlow those pictures are fantastic, such beautiful stones :love: Do you have plans to set them? I've been googling moi et toi rings for inspiration for mine. So many idea's!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results