shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Earrings Advice for a Novice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MACROCK

Rough_Rock

It’s my wedding anniversary and I want to purchase my wife diamond earrings. I just started today and luckily I found this forum. I will definitely be steering clear of eBay. I guess the best way to describe what I’m looking for is the best possible quality without paying for differences that aren''t discernable to the unaided eye.

I heard once that the “quality” can suffer a bit with earrings vs rings because of the placement (finger vs ear). That could be just an urban legend which I why I looking for a little advice.

After reading through some of these threads, I’ve decided to purchase from a PS vendor. Any recommendations who might be best for earrings ? I have a budget of 5-6k.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Using the search by cut database here, plugging in the range of: .6 - .99 carats, H - J color, and S1 1 - I1 in clarity, these 2 from WF came up for me

this .801 H SI2 discounted to $2554, expert selection, and
this .857 H SI2 discounted to $3078 A cut Above
both are certed by AGS, the first has a diameter of approx 6.05, & the second, approx 6.06

Studs to attach will add $115

and should keep you in budget.

Oddly, although White Flash offers a nice "diamond pairing companion maker service on line" for you, their own system doesn't put these two together; you may want to ask them why, or get their opinion if this is an optimal pair. But, looking to a) match on diameter, b) match on both color & clarity, and c) keep the HCA score between 0 - 2 -- staying within your budget, this seems to optimize to me.

Best of wishes,

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
G SI1 sounds great. H - SI1 would too if the price is not convenient... there's always plenty of diamonds to choose from.

With not many shops offering comparable detail on cut quality it is a bit hard to compare prices, but the listings here should be of some help.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
MACROCK,
The second one you posted shows up as sold???

MACROCK

Rough_Rock
Since I was interested in the stones they fliped them to "sold".

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought a beautiful pair of diamond studs that are ideal cut from www.signedpieces.com . They are just shy of .75 points each and are H in color and VS2 in clarity. They are within your buget. HTH.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2005 11
6.gif
4:23 PM
Author: MACROCK
Thanks for the feedback. I spoke with Whiteflash today. These are the stones they recommended. Not exactly within budget but pretty close. They clearly match but I''m not sure if they are a good deal ?

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1292133.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_details.aspx?idno=1302984

Thanks again.
I think that, having consulted directly with them, you''ve certainly been given good advice (the tautology works). Regarding the details of this fitting your budget or not...that''s something you may or may not need to go back to WF on, if it does not. Relatedly, re pricing, since I would ordinarily buy with a credit card...the discount WF routinely offers to Pricescopre readers may or may not apply to you, and may also help to explain why they would recommend options that appear here to be slightly above your budget, but may come closer to it, if purchased by wire.

Best regards,

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''ll readily defer to most anyone on such aesthetic matters, let alone Lop; further, her comments are relatively consistent with the "ready set go" options WF also offers, where they top out at .75. Further, I had started my constraining at H, going down, based on an intuition of the value of a higher color at the ears.

One hates to leave money on the table. G is still lovely; if you haven''t captured height or ear lobe info for WF, perhaps they can help you further with that, as it''s possible no change is needed. Alternately, based on a bit of savings, another way to celebrate, from where it looks like you are, is to take a couple of hour drive to the Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver...I think they still do a high tea, if I''m remembering it right.

Best wishes,

MACROCK

Rough_Rock
Wow, this is such a great forum. Thank you all. I asked WF to come up with an option that would fit my budget and here''s what they came back with.

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1133341.htm

2. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1292129.htm

I asked for photographs, Idealscope and a Sarin for the last diamond but the first diamond looks pretty clean for an SI2. At least to my untrained eye.

Am I crazy to be considering this as an option ? Even if they pull the diamond and it''s "eye clear" ?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
No you are not crazy! H, SI2 is a great choice for earrings!
36.gif

No one will see any inclusions on her ear and the H will still be WHITE!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2005 2:56:59 PM
Author: MACROCK
Wow, this is such a great forum. Thank you all. I asked WF to come up with an option that would fit my budget and here''s what they came back with.

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1133341.htm

2. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1292129.htm

I asked for photographs, Idealscope and a Sarin for the last diamond but the first diamond looks pretty clean for an SI2. At least to my untrained eye.

Am I crazy to be considering this as an option ? Even if they pull the diamond and it''s ''eye clear'' ?
Characteristics work for me (and the first of their picks is the same one as my original suggestion); re the aesthetics...you''re going to have to answer to Lop and your wife.

