shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there such a thing as a dud AVC?

nzdiamondlover

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

Exciting news! SO and I recently went to a wedding (caught the bouquet, totally wasn't rigged :shhh: ) and something changed for him. We have always talked about getting engaged 'sometime' but now he is ready and has started saving seriously and said it should happen sometime this year!!!! :appl:

Of course my first question was "can I get an AVC/my dream ring?" He is happy with getting and AVC (despite the hassle and expense of getting a stone from the US (we are in New Zealand)), but I have to compromise and have the setting made in NZ. Of course with classic timing RDG closed down just a few months ago which would have been my obvious choice (I emailed them to see if there was any chance but no). There is a local jeweler who made my friends engagement ring and I think will be ok, I just want a simple rose gold solitaire setting.

So my question to you lovely experts, am I going to get an amazing stone if I choose any AVC? I have read heaps on this site and watched Rhino's videos and feel confident that they are amazing performers. Is there such a thing as a dud AVC? Or as long as I get an AGS 0 eye clean etc within my parameters it will be an amazing stone right?

Sorry for the essay but I know you are the only people who will understand my excitement!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are cut specifically to be beautiful stones. Sometimes it's more about what is and isn't available in budget. These are also stunning as well & I link them too giving the buyer hopefully more options;

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds?shape%5B0%5D=canera-antique-cushion&page=2

I am an Aussie so I feel your pain with the taxes and duties, tell your boyfriend having said that you can get a nicer more high end looking setting for a better price from the US.

jenniann

Shiny_Rock
Hi there!

I'm not sure if it helps but I've purchased several stones from GOG and currently own both an AVC and an AVR (yes, I have an AV problem :wall: ). All were sight unseen but through several years of browsing this site, GOGs reputation and various videos GOG prepared for me, I had absolutely no hesitation in getting them set before shipping them. I'm also in NZ too (Wellington) - where are you?

Personally, RDG is really the only person in NZ I would trust to make a setting I'd be 100% happy with but that's just me. However, there are a few other jewellers I've spoken to and would be ok to use for a smaller project - let me know if you'd still prefer to set it locally. I can also recommend a NZ appraiser as you'll need that to insure it over here.

In terms of shipping to NZ, if you want to inspect the stone speak to customs about a 'temporary import'. Customs won't refund the duty / GST if you simply don't like the stone but in some situations you can import something for inspection and they will refund the duties when you send it back. I've only ever spoken to them about it in the context of a coloured stone and that was a no go as they said there was no way to confirm the same item was being re-exported. They might have a different approach for a diamond that has a grading certificate - worth asking.

Oh, the only other factor in favour of setting locally is that you'll be charged GST only on a loose diamond but if it's set in a ring you get charged 5% duty in addition on the full value (no duty on loose stones). However, be very careful to check the insurance situation if getting it set here.

Hope that helps a little!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
August Vintage are branded diamonds from GOG.
They wouldn't offer an AVC for sale if it didn't meet the AVC brand's standards.
I have seen them in person and they really put on a superb light show!

I've bought a few diamonds from GOG and love everything about this vendor.
I have full confidence they will ship you an AVC that meets their lofty cut standards and will delight you.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I only have one AVC but it is beautiful. I think you will love one. I doubt that they have any duds, but I have only seen one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are highly unlikely to end up with a dud AVC because they are cut to very strict cut parameters in order to meet the requirements for the branding.

nzdiamondlover

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your replies :)

sparkleaddict: I am painfully aware that I would get a superior setting in the US but as my SO has compromised on a number of other things I am willing to have it set in NZ for him. Would love any recommendations your have, I am in Christchurch. I don't think we will bother with inspecting the stone just buy it sight unseen. I wasn't aware that loose stones aren't charged a duty so thanks for that! Makes it a little less painful!

Thanks again

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results