shape
carat
color
clarity

Personal opinions of M color diamonds - Help my purchase

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
I was one of the lucky five winners in Pricescope's recent $1000 holiday giveaway - absolutely blown away and excited. :appl:

So I've decided now is the best time to put together my dream engagement ring - an AVR set in a dainty platinum bezel halo.

Now here's my dilemma, and I'm relying on the PSers opinions to help my decision - should I go for size or colour. I have a limited budget of around $4-5k. With my budget, should I get the largest one I can afford, but an M colour (around 1ct or 6.5mm), or the largest G/H I can afford but smaller (around .85ct or 5.9mm). I have studied the inventory like mad and feel like I know it back to front. There are Ks and L's in between those sizes, but I either don't like the cut, or the face up size is quite small.

I have read countless posts on warm coloured old cuts and AVRs, watched so many GOG youtube videos, and seen 1 or 2 warm stones in person and I think I like them, yet I am still anxious to make a decision and commit. I've only seen warm stones in jewellery stores where the lighting is of course very flattering. I can't have the stone sent to me for evaluation and return if I don't like it because I'm not in the States. My heart tells me to get the biggest stone I can afford. I want the finger coverage and to be able to see those amazingly stunning chunky facets! I think I'll love the warmth of the M, I like the contrast between the centre stone and the halo, but I just worry it may look too tinted yellow or 'off', like dirty or cheap for lack of a better word? I suppose I'm worried people may see my ring from 3 feet away and think I have a bad diamond because of it's tint? Ergh I sound so petty! #firstworldproblems. Mostly I only really care about if I like the diamond or not, not what other people think, and I'm fairly confident I will like it - I guess I'm just seeking other personal opinions of warm diamonds :) I want this to be my forever ever ring so I want to try to get it right the first time! I have seen MRB halos in person of E/F colour which I actually didn't like. It was far too white for me, lacked the personality of some warmth. A cool AVR might be a different story though.

I know ultimately this is a very personal decision which only I can make, but I would love to hear anyone's opinions to help guide my decision one way or another.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I'll bite. I *wanted* to love warmer diamonds. Aesthetically, particularly when cut well, I do find them beautiful... however, through trial-and-error and many purchases over these last few years, I have found that I find warmer diamonds pleasing on other people, but *not* on my own hand. (My trial-and-error purchases included an M-color AVC (GOG), an L-color OEC (OWD), an R/S-color antique cushion (JbG), and various I/J/K antique cuts)

If a return won't be easy for you, personally I'd recommend going with the color you know you'll love... from your post it sounds like you already have concerns about tint and others' perception of an M-color diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My magic color is a k. I love ks. They are moody without ever getting yellow. Plus the price is right.

With that said I do have an M marquise I bought (with my winnings!) And though the color is fine, its moody and does in fact get to yellow sometimes. I love the size and the price and the cut is soooo nice I could look past its moodiness from time to time.

I agree try and see an old cut m in person. That's the only way you'll know.

And best I can say is try and form your own opinion. Some people love them. Some people hate them and are happy to tell you that! They aren't wearing your diamond though, so make that decision for yourself.

As for size. I bought a .7ct pendant and felt like I utterly swollowed it up. I'm 5'10, fit enough but with very wide shoulders and the size, though very nice when I looked at it in my hand, looked so blah on my neck.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there is an easy answer for you. 100 people on here will give you 100 different answers. What is fine and or beautiful for one person will not be fine and or beautiful for another.

I will say old cuts generally mask or hide colour better than modern cuts. I don't like below about an I in RBs yet I own a J and a L in old cuts and they are fine. I had an AVC in a K that I sold that was fine as well.

It's a very personal choice the only way you are going to know for sure is by getting the stone in question or seeing it in person and deciding if you like it, love it or can live with it. AVRS and AVCs are better looking IMHO the larger they are (you see the facet patterns better or more clearly the large the stone is...) but if you cannot live with mid to lower colours then you are better off finding something you like in your budget.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I think when it comes to lower colors, you either love them, or you don't. With an M, you'll notice the color on it's own. Against pave, it's really going to be highlighted. But it won't look like a fancy yellow- more like a very off white.

If I were you, I'd find a jeweler that sells old cuts or antique jewelry. Their stones will generally be lower colors and you can ask to see them near a window where the lighting will be more natural.

An M is definitely not something I'd buy based off of pics or anyones opinion. It's something you have to see and decide if you love or not.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
elle_chris|1420647241|3812988 said:
An M is definitely not something I'd buy based off of pics or anyones opinion. It's something you have to see and decide if you love or not.