I''d try to keep the Fairmont, though.

Cheers,

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Macrock...

Am I understanding this thread correctly? Are you picking out the diamonds separately to make a pair for earrings?

I am absolutely NOT an expert on diamonds, per se, but I do have some thoughts on purchasing a pair for studs. I think one can be a lot less "nutsy" about numbers, statistics, and paperwork than one would be if looking for a diamond for a ring. Earrings are often obscured by hair, smudged with makeup and lotions, and (in my case, anyway
20.gif
) don''t seem to be cleaned as frequently as rings.

To me, the most important factors to consider (after you''ve decided what carat weight you''re aiming for) is that that they are well cut, very sparkly, and well matched. I''d trust the EYES of a trusted vendor over written reports and lab certs to determine if two diamonds are gorgeous and well matched.

When I bought my studs, I had a trusted vendor do the looking and matching for me. He hand picked a very well matched pair of bright, white, uncertified extremely well cut diamonds that were I-1s (
23.gif
) and they look fabulous! Knockouts from across a room!

I just thought I''d share my experience. Obviously, with your budget you can go up considerably in quality/clarity, etc. I just wanted to point out that with a good vendor, you don''t necessarily HAVE to....

widget

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 5:41:37 PM
Author: widget

Obviously, with your budget you can go up considerably in quality/clarity, etc. I just wanted to point out that with a good vendor, you don''t necessarily HAVE to....

widget
Second that ! H/SI2 sounds great and the stone in the picture looks clean too.

I1 would be rather hard to find ideal cut - at least there are none on the list right now. If you want to go that way, perhaps some options will come.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

Date: 5/3/2005 3:44:31 PM
Author: Regular Guy

Characteristics work for me (and the first of their picks is the same one as my original suggestion); re the aesthetics...you're going to have to answer to Lop and your wife.

I'd try to keep the Fairmont, though.

Cheers,
Hmmm, regular guy... did I jump down your throat at some point in the past?
23.gif
I think I'm pretty easy to answer to
2.gif

Don't get me wrong, I would not turn down larger stones for earrings, I just probably wouldn't always wear them for more casual days. It would be nice to have them for the days I wanted to make a statement (you can never have too many.) It was just a thought about an option for staying within the budget.

Macrock -- these look like beautiful stones. I'm quality picky, and I bought SI2's for my earrings. I don't know how old your wife is, but believe me, my eyes could no longer see those inclusions even if they weren't eye clean! (That's what happens at 40 -- eye clean takes on a whole new meaning
9.gif
).

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2005 7:23:58 PM
Author: lop
23.gif

Hmmm, regular guy... did I jump down your throat at some point in the past?
23.gif
I think I''m pretty easy to answer to
2.gif
lop, actually, I usually enjoy your posts. Really just trying to stay clear of conflict. Looks like the green light is on, and so, even for a special occasion, the .8 carats would be lovely!

MACROCK

Rough_Rock

This is so helpful. I think i''m on the right track now. All that''s left is the setting. I was told there is a special larger backing I could get that would ensure that the earring would not sag. Is this a worthwhile option ? Should I start another thread ?

I''m taking my wife to New York for our 10th but I like the High Tea idea. Thanks regular guy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought oversize backings in white gold from a local jeweler and the are great!!! I use them with many of my earrings. Very worthwhile IMHO. No sagging at all, and beacause they are white gold they look better than those plastic jobs. I bet you could get them in platinum too, but I''m not allergic to white gold so I saved a lot of money. HTH.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oversized backs are a good idea...They''re more comfortable, too.

Another option is a"martini" style mounting. With these the stones sort of nestle into the earlobe rather that sit on it.

widget

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Widget is right. The martini setting sits more flush to the ear than other styles, and doesn''t sag. They make the earrings all about the stones as the setting just disappears. The big backs are good. I really like the locking backs, as they nice and secure, but not everyone finds them easy to use.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
I concur with the last couple of guys...

The Martini setting is beautiful. The three prong setting really shows off the diamond to the max, and sits snuggly in the ear as the setting isnt as deep as a basket.

I bought a pair of .25twc earring for my W2B from whiteflash (the ready to go ES selection) when I bought the diamond for her ring, They sourced a pair of Platinum martini settings for me (i know many say dont go platinum for earrings - I decided since as far as I probed - I found she wasnt sure if she could wear WG with out having a reaction to it - so I thought the little extra was worth it for peice of mind)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results