shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearly 2015 Projects or desired acquisitions

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pirard! I used to have gauges in my ears and took them out to have them close enough to wear studs. They are almost there, but dainty studs fall, I will try these! Thank you!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have no wishes for the year yet. I've been looking around but I haven't seen anything I don't already have.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1420873266|3814475 said:
Inspired by pkinnew and Gellner necklaces, I bought some spinel and coated sapphires from Etsy and separated my necklace into 2 lots, I need to decide on the length and spacing of the pearls, this should me out of trouble this weekend. :Up_to_something:

I can't wait to see what you come up with. Any progress photos to share? Are those white/cream beads coated sapphires?

Kay

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett|1420756660|3813741 said:
ennui|1420752417|3813691 said:
Kay, I can't really tell what kind of gemstones are in those necklaces, but wanted to say that labradorite rondels play well with Tahitians. It's a softer look than the black spinel.

I think leather and pearls look beach-y.

I Thought Labradorite as well... I also love smokey topaz and dark pearls.

I like the leather necklaces, too, but not sure I have the funds for both options.

Since you mentioned labradorite and smoky topaz, here is a little more eye candy:

Labradorite:

Topaz:

A rainbow of options:

gellner_big_bang_40in_labradorite_with_36_8-12mm_tahitians.jpg

gellner_pearl_style_6.jpg

gellner_pearl_style_3.jpg

gellner_multi-stone.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1420778682|3813880 said:
Kay|1420664039|3813117 said:
I’ve become intrigued with GSS pearls lately, especially after seeing IcyJade’s stunning drops from Golay and Sparks1007’s beautiful Jewelmer Noel pendant. I have never tried on GSS pearls, so I will have to see if they even look good with my coloring. I usually dislike shades of yellow, orange and gold in clothing, but these golden pearls have caught my eye lately. If they look good on me, I can see trying to buy 1 large, smooth drop for a pendant or mixing a few GSS in with the spinel necklace. Or I could go for broke with a long WSS & GSS lariat like this one:

Kay - I keep thinking that if you don't wear it much, the pearls in your new free-form white SS necklace would be good candidates to recycle in a mixed SS, or spinel, or with some other gemstone spacers (perhaps hematite?). The stunning part of that necklace is the clasp, but otherwise, I like larger pearls on you. Your mixed grey/white pearl power necklace is a perfect size, and I'm guessing you wear it more than the new white SS.

My bet is that you will love golden SS. :naughty:

I like larger pearls on me too, lol. I wear my mixed grey & white "power" necklace quite a lot. The only problem with that necklace is that it makes me think all my other pearls are too small! (Pretty funny, since this time last year the only pearl necklaces I owned were 7-7.5 mm akoyas.)

With the free-form white SS necklace, I'm trying to decide whether I should restring with the largest pearls near the clasp (but they are still only about 11mm), recycle the pearls into a mixed necklace (not sure what I would do with the clasp), or just return the necklace so someone else can appreciate it as it is.

I bet I will love golden SS too -- I just need to see them on me.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1421267974|3816391 said:
Lovinggems|1420873266|3814475 said:
Inspired by pkinnew and Gellner necklaces, I bought some spinel and coated sapphires from Etsy and separated my necklace into 2 lots, I need to decide on the length and spacing of the pearls, this should me out of trouble this weekend. :Up_to_something:

I can't wait to see what you come up with. Any progress photos to share? Are those white/cream beads coated sapphires?
Hello Kay :wavey: , thanks for the extra inspiration photos, I was going to mixed the beads in one strand but decided to do separate colours based on one of your pics you posted.
Finished stringing last night, I need to find a few appropriate clasp and chop and change the length a bit. Yes the cream beads are coated sapphires, or that's what they were sold as, not expensive, but the spinels were half the price.

The beads are sold as 2 to 2.5mm, the pearls are 8 to 9mm.

_26050.jpg

_26051.jpg

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems... these are BEAUTIFUL!

I have a handful of loose tahitians, have been thinking of stringing them with some smoky topaz!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I love those pearl and rondelle strands, LG. I think you completely captured the Gellner look. :wavey: :appl: :cheeky:

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely agree...simply lovely! The subtle sparkle of the stones and the lustrous pearls are to die for!