This. Especially since you are not in the US, and returns would be difficult, I would be very hesitant to go for an M without knowing for sure that you like them. I would get out to a some local jewelers and look at as many different cuts and colours in real life as possible.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Based on what you've posted, I think that you have too much doubt to pull of a warmer stone. Personally, an M would be way too warm for me. I have a diamond that's an I and even that appears a bit too warm for my liking from time to time. The only thing that saves my I is that it has an amazing cut and it is super-sparkly. I do sort of wish that it was closer to a G though. If I were in your shoes, I'd go a bit smaller and get a better color. Best of luck on your choice and congratulations on winning!!!! =)

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as looking yellow that will only happen if the diamond has a yellow hue, some do and others are grey, brown or green. So any stone may tend to look greyer or browner rather than yellow in the lower color. As a previous poster said it may look cream, I think cream comes from diamonds with a brown hue - not yellow.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A lot depends on the setting, and a lot depends on the body color of the diamond.

My general advice: "warm" diamonds can be tinted yellow, brown, or grey (they can be tinted any color of the rainbow, but the assorted colors of the rainbow are graded as "fancy" once you get past the first half of the alphabet). If I was concerned about color but wanted to maximize size, I would keep an eye out for a stone with a color complimentary to the setting I wanted. It can be a little counter-intuitive: I've seen yellow-tinted stones that look whiter than one would like in YG that really pop in rose gold (PS poster Ganesha had a lovely O-P cushion that looked delightful in a RG belcher setting), so my advice would be to check the stones out loose if you can, and to try them in different settings. If you're set on a platinum halo, looking for a grey tint would be safest: if you might be open to unplated white gold, that should give you some more options across the board.

My specific advice? Ask GOG to shoot a comparison video for you. In an antique cut, and in a 6.5mm size, I suspect the M color won't throw itself into your eyes ... whereas the size difference might. No better way to be sure than to trust the evidence of your eyes! Congratulations on winning the award, and can't wait to see what you end up with!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I have a GIA M OEC and I love it to pieces. It's not bright blinding white like a colorless ideal MRB, but it's also not what I'd call yellow, or super warm, or anything like that. As previous posters have said, old cuts mask color a lot more than MRBs - I wouldn't go below a J in MRBs, but on the flip side, I really dislike OECs higher than J. My sweet spot for OECs is K/L/M, to my eyes that's where you get all the personality, charm, and appeal of an old cut without super noticeable warmth and color.

But as others have pointed out, color is a very personal thing and for every person who loves "warmer" OECs there will be another person who dislikes them. Kind of like how I don't like MRBs, at all, but lots of people do and it's the most widely recommended stone type on this board.

Are there any antique/vintage jewelry shops near you where you could go see a range of different colored old cuts before making a decision? That would be the best course of action, I think, because you *may* not like an M. By the same token you may love it. The only way to know for sure is to see one in person.

hidingpearl

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone :)

Niel - I do think a K would be a safer option when it's going to be sight unseen, but there is a fairly decent price hike between a K and an M. And for only two colour grades difference, I think I'd rather the larger size. I don't have the daintiest of hands, I'm actually quite self conscious of them at times, and I know that a 6.5mm in a halo looks well balanced on my hand and is more flattering. Congrats on your win too by the way!

Arkieb - that's sort of my thoughts too. Larger AVRs look incredible and the facets are more visible. I really want to be able to tell my diamond is a vintage cut! I've been to local antique jewellery stores which only really sell smaller diamonds (<1ct), and I have to really scrutinize the stones to tell which ones are MRB or OECs. I want my stone's facets to really pop and be obvious that it's an AVR if I'm going to be paying the premium.

luvsdmb - that's a lovely suggestion but the stone is a bit too much $ for my budget, and I can't use my gift voucher at that jeweler. My finger size is 6.5 - 6.75. Yes I have considered buying an old stone but I do really want an AVR :oops:

Circe - Thanks, that's good advice.

star sparkle - I really appreciate reading your experience. Your ring is so lovely. I do have one or two antique jewellery stores near me, but I have visited them so many times, all the staff recognise me now and I just can't bring myself to go in again! I won't be making a purchase from them so I'll feel guilty. I do remember seeing a stone that was quite obviously tinted, and I didn't mind it at all. But again, that was under all the LED lights, so I didn't get to see the stone in natural daylight/shade etc. Maybe I will just have to visit one more time!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just last night I saw a bunch of middle-of-the-alphabet diamonds in a restaurant that was dimly lit but with spotlighting.
They all sparkled fantastically! ... and for a given budget you get a huge diamond.

