shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice needed for 5.40 GIA Colombian emerald

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
Had this stone certified 2 years ago and its a "F1" treatment. Should I put this emerald in acetone to remove the oils etc and then have it re-cerfied again? I can't get the picture to show real color of this emerald but its the best I've seen and almost looks like synthetic. Thanks in advance.

0112151017-1.jpg

0112151013a-1.jpg

0112151013-1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure of your intent. If you wish to have it reoiled, then I would let the vendor take care of removing any old traces and redo the treatment. If you just want it to be untreated, be prepared to be shocked by how it looks when the oil is removed, even in F1 emeralds.

gia_emerald.jpg

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1421079034|3815260 said:
I'm not sure of your intent. If you wish to have it reoiled, then I would let the vendor take care of removing any old traces and redo the treatment. If you just want it to be untreated, be prepared to be shocked by how it looks when the oil is removed, even in F1 emeralds.
Chrono, yea i want it untreated. I read that leaving it in acetone will remove the oil or resin....is this true?

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
I personally wouldn't attempt to remove the treatment myself. I would probably have someone who is quite familiar with the process perform it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AlexPark|1421079479|3815264 said:
Chrono, yea i want it untreated. I read that leaving it in acetone will remove the oil or resin....is this true?

Let a professional do this, and if you take away the treatment, I agree with Chrono that the result may be far less to your liking. If its a stable treatment, leave it in there. I would only remove it if I could retreat it again with a stable polymer like Excel, and if the existing treatment was unstable and/or colored.

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
TL|1421079864|3815271 said:
AlexPark|1421079479|3815264 said:

Let a professional do this, and if you take away the treatment, I agree with Chrono that the result may be far less to your liking. If its a stable treatment, leave it in there. I would only remove it if I could retreat it again with a stable polymer like Excel, and if the existing treatment was unstable and/or colored.

Before i sent to GIA, i left this emerald in hot ultrasonic with red BCR for a good 20 minutes. i was hoping there was tiny bit of oil left..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI: ultrasonic can further weaken any existing fractures in emeralds. Please be careful about what you do to any very expensive gems. Treated or untreated does not play that large a role in the value of an emerald as much as the colour does. Colour comes first, then the other Cs. You have not mentioned what the emerald was treated with. Either way, I would only let a professional handle this.

CirrusClouds

Rough_Rock
Trade
That's what I've read Chrono and I don't clean my rough Beryl in the ultrasonic cleaner. I mine my own gems and use the ultrasonic cleaner regularly to clean out the nooks and crannies.

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1421080458|3815276 said:
Just FYI: ultrasonic can further weaken any existing fractures in emeralds. Please be careful about what you do to any very expensive gems. Treated or untreated does not play that large a role in the value of an emerald as much as the colour does. Colour comes first, then the other Cs. You have not mentioned what the emerald was treated with. Either way, I would only let a professional handle this.

thanks for the info, i didn't know that.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Putting an emerald in an ultrasonic cleaner is like playing russian roulette with 3-5 bullets! IMO a good indicatition that your stone is quite
clean...

Awesome emerald - do nothing!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Marlow - it's beautiful, just leave it alone!!! :errrr:

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
wow the value of that emerald must be huge

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the stone's origin?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Please consider the good advice in this thread. The stone looks great. I would personally leave it alone.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My inexperienced eye is also screaming to leave it alone!! An Emerald is a nightmare to photograph due to the green blob effect from what I have read and what everyone here probably already knows (lol); if the photo is not representative of the colour and your emerald has better color - well, you better keep your address secret or else you may have this long haired, tattoo'd Aussie boy showing up to look at it!! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results