shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this is a good deal for a 4.89ct PANJSHIR EMERALD?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Its hard to tell much from the pics. From the pics though it doesn't look well saturated. Which is the reason for the low price. Panjshir origin is not a guarantee of quality. I don't know about the fairness of the price, but you need a lab report from a reputable lab. Emeralds are very commonly treated with oil, resins, polymers -- often dyed -- and some are worse than others. You have no idea what you're really buying when buying without a lab report.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with LK. The pavilion also looks very fat as though uncut, so it is retaining a lot of unnecessary weight. It is also disturbing that the stone has to be backlit in order to showcase the colour. I wonder if this is considered a preform piece where the pavilion has to be cut? But this also entails a good bit of carat weight loss.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many white inclusions, fractures, which is unsightly in an emerald. That's one stone that would really benefit from clarity enhancement. Besides, in photos, you cannot properly judge if the fractures affect the surface too much. You really don't want an emerald with a lot of surface fractures, especially on the table.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've been on this forum for several years, and still don't "get" emeralds.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1421290555|3816561 said:
I've been on this forum for several years, and still don't "get" emeralds.

Laughing - I shared your opinion until a couple of years ago. I remember a college roommate insisted on one for an engagement ring and how bad it looked after a year...so I never got it either. Didn't even consider buying one while visiting Colombia in the 90's. But I've always loved the green of a nice emerald and settled for a green tourmaline for awhile...but now that I'm older and more careful with my stones, I couldn't resist jumping when I saw a nice one in my price range.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results