But for my hand I prefer more colorless.
I don't mind that it's a smaller and less impressive-looking to the public, which only understands size.
I understand what I paid for.

But it doesn't matter what I like, or even what the majority likes.
It only matters what you like.

Then again there's nothing wrong with sampling the crowd or being influenced by what the majority likes ... but a thread on PS soliciting opinions on Ms will not give you a true sample of the crowd.
PS has a culture where the vast majority of posters will only say 'nice' things.
Most PSers who don't like M-colored diamonds will just not post. (Mommy taught, "If you can't say anything nice ...")
Only a few of us just speak our minds without the niceness-censor and that ruffles feathers here.

Sales numbers would be a much more accurate way to sample the crowd's color preference.
If you prefer buying what the 'majority' buy I think the color grade H is around the peak of the bell curve of sales.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an avc five stone of J/K's and traded it back in for avc L/M's and did a three stone. It's my engagement ring. That's my own personal preference. They suit me. I had one of them with me at the same time as I had the J/K's so I could compare, and I just prefer the L/M's. It's hard to say if returns are going to be a hassle, what to do. It was a hassle to do the whole back and forth returns and whatnot, even being in the US. But having said that, if it's your ering, I feel that's kinda important and worth it to make *sure* you know what you like and what you want. Especially being in the position to be able to design the ring yourself-figure out what *you* want, and sometimes the only way to do that is thru a buttload of hassle.

anners11

Rough_Rock
I can completely relate to what you are going through. I just had the same internal debate with myself. I have an ST OEC that's under a carat that I love and I have an OMB that's a little over a carat that an H that I love as well. I just recently started looking for my engagement stone and I knew I wanted closer to 1.5 cts. So I started looking around and knew that there was no way I could afford a higher color stone in my price range. I came across a 1.53 N AVR with SBF and fell in love. I just received it a few days ago and it's spectacular. Yes it shows some color but that's what I love about it. I love that it looks different in different situations and it gives off so many different colors. I plan on setting it in rose gold. I like the softness of lower colored stones in rose gold. I like the fact that my stone will be completely different than anyone else around me.

I had the benefit of having both a lower and higher colored stone already. Performance wise you can't go wrong with an AVR or AVC. I really recommend trying to find some stones of varying colors that you can look at in person and can see against your skin so you have a better idea of what will make you happiest. Good Luck!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you need to see "M" diamonds to truly know if you can live with one. While it isn't a cushion or AVR, I do have an "M' round that is very well cut. It is mounted in a halo of F-G diamonds and in certain lights can appear to me a tiny bit tinted but in most lights it is white and I don't see much of a difference between it and the halo diamonds. I must not be overly color sensitive. You need to find out if you are color sensitive or not. Here are a few pics of my pendant.

_25879.jpg

cmsmdiamondpendant3.jpg

_25880.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Catmom said:
I think you need to see "M" diamonds to truly know if you can live with one. While it isn't a cushion or AVR, I do have an "M' round that is very well cut. It is mounted in a halo of F-G diamonds and in certain lights can appear to me a tiny bit tinted but in most lights it is white and I don't see much of a difference between it and the halo diamonds. I must not be overly color sensitive. You need to find out if you are color sensitive or not. Here are a few pics of my pendant.

Very pretty pendant, Catmom.

I had my K h&a stone set into a platinum bezel originally. One of the reasons I re-set it into
a 3 prong martini was because I saw the color difference between the bezel and stone. It drove me crazy..lol..

This exactly why the OP needs to see an M in person - everyone sees color differently.

But if size is your main concern, then color really doesn't matter.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. I don't have a M but I wanted to show you a picture of warmth ESP bc a lot of warmth is not apparent in pictures. Maybe looking at an extremely warm OMC will give you an idea. fWiw I love my halo rhr.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
marymm|1420643988|3812970 said:
If a return won't be easy for you, personally I'd recommend going with the color you know you'll love... from your post it sounds like you already have concerns about tint and others' perception of an M-color diamond.

This.

