shape
carat
color
clarity

Cut Grade Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jls944

Rough_Rock
I am trying to run the Hollaway Cut Adviser on a diamond I am interested in buying. Since the diamond is GIA certified, it only has the depth% and table %. How do I calculate the Crown, Pavilion and Culet?

Also, what is the name of the free software that calculates the diamonds'' proportions and deciphers whether the diamond is good? Does this program use the same information as the HCA does? Thanks in advance.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
See if the vendor can get the information for you....you really need those angles to use the cut advisor! Most online vendors at least can provide you with that...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

jls944

Rough_Rock
Yes, thats the software I was refering to, but doesn''t it only let you run calcs. for marquise cuts? Should I just use the HCA?

One other question. What is Ideal-Scope? I saw it on another thread.

Thanks again.

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/3/2005 9:33:34 PM
Author:jls944
I am trying to run the Hollaway Cut Adviser on a diamond I am interested in buying. Since the diamond is GIA certified, it only has the depth% and table %. How do I calculate the Crown, Pavilion and Culet?

Also, what is the name of the free software that calculates the diamonds'' proportions and deciphers whether the diamond is good? Does this program use the same information as the HCA does? Thanks in advance.

You need to request that the vendor run a Sarin on the diamond. Then you will have the necessary information on angles and other proportions to run thru the HCA.

The DiamCalc software is available for purchase (I think it''s ~$250); the free trial only works for marquise cut. Doh!
41.gif

For info on the IdealScope, go to the website http://www.ideal-scope.com/ or read the tutorial here at PS (there is also great info at www.goodoldgold.com). The IdealScope is a way to evaluate a stone''s leakage/light return.

jls944

Rough_Rock
Not that it makes a difference but does it cost money to have a Sarin run on the diamond? I am just curious so the jeweler doesn''t hold out his hand for money and I slap him 5.
1.gif
Thanks.

KrWz

Rough_Rock
Here is a link to a site where you can use the table % and depth % to determine the quality grade of the cut. Not sure how accurate it is but hopefully it helps you out.

http://www.diamonddoctor.com/diamond-value.html

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/4/2005 2:19:51 AM
Author: KrWz
Here is a link to a site where you can use the table % and depth % to determine the quality grade of the cut. Not sure how accurate it is but hopefully it helps you out.

http://www.diamonddoctor.com/diamond-value.html
These guys just claim there is some relation between the specs on the GIA cert (finish and numbers) and price. Which may be right... but they do not claim to predict brilliance from those stats. A whole different story than the HCA
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results