shape
carat
color
clarity

I don't get why some PSer advise others to wear ...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be fair. I work a shit job and "screw" my husband and that's only gotten me small diamonds. God bless any woman who does the same and managed to work big diamonds into that equation. :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1421206471|3816092 said:
To be fair. I work a shit job and "screw" my husband and that's only gotten me small diamonds. God bless any woman who does the same and managed to work big diamonds into that equation. :lol:

And THAT is the best post in this trainwreck of a thread :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1421209300|3816104 said:

And THAT is the best post in this trainwreck of a thread :bigsmile:

hahaha I hate agreeing with folks.... :mrgreen:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

This is f####ng hilarious :lol: :devil: :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Once again Niel comes through for us! Thank God I wasn't drinking anything when I read your post.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1421211862|3816122 said:

Once again Niel comes through for us! Thank God I wasn't drinking anything when I read your post.
I don't get it... :confused:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1421212698|3816126 said:

You don't have sinfully pink out, do you?! She means she would have spit it out from laughing :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1421212766|3816127 said:
Dancing Fire|1421212698|3816126 said:

You don't have sinfully pink out, do you?! She means she would have spit it out from laughing :)
I don't get what Niel meant by her post... :confused:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love you Niel!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: There are plenty of women here that rock small, medium and big rocks and either work or live in pretty mundane working class suburbia like I do. Yep boring every day social situations like students, cashiers and housewives. I rock up to my kids public school sporting a 5 + carat rock I doubt half the women notice - and the ones that judge me because of it are NEVER going to be the people I will be calling my friends.....

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a lowly bartender on the weekends and I love jewelry. I would absolutely prioritize saving up for a big diamond if it made me happy, and I wouldn't give a damn who side-eyes it. I respect people who get out there, do their best with whatever their life circumstances, and work for a living.

Bling 4 eva :dance:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mix simulated diamonds with real diamonds and gemstones, and only I know what is what, bite me.

DK :twisted:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I think we should get a t-shirt made "Will Screw for Big Diamonds" :devil:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I need to get to the office so haven't read every reply.. but man.. some of you really make me :lol:

Apparently I touched on a nerve with my comments- which makes it even funnier.

On a serious note-
Let me say one other thing (so the vultures can dive right in).. low paying jobs and big diamonds just don't go. It's just as silly looking as wearing them while doing charitable work (guessing many of you do that too). It's pretentious. It reeks of ghetto rich or new money.
Is that what some of you are? New money, or no money hence the anger at my posts?

Either way, whether or not you want to admit it, I don't lie, that's how it's perceived. Maybe not by you, the "Champions of Cashiers Everywhere", but yeah- way more people than you're willing to admit think it's tacky.

So- let the judging (from all of you non judgmental ladies) ensue. :roll:

Will try to get back to this thread tonight.
Have a great day everyone :)

eta: Woofmama - That T-shirt is a wonderful idea. I have no doubt many here would wear it proudly. :angel:

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a woman at my grocery store who is dripping in diamonds. I always figured her job at the grocery store was her way to fund her jewelry hobby, but she didn't NEED the job for anything else.

My mother is independently wealthy and can easily afford a 5ct stone. (Jewelry isn't her hobby.) She works part time retail. It is a way for her to interact with others, stay active, and keep some kind of routine. Just a reminder, not everyone who "folds your pants" is starving.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sign me up for the Ghetto Rich tee shirt. Woop woop!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris|1421246821|3816208 said:
I need to get to the office so haven't read every reply.. but man.. some of you really make me :lol:

Apparently I touched on a nerve with my comments- which makes it even funnier.

On a serious note-
Let me say one other thing (so the vultures can dive right in).. low paying jobs and big diamonds just don't go. It's just as silly looking as wearing them while doing charitable work (guessing many of you do that too). It's pretentious. It reeks of ghetto rich or new money.
Is that what some of you are? New money, or no money hence the anger at my posts?

Either way, whether or not you want to admit it, I don't lie, that's how it's perceived. Maybe not by you, the "Champions of Cashiers Everywhere", but yeah- way more people than you're willing to admit think it's tacky.

So- let the judging (from all of you non judgmental ladies) ensue. :roll:

Will try to get back to this thread tonight.
Have a great day everyone :)

eta: Woofmama - That T-shirt is a wonderful idea. I have no doubt many here would wear it proudly. :angel:

Honey - if you have to work I suspect you aren't from old money either, and generally women that are don't need to make crass comments about other people's social situations. But if you want to tell us all what you do for a living and what size diamonds you wear, we'll all happily step in and judge you, no T-shirts required....

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1421247070|3816210 said:
There is a woman at my grocery store who is dripping in diamonds. I always figured her job at the grocery store was her way to fund her jewelry hobby, but she didn't NEED the job for anything else.