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Loving gems, those strands are GORGEOUS! I just love the way you've separated into a light pastel necklace and a dark spinel one ... stunning! Now I need a bag of Tahitians ...

And thanks once again to our muse Kay for the inspiration photos :)

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for your kind words ladies. I reread my post and wish I can edit it again...too late :bigsmile:
Ckrickett Smoky topaz is a great idea, I love greys, please show us the results if you decided to go ahead with the project.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, those are amazing, Lovinggems! Neck shots, please!

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous necklaces !! Where did the loose pearls come from ?

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yes, Lovinggems, neck shots please! Gorgeous!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
LG: very pretty!! What sort of wire are those and will they break? Any knots or you just slip the spinels n pearls in? Asking in case I ever get crafty (which I doubt but hey no harm finding out...). :razz:

Kay

Ideal_Rock
LG: I love how your necklaces are turning out. I am especially taken with the one with cream beads and golden, white and dark pearls. (Maybe this will be my GSS fix for the year.) If I ever get around to doing this project, I think I am going to follow your lead and do one long (36-40") necklace in white beads and one long necklace in dark beads, so that the 2 necklaces can be worn separately (single or doubled), or all together for that multi-strand look I love on the Gellner models.

Where did you buy the beads from?

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Trying to price out GSS for the Snitch project. Best place to get a simple round pendant? I was thinking TahitianPearl.Biz or trying my luck with ebay.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
One thing I want is out of stock right now, fortunately, since I'm still on pearl parole at home from my last spree. :angel:

It is the graduated lavender metallic strand from Pearl Paradise. A couple of the ladies here have it and I am pea green with envy! Fly Girl and Baby Nurse, I think? I want their clasp with the one teensy diamond on it (yellow gold) and perhaps some nice threader earrings to match, 10mm metallic round pearls and yellow gold.

Anyone else have that strand, in lavender or other colors? If so, please post pics!

Also, does anyone have threader earrings? What are they like to wear? I'm wondering if 10mm pearls are too large for them.

http://www.pearlparadise.com/p-3151-metallic-lavender-60-100-mm-graduated-freshwater-pearl-necklace.aspx

I am a writer (or think I am anyway, lol) so whenever I finish a book, I get pearls. It's a nice motivator. :naughty:

Anyone else have pearl motivation?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1421427129|3817435 said:
LG: very pretty!! What sort of wire are those and will they break? Any knots or you just slip the spinels n pearls in? Asking in case I ever get crafty (which I doubt but hey no harm finding out...). :razz:
Icy - I think she put the spool of wire there in the first photo. It appears to be a 0.36mm silver flex wire. It would not be knotted.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I had a design appointment today for setting my Sea of Cortez mabe pearls that I purchased from Douglas at the PP Ruckus in July 2014.

I finally pulled the trigger on getting the Sea of Cortez mabe pearls set. I've shopped them at a couple of places, but I'm finally excited about the design. I wanted a designer touch, but not an overly elaborate look, since those pearls need to be the center of attention.

The two smaller mabe will be dangle earrings with a small pink spinel accent stone at the top and the larger mabe will be a pendant and accented with a row of bright pink sapphires across the top. Otherwise it will be a simple gold wire setting, with everything being done in 18kt yellow gold.

The project will be ready for pick-up in March. A treat for myself to celebrate both my birthday and for surviving the worst of winter. :cheeky:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words, I hope they look good once finished, will definitely post neck shots for your reference.

katbran, I had a strand of small sized round Tahitian pearls and I took it apart for this project.

pkinnew I hope to see more of your black spinel set, hope you don't mind that I copied your strand, but it is just too outstanding, they are definitely more professionally made and special with the colourful hand selected pearls.

Kay I bought the beads from gemsjewelsbeads Etsy, I haven't bought anything expensive from there but if I do I'll just assumed they are treated and that I will be ok with this. Love your WSS necklace and hope you are keeping it. :appl:

Icyjade FlyGirl is right I didn't knot the necklace, I usually use crimps to close off the ends and french wire to cover the loop. I use softthreads threads and don't think they knot well. Hope they hold, so far the other necklaces are holding up reasonably well, the wire itself is strong and flexible, just need to make sure the ends are closed off properly.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
ckrickett, someone purchased some pendants from Pearl Society recently? What sort of wings are you choosing for the golden snitch pendant?

