clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline help

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
And many Piggy Banks will die......

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AP: thanks for your prompt response with pics. Based on what I see, I believe that stone is worth quite a bit. To give you an idea, I have two unset copper bearing tourmalines very similar to yours. Last Fall, I was meeting a friend and fellow PSer and so took a few of my stones for show and tell. A well known and well respected colored stone dealer and jeweler here in the SF Bay Area saw my stones and and was super excited by my tourmaline.

He had recently been at the Hong Kong show and said that prices for high quality, large size, untreated vibrant greenish blue "Paraiba-like" tourmalines of Mozambique and Nigerian origin (like mine and I'm assuming like yours) were selling for $10k/ct and more. He said they were selling quickly and at that price. He seemed genuinely interested in purchasing stones and was upfront in sharing that even here in the US, for this quality, prices of $5k/ct are "long gone," recognizing that even he would have to purchase at prices over $5k/ct. He says the demand warrants the price and at least in his shop, at that time he had unmet demand so was willing to pay for quality. Now yours is about double the size of the one I showed him (at this point, I don't even want to take my other one out of the bank vault!) so I can only imagine the per carat premium ascribed to one like yours. Lucky you and beautiful stone!

I hope you acquired it years ago and will reap the benefit of the ridiculous price runup should you decide to sell. :praise:

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1420827796|3814116 said:
AP: thanks for your prompt response with pics. Based on what I see, I believe that stone is worth quite a bit. To give you an idea, I have two unset copper bearing tourmalines very similar to yours. Last Fall, I was meeting a friend and fellow PSer and so took a few of my stones for show and tell. A well known and well respected colored stone dealer and jeweler here in the SF Bay Area saw my stones and and was super excited by my tourmaline.

He had recently been at the Hong Kong show and said that prices for high quality, large size, untreated vibrant greenish blue "Paraiba-like" tourmalines of Mozambique and Nigerian origin (like mine and I'm assuming like yours) were selling for $10k/ct and more. He said they were selling quickly and at that price. He seemed genuinely interested in purchasing stones and was upfront in sharing that even here in the US, for this quality, prices of $5k/ct are "long gone," recognizing that even he would have to purchase at prices over $5k/ct. He says the demand warrants the price and at least in his shop, at that time he had unmet demand so was willing to pay for quality. Now yours is about double the size of the one I showed him (at this point, I don't even want to take my other one out of the bank vault!) so I can only imagine the per carat premium ascribed to one like yours. Lucky you and beautiful stone!

I hope you acquired it years ago and will reap the benefit of the ridiculous price runup should you decide to sell. :praise:

wow thank you! I was planning to sell it to anyone who was willing to pay close to $20k ,but i guess i will just leave it in my safe for few more years.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AlexPark|1420828306|3814120 said:

wow thank you! I was planning to sell it to anyone who was willing to pay close to $20k ,but i guess i will just leave it in my safe for few more years.

Honestly, I'm not planning on doing that, because part of me feels like this is a weird bubble and that prices cannot continue to escalate in such a crazy fashion. I think it likely that they will find another source sooner or later.

AlexPark

Rough_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful gem.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1420828596|3814125 said:
AlexPark|1420828306|3814120 said:

Honestly, I'm not planning on doing that, because part of me feels like this is a weird bubble and that prices cannot continue to escalate in such a crazy fashion. I think it likely that they will find another source sooner or later.

I would sell it now but for much more then 20K - I agree that it is a bubble. Nobody knows the mining situation in Mozambique - maybe the find a new claim and the price will collapse sooner or later.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
OK. I feel the one with flash on a bit less saturated than I thought. And it's more greenish than the first few pictures, those are facts that can bring down a bit of the value. 10k? I don't think so. But 4-5k? Sounds about right.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
heh heh heh Marlow!

So pretty on the finger. :appl:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I joined PS to question a purchase of a cuprian tourmaline just about 6 months ago...did prices go up that much? :shock:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quick answer is that given the info we've all heard from the Hong Kong show a few months back, yes, prices have climbed for very fine quality stones. The OP's stone appears to be in this category.

ETA: I want to clarify: the pricing is a continuation of the price appreciation trend that has been going on for a few years now; its not like they suddenly jumped astronomically in 6 months. Also, you'll recall in your thread that we all thought you got a bargain price for yours then and were so excited for you. :appl:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1420854284|3814364 said:
The quick answer is that given the info we've all heard from the Hong Kong show a few months back, yes, prices have climbed for very fine quality stones. The OP's stone appears to be in this category.

ETA: I want to clarify: the pricing is a continuation of the price appreciation trend that has been going on for a few years now; its not like they suddenly jumped astronomically in 6 months. Also, you'll recall in your thread that we all thought you got a bargain price for yours then and were so excited for you. :appl:

laughing...point taken, wasn't suggesting mine was very fine quality. But I only look at prices when buying and don't recall seeing anything like these prices back then. (posted before I saw your ETA)

Nice stone OP and I would be tempted to sell too if its not something you are emotionally tied to on the other hand its like playing the stock market, yes?

AlexPark

Rough_Rock
lilmosun|1420855293|3814369 said:
minousbijoux|1420854284|3814364 said:

laughing...point taken, wasn't suggesting mine was very fine quality. But I only look at prices when buying and don't recall seeing anything like these prices back then. (posted before I saw your ETA)

Nice stone OP and I would be tempted to sell too if its not something you are emotionally tied to on the other hand its like playing the stock market, yes?
Yes it is like playing in the stock market. Good thing I bought it when it was a penny stock.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AP: how long ago did you purchase this Paraiba? That will help us all by providing price trend info (please note that I am not asking for the price paid, just the timeframe :praise: ). TIA

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm the "friend" being referred to here :bigsmile:

It's true - the auction houses will not touch a Paraiba Tourmaline unless it's from Brazil.

Also, one thing to note is that I don't see the top colour of PT in your stone (which is gorgeous btw) and it has the classic bowtie that you see in tons of pears - this won't be in it's favour unfortunately. As others have said, Hong Kong is the market for PT and people are snapping the top quality gems up left, right and centre. If you know a dealer out there, it might be worth seeing if they can drum up interest. You're probably looking at around $3k per carat.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
This is a really interesting thread, thanks for starting it OP and for sharing your tourmaline.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone OP!!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to buy a blue PT at some point once I've saved up some money, but flip flopping between getting it at the HK show (can see in person, much larger selection, and stones are generally of higher clarity and color), or trying to find one online which may be better price-wise. Prices at the HK show are crazy because Chinese buyers are buying as investment and a way to funnel money out of the country. :(

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Anyone have an idea on the price of a 1.56ct Brazilian in top vivid greenish blue. I sold a .50ct vivid blue a couple of months ago for $5,000 to a wholesaler.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
To the OP that's beauty. If you do want to sell let me know where you are posting the price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results