shape
carat
color
clarity

The average e-ring diamond size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Its funny becuase I always pictured those with more buting from small local jewlers or stores like Tiffany and Cartier. I know this is the norm for my region...how else would they stay open? But I guess they have a big enough mark up perhaps they could anyway. I know that if I had more money that would still be my route. There is just something nice about buying from your small town local store.

barbx

Rough_Rock
Hey Dixxin, newbie here -- I''m writing because my husband proposed 8 years ago with a .5 ct, which was a lot of money for him then living in DC. I lived in NYC where all my friends rings were at least 1+ ct so it seemed very small to me (and I had a pair of earrings that were .5 ct each, so I thought my e-ring should be larger). I convinced him to trade up to .78 ct ... 8 years (and 2 children, I might add
2.gif
) later I''m going for a 2+ ct.

I feel an immense amount of guilt about the situation because I married the man, not the ring, but being practical, I realized I wanted something that I would be EXCITED to wear on my finger every day. I wear my diamond wedding band every day but I haven''t worn my .78 stone in months -- once I got my eye on my mom''s new 3+ ct ring my own seemed... tiny.

Hopefully your fiancee isn''t as shallow as I am...
41.gif

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I recently read that the average is 1ct and cost 2,000 dollars? That has to be wrong...mine is .87 and my ring w/diamond and setting was 6500....I think they do not account for quality and assume it is just a solitaire??? i dunno...

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of the diamonds are sold by stores like Walmart and Costco. The internet diamond market is only a small slice of the pie from a total e-ring count standpoint. Thus Leonids charts are only representative of a very small segment of the e-ring market.

As I stated earlier. My earlier research indicated that the average e-ring in the US was between 1/4 and 1/2 carat.

I also find the claim that the average e-ring in any city of the US to be on the order of 2+ carats to be rediculous. A simple way to perform a reality check on this. Take the population of the area. Figure that 1/2 of the popultion is composed of married couples (and the other half by singles and children). There is an engagement ring for each couple - or about 1 engagement ring for every 4 people in the city. If you just have a city of 20,000 that makes 5000 engagement rings. I don''t think that there are that many 2 carat diamonds availabe (not even that many 1 carat diamonds available).

I am aware that this is a crude estimate. I''d like to see someone else dig up the ratio of couples to populations.

However, it does provide a reality check on claims of large diamond sized engagement rings. There are just not that many large stones available - even if you count the badly cut, cloudy, and "clarity enhanced" stones that some people purchase.

Loenid or Paul (or anyone): Can you provide a table on the availability of gem quality diamond sizes (i.e - there are lots of small diamonds, to just a few over 3 carats....). While most of the smallest diamonds are used as pave or accents, anything above 0.2 carats may be an engagment ring in the US.

Perry

Perry

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leonid, is that a summary of Pricescope listings ?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2005 11
6.gif
1:47 AM
Author: JessesGrl
I recently read that the average is 1ct and cost 2,000 dollars? That has to be wrong...mine is .87 and my ring w/diamond and setting was 6500....I think they do not account for quality and assume it is just a solitaire??? i dunno...
those are the mall jewelry store specials P1 clarity
38.gif
i.e.Zales $1999 for a 1 ct.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
What is P1 clarity?
33.gif
Anyone?

Thanks!

dixxin

Rough_Rock
Barbx,
I don''t think it is being shallow.. e-ring is something special something that many women should love and if size is a problem.. I have no complain but to do my best to give her what she want. She is not being unreasonable I know.. telling me not to buy branded diamonds and even wanting to buy a G when her initial cutoff was an F. Just to be able to save me the few thousand dollars.. Even willing to put in her own money for the diamond. So i dont think she is being shallow nor I think you are.. it is all debeer''s fault
emsmilep.gif