My mother is independently wealthy and can easily afford a 5ct stone. (Jewelry isn't her hobby.) She works part time retail. It is a way for her to interact with others, stay active, and keep some kind of routine. Just a reminder, not everyone who "folds your pants" is starving.

My mother in law works part time at a sears as a cashier. Her husband I'm sure makes 6 figures, but she likes the company and getting out of the house.

She doesn't care about diamonds so doesn't wear any, but I'm certain they have enough savings she could sport a 2-3 ct if she wanted while she folds.

My mother on the other hand also has a high paying job in an office where it would be perfectly "acceptable" to wear large diamonds. Until I gave her my marquise she had a .2 ct antique solitaire. The shank was so worn it broke, and she never even got it fixed!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF always starts the best threads! :clap:

IMO there's one thing PSers are not figuring into this equation of who should be able to afford large diamonds. Not everyone goes for ideal cut top of the line diamonds. It's possible to buy a steep-deep included 2ct diamond for under 10K. I did it a quick search a came up with a few EGL stones in 2ct range for under 7K. Here's an example of 2.05ct H SI2 for $6268
http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=15502771&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1421247812|3816220 said:

I'll take one of those too :devil:

I was trying to be neutral in my response in this thread. Re: my post talking about cashiering at my business & wearing bling.
Also enjoyed a bit of humor with some of the comments. But honestly now I'm offended by the last post from Elle Chris.
Insinuating that unless you're born into money or marry into money you can't have nice things is ridiculous. I have earned all of my money to buy nice things myself & come from a middle class background. My DH has a blue collar job & I have always worked. I'm proud of my accomplishments and even prouder that I improved our financial status in life. I would love to see every bling loving woman wearing whatever makes her happy be it behind a cash register, a bar or at the reception desk. When I started posting on PS I was happy to see what I felt was diversity amongst the members & the many socio-economic backgrounds represented. I never felt anyone on here was less than welcoming or that other members didn't believe all could participate.

ElleChris I have up to this point always enjoyed your contributions & love your taste in jewelry, just want to note, pretty is as pretty does.

Rock on ladies

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
woofmama said:
Elliot86|1421247812|3816220 said:

I'll take one of those too :devil:

I was trying to be neutral in my response in this thread. Re: my post talking about cashiering at my business & wearing bling.
Also enjoyed a bit of humor with some of the comments. But honestly now I'm offended by the last post from Elle Chris.
Insinuating that unless you're born into money or marry into money you can't have nice things is ridiculous. I have earned all of my money to buy nice things myself & come from a middle class background. My DH has a blue collar job & I have always worked. I'm proud of my accomplishments and even prouder that I improved our financial status in life. I would love to see every bling loving woman wearing whatever makes her happy be it behind a cash register, a bar or at the reception desk. When I started posting on PS I was happy to see what I felt was diversity amongst the members & the many socio-economic backgrounds represented. I never felt anyone on here was less than welcoming or that other members didn't believe all could participate.

ElleChris I have up to this point always enjoyed your contributions & love your taste in jewelry, just want to note, pretty is as pretty does.

Rock on ladies

Woofmama, I'm only going to reply to you, because I remember you from the days when I use to post here and have always respected your opinion and likewise, your taste in jewelry. The rest of you, well I don't really care enough to respond to.

If anyone actually took the time to read my first post in this thread, they'd see that I said "lifestyle" plays the biggest role in my jewelry. Where I go, work, shop - all that decides what pieces I'll be wearing. I even said I know I shouldn't judge.
But in my "opinion" I don't think it's appropriate to wear big diamonds in certain situations, or in certain jobs. It does give a particular perception when you don't know the person.

However, I'll admit I went over board in this thread edged on by Mono's first comment. So for that, and only to you and baby monster (if she's offended) I do apologize.

As far as the rest of you, non judgmental, perfect ladies of PS... eh.. :boohoo:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of side eyes and judging ... :lol:

Ah, Hell ... there are tons of wonderful judge images ...

Clearly the topic of judging touches a universal nerve.

screen_shot_2015-01-14_at_8.png

screen_shot_2015-01-14_at_0.png

screen_shot_2015-01-14_at_1.png

screen_shot_2015-01-14_at_2.png

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1421254739|3816283 said:

lol.. pretty funny. Love Judge Judy.

You know what's not funny?
The thread that you started about Russia pretty much violating human rights- it only got about four responses (one of which is mine.)
But a post where a cashier gets the side eye, well that, that got two pages of responses telling me how terrible I was.

I get it, it's much more fun to act all righteous.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:dance:

_26037.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have a few comments. The word judgement usually has a moral component to it. Its not just a comment on something. Elle made a comment that a 3 carat ring on a grocery cashier looks odd, out of place. And I agree and for another reason as well.. How foolhardy someone would be to handle cans, bottle,s, and frozen food and pack it for a customer while wearing diamonds, muzo emeralds, and ceylon sapphires, and believe those stones would not sustain damage. So, if it were me I'd believe they were czs. I'm sure Elle was not trying to guage the checkout ladies position in the social strata, but only looked at a 3 ct diamond and thought it looked silly. And, again for me I'd have a hard time believing it was real.