Seaurchin I don't think 10mm is too big. :bigsmile:

FlyGirl you can open your own jewelry boutique with your collection, you have impeccable taste and imagination, I am looking forward to your next project. :love:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yep. I can't wait to see the mabe set. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Also, I wouldn't mind having a giant pearl pendant, 16 mm or more!

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of those very big birthay years for me where I will be officially older than dirt. So I have been thinking about what my pearl list would have on it. I have several things that I have been on my list for several years. The first is the white and golden ss lariat. One of my favorites has been the very special white and golden necklace that Pkin had PP make for her. The mix of the color shades is perfection in my opinion. Next would be Sea of Cortez earrings or any special Sea of Cortez pearls Douglas has. This past summer seeing all of the special Tahitians every one bought from the PP sale made me realize I love Tahitian pearls most. Finally having gotten my "fat sisters" rope makes me know that this year needs to be a year of a very special strand of Tahitians.

My list for this year has only one thing on it. A double strand rope of light multi colored barogueTahitians. Like the rope Tilda Swinton wore in the movie "I am Love". Jeremy at PP will be on the look out for the perfect pearls for me.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1421604341|3818472 said:
This is one of those very big birthay years for me where I will be officially older than dirt. So I have been thinking about what my pearl list would have on it. I have several things that I have been on my list for several years. The first is the white and golden ss lariat. One of my favorites has been the very special white and golden necklace that Pkin had PP make for her. The mix of the color shades is perfection in my opinion. Next would be Sea of Cortez earrings or any special Sea of Cortez pearls Douglas has. This past summer seeing all of the special Tahitians every one bought from the PP sale made me realize I love Tahitian pearls most. Finally having gotten my "fat sisters" rope makes me know that this year needs to be a year of a very special strand of Tahitians.

My list for this year has only one thing on it. A double strand rope of light multi colored barogueTahitians. Like the rope Tilda Swinton wore in the movie "I am Love". Jeremy at PP will be on the look out for the perfect pearls for me.

Congrats on your big birthday year. I love watching the movie's simple, classic wardrobe, H bags, and Ferragamo shoes. Did you notice the mother-in-law's GSS bracelet (could be faux), Tilda's GSS pendant on gold chain when she wore the orange sundress? Here is a picture I found of the Tahitian rope. I look forward to seeing your strand.

tilda_swinton_i_am_love.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
seaurchin|1421441397|3817645 said:
One thing I want is out of stock right now, fortunately, since I'm still on pearl parole at home from my last spree. :angel:

It is the graduated lavender metallic strand from Pearl Paradise. A couple of the ladies here have it and I am pea green with envy! Fly Girl and Baby Nurse, I think? I want their clasp with the one teensy diamond on it (yellow gold) and perhaps some nice threader earrings to match, 10mm metallic round pearls and yellow gold.

Anyone else have that strand, in lavender or other colors? If so, please post pics!
seaurchin - I was looking around the Pearl Forum tonight, and I found the story and photos of those graduated metallic strands that were at PP in late 2013. They were purchased at the Hong Kong show in the fall of 2013. Kevin over at Pearls of Joy purchased some as well.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/october-24th-shopping-trip-to-pearl-paradise.194371/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/october-24th-shopping-trip-to-pearl-paradise.194371/[/URL]

Hopefully, they will find some beautiful strands on their next buying trip. I've decided that it is best to save up and then buy the pearls when they are available. My Sea of Cortez mabes will be set in time for my birthday, so that will be how I remember them.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Fly Girl|1421633284|3818667 said:
My Sea of Cortez mabes will be set in time for my birthday, so that will be how I remember them.

I can't wait to see the finished mabe pearls.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well Happy Upcoming Birthday ! I hope you plan something special... !! I think I already am older than dirt so welcome to the club!

I'm going to have to search for those pearl photos and get a good look at the pearls. I'm sure Jeremy will find the perfect strands for you .

I'm still searching for earrings..I think I've finally sorted out the sizes... drop WSS and then a big fat Tahitian drop..BIG..FAT..ONE!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Fly Girl.

Ranch Girl, I can't wait 'til you get your birthday pearls so we can see the pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results