I like M-colored diamonds for some things, but would personally not want one for an engagement ring. I think J would be as low as I personally could go for an engagement ring. M definitely has visible tint from across the room, and in platinum next to a halo it will be obvious. I think Ms look neat when set like that, but it's definitely not the usual look for an engagement ring. I also think it's important to consider how it will look next to your skin color - my skin is very cool-toned, so when you set something warmer-toned next to it, it is very obvious because of the contrast, whereas perhaps it looks different on warmer-toned skin.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hidingpearl|1420745539|3813628 said:
Thanks everyone :)

Niel - I do think a K would be a safer option when it's going to be sight unseen, but there is a fairly decent price hike between a K and an M. And for only two colour grades difference, I think I'd rather the larger size. I don't have the daintiest of hands, I'm actually quite self conscious of them at times, and I know that a 6.5mm in a halo looks well balanced on my hand and is more flattering. Congrats on your win too by the way!

Arkieb - that's sort of my thoughts too. Larger AVRs look incredible and the facets are more visible. I really want to be able to tell my diamond is a vintage cut! I've been to local antique jewellery stores which only really sell smaller diamonds (<1ct), and I have to really scrutinize the stones to tell which ones are MRB or OECs. I want my stone's facets to really pop and be obvious that it's an AVR if I'm going to be paying the premium.

luvsdmb - that's a lovely suggestion but the stone is a bit too much $ for my budget, and I can't use my gift voucher at that jeweler. My finger size is 6.5 - 6.75. Yes I have considered buying an old stone but I do really want an AVR :oops:

Circe - Thanks, that's good advice.

star sparkle - I really appreciate reading your experience. Your ring is so lovely. I do have one or two antique jewellery stores near me, but I have visited them so many times, all the staff recognise me now and I just can't bring myself to go in again! I won't be making a purchase from them so I'll feel guilty. I do remember seeing a stone that was quite obviously tinted, and I didn't mind it at all. But again, that was under all the LED lights, so I didn't get to see the stone in natural daylight/shade etc. Maybe I will just have to visit one more time!

I am sorry. I don't know how I misread it but I was so sure you said you were doing a pendant.

I know what you mean about finger size too. a size 7.5 and around here makes you feel like a size 14!

My advise stays the same.

Its so hard to make a decision like this. I know it was for me with my M. Some people love them. Some hate them. Makes it hard to form your own opinion when the opinions out there are so strong.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you again? I think you need to go and try an M or L on and see how you feel about it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops! I didn't attach the pictures. image_2301.jpg
image_2303.jpg image_2302.jpg
Maybe other "M" owners can chime in to say if they think their M looks as warm as this stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's mine in a few different lighting situations. At its worst and best and average.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I lied I don't have any photos at its "best" because IRS hard to photograph. But I've got some middle of the road and some more tinted.

uploadfromtaptalk1420770501004.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420770541190.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1420770588354.jpg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would buy this antique ring OEC 1.5c large face up 7.5mm and I/J color. 58.6% depth is not extremely shallow. The setting is gorgeous and platinum....she also just lowered the price from $4k to $3,750.00. Best deal I've seen on a budget. Pic's aren't great but looks nice to me. I would make her agree to a return policy though. The diamond has a small chip which needs to be assessed by a gemologist.

I have seen L and K color IRL and they looked really nice to me. Haven't seen an M yet.

Good luck on your search.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Diamond-Ring-/151542335670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2348a088b6

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I have an M OEC and I LOVE it! I really thought I wanted a J-K but with antique cuts I guess my eyes prefer a warmer tone because that's what I fell in love with. I'll be resetting it in platinum in a couple of weeks if you want to see the stone color vs metal comparison. The eternity band is platinum if that helps. img_6489_1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have looked at a lot of AVRs and AVCs. I thought I could go a little lower in an AVC than an AVR. But really, no one can know your preferences but you!

The AVCs shown below are L and M and they definitely show warmth. (The top round diamond is G color.) I think they'd be gorgeous with a white diamond halo, or set in a yellow gold bezel. I don't have a good picture showing actual color of AVRs, but my preference was I color over J.

img_6623.jpg

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 0.7 ct AVR and a 6.5 ring size. I think it doesn't look too small, but I'm living outside the US so my idea of diamond size may be different from other PSers. :)

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1420811889|3813972 said:
Had you thought about compromising and going for a K in the middle of the two sizes;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-93ct-k-vvs1-august-vintage-round-diamond.html

Or this stone is going to give you a decent cut OEC with a carat face up size and a white colour;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-97ct-i-vs1-premium-old-european-round-diamond.html

I think this is a great idea. I "had" a M AVC for a short period of time, most of the time it was very pretty, but for me the color did bother me.If it was a K colored, I probably would have kept it. With not being able to return it, I think this is also your best bet. With your finger size, this size will look huge on you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results