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am in my early 20''s as is my fiance and most of our friends. We live in NY, and I went to grad school in westchester which is a very nice area. Most of the rings I saw were between 1- 1.5 carats...on women who I KNOW were wealthy. I think people probably think that 2-3 carats is the "norm" here, but it''s not....maybe you just notice them more b/c they are well....very noticeable! My engaged friends have rings ranging from .87 ( mine) to 1.65

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
For what it is worth, I have sold 201 diamond earrings compared to 139 diamond rings for my current YTD.
The diamond rings sold for an average of 4.2 times more than the earrings.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2005 8:28:29 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
For what it is worth, I have sold 201 diamond earrings compared to 139 diamond rings for my current YTD.
The diamond rings sold for an average of 4.2 times more than the earrings.
Garry
yeah but.... what''s the avg weight of the e-ring stone?

dixxin

Rough_Rock
btw Garry is from Australia and over this part of the world i don''t seem to see much diamonds on the street.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P1 = Pique 1 = I1

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Cflutist!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
cflutist,
What does Pique stand for, just curious??

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 9:2:5 PM
Author: kaleigh
cflutist,
What does Pique stand for, just curious??
Try "poxmarks" ... something worse than GIA''s I1 and rightfully the bottom grade of another clarity scale (CIBJO).

ROMAN

Rough_Rock
First time posting here but I had to chime in on this one. I agree with everyone that said it is a "regional thing" In cities, average size def. increases but so does income I would imagine. I think 0.50 to 0.75 is a safe range. (Unless you live in the cities that use boulders for rings). It is unfortunate that something that symbolizes love can become a pissing contest. Some people on here have beautiful rings under 0.50ct so it definitly does not take away from beauty.
Good luck

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
"I don't think it is being shallow.. e-ring is something special something that many women should love and if size is a problem.. I have no complain but to do my best to give her what she want. She is not being unreasonable I know.. telling me not to buy branded diamonds and even wanting to buy a G when her initial cutoff was an F. Just to be able to save me the few thousand dollars.. Even willing to put in her own money for the diamond. So i dont think she is being shallow nor I think you are.. it is all debeer's fault"

(this reply got out of hand. It's not directed at the author of the above, nor anybody in particular. fair warning.)

Why is it special? As a gift? As a symbol of love? As something beautiful? Or as a way to attempt to pull rank financially over other people who have smaller rings? The last one sounds like the shallower of the motives.

Where's the Coco Chanel quote somewhere around here in somebody's signature about jewelry being meant to adorn you? People may have their reasons for not wanting to feel lacking, but there is always somebody richer, thinner, smarter, and better looking around. Size for the sake of size and at the expense of all other qualities is a disease, and not just in diamonds. Comsumption simply for the sake of being conspicious about consumption is a complete lack of values.

We can all go to our graves in "professional grade" off-road looking vehicles and $100,000 kitchen remodelings that no one ever cared about, all disposable, all a thin veneer of money trying (and failing) to paper over ugliness with allusions to an affluence, but in all truth a poverty of everything that truly matters.

$600 dollar blue jeans? Isn't that a symbol that the wearer is desperate mroe than anything else? $10,000 wheels for your $15,000 car? Impressive or an admission of stupidity? We'll buy anything as long as it costs enough. That's the whole point. Chasing diamonds for nothing other than size to wow people who don't give a damn about you? Something is supposed to be a "feel good" there?

Not sure of the original author, but it's attributed to E. H. Gauvreau whoever he was, talking about "...that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike." Funny but sad but true sometimes.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 10:35
6.gif
5 PM
Author: ROMAN
First time posting here but I had to chime in on this one. I agree with everyone that said it is a ''regional thing'' In cities, average size def. increases but so does income I would imagine. I think 0.50 to 0.75 is a safe range. (Unless you live in the cities that use boulders for rings). It is unfortunate that something that symbolizes love can become a pissing contest. Some people on here have beautiful rings under 0.50ct so it definitly does not take away from beauty.
Good luck
of course not.a nice ring is a nice ring no matter the size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results