shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Maximum Size for Round Engagement Diamond

Maximum carat size for round engagement diamond for everyday use?

• <1.75

Votes: 21 15.8%

Votes: 9 6.8%

Votes: 14 10.5%

Votes: 5 3.8%

Votes: 14 10.5%

Votes: 4 3.0%

Votes: 20 15.0%

Votes: 6 4.5%

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • >3.5

Votes: 34 25.6%

• Total voters

superfluous

Rough_Rock
I'm trying to get a gauge on maximum size that would look and feel comfortable for someone that's a size 6.5. I realize that it may vary based on finger size, but what's the largest solitaire, round diamond for an engagement wear you'd be comfortable wearing everyday? And what size finger are you?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6.5 ct?... :lol:

photo_1070.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1421027901|3815069 said:
6.5 ct?... :lol:
heehee...DSS might set in soon!

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't understand the question . . . the biggest one, of course! :naughty:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sweet spot for MODERN rb diamonds is up to 3cts or around 2 if in a halo. However, if it's a colored diamond I could happily go up to 5. I have tried on stones this size in person and for a ring I wear anywhere from a 5.5-6.5 depending on the ring.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
when I tried on various carat weights to see what I wanted, 2 carats looked clownishly huge to me, so I settled on 1.7 for my sweet spot. Um, yeah, DSS set in almost immediately. I think I'd like to go up to a 2.5 carat diamond maximum, but I doubt I will ever upgrade. I wear a size 4.5.

Here's my ring, 1.7 carats.
shady2.jpg

reallifeperspective3.jpg

eirwen

Rough_Rock
I'd vote for something in the region of 8.5cm on a solitaire. I think hat would be perfect size for everyday wear if you're active and won't like your ring caught on things. But I'd love a 5ct asscher :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Though a fun poll, this really won't help in determining what a beat doe your situation.

What you want to look at is your girlfriend and her social circle. Does your girlfriend like big diamonds? Is it common for people in her circle to wear large diamonds or small. Is she modest with jewelry? Does she do a lot with her hands? If her friends have small diamonds would it make her uncomfortable to flaunt a huge one? Or vice versa? Does her mother wear large jewels? Sister?

Everyone here is different. I can say myself I would rock maybe a 2.5 just becuase my fingers are larger, but I find rounds get too much for me at larger sizes. If I went larger I'd want a different shape. And this is coming from a girl whos friends where closer to a .4 ct than anything.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, the working environment also needs to be taken into consideration, not just lifestyle.

For instant, when working in a manufacturing environment where jewellery and make up are not permitted, I would not be comfortable to wear a large diamond/CS ring for it to be removed and stored in a locker while I gown up to go into the production suite.

DK :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure you are going to get a normal answer here, many people on here love and have larger stones which in the real world probably isn't the norm....

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
My sweet spot is around a 2.50ct solitaire rb. I will eventually upgrade to that size. I currently wear a 1.15ct on an 8.5 size finger. Like a few others said, to go larger i.e. 4 ct plus, would be a radiant or cushion. :wavey:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I tried on a 5 ct., which looked ridiculous on my hand, and a 4 ct., which still looked a little large. I think I could swing a 2.5 ct.!

_25973.jpg

_25974.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's really a subjective preference.

I have a size 5.75 to 6 ring finger and I am quite comfortable sporting my 4.56 OEC. I am not self conscious at all and it looks to be the perfect size for me. I might even be able to go larger :bigsmile: but have no plans for that right now lol.

Go to the jewelry stores and try on all different sizes and see what you think. There is such a thing as DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome) and it is very real. Meaning what looks huge at first starts shrinking a bit with time till it looks much smaller. So you need to take that into account too. I would say pick the size that at first looks a bit too large and then it will shrink down to your perfect sweet spot size.

I agree it depends on lifestyle (an important consideration) and what you feel comfortable with around other people (not as important for some) but that never bothered me...what other people are wearing that is as I like what I like and don't compare myself to others but I know for some people they would not be comfortable with a much larger diamond than what other women are wearing in their social circles.

Good luck and have fun with it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others that you need to see what people in your area are wearing. I have a 1.08 pear which is large for my
area. I just wear my diamond wedding band if I'm not going anywhere special. I voted 2.5 but really in my area it would
look enormous and may get more attention then I really want.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto what has been said above -- location and lifestyle and personal preferences play a huge role in this. Ring size also isn't necessarily a good gauge of what something will look like on an individual's hand. It depends on finger shape and the overall size of one's hand in proportion to the body. I wear a 6, but my fingers are cone shaped. Others who wear the same size may have fingers that are narrow at the base but have a larger knuckle that the ring needs to go over. I also have small hands overall. So while I think that a 2ct MRB would be too much for my hand, it might look different on someone else. FWIW, I would prob be fine with CS rings that were equivalent or larger than a 2ct MRB mm-wise, or even an old cut that was larger. Again, this is all very personal. Good luck with your search!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course, most PSers will rock the largest size possible but for most people out there, it depends on the personal comfort zone. Some might find it gaudy or impractical to sport a 1.5 carat MRB daily whilst others have no issues with a 4 carat MRB.

MumsyPoppsy

Rough_Rock
A jeweller in London told me on average people in the UK wear a 0.25ct diamond. I like 0.4 or maybe 0.5ct max.

superfluous

Rough_Rock
Location and lifestyle aren't an issue. I'm mostly looking to gauge based on how it feels and how it looks (proportions).

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I can only answer for myself; it's truly a matter of perspective.

I'm a size 5.5 and wear a 1.1 carat round. However, I'd be comfortable with at least a 2.5 carat round. Having said that, I get a ton of compliments on my ring, it's quite blingy in general and I love it as is.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
superfluous|1421078888|3815259 said:
Location and lifestyle aren't an issue. I'm mostly looking to gauge based on how it feels and how it looks (proportions).

Each person's comfort zone and opinion of proportions will vary.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I voted for a max of 3.25 carats but that was with my 3.5 sized fingers in mind. At 6.5 I would probably have a higher maximum.
I think my dream size for my hand would be around 3 carats, but I adore my 2.02 carats and can't see myself upgrading (it's an engagement ring). I think a lot of people would say that 3 carats would look too big on me but I beg to differ!
I wouldn't compromise on cut or go below eye-clean SI1 for more weight.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1421079188|3815262 said:

Location and lifestyle may not be an issue for you but they are at least factors that many of us consider, which is why were saying our vote doesn't really help when trying to determine what's best for your girlfriend. Take her out to try stuff on.

Or look at her pinterest if you really don't wanna take her out.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel|1421080510|3815277 said:
Chrono|1421079188|3815262 said:

Location and lifestyle may not be an issue for you but they are at least factors that many of us consider, which is why were saying our vote doesn't really help when trying to determine what's best for your girlfriend. Take her out to try stuff on.

Or look at her pinterest if you really don't wanna take her out.

Sooo ... in reference to bolded point the first, I'd say a lot of it depends on the proportions of the person's hand. My own personal OCD theory is that a ring with a center stone looks "balanced" when it's the same width as the nail-bed, so depending on the depth of the stone, my personal sweet spot is ~9mm, or between 2.5 and 3 carats. But as Neil said in the second point I bolded ... the best way to be sure is to take her to try things on! Most women would probably get a little wigged out by a boyfriend measuring their nail-bed. :cheeky:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I really think you're better off analyzing your gf's personal style, preferences, and comfort level, not ours. As you can see by the results, a lot of people on PS are ok with large diamonds…32% are comfortable with the idea of wearing a 3 and a half + carat diamond. Not that there's anything wrong with that :cheeky: , I like big diamonds too! But I just don't think PS preferences always match up with what many people would be comfortable wearing. Would your gf be comfortable wearing a 3.5 diamond? Maybe she would be, but for a lot of people that is too large. And I think budget comes into play as well. You have to take into account how much you can reasonably afford

What is your gf's basic style? What are her other pieces of jewelry like? Diamond size is a very personal preference. I've been on PS for a while now, and I've looked at a lot of rings on a lot of hands, and people vary when it comes to this decision. I've seen people with 3.5 ring fingers rocking 4 carat stones with no qualms, and I've seen size 8 people who are more comfortable sporting 1 carat diamonds. I just don't think a poll like this is going to be of much help to you.

As I've said, I've looked at lots of rings over the years, and IMO a 1.25 - 1.50 size diamond looks lovely on a size 6.5 finger. But budget and what your gf likes should be the deciding factors.

superfluous

Rough_Rock
I realize it's best to get her opinion (and I have and will continue to), however, she hasn't owned and been wearing them for many years like many of you to really get a feel for size. Especially in the case of "DSS," what might seem big to her now may not in the future so I wanted to get many votes/opinions to compare.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
superfluous|1421084738|3815315 said:
I realize it's best to get her opinion (and I have and will continue to), however, she hasn't owned and been wearing them for many years like many of you to really get a feel for size. Especially in the case of "DSS," what might seem big to her now may not in the future so I wanted to get many votes/opinions to compare.

What is her current opinion?

superfluous

Rough_Rock
junebug17|1421084953|3815318 said:

Perhaps 3 but I don't think she really knows yet.

Also, I'm a bit surprised by the amount of people saying 3.5+, but at the same time, I guess I shouldn't be... but I'm not sure those that voted 3.5+ are looking at it in terms of proportions.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
superfluous|1421091578|3815360 said:

Also, I'm a bit surprised by the amount of people saying 3.5+, but at the same time, I guess I shouldn't be... but I'm not sure those that voted 3.5+ are looking at it in terms of proportions.

We are a diamond forum after all

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1421091849|3815362 said:
superfluous|1421091578|3815360 said:

We are a diamond forum after all

And you asked about MAXIMUM size, not what size we actually wear or would actually buy if we were spending our own (or our partners) money! I'd have been thrilled to have a huge rock if someone else was paying (not DH -- that's essentially my money too). I picked a ring that I plan to have as a "forever" ER at 1.3 ct (around 7.5mm). I've had it 8 years and no DSS yet.

Another issue that affects how big of a stone is comfortable is the setting. Some settings (higher, halo, etc) can make a stone look bigger on most hands and have an overall more blingy effect. A simple low bezel setting could look fairly understated even with a large stone. So its not just about carat weight (or mm size really), but about how the stone is worn, that affects proportion.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results