shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut dark gray Spinel?

Ninjo90

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I'm a novice with gemstones, but I am looking for the appropriate stone for my engagement ring, (I know that I don't want a diamond). Just looking for your expertise here! I love dark gray Spinel, but I've had trouble finding any pictures of it in a princess cut, which is my favorite cut.

Is it uncommon for spinel to be cut in a square? Can anyone offer what other stones are colored and cut in a square with similar brilliance, and suitable for everyday wear?

Thanks so much!!

P.S: I'd love to see pics of your colored e-ring!!

:wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ninjo90|1420751534|3813676 said:
Hi all! I'm a novice with gemstones, but I am looking for the appropriate stone for my engagement ring, (I know that I don't want a diamond). Just looking for your expertise here! I love dark gray Spinel, but I've had trouble finding any pictures of it in a princess cut, which is my favorite cut.

Is it uncommon for spinel to be cut in a square? Can anyone offer what other stones are colored and cut in a square with similar brilliance, and suitable for everyday wear?

Thanks so much!!

This dealer has a lot of grey spinels. Here's a dark grey one. I've bought from them before, so they're a reputable dealer. I would just go by the videos, rather than the photos, of the stones, for accuracy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPINEL-Natural-2-25-CT-7-38-X-7-22-MM-Great-Size-Untreated-Loose-Gem-12072639-/181623946832?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item2a49a17e50

Ninjo90

Rough_Rock
Cool! Will check them out! So I can buy stone and have a jeweler set it, very cool, didn't know I could do that!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I have a dark gray spinel purchased from Jeff Davies. http://www.jefferydavies.com/jeffs-shop/ You might what to contact him to see what he has available.
Here is my experience in buying my spinel, it was so much darker IRL than the photo showed. It has never ever looked like the photo.
I still like it and kept it but please ask lots of questions to avoid paying to return stones.
It took me a while to decide what to do with the stone, I know it would have looked better in RG or even YG but I found a setting in PLatinum at a good price so that's what it's set in.

I just set mine a couple of weeks ago, it's not my engagement ring, but I have worn it with my diamond wedding bands. It reacts very differently in different light sources, but sparkles like mad most of the time. A very interesting stone, that some on here would have returned I'm sure but it fits my personal style. I refer to it as my 50 shades of gray ring, but honestly it's more like 5 shades of gray ;))

Anyway a few pics for you:

I have another much lighter gray spinel in an oval but it's not set yet. I hope Freke comes along because she has had many gray spinels and can give you some great advice.

my_29.jpg

50_shades_sparkling_bands.jpg

50_shades_sparkling1.jpg

50_shades_sparkling2.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just passing by, but of course I saw "gray spinel" and had to take a look.

If you want a princess cut gray spinel, unless you get very very very lucky, you will need to ask someone to custom cut that for you. I'd put the odds as pretty good at finding a cushion gray spinel, as they are pretty common. I'd also ask Jeff Davies, as he has had a pretty steady supply as of late.

You didn't mention a budget or a size range for the stone that you were looking for?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would an asscher work? This has some purple in it, but its quare and gray and lovely,so I thought I'd pass it along
I love dark gray spinel, I hope you share your final product, I'm sure it'll be lovely
http://www.torraca.net/projects/spin947/

uploadfromtaptalk1420802198990.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420802209205.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love:

Both spinel are yummy!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cut is very uncommon for all coloured gemstones for a couple reasons:
1. It needs a deep piece of rough and most CS rough are not suited for this shape.
2. Pointy corners tend to chip off

Your best bet for a princess cut gray spinel is to commission a custom cut stone but if you are open to square cushions, you'll have an easier time getting an off the shelf stone. Also note that spinels are shifty little things and will not stay the same gray. It will show hints of purple and the same stone will range from gray to black, depending on the light source. The darker it is, the less sparkle you will see.

S

SparkliesLuver

Niel said:
Would an asscher work? This has some purple in it, but its quare and gray and lovely,so I thought I'd pass it along
I love dark gray spinel, I hope you share your final product, I'm sure it'll be lovely

Gorgeous, Niel! :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1420802242|3813939 said:

OP I totally snap this up, at least for a look if it's in budget for you! Asscher cut gems are mesmerizing, truly gorgeous IRL :love:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1420802242|3813939 said:

That one looks awesome. OP, this is definitely one I'd check out in your shoes :)

TrakHack

Rough_Rock
Niel finds the best gems!

I have two grey spinels, one oval, the other OEC. In all of my searching for grey spinels, I never saw a princess cut, so I agree with others who have said commissioning a custom cut would be the way to go if you must have a princess.

Mine are both shifty, and can look from mid-lavender to dark grey depending on the light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ninjo90|1420751534|3813676 said:

Thanks so much!!

Have you seen a dark grey spinel in person? If not, I suggest you do so because they can look very charcoal like and have little flash. Unless that's something you're going for, I would go for a lighter toned grey spinel. At least a well cut one will sparkle and break up the light.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results