All work is honorable, and people work for a lot of different reasons, but a 3 ct diamond on the grocery checkout cashier does look in- congruous. Is the job on PS to always find fault with what others say. Can't we just let them say it without undue criticism. Its getting much harder to even come here.

Annette

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
elle_chris|1421257793|3816318 said:
kenny|1421254739|3816283 said:

lol.. pretty funny. Love Judge Judy.

You know what's not funny?
The thread that you started about Russia pretty much violating human rights- it only got about four responses (one of which is mine.)
But a post where a cashier gets the side eye, well that, that got two pages of responses telling me how terrible I was.

I get it, it's much more fun to act all righteous.

I definitely do not think you're terrible, please don't say we all think that of you. I don't agree with your perspective but I certainly don't think you're some kind of awful human. I don't like the way it was said and I don't agree with your thoughts about it. And probably because I've been on the other side of many judgmental people giving ME the side eye because I didn't fit their expectations. So I make the extra effort not to do what you've described.

:wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love it when are the same on the outside as they are on the inside.
I dislike like the opposite.

Teaching shame and guilt for what's natural, universal and actually essential really Fs people up.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
elle_chris|1421182762|3815912 said:
Like I said, they'd get the side eye from me "even though I know I shouldn't".

As I posted above, lifestyle plays a huge role to me in the jewelry I wear. A 3ct while packing groceries looks strange. A 3ct while folding a pair of pants I'm about to buy, looks strange.

Maybe they have a rich fiance/husband, or maybe it was an heirloom, I don't know, I don't look that deep into it.
But my first impression isn't a good one.

I used to manage at a retail store in a very affluent Mall, we had an older lady who would work for us for 3 months out of the year to pass the time while she was down for the winter. Her arms were covered in Cartier and Hermes jewelry, she had 3+ Carat Studs, and a 5+ ring. She was very wealthy, and very bored, and loved to help other people spend their money (she said her husband preferred her working to spending his money, her lunchtime shopping excursions were something of a legend with us). But she was a just a older lady working retail to our customers, so she got a lot of glances with her rings and bracelets.

One NEVER knows what peoples affluence is. People could come from very rich families and are working because it's what they want to do. Or maybe the people saved money to buy themselves something nice.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock

I love it! :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'll freely admit it's a piece of advice I give in the spirit of do as I say, not as I do: I would have been in bad shape, indeed, if anybody had ever suggested anything like that to my husband ... our friends are equally divided into people who don't wear any jewelry at all, and people who buy modern branded pieces in modest sizes for the assurance of quality and good taste. I'm basically at the other end of the spectrum! Bring the bling, baby. :naughty:

I think it's generally suggested to gentlemen who refuse to consult their partners because it seems like a starting point. I think people assume that if a guy knows that his GF is The One Likeliest to be Massively Overdressed, he'll understand that he needs to go up proportionally (or, should she be the retiring type, go down). It's just that it's a metric that's at least vaguely relative to their specific lives, as opposed to the national average, or the stats DF tosses around ... better than nothing, right?

As for the question of displays of wealth relative to social status ... I dunno, I've never quite gotten what's wrong with being new money! My folks came over with a literal $50 in their pockets (and it was borrowed), and I've always been quite proud of them/us for parlaying that into a measure of success. I deliberately avoid calling it a modest measure of success, because, a) everything's relative, and, b) I don't believe in modesty! Always struck me as a form of moral cowardice. If you have the means to back up your braggadocio, by all means! Advertise your abilities via your success and your success via your abilities. If wearing a three carat diamond while working a low-status job raises eyebrows ... well, either it's aspirational, or it's a sign of hidden talents. Either way, I think it exemplifies one of my very favorite quotations, from Mae West: she said, "I'd rather be looked over than overlooked." Indeed!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People vary. Their comfort level in straying from the norm, in any number of ways (including the rocks they wear) varies. And getting all stereotyping here... younger women, especially those just starting out in their careers, are more likely to be concerned about not standing out, or less able to withstand being judged by their peers, than those of us who have been around the block a few times. Case in point: within the past week someone posted about being uncomfortable with the attention paid to her ring in her workplace and business meetings. Although many posters advised her to ignore the attention (and snide comments) and enjoy wearing her e-ring, she ultimately decided to get a less blingy eternity ring and a smaller solitaire to wear to work.

Also, some people are strong in their own opinions, beliefs, and preferences from an early age; others learn to embrace the concept that "your opinion of me is none of my business" much later in life. Again, stereotyping here... younger women, such as those who are most likely to be first-time brides and the ultimate beneficiaries of the advice being sought by many RT posters, are among those more likely to be concerned about fitting in. So while asking about what's normal in the girlfriend's social circle might not be appropriate for all situations, it is a valid question for some.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results