shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding between 2 settings!

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I need help! I purchased the original setting because it was different than the traditional channel setting; however, I am now afraid the diamond sits to high. The band has a wider depth. I think that may be contributing to the high look. I don't want to bang my diamond around. I am still within my 60 days, but I need to make a decision asap. What do you all think? Advice is greatly appreciated! Should I keep what I have or have it reset in the other one??

photo_1073.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the one on the right a lot better!

ETA - just wanted to comment a bit more - I just prefer the slightly more delicate look of the one on the right - except for the height issue, do you like your current setting? If you do, I wouldn't switch it, I think you can adjust to the height, rings get banged sometimes no matter what height they are.

FourMine

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello,

I wouldn't worry too much and scrample to replace the ring with the traditional channel setting, especially if you like the current one you purchased. If the only reason you're considering another setting than the one you purchased is that the diamond might get damaged, I wouldn't worry too much. If a reputable jeweler crafted your ring, it should be fine and follow high quality standards.

Because you have six prongs, it will help against wear and tear and the ring hitting objects. Think of the size prongs as your diamond's line of defense against objects that could hit it. This doesn't mean the diamond is impenetrable. Simply that it is protected. The odds of something chipping your diamond from above are not high.

I think you'll be fine and shouldn't worry too much! Hope this helps you make a decision!

Thank you,
Anubh

Four Mine
Gemologist
www.fourmine.com

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I am trying to upload more pics, but they won't attach. I will keep trying... :)

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Is anyone else having trouble posting pics? I have tried all afternoon to post more pics of the settings with no luck!

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the input. I like both settings, but picked the original one because it has baguettes along with the round diamonds. I wanted something different. I do; however, still love a classic look (like the one on the right). I didn't know when I picked the first setting that my diamond would sit so high. I talked with the jeweler and the only way to lower it is to have the culet sitting in a little hole (sunk). I'm not too keen on that, as I feel it is important to see and clean the culet. Decisions, decisions! Especially when it is something I am going to be wearing the rest of my life! It was a challenge for me to find a setting anyway because I prefer yellow gold. There were tons of other options in white gold and platinum. Maybe one day yellow gold will make a real come back! LOL

I really wish I could get the other pics to attach because this isn't the best pic. I have tried to upload 3 more pics with no success.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Based on just the one picture, I prefer the setting on the right. I really like channel settings! And yellow gold, for that matter.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the one on the right. But... I'm not the one wearing it.

If you are the one wearing it... you really need to pick.

If you are NOT the one wearing it, then that person's tastes are what matters.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The one on the right looks lower, but it is also with a head for a smaller diamond. The head style you have chosen is excellent for protecting your diamond and is going to be higher than a light weight head that will set lower. The rings on the left are also thicker, probably because the diamonds in the channel appear to be bigger, and thus with more depth than the diamonds on the right hand rings.

Both rings appear to be well made from the picture that we have, so now it is up to you to decide which you like best.

Wink

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Wink|1421285435|3816515 said:
The one on the right looks lower, but it is also with a head for a smaller diamond.

This is what I was thinking when I saw the photos. I like both settings, but wonder if with a head properly sized for your stone that the one on the right will really be that much lower. I like the original setting, but I have a high setting and have gotten so used to it that I don't really notice unless I compare it side by side with another ring. I also have 6 prongs and have not had problems (knock wood) with damage even when I have occasional knocked it against something. I do take my rings off as soon as I get home, and I have a desk job, but I also have a toddler and I'm super clumsy. I think the settings are so similar in look -- just different proportions. The original has a nice proportion with your diamond. If you want it lower I'd get more info from the jeweler about what he can do to sink the culet down -- he may be able to do it in a way where you can still clean it properly without much hassle. Good luck whatever you choose!

ETA -- Just saw when you pointed it out that the original has the little baguettes.I've never seen that before -- adds a subtly unique twist to a pretty classic look.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Echoing those who said it's a head for a smaller diamond... I've done a quick & dirty Photoshop job to put the actual diamond/head on the "new" setting and I hope that illustrates what people are saying. It's a very high setting because of the peg head.

photo_1073.jpg

There are channel settings (maybe even with baguettes) that have a more integrated head where the culet of the diamond would be closer to the finger, e.g. in a donut. It might not make much difference in terms of accessing the diamond's culet to clean it (peg heads can cover the culet too!), but it could lower the diamond by several millimeters. It's worth considering, if you're concerned.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nicely done Evergreen.

Wink

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input. I'm taking it all in. I still can not figure out why I can not get the other pics to upload.

Evergreen,
Thank you so much! I was going to attempt that, but you did a much better job than I would have.

I will try again tomorrow to upload the other pics. They give a better overall view.

My other concern is that I don't want my setting to take away from my diamond. In other words, I want the setting to overpower the diamond.

Who knew picking a setting would be so difficult?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Both settings are lovely...the one on the left is unusual with the baggettes& rounds combo, but personally I prefer a more delicate setting and my fav is the one on the right. But you are going to wear it...so you pick what is most pleasing to you.

I wouldn't worry about the height of the head and diamond getting banged around...doesn't seem like a big enough diff. in height to worry about.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I am finally able to attach pics again! More to come...

photo_1074.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
These pics are not as detailed because I had to size them down so they would upload. The original pics were much better. These really need to be zoomed in on to see the details...They also need to be rotated.

photo_1076.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I really appreciate all of your opinions and commentary. And believe me, I know this is ultimately my decision because I will be the one wearing it. However, I have never been engaged so this is new territory for me. I think the opinions of others offers insight. Things you may not have thought of. This is a very important purchase. I want to cover all bases before biting the bullet. (My 60 day return policy deadline is almost upon us. Yikes!) I knew exactly what I was looking for in a diamond and I am pleased with the choice I made. I had to be patient, but it was worth it. Now, if I can just decide on this setting, I can finally get engaged! :)

I won't be wearing the rings to work, and I try not cook or clean with my jewelry on. Often, I take my jewelry off when I get home. However, I don't want to be afraid to wear my ring when I'm out and about (grocery, junk stores, concerts, etc.). I will have a lifetime warranty, but I want to avoid any damage at all cost (of course). I am hoping to speak with the jeweler next week to see what he thinks. The one on the right may be too narrow for the setting. I know they will change out the peg head to a bigger one. Honestly, I am not a fan of these peg heads. I initially wanted a lower setting, but I am trying to stick with a setting from the same store we purchased the diamond from. They have a lifetime warranty. I also prefer to deal with a B and M store. In addition, as I have stated before, yellow gold settings are not abundant right now due to the popularity of white gold and platinum.

Thanks for listening! :)

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a choose a pair?

I prefer the small channel solitaire and the larger wedding band. Best of both worlds.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
The larger set is sold together. The other set (round channel)- setting and band are sold separately.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the right because the width is thinner and is a more delicate look.

However, if you like a thicker width, I don't think your current e-ring setting overpowers the center stone. When combined with the wedding ring I think it is a little bit too much.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
JulieN, that's another concern I have...that the setting and the band are a little too much when worn together. I want the diamond to be showcased. I noticed the setting and band look huge in the pic. Wondering if the really look that wide on my hand in person.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually it looks bigger in pictures.

Look at yourself in a mirror, that is how it looks to other people.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Will do. Thanks.

lilsweetie

Rough_Rock
I like the thinner one, so I would reset it. I am going through this myself a bit... I have a thicker shank on my engagement ring and I feel like it makes my diamond look smaller, so I would go for the thinner one if I were you. Just because of my personal experience at the moment.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thanks lilsweetie. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I definitely want the diamond to be center of attention, not the setting. It's funny how you think you want one thing, but then realize it may not be the best choice. I also started thinking, if down the road I want a wider look, I could always just add another band to the other side. With the setting I have now, there is no way to "thin" the look. How long have you had your wide shank?

kelmel

Rough_Rock
This side view shows how deep the band is. Another reason the diamond sits so high.

photo_2__1_7.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think about adding another band to the one on the right. One ering with 2 channel bands on either side?

kelmel

Rough_Rock
lilsweetie,
What did you decide to do about your situation? Did you get a new setting? Thinner